Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #71
TJCtalon

AKaholic #: 180564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Y'all View Post
"Other than MY story"?? Did you skip the dozen or so on this thread? The OTHER dozen or so recent ones on FB? Did you miss the Krink kit on this thread a solid 20 degrees out of plum? How about the AK74 squashed receiver,the VZ receiver ruined by a dremil? How many would it take to make you believe he's doing shit work lately?
Not sure where you learned to count... You really need to take a chill pill man. Dont jump on me, he isn't getting my business. Go take some midol, and bitch somewhere else.

"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them"

-Old Turkish proverb
TJCtalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:57 PM   #72
Thomas Y'all
Banned

AKaholic #: 186586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadly Missing View Post
Turbothis or BR7.62 are extremely talented.
I'd reach out to either as to the best course of action.
I've sent BR7.62 a message. I spoke to Matt a little while bach about some Type 3 EG rewelds I needed done and his backlog was over a year.After being screwed out of 2 years,I'm just not cool waiting another year. But we'll see, I own a total of 5 of the 10 OG receivers but have only tracked down 3 OG virgin RPK kits so I swapped out a receiver and bought a new barrel.
Thomas Y'all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:06 AM   #73
obrez1

AKaholic #: 196779

So after thinking and not jumping to conclusions; I know that he is going through a personal time, and he is or has moved And that can disrupt service, complete and entirely understandable. I can’t speak for quality of work without experiencing it myself however others can. His prior work from my knowledge is that it was stellar and now I can’t say because I don’t first hand however others can testify because they own it. I can testify to is that recently communication has completely broken down. Zero emails, No returned phone calls, which is bothersome to me. Frankly a simple “hey this is what’s going on, this is why my work has stopped, I’m having issues with xyz, etc.” I just need some form of communication to be opened. I want to be a happy customer, I want to recommend people, I want him to succeed, but with the error previously pointed out, it’s hard for me to do those things, which makes me upset. I want to be happy with my build, but being 1200 in the hole and with no communication for 2 months now, I’m worried. I just want communication.
obrez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #74
Thomas Y'all
Banned

As a fairly long term close friend(from my perspective anyhow) that was my opinion also,for the first year or so. At the point I was able to put the timeline together though I realized that the intentional lying had started long before his "personal event". Had it been just poor communication that's still not excusable but it would have definitely changed my current opinion, but I've seen a inarguable pattern of intent to fraud people and a lack of remorse regarding it all. Then on top of that,when I was called after my very first public "anonymous post for advice" I was not only guilted for my concern(23 months into the build), I was told by him that he and his fuckboy Lawerence were " The only reason a mob of mad motherfuckers weren't on their way to Florida to handle me". Line crossed,PERIOD!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #75
mattra

AKaholic #: 198342

I'm always surprised when I read about builders flaking out on customers and sometimes destroying or stealing property. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid, but I would think doing someone dirty, who obviously really enjoys firearms, might be bad for one's health.
mattra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #76
TXsailor
Definitely NOT a Russian spy...

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattra View Post
I'm always surprised when I read about builders flaking out on customers and sometimes destroying or stealing property. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid, but I would think doing someone dirty, who obviously really enjoys firearms, might be bad for one's health.
lol you're not wrong...
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #77
NorincoKid
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 9567

Damn that sucks.... Hopefully you get those all fixed OP
NorincoKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #78
nsjohnson

AKaholic #: 196170
Location: '1 was reviewed by AKOU and has been confirmed it can be stored in a lily pond to save safe room'

Quote:
As a fairly long term close friend(from my perspective anyhow) that was my opinion also,for the first year or so. At the point I was able to put the timeline together though I realized that the intentional lying had started long before his "personal event". Had it been just poor communication that's still not excusable but it would have definitely changed my current opinion, but I've seen a inarguable pattern of intent to fraud people and a lack of remorse regarding it all. Then on top of that,when I was called after my very first public "anonymous post for advice" I was not only guilted for my concern(23 months into the build), I was told by him that he and his fuckboy Lawerence were " The only reason a mob of mad motherfuckers weren't on their way to Florida to handle me". Line crossed,PERIOD!
And that Lawerence is exactly that.
nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #79
Bad Association

