Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 05-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #36
ba ba booey
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 169085

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
Pmags are garbage as far as I'm concerned. If they're the "gold standard" then it must be fool's gold. Steel mags with steel followers are the gold standard because they don't and won't have the issues that you'll get with a plastic mag, especially one without steel feed lips. The fact that a plastic mag needs steel feed lips to be worth a damn should be all you need to know about plastic mags. Steel mags are much stronger and much more solid than a plastic mag, their feed lips won't spread when stored fully loaded, and they won't ever crack. And with a steel follower they're even better, you won't have any issue with the mag ever. So what if they weigh a few ounces more than a crappy plastic mag, if you can't carry an extra 3 fucking ounces then you're a weak ass pussy. There is NOTHING that a plastic mag with a plastic follower has over a steel mag with a steel follower, period, end of story.
I agree that steel feed lips are best. What is unclear to me is the rest of the mag. Glock mags, with their hybrid design, are considered more durable than other steel pistol mags.

So for durability I think it's a pickem fight between Bulgarian AR/ Beretta ARX and Lancers.
ba ba booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #37
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydo View Post
Metal follower, more durable base plate, Italian quality, much higher resale value, better reputation for quality.

That being said, I trust Greeks experience, and based on his recent experience and others, it seems the Korean mags are better than what they use to be. You can do what Greek did and replace the follower with a steel follower and save a few bucks compared to the berettas.
I'm gonna make a thread about the SHK mags with SS followers with pics (including comparison pics of the SHK mags and beretta mags) later today hopefully if I can get the other shit I'm doing today done.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #38
ba ba booey
Curio & Relic

My concern with the Koreans would be the quality of the steel, knowing if it was properly heat treated and the quality of the surface coating. Which, they could all be gtg, I'm just not sure
Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #39
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba booey View Post
My concern with the Koreans would be the quality of the steel, knowing if it was properly heat treated and the quality of the surface coating. Which, they could all be gtg, I'm just not sure
I wouldn't be concerned about it at all. The shittiest steel is still better and stronger than the best plastic. Properly heat treated? We're taking about mags, not AK receivers. You're concerned about a non-issue here man. Mags don't need to be made out of heat treated steel like receivers do, they don't have to endure anywhere near the kinds of stress that a receiver has to endure. As for the quality of the finish, it's excellent and it's very durable. I have and use the SHK steel mags and they're great and now that I put the SS followers in them they're the only mags I'll use now. You're not going to find a better mag for the money, hell you won't find a better mag for two or three times the money. Get a couple SHK mags and some SS followers for them and try them out for yourself and you'll see. The mags only cost 6.99 each and the followers cost 3 bucks each (they come in packs of three for 9 bucks), it's not like you're going to be risking a lot of money to give a few a try. I'm going to make a thread about them soon, it will answer every question you might have about them.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #40
ba ba booey
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I wouldn't be concerned about it at all. The shittiest steel is still better and stronger than the best plastic. Properly heat treated? We're taking about mags, not AK receivers. You're concerned about a non-issue here man. Mags don't need to be made out of heat treated steel like receivers do, they don't have to endure anywhere near the kinds of stress that a receiver has to endure. As for the quality of the finish, it's excellent and it's very durable. I have and use the SHK steel mags and they're great and now that I put the SS followers in them they're the only mags I'll use now. You're not going to find a better mag for the money, hell you won't find a better mag for two or three times the money. Get a couple SHK mags and some SS followers for them and try them out for yourself and you'll see. The mags only cost 6.99 each and the followers cost 3 bucks each (they come in packs of three for 9 bucks), it's not like you're going to be risking a lot of money to give a few a try. I'm going to make a thread about them soon, it will answer every question you might have about them.
I will take you up on that, if you try out a Bulgarian steel AR mag. Bet you are impressed (follower and all)

Edit: also, remember that Glock mags have plastic followers. Oem Glock mags can run 10s-hundreds of thousands of rounds without problems, so a good plastic follower shouldn't be an issue (unless the polymer degrades in 50? years?)

