Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160
Default Food

Even though I believe that the nothing burger virus isn't going to be the new black plague that the media is trying to turn it into its obvious that millions of other people are believing that it is and are panicking. The government (federal, state, and local) is doing everything it can to make the panic worse and I believe its intentional, I think there are nefarious reasons behind it. The more things