AKaholic #: 204231

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATTERY View Post
When you turn a hobby into a job things can go sideways quick.
I think it has more to do with taking pre payment for work and then having no motivation left to finish the job. Lots of shops end up dying the same way
Bad Association is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #80
Cowbilly
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Association View Post
I think it has more to do with taking pre payment for work and then having no motivation left to finish the job. Lots of shops end up dying the same way
I prepaid for demill, rebuild and return shipping. He was going to reblue or send it off for that but I emailed him to cancel that aspect-getting concerned about getting my rifle period back, much less a refund. Have not heard from him in over 2 months.

Anyone have any additional information or heard from him lately? He is apparently back to working some per this thread.
Cowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #81
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbilly View Post
I prepaid for demill, rebuild and return shipping. He was going to reblue or send it off for that but I emailed him to cancel that aspect-getting concerned about getting my rifle period back, much less a refund. Have not heard from him in over 2 months.

Anyone have any additional information or heard from him lately? He is apparently back to working some per this thread.
Read the book called the "E-Myth" some time. Basically it's about being an entrepreneur and owning and operating a small business. There is a huge difference between owning and operating an legitimate business vs simply creating a job for yourself. Starting a business involves creating a business plan that allows for you to determine your profit margins, operating costs, growth potential and hire on new people. Most people in reality just create jobs for themselves which means that they start a business with no idea on how to develop a business plan, calculate the cost of performing tasks within their business and thusly be able to know what to actually charge a customer for any random task or item that they sell. Guys in many craftsman based industries end up creating jobs for themselves. They decide that charging someone lets say $200 to build an AK is the appropriate price without any consideration of what their overhead and true operating costs are. Within a short time these guys are losing money and every project that comes in becomes a source of income to feed the ever growing Ponzi scheme. As the pyramid grows the returned phone calls decrease, the quality of work drops. It becomes an "I can pay rent this month on the builds that people are sending me today" while I still have a backlog from the last 8 months. I see it all the time.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:24 AM   #82
Gewehr44
Classic Member

AKaholic #: 25360

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
I see it all the time.

74ullc & cold war classics' dave trevino come to mind.
Gewehr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:15 AM   #83
obrez1

I really don’t want to have to get a lawyer involved in any of this, but it seems like it’s the route i am having to take due to what’s going with everyone. COVID-19 isn’t exactly a valid excuse at this point due to the isolation of the job in the first place. I frankly just would like some communication or at least acknowledgement of the issues at hand. Dialogue, really just dialog. He’s a good builder or can be, it shouldn’t be hard to communicate at least with an email. Frankly I am going to have to give him a few more days to respond before I make the phone call.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #84
Thomas Y'all
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrez1 View Post
I really donít want to have to get a lawyer involved in any of this, but it seems like itís the route i am having to take due to whatís going with everyone. COVID-19 isnít exactly a valid excuse at this point due to the isolation of the job in the first place. I frankly just would like some communication or at least acknowledgement of the issues at hand. Dialogue, really just dialog. Heís a good builder or can be, it shouldnít be hard to communicate at least with an email. Frankly I am going to have to give him a few more days to respond before I make the phone call.
Sadly public shaming on the Files AND FB are the only motivators that have worked to any minute degree
Old 05-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #85
boutcha
Roadie For Life
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Sadly public shaming on the Files AND FB are the only motivators that have worked to any minute degree
Sheriff's Dept about stolen firearms has gotten some results for others in the past.

I'm sure glad I got my MAK90 back after he installed my spiker and swapped lower hand guard retainer.
Had no idea he was operating like you say, sent it last June 18th and had it back July 21st.
All I sent was the barreled receiver and the parts to swap.

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying Society"-Aristotle

Bill Barr? Let's see: From 1973 to 1977, Barr was employed by the CIA, Reagan Admin Iran Contra, Mena, Arkansas Airport, AG for George Herbert Walker Bush 91-93, Office of Legal Counsel serving as Deputy Attorney General. AG from 1994 to 2008, CIA Attorney. Shall we go on? Multimillionaire who served on the Board of Directors for Time Warner from 2009 to 2018.
boutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #86
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Sheriff's Dept about stolen firearms has gotten some results for others in the past.