I would think that the mag spring would be the first wear item by far in any quality mag

Last edited by ba ba booey; 05-25-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:47 PM   #41
recon-1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 655

Looking forward to your thread on those SHK mags. Going to get some of the Beretta mags.

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
"John Adams"

Last edited by recon-1; 05-25-2020 at 12:00 AM.
recon-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:44 AM   #42
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon-1 View Post
Looking forward to your thread on those SHK mags. Going to get some of the Beretta mags.
The Beretta mags are excellent mags and for 14 bucks they're a good deal too. The only issue I have with them (and it's a very minor issue) is their grey color. They're perfect for use on an M16A1 with a grey receiver though because it's a pretty close color match, in fact the ten Beretta mags I bought have been dedicated for use on my A1 clone. The SHK mags are black and go well with my AR's with black receivers.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:56 AM   #43
monkeydo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 195631

Quote:
The Beretta mags are excellent mags and for 14 bucks they're a good deal too. The only issue I have with them (and it's a very minor issue) is their grey color. They're perfect for use on an M16A1 with a grey receiver though because it's a pretty close color match, in fact the ten Beretta mags I bought have been dedicated for use on my A1 clone. The SHK mags are black and go well with my AR's with black receivers.
Are all of yours marked PB14 by chance? Iíve noticed my PB14 marked mags are lighter than the PB15. Guessing thatís the year they were made, and there was a change in the finish.
ďRely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.Ē
monkeydo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:34 AM   #44
ba ba booey
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Right now these ARX mags, pmags and Lancer mags are all very comparable in price when you factor in shipping. Strange times, but I guess most people see pmags as the gold standard. (I think they are ok but have drawbacks)
Case in point, a "special sale" for pmags for $17 each!
https://botach.com/magpul-mag556-mct...es-coyote-tan/
Old 05-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #45
monkeydo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Thatís insane!
ďRely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.Ē
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #46
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

Quote:
what the fuck? I'm a HUGE magpul fanboy for AR mags, but that's just beyond retarded
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #47
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Are all of yours marked PB14 by chance? Iíve noticed my PB14 marked mags are lighter than the PB15. Guessing thatís the year they were made, and there was a change in the finish.
Of my 10 Beretta mags 5 are PB15, 3 are PB14, and two are PB12. The 15's are slightly darker grey than the 12's and 14's but not by much and they all seem to weigh about the same.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #48
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

The kci steel mags just went on sale for 5.50 each at global ordinance:

https://globalordnance.com/shk-30rd-...0850003223070/

I bought 26 of them (the max you can buy per order). I'm up to 70 kci steel mags now. Ya can't beat them for the price...
Old 05-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #49
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 102797

I just ordered 10 of them kci AR-15 mags to check out . I hope they are as reliable as D&H AR-15 magazines .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #50
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
I just ordered 10 of them kci AR-15 mags to check out . I hope they are as reliable as D&H AR-15 magazines .
Ya can't go wrong for the money, trust me. Now get some stainless steel followers from CMMG and create a great mag for only 8 dollars and 50 cents each.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #51
gelb13

AKaholic #: 187463

Well, bananas. Back in April I bought seven of these mags from Beretta and none of them have markings of any kind. Luck of the draw?

Last edited by gelb13; 05-26-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Time frame
gelb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #52
monkeydo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelb13 View Post
Well, bananas. Back in April I bought seven of these mags from Beretta and none of them have markings of any kind. Luck of the draw?
Are you sure? None on the side? Itís hard to see.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #53
gelb13

AKaholic #: 187463

Quote:
Are you sure? None on the side? Itís hard to see.
Ahh ha! Thanks monkeydo! Under strong light I saw the "M" on the left side lower left corner. I needed a magnifying glass to read the numbers. Man, they are really faint. I had to hold it just right in the light to see them. Talk about a micro imprint.
gelb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #54
ba ba booey
Curio & Relic

Well I got my 7 magazines today. They feel solid, but am disappointed with the fit and finish. They all look like this...

