Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 09-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #36
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

Use the following calculator to figure the minimum food storage amounts for you or your family for one year. Note: These are only basic recommendations.

Calculator is based upon 1 year and will show results for 12 months.

https://foodassets.com/info/food-calculator.html

https://www.thoughtco.com/calculate-...-needs-3876040
Old 09-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #37
andr
Banned

AKaholic #: 196959

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPedagogue View Post
"Eat the trees" is a YouTube guy that can save your life. Pine trees are a great survival tree and source of vitamin minerals calories medicine too. Check it out, you can barter tar, turpentine and loads more. Plenty of other edibles out there year round. Print out and waterproof a manual today. EMP that Newt is always talking about is possible.
NO, the cambium aint. Jesse tried that bs on Season 5 of Alone tv show and it locked up his guts, made him tap out. You dont want to bother with more than minimal amounts of dandelion roots or cambium. They are both bad for you if you eat more than an oz or so of each per day. They need to be boiled to make them digestible and then fried in fish oil, etc, to make them palatable. The cambium is such a pita to harvest that doing so is a net calorie loss, but you need SOME carbs, to keep your brain working properly. Fish and game offer almost zero carbs.
andr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #38
andr
Banned

Default well proven to not be true, especially with kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
When you are hungry enough, you will eat it and enjoy it.....

I've eaten MH granola with dried blueberries, over 12 years ago. It was fantastic. Can't speak for their other stuff.

Peanut butter is dirt cheap, lasts for years, provides protein,carbs and fat, tastes ok. Another decent fat source is soybeans, or just dried, unroasted peanuts, another great source is Crisco. All this stuff will keep for years if you can seal out oxygen and moisture. Bulgar or Buckwheat have a lot more protein than normal wheat, can be just boiled and eaten as porridge. It needs some butter and salt to be palatable, tho
Old 09-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #39
andr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
This is not entirely true, if deprived of sunlight they will not hatch, that is all that is required. I got a 20lb mahatma that is a few years old but kept in the cupboard. No bugs at all.

That's not nearly enough to feed you properly, when you're stressed, as a big man. You'd need lots of other stuff, like Peanut butter, tang, honey powdered gatorade. cause you need about 3000 calories per day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

A cup of rice is just 200 calories. You'd have to eat 15 cups of rice per day, every day, if you didn't add lots of other food and you'd still be very deficient in
a lot of nutrients. Do NOT kid yourself about this stuff, folks. Either stockpile a LOT more or realize that you dont have nearly as many day's worth of food as you "think" you have.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #40
joejoeh1984

AKaholic #: 168426
Default Just my .02

Reading a lot of the comments on here, and appreciate the leg work some of you have put in RE: cost, serving size, etc. My .02? The average calorie count is based on a host of factors. Your BMR or basal metabolic rate is the bare minimum it will take for your body to simply survive; kidneys to work, brain to function, lungs to exchange gases, etc. Please be realistic. A cup of this or a handful of that is unrealistic, and while it may help you last longer than the Joneses down the street, it simply is not sustainable. Moreover, how will you be using your time during the day? Hunting? Hiking / walking to here and there to get preps, check traps, etc? Better up your calories, because hiking alone burns THOUSANDS of calories daily depending on distance, pace, terrain. How about water? How will you cook and prepare this food you have stored? Can you defend it? Do you have enough to barter for a hired-gun to help protect, or trade for medical help? Here's my point - if you can, go overboard. Keep more on hand than you and your family need, so you can barter, help, or simply make it when and if it gets really bad. But don't get too bogged down here - do something and start somewhere. If it's $20 worth of tuna and uncle bens, start somewhere. Buy an extra case or two of bottled water. Hope this helps somebody. Just where my head is, anyway.
joejoeh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #41
recon-1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 655

Also I would say that a lot depends on where you live and what season the is. Winter would be tough for a lot of people especially where it gets cold and snows. Trying to stay warm and feed thru months were nothing grows. You'll be burning more calories during these months that when it's warm out. So you would need to think differently on how much to really stock pile in a cold climate. A lot of people would not make it thru there first cold season.

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
"John Adams"

Last edited by recon-1; 05-12-2019 at 03:45 PM.
recon-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #42
MuzzleBlast

AKaholic #: 200892

That's solid, thanks for sharing man!
MuzzleBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #43
recon-1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 655

https://www.cheapprice.sale/military...&google_params

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
"John Adams"
recon-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:08 AM   #44
Drake888

AKaholic #: 204475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
1 Year Emergency Food Storage For Less Than $300

Over at the seasonedcitizenprepper.com they have an article that you will want to read, bookmark and print off. The article shows you how to get together a whole years food supply for around $300 for a family of four!

They do state that there food plan has no dairy and Vitamin B12. So you probably will need to add that to your emergency food portfolio. Powdered milk for the dairy and start canning for B12.

That being said, this is a very good place to start and for 300 bucks who can complain when you can sleep easy at night knowing you have a years supply of food stockpiled.

1 Year Emergency Food Storage For Less Than $300
Hello! It is very interesting, for how many people is it designed for that price? I think here it is necessary to calculate from the different needs of organization. Thank you for sharing!
Drake888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #45
ttinytank

AKaholic #: 205850

This is how I'm prepping for quarantine! Haha definitely sounds like a good option incase things do get bad (hopefully, they won't)
ttinytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #46
SAIGA 5.45
King of the Apemen

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttinytank View Post
This is how I'm prepping for quarantine! Haha definitely sounds like a good option incase things do get bad (hopefully, they won't)
It is missing quite a few things and doesn't take care of your daily caloric needs especially if doing any sort of labor or physical activity, a Real all the needs and basics covered after I priced it out could be between 1k and 1500 for a family of four for a year, if you can live with similar stuff all the time.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.

SCAR Heavy, SCAR of might, may your peerless excellence shine forever bright. - gayest quote of the year so far.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #47
Zoldaman

AKaholic #: 2638

It is a good starting point for sure, but is kind of like the freeze dried survival food places that sell "servings" of food which are in no way related to adequate calories. A solid start and definitely better than an empty pantry, but could definitely benefit from adding on.
Zoldaman is offline   Reply With Quote