Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

AKaholic #: 159575
Default Been spending my money on the AR platform lately

After buying and building AK’s for nearly 30 years, I find myself getting more and more interest in the AR’s platform. It started Jan 2020 of this year. Through out my life, I’ve only owned 3 AR rifles since the 1990’s. Two early 90’s Bushmaster rifle (XM15A3 and XM15 w/ 11 inch HBAR w/ barrel extension) and a full size HBAR Colt A2 rifle.

Only now that I’ve been getting more interested in assembling/building lowers and uppers. Since Jan of this year, Ive been buying strip lowers. Now, I have 10 AR stripped lowers (Anderson, Aero Precision, Sons of Liberty and Prepper Guns lower receivers).

Since my 13 year old daughter shot my Aero SBR last week, she asked me if we can assemble/build one for her. We looked at several types of accessories online and she’s liking the blue accessories that Strike Industry has. So, I just spend like $500 in buying all the accessories including another 10.5 inch barrel. It should be a fun project for the both of us since I’ll be guiding her how to put the parts together. Gonna put together an AR pistol.

Looks like I have the AR virus...

Last edited by islandfocus2; 06-30-2020 at 07:07 PM.
islandfocus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Good show. It would be a shame to have lived through the AR salad days and not put a pile of them together. With prices starting to slowly creep up, I went ahead and snagged some more FN barreled kits.
giantpune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
Stoned_Oli
King of S'Marm
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

Sadly all the ones I have I want to keep... I have sold off all the ones that didn't bring the warm fuzzies, and now that prices are rising I am just too attached.
I agree about the assemblage though, now that I've put together a few uppers I too am hooked.
It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigiloso View Post
As far as I am concerned all of you NRA detractors should have your own gun rights stripped, as traitors...
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #4
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned_Oli View Post
Sadly all the ones I have I want to keep... I have sold off all the ones that didn't bring the warm fuzzies, and now that prices are rising I am just too attached.
I agree about the assemblage though, now that I've put together a few uppers I too am hooked.
Yes!! It’s good to have different barrel length uppers for different occasions. What’s nice about buying just a lower, is neither a pistol or rifle.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:07 AM   #5
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166488

Covid-19 is not nearly as infectious as AR-15.

Island i've been digging your builds with aero parts. Very classy set ups. Looking forward to seeing your girls rifle.

I have about 5 projects in the works that im still collecting parts for. XM-177E2 clone using brownells upper and lower I got on a blem sale. I have an older Colt A2 upper in dark gray and im waiting for a NoDak dark gray lower to come any day now that I ordered 3 months ago. Ill be harvesting the 20" barrel off of a Colt ar15a4 upper i just bought Friday, and using that stripped upper to go with a Colt Socom barrel I just bought today. That will then go on a 6920 lower i have sitting around. Then i need to decide what to do with a BCM socom barrel and blem upper i have sitting in my drawer.....
Proverbs 11:22

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.

Last edited by Gaddywack; 06-30-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Gaddywack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #6
89grand
It's Flat

AKaholic #: 178030

AR's are cool, but I started getting bored with them after having 5. I renewed my interest, by getting a PWS piston AR and a BRN-180. They are AR like, but different.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:34 AM   #7
rstrobel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167348

same, I received 3 of the $300 A1 kits today and thoroughly enjoyed cleaning them and inventorying the small parts. it was like the old days of cheap AK kits
rstrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:48 AM   #8
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

Welcome to the club.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

I have far too many of the damn things now....But I still want more, must resist...AHHHH
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #10
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddywack View Post
Covid-19 is not nearly as infectious as AR-15.

Island i've been digging your builds with aero parts. Very classy set ups. Looking forward to seeing your girls rifle..
Thank Bruddah! I'm looking forward to the project. I'll post photos once it's all done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
I have far too many of the damn things now....But I still want more, must resist...AHHHH
Prepper Gun Shop has (BLEM) lowers for $60 shipped. I like their company logo and the three bullet selector engravings on their receiver. Just bought two of them.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/pgs-a...-minor-blemish
Old 06-30-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
AK47 IsTheTool
Reloading

AKaholic #: 161508

Im in the Same Boat after 20 years of nothing but AKs I'm back Fucking around with the AR..gang .Since last summer I've picked up three AR15 Pistols..and aTon of Ammoand Mags....it Don't Stop
Old 06-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #12
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

as others have said. it would be foolish to not invest in AR's during the salad days like this. I went from 2 AR-15's to 14 the last few years because it was too cheap NOT to invest.
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #13
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 IsTheTool View Post
Im in the Same Boat after 20 years of nothing but AKs I'm back Fucking around with the AR..gang .Since last summer I've picked up three AR15 Pistols..and aTon of Ammoand Mags....it Don't Stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
as others have said. it would be foolish to not invest in AR's during the salad days like this. I went from 2 AR-15's to 14 the last few years because it was too cheap NOT to invest.
No doubt! AR parts are still cheap and you can find good deals online especially magazines.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #14
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
No doubt! AR parts are still cheap and you can find good deals online especially magazines.
yup, if Trump gets elected again, we could be looking at another few golden years too. I have a handful of spare fully built lowers just waiting for uppers, or to be used as spares. It's an addiction
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:33 AM   #15
praxidike
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 191101

Yea i got bored with AKs a long time ago... I mostly come here to participate in the pistol and AR forums. Nothing new or exciting going on in the AK world right now. They're getting to expensive and the selection to choose from are getting less and less.
praxidike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #16
akma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159266

Some times it's kind of relaxing to just assemble rather than have to have full build a rifle. Plus the price of AR's can be less than AK's too.
2Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

When you live like Hell don't be surprised when the Devil holds your hand. Old Proverb
akma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
JoeCorrado
SAMMICHES

AKaholic #: 193119

I've been trying to get into AR's and assembling them but I seem to lose interest quickly and go back to AK's. I guess it's because I sell guns for a living and have assembled numerous AR's for customers so that they just don't do anything for me. No matter what, they're all the same to me. Shrug. I still have a few that I need a part here or there to complete but I always find something else to use my money on. I'll probably come to regret that I didn't stock up on parts at some point in the future.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #18
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
Yea i got bored with AKs a long time ago... I mostly come here to participate in the pistol and AR forums. Nothing new or exciting going on in the AK world right now. They're getting to expensive and the selection to choose from are getting less and less.
I've been noticing that for the past year or two. AK parts and kits are expensive nowadays. I have several 80% receivers that I put aside just incase I have the itch to build another AK. I have some spare AKSU parts and I was thinking of building another AK pistol on a Tortort milled SF. But, that was just a thought. I just don't have the motive to build another AK at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akma View Post
Some times it's kind of relaxing to just assemble rather than have to have full build a rifle. Plus the price of AR's can be less than AK's too.
That is very true!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183815

Lower parts kits, choose wisely. Lots of Chinesium crap, and MIM parts.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #20
praxidike
Curio & Relic

Who make the best lpk and where's the best place to buy it so I dont have to worry about counterfeits?
Old 07-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #21
TheChunkNorris

AKaholic #: 203246

Quote:
Who make the best lpk and where's the best place to buy it so I dont have to worry about counterfeits?
I know it sounds silly but it's really up to how much you want or willing to spend. I've been getting Geissele Enhanced LPK for the last coupe of years. They have quality parts and I end up waiting for Black Friday for triggers and such.
TheChunkNorris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #22
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183815

Quote:
Tom's Tactical used to have nice stuff. I bought some Anderson kits that had black MIM trigger and hammer parts. I gave a kit to a friend for Christmas. Never opened it. After he assembled it it tried the trigger and knew by the feel it was MIM.

Bought 2 of these a couple of weeks ago https://www.jsesurplus.com/whitelabe...erspecial.aspx

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk out your ass and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln (sort of.)

"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton
ÄÄCHMED HÄZÄÄMÄT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #23
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166488

Ive had good luck with Toms, Aero LPK and SOLGW blaster guts starter kits.
Proverbs 11:22

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.
Gaddywack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #24
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Thank Bruddah! I'm looking forward to the project. I'll post photos once it's all done

Prepper Gun Shop has (BLEM) lowers for $60 shipped. I like their company logo and the three bullet selector engravings on their receiver. Just bought two of them.

GONE OOS
Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #25
praxidike
Curio & Relic

Im a lightweight... I only have 3 ARs, the two MMC barrels I just purchased, one rail KAC rail, a couple of Tool Craft bolts, two BCM blem upper receivers, and 7 strip lowers... That said, I have like 12 AKs... Like I said, I'm a light weight compared to you guys.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #26
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

Quote:
GONE OOS
Showing one left! Hurry

Old 07-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #27
uofaengr
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185992

Quote:
The build I just completed, I went with the Aero lpk with no fcg or grip. They're about as cheap as I want to go and I've always been pleased with their quality. At $29 I think it's a good value.
uofaengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #28
rstrobel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167348

Quote:
I would go for LWRC's LPK on their website that includes their ambi selector
rstrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #29
uofaengr
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185992

Quote:
I feel the same. Glad I have the AKs I wanted and don't have any desire for anymore especially with the selection out there now.
uofaengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #30
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
I started with the AR platform, then got into the AK platform.
While I stand firmly in belief and faith of the AK platform (it's what I'll likely die holding), the AR platform is my foundation and basic understanding. I just can't ever distance myself from that.
Today's kids don't even know where they should build a foundation let alone think for themselves.
Both the AK and AR have left their mark on world history. In spite of recent events and uprisings, history should be learned from and never be forgotten.
On this upcoming 4th of July (birth of our nation is why it's called Independence Day), let us celebrate the foundation of our nation and the ubiquitous AR15 as the American icon that it is.
We can spend the rest of the year celebrating the history and the mark left upon the rest of the world by the venerable AK.

Happy birthday America!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
If our galaxy was a city Earth would be the ghetto.....
2020 Baby! Bring it!
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM   #31
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Ha someone must have cancelled. I stick to spikes lowers anymore.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #32
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
I started with the AR platform, then got into the AK platform.
While I stand firmly in belief and faith of the AK platform (it's what I'll likely die holding), the AR platform is my foundation and basic understanding. I just can't ever distance myself from that.
Today's kids don't even know where they should build a foundation let alone think for themselves.
Both the AK and AR have left their mark on world history. In spite of recent events and uprisings, history should be learned from and never be forgotten.
On this upcoming 4th of July (birth of our nation is why it's called Independence Day), let us celebrate the foundation of our nation and the ubiquitous AR15 as the American icon that it is.
We can spend the rest of the year celebrating the history and the mark left upon the rest of the world by the venerable AK.

Happy birthday America!
Well said!

Quote:
Ha someone must have cancelled. I stick to spikes lowers anymore.
I'm surprised that no one bought the last one just yet. Still showing one left in stock.