Yeah it's a good deal....for new magazines. These all look used. They all came without packaging in brown paper
Old 05-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #55
monkeydo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Well I got my 7 magazines today. They feel solid, but am disappointed with the fit and finish. They all look like this...

Yeah it's a good deal....for new magazines. These all look used. They all came without packaging in brown paper
Wipe them down with some CLP or just some oil. Some of mine came with what looked like cosmoline on them and caked on in some spot where it looked like spots of ruse, but it all wiped off. But yeah, the finish is one thing thing that originally disappointed me, but they arenít made to be a pretty mag as much as they are to survive a nuclear blast lol The finish is park, so scuffs is just the nature of it. My dry moly GI mags donít stay pretty for long either.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:43 PM   #56
ba ba booey
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Wipe them down with some CLP or just some oil. Some of mine came with what looked like cosmoline on them and caked on in some spot where it looked like spots of ruse, but it all wiped off. But yeah, the finish is one thing thing that originally disappointed me, but they arenít made to be a pretty mag as much as they are to survive a nuclear blast lol The finish is park, so scuffs is just the nature of it. My dry moly GI mags donít stay pretty for long either.
I'll have to do that. There is a blemish on the same part of each mag like in the above photo.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:33 AM   #57
monkeydo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I'll have to do that. There is a blemish on the same part of each mag like in the above photo.
Most of mine have it too. I’m guessing that’s where they’ve been stacked and the area that the mag catch catches (not sure what it’s called) rubbed each mag. That portion sits inside the magwell though. Give it a day or two, or one range trip, and I’m willing to bet you won’t mind at all. As much as I love the Bulgarians and Okay Ind mags, all I’ve been using lately are the ARX100 mags. They might not be the prettiest, but I think they look the best, at least with the type of AR’s I build.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:47 AM   #58
ba ba booey
Curio & Relic

I'll give em a chance

So far I prefer the Bulgarians though!

Just by feel, the Bulgarian mags seem more stout

Last edited by ba ba booey; 05-30-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #59
petros600

AKaholic #: 34739

I just got mine today, no markings and they are coated with some sticky stuff!!
My ARX beretta mag came with a marked floor plate.

Quote:

petros600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #60
wanderson

AKaholic #: 170540

Quote:
I'm gonna make a thread about the SHK mags with SS followers with pics (including comparison pics of the SHK mags and beretta mags) later today hopefully if I can get the other shit I'm doing today done.
I’ll keep an eye out for that. While I’ve rarely had problems with poly or aluminum mags, and when I do, it’s usually just a junk mag, I like heavy steel AR mags and recently dropped some stainless steel followers in a few of them. I just like having a mix.
I was wondering the same on stainless followers in the CDNN ‘heavy duty’/SHK mags. While the Beretta mags are a great deal for under $15, when that sale is gone, it’s gone til the next one. If the ARX was still being imported I’d say just wait for the next sale.
I will say the ARX mags are great and well worth $15.

And is there any other Aftermarket steel AR follower besides the CMMG stainless From Midway?

Last edited by wanderson; 06-02-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Add
wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #61
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 102797

Quote:
Ya can't go wrong for the money, trust me. Now get some stainless steel followers from CMMG and create a great mag for only 8 dollars and 50 cents each.
I just received them mags via fedex . You're right , they seem to be a really good deal . They are very well made with a nice finish . Although I'm hesitant to change out the followers . I just weighed the steel mags . The steel mags weigh 8.1 ounces compared to D&H aluminum mags which weighed 4.0 ounces . That is quite a difference . I been using D&H aluminum magazines for years and they have always worked just fine for me . I am not so sure the steel magazines are worth the extra weight . That is 1 pound for every 4 magazines . That's 3 pounds more for 12 mags . Weight counts , especially if I'm the one carrying it all day . I'm beginning to rethink the weight penalty of the steel magazines . I don't think it's worth it .

Last edited by virgil cole; 06-03-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: add info
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote