Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
gaigeboyd
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 195191
Default 1750 rounds in the Taurus pt111

I've had a Taurus pt111 g2 for 15 months now. It was my first pistol as I was on a budget. Since then I've purchased a glock 19 and that's been my go to carry for almost a year. I still like to carry the pt111 though as its smaller and easier to conceal. I have 1750 rounds in it and 3 malfunctions. 3 were with aluminum cased ammo, and the 4th was a light primer strike. The same bullet then fired out of my glock. I really don't see why people hate these pistols. I can honestly say I'd trust my life with it. And a LGS here can get them at 185 or go to a big name store and get it for 290. Worth the money if you are considering one or want a pistol and have a budget.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Taurus QC went way downhill during the panic buying of the Obama years, consequently many folks were burned with lemons. There was also a recall on some of their striker fired guns. So some folks no linger like or trust a Taurus gun. I have seen very few complaints about the PT111 other than the wonky trigger pull.
KernelKrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
nadnklipsch

AKaholic #: 191494

When I was still on the selling side of the counter I'd often point out that they have a lifetime warranty; followed by the fact that we send more Taurus pistols back than all other firearms combined for warranty work.
Glad you didn't get a lemon OP!
Old 05-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
hancadam8608

AKaholic #: 192984

I have 3 Taurus pistols, 2 tcp's and a PT92, all perform perfect (I've had many others in the past). But, there is no denying they have severe QC issues. If you get a good one, then it will be a decent gun. If you get one that's shoddy, your basically out of luck (terribly long warranty claim times). I look at taurus as cheap fun beater guns. I would never buy one as my sole defensive weapon, but if it's just something to Tinker with, they are decent, if you win the QC lottery.

But, here lately taurus imo doesn't have much of a market left with so many other cheap offerings from more reliable brands. The PT92 and PT1911 being to me the only exceptions.
hancadam8608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
gaigeboyd
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 195191

It is now my truck gun. But when I couldn't afford more than that, it worked flawlessly
Old 05-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

I hate to say it but my PT-111 G2 died around the 1,800 mark.

The spring steel that held in the mag release broke causing the button to fall out when releasing the mag. Then the extractor/ejector is FUBAR causing multiple (I call them 2.5 malfs) malfs in a single mag. Also im pretty sure the barrel is shot out cause that pistol is patterning more then grouping at 10 yards with quality ammo.

I'm a little disappointed to see really how "few" amount of rounds it took to "kill" the pistol. I was really excited to see what the pistol could do.

I might try to see how the lifetime warranty works with Taurus.
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 159323
Default Could be better

1 The trigger....ehhh.
The trigger pull WAY TOOOO long. But I have long fingers.

2 The trigger bar broke. And unlike Glock couldn't just pop another one on.
Had to send it back for $45 buck to ship a pistol. Oww.

Got it back. Trigger was the same. Sold it.

Was thinking about buying the PT111 G2-C. But my FFL had a PPS-LE for $275 OTD.

The G2 had 12 rds/good overall feel/decent sights/good accuracy. And after some slight polishing of the feed ramp worked perfectly. Till it broke.

MJ
Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
raggedwhole!
The Blue eyed devil is never lackin

AKaholic #: 172787

Taurus is junk. I hate them.
raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
raggedwhole!

You put 1750 rounds through the pipe. Great. There are still much much better 1911s out there.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
sigking
Mopery Scrote Supreme
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 8744

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
You put 1750 rounds through the pipe. Great. There are still much much better 1911s out there.
OP is talking about a PT111 not a 1911 style handgun.

PT111 is plastic like a glock.

History gets written by the winners, but common sense always tells the truth!

"When you eat human fetuses in cooking oil made from raw sewage this is what happens. Just a Citizen"

-
sigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
raggedwhole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigking View Post

My fault. Thank you. It's still Taurus.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
raggedwhole!

All those ones I saw a 9.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
timmy59

AKaholic #: 178435

I'd buy a hi point before I bought a Taurus
Old 05-15-2018, 01:49 AM   #14
Fire4Effect
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

AKaholic #: 181925

Congrats on ending up with a working and safe Taurus semi auto.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #15
NATO 5.56
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169435

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigking View Post

Fucking coffe shot out my nose on that one. Pt111 -- 1911 same shit lol....
Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171373

dwcopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #17
jwag74
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 41158

Well lets see, why don't people like Taurus. Here's my short list.

It's May 31st 2018 and they still haven't replaced my recalled pistol they received on Oct 19th 2017......

My average hold time to talk to someone at Taurus is over an hour.....

Their phone system automatically disconnects after a short message telling you their call volume is too high if your projected hold time puts you past their closing time. This is even if they don't close for an hour and you've been on hold for over an hour. Oh and they don't give you a projected hold time so you have no idea this will happen until the message starts playing...

When you do get a hold of someone they'll just tell you your gun is ready to go and in the que waiting to ship......apparently this shipping que takes months because they told me that about 3 months ago....then again 6 weeks ago....

And they'll replace your close to $400 45 acp with a $220 9mm because "we're sorry but we no longer make a compact 45 acp" so you get a 9mm.....

I'm guessing the other 10,000 people trying to get an answer from them probably would tell the same story.
"The illusion of freedom [in America] will continue as long as itís profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater." --Frank Zappa
jwag74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #18
paulb2112
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173821

My sons has 1500 flawless.
Rear sight came loose once.
If it crapped out today it was a great deal.
These where $150 with rebate!

If you are using a $150 piece for a go to then maybe tuarus is not the problem....just saying.
paulb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
JoeCorrado
SAMMICHES

AKaholic #: 193119

Whenever anyone wants to talk about Taurus, I always bring up their shitty QC, lack of customer service, and how lengthy the wait is for warranty repair work. There's a saying that buyers will remember the annoyance long after the amount of money saved. Or something to that affect. Third pistol I bought was a TCP for conceal carry. Finicky on ammo and couldn't go a week without developing rust on the slide. Sold and good riddance! Never again.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
ohlongarm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaigeboyd View Post
I've had a Taurus pt111 g2 for 15 months now. It was my first pistol as I was on a budget. Since then I've purchased a glock 19 and that's been my go to carry for almost a year. I still like to carry the pt111 though as its smaller and easier to conceal. I have 1750 rounds in it and 3 malfunctions. 3 were with aluminum cased ammo, and the 4th was a light primer strike. The same bullet then fired out of my glock. I really don't see why people hate these pistols. I can honestly say I'd trust my life with it. And a LGS here can get them at 185 or go to a big name store and get it for 290. Worth the money if you are considering one or want a pistol and have a budget.
Taurus,guns are junk.Their customer service or lack thereof is pitiful their triggers are the worst in the industry,i'd spend the extra coin and buy something else.Although I do have a 9 shot stainless steel 22 revolver that I've had for 20 years and it actually works,shoots shorts,longs,and long rifles.I did buy a 380 Spectrum out of boredom ,while it shoots good enough the trigger blows ,I will soon sell it at a loss.
ohlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #21
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

I dont like to pile on in a bashing thread but my experience with 4 Taurus handguns has been horrendous. Had a brand new model 85 .38 Special that wouldnt fire more than a couple rounds without the cylinder locking up (how do you fuck up a snubnose .38?!) Also had a PT145 that cracked its frame within a couple hundred rounds. Had a very early .44 Special 6 shot with wood grips and 4 inch barrel (431 I believe) that worked but was always inaccurate. Last was a Judge that just seemed like a crapshoot for QC. Fuck Taurus. If I won one in a raffle, I would sell it before taking it home.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
RobertFootball
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193636

If you need a reliable cheap handgun I highly recommend hi-point. They’re legit, their customer service is worlds better and they will send you a brand new gun no questions asked most of the time if you send one in for warranty work. If you can afford a little more there’s the SD9VE that’s on sale a lot of times, and even Ruger has the American or whatever the hell its called now. I have an old 90’s Taurus revolver that is actually quite good, no complaints with it. No it isn’t a Smith or a Colt but it’s a solid revolver and I have friends that keep trying to buy it off of me. I’m scared to death if anything new Taurus makes. Hell no.
RobertFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #23
praxidike
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 191101

They've sold a lot of those PT111 G2s, and not many have had issue with them. Of course, you'll have the naysayers who will use a few bad reviews as de facto evidence to claim that the gun is junk while ignoring the literally hundreds on YouTube that say otherwise. People usually will post bad news before those who are happy will post good news. Even still, most reviews are similar to the OP's. Most of the Taurus bashing is based off of problems with earlier and before Taurus switched CEOs a few years back. Since then, their QC has improved dramatically.

The PT709 Slim out preformed all the other single stacks on the market except for the G43 and PPS which it preformed equal too.

I've owned a total of 6 Taurus handguns throughout the years, and all of them have been flawless (2 PT111 G2s, 2 TCPs, Model 85, and a PT911). With that said, I'd have to agree that their CS still sucks, the turn around for warranty work is too long, spare parts aren't really available, and now that they change the warranty on all their new guns to only one year, their warranty now sucks too... For all those reasons, I would never buy another, nor would I recommend them to anyone else.
praxidike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #24
praxidike
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFootball View Post
If you need a reliable cheap handgun I highly recommend hi-point. They’re legit, their customer service is worlds better and they will send you a brand new gun no questions asked most of the time if you send one in for warranty work. If you can afford a little more there’s the SD9VE that’s on sale a lot of times, and even Ruger has the American or whatever the hell its called now. I have an old 90’s Taurus revolver that is actually quite good, no complaints with it. No it isn’t a Smith or a Colt but it’s a solid revolver and I have friends that keep trying to buy it off of me. I’m scared to death if anything new Taurus makes. Hell no.
Hi Point? A couple of years ago maybe, but now if someone wanted a cheap gun, I'd recommend the Ruger EC9s for carry, or the Ruger Security 9 for home and/or carry. Both of those are the Hi Point and Taurus killers IMHO. The only major con is that they only come with one mag.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
Martensite
Totally Phased

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
If you need a reliable cheap handgun I highly recommend hi-point.
Yeah, but it's a High-Point.
Martensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #26
uzitiger
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
I hate to say it but my PT-111 G2 died around the 1,800 mark.

The spring steel that held in the mag release broke causing the button to fall out when releasing the mag. Then the extractor/ejector is FUBAR causing multiple (I call them 2.5 malfs) malfs in a single mag. Also im pretty sure the barrel is shot out cause that pistol is patterning more then grouping at 10 yards with quality ammo.

I'm a little disappointed to see really how "few" amount of rounds it took to "kill" the pistol. I was really excited to see what the pistol could do.

I might try to see how the lifetime warranty works with Taurus.
Send it to them to have them repair it. They repaired my PT22 when it was firing double shots. They also replaced the magazine disconnect which I removed.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:04 AM   #27
Mrgunsngear
AKaholic

AKaholic #: 161751

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
Taurus QC went way downhill during the panic buying of the Obama years, consequently many folks were burned with lemons. There was also a recall on some of their striker fired guns. So some folks no linger like or trust a Taurus gun. I have seen very few complaints about the PT111 other than the wonky trigger pull.
Seems to be my experience as well.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #28
Lone Eagle
Resident Psycho

AKaholic #: 170792

Local shop won't even touch a semi Taurus. I did get a M66 7-shot .357 magnum from them for cheap, though. So far, it's performed flawlessly, digesting whatever I've fed it.

Lone Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #29
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzitiger View Post
Send it to them to have them repair it. They repaired my PT22 when it was firing double shots. They also replaced the magazine disconnect which I removed.
I know itís been talked about before but whatís the details of shipping a pistol?

Is warranty work different then just shipping a pistol?
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #30
Brasky
Best Damn Salesman in the Office

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy59 View Post
I'd buy a hi point before I bought a Taurus
I owned one and sold it but I will be buying one again someday. Mostly just to say I have one
Brasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:47 PM   #31
dsrt4

AKaholic #: 166492

I like my pt809 and pt840 a lot. I set my xl650 up to run .40 for the wifes carbine. I run the same 180gr lee powdercoated boolit through both the carbine and the 840. I run titegroup under it at the mid load data.

It's ran with no issues for 3 years and is fun on the plates. It has had well over 3k through it.

I load a powdercoated 124tc lee in 9mm for all my 9mm pistols and the pt809 hasn't had a issue either. I swap back and forth between titegroup and cfe pistol for the 9mm. Both the 809 and 840 are full size frames so they are really nice to shoot. Not as my fun as my bhp's but they fit the bill and were both bought for dirt cheap. I had a tcp380 that I never should ha e gave up. For a pocket gun it was great.

I'll probably get a pt92 in stainless if the money ever comes up. I have had good luck with my Taurus guns but I'm definitely aware of the problems they can have and the absolute horrendous customer service some folks are seeing.
dsrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #32
hebie82
Cat Herder
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 193869

Quote:
If you need a reliable cheap handgun I highly recommend hi-point. Theyíre legit, their customer service is worlds better and they will send you a brand new gun no questions asked most of the time if you send one in for warranty work. If you can afford a little more thereís the SD9VE thatís on sale a lot of times, and even Ruger has the American or whatever the hell its called now. I have an old 90ís Taurus revolver that is actually quite good, no complaints with it. No it isnít a Smith or a Colt but itís a solid revolver and I have friends that keep trying to buy it off of me. Iím scared to death if anything new Taurus makes. Hell no.
In my line of business we have a joke that starts out ďif Im ever shot by a high-point lie...Ē

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb2112 View Post
If you are using a $150 piece for a go to then maybe Taurus is not the problem....just saying.
For me its not so much how much you pay but I agree that relying on a Taurus is not the problem. I have two and bought them solely to shoot for fun. They will never be my go to firearms.

Im not Americaís Sweetheart. My kind of medicine is whiskey straight and I got a mouth to put you in your place.

Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Non ducor, duco.

hebie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #33
ohlongarm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaigeboyd View Post
Taurus guns have the worst triggers I've ever seen,I have a Taurus Spectrum,while it shoots to point of aim,and hasn't malfunctioned at just 50 rds,the trigger is way too long. I can't give this gun away.Concept is good,trigger ruins it all.
ohlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #34
Stoned_Oli
King of S'Marm
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
Taurus guns have the worst triggers I've ever seen,I have a Taurus Spectrum,while it shoots to point of aim,and hasn't malfunctioned at just 50 rds,the trigger is way too long. I can't give this gun away.Concept is good,trigger ruins it all.
The trigger on the G2 is different, more like a single action/double action. You have to pull it back a ways, but there is a step and then it breaks. I enjoyed using mine at the national shoot this weekend, but I do have better guns to carry. I only have about 200 rounds through the G2 so far.
It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigiloso View Post
As far as I am concerned all of you NRA detractors should have your own gun rights stripped, as traitors...
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #35
praxidike
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
Nothing wrong with the trigger on the G2. There's take up, wall, clean break, and then a short clean reset. Unless you mistook the restrike aka double action trigger as being the main trigger pull, I have no idea where your getting that from. It's not that bad at all especially for a defensive pistol. I've had much worse, and it's a hell of a lot easier to master than a revolver trigger and many other heavy DA trigger...

He demos the trigger around the 3:15 mark...

Last edited by praxidike; 06-25-2018 at 07:15 PM.