I'm sure glad I got my MAK90 back after he installed my spiker and swapped lower hand guard retainer.
Had no idea he was operating like you say, sent it last June 18th and had it back July 21st.
All I sent was the barreled receiver and the parts to swap.
This isn't about stolen firearms.

This is about shitty work.
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #87
boutcha
Roadie For Life
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

Yes, with the OP.

But, maybe my comprehension of a couple other posts are off.
One said he was going to "write off" a build and he still has another kit not yet returned.

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying Society"-Aristotle

Bill Barr? Let's see: From 1973 to 1977, Barr was employed by the CIA, Reagan Admin Iran Contra, Mena, Arkansas Airport, AG for George Herbert Walker Bush 91-93, Office of Legal Counsel serving as Deputy Attorney General. AG from 1994 to 2008, CIA Attorney. Shall we go on? Multimillionaire who served on the Board of Directors for Time Warner from 2009 to 2018.
boutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #88
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Yes, with the OP.

But, maybe my comprehension of a couple other posts are off.
One said he was going to "write off" a build and he still has another kit not yet returned.
All a person has to do is send a certified letter requesting their property be returned.

Makes a fuck if they can't get hold of the 'smith by email or Twitter . . .

Putting the sheriff on the trail is the last stop of the recovery procedure.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #89
Bad Association

AKaholic #: 204231

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

That is what I thought we were talking about.

Did I miss that someone got a whole gun stolen? Thought he had been returning them all in poor condition.
Bad Association is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #90
Thomas Y'all
Banned

Quote:
That is what I thought we were talking about.

Did I miss that someone got a whole gun stolen? Thought he had been returning them all in poor condition.
To be clear a legal transfer was made.At this point the "gun" is legally the property of the builder.From this point on the customer has no ownership.He can sue for financial damages only. That gun is no more his at all!. This btw is not my opinion.It is backed by federal law.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #91
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
To be clear a legal transfer was made.At this point the "gun" is legally the property of the builder.From this point on the customer has no ownership.He can sue for financial damages only. That gun is no more his at all!. This btw is not my opinion.It is backed by federal law.
Um no.. sending your gun to a smith and them checking it in to their book does not cede ownership of that firearm to them, it is still your firearm. Their entry of the firearm in to their book is only there as a record of possession, not ownership.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #92
Thomas Y'all
Banned

Quote:
Um no.. sending your gun to a smith and them checking it in to their book does not cede ownership of that firearm to them, it is still your firearm. Their entry of the firearm in to their book is only there as a record of possession, not ownership.
Def90 In my process to pull strings and get back my receivers and kits Kentucky ATF Field Supervisory Agent David Perry (859)300-8837 advised me different as did 3 of my very close licensed builder friends. I felt that was me doing my due diligence and thought relaying said information could help the next guy perhaps avoid this.Feel free to contradict anything you see fit,but please source your retort and be sure it's relevant to the post as a whole and not just meant to argue.)Thanks
Old 05-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #93
nalioth

Quote:
Def90 In my process to pull strings and get back my receivers and kits Kentucky ATF Field Supervisory Agent David Perry (859)300-8837 advised me different as did 3 of my very close licensed builder friends. I felt that was me doing my due diligence and thought relaying said information could help the next guy perhaps avoid this.Feel free to contradict anything you see fit,but please source your retort and be sure it's relevant to the post as a whole and not just meant to argue.)Thanks
Sadly, the "agent" and your "3 close friends" (who were likely influenced by the ignorance of said "agent") are wrong.

You are not selling, trading or gifting your firearm to a FFL when you send it in for repairs.

That is abject bullshit.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #94
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Quote:

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #95
Daver
7,62x39

AKaholic #: 196115

Quote:
Why is it when I send a rifle to have a barrel chop, crown and threading after getting my stamp back. Once they accept the item, put it in their books and do the work they are able to ship it directly back to my home without going through an FFL? If ownership changed to their possession wouldn't I have to then get the item through an FFL putting it back under my name?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #96
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
2 YEAR BUILD, ONE HOUR PERFORMED POORLY
snipped very common story on the AKFILES
Just consider yourself lucky that you got your stuff back.

There are no reputable AK builders out there anymore.

You need to build it yourself or sell all your parts and try another way.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #97
obrez1

My thing is I just want my stuff, either poorly done or well done, I just want it back at this point. If it’s done well, I’ll say so, if it’s done poorly I’ll report so. I’m unbiased. However I can rate the communication of our builder a 1.5/5.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #98
TJCtalon

AKaholic #: 180564

Quote:
Huh??

You transferred the reciever to him? Your not making any sense at all.

Just because you send something to someone ( in this case, a ffl business) doesnt mean the property isn't yours anymore.

"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them"

-Old Turkish proverb
TJCtalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #99
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post
Just consider yourself lucky that you got your stuff back.

There are no reputable AK builders out there anymore.

You need to build it yourself or sell all your parts and try another way.
quit huffing the Jenkem Jar there sally
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #100
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
David Perry is full of shit period.

Sending or handing over a firearm to an FFL for work does not transfer ownership, if it did the FFL would not be allowed to send it back to you without you going through a background check via a local FFL. It is logged in to their book as an acquisition and then logged out as a disposition when sent back to you. It is allowed to be sent back to you directly because the ATF does not consider this a transfer. A transfer would be a change in ownership.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #101
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
quit huffing the Jenkem Jar there sally
Fuck off mate. I've been though a similar 2 year nightmare using a very highly rated AK builder 100% vetted by all the ak website experts like yourself and the motherfucker turned out to be a 100% fucking fraud.

2 years and 3 thousand dollars worth of shit and I have one rifle that works, one that was unsafe and a ton of parts never returned.

Name a reputable AK builder that has built something for somebody besides your own self that is still in business.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #102
Thomas Y'all
Banned

Quote:
David Perry is full of shit period.

Sending or handing over a firearm to an FFL for work does not transfer ownership, if it did the FFL would not be allowed to send it back to you without you going through a background check via a local FFL. It is logged in to their book as an acquisition and then logged out as a disposition when sent back to you. It is allowed to be sent back to you directly because the ATF does not consider this a transfer. A transfer would be a change in ownership.
With a total of 9 builds under my belt from Definitive Arms/Copper Customs(also a mistake),JimRoberts of JBI(perfect experiences),TwoRivers(beyond amazing),Arma(great job by Tim) as builders,each one has required a legal transfer to a local FFL,and yes I was required to fill out the background check. I guess these companies are full of shit too? Thanks for your input.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #103
k.rowe2516
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 178973

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post
Fuck off mate. I've been though a similar 2 year nightmare using a very highly rated AK builder 100% vetted by all the ak website experts like yourself and the motherfucker turned out to be a 100% fucking fraud.

2 years and 3 thousand dollars worth of shit and I have one rifle that works, one that was unsafe and a ton of parts never returned.

Name a reputable AK builder that has built something for somebody besides your own self that is still in business.
Bloss Industries(BR762), Two Rivers, rifle Dynamics. Just a few that come to mind.
k.rowe2516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #104
nalioth

Quote:
With a total of 9 builds under my belt from Definitive Arms/Copper Customs(also a mistake),JimRoberts of JBI(perfect experiences),TwoRivers(beyond amazing),Arma(great job by Tim) as builders,each one has required a legal transfer to a local FFL,and yes I was required to fill out the background check. I guess these companies are full of shit too? Thanks for your input.
Well, as you haven't told us what the builds entailed, we really can't answer that.

However, if you submit a firearm to a 'smith for repair, they can return it directly to you (this is the law).
Old 05-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #105
JoeCorrado
SAMMICHES

AKaholic #: 193119

Quote:
Depends. Did you provide the receivers or did they? If you never did a Brady form on the receiver then yes, they have to be sent to an FFL. Once the Brady form is filled out and a background check is done and the receiver is in your possession and sent out to be built then it doesn't need to be sent to an FFL. You can't make a blanket statement that they have to be sent to an FFL or don't have to be sent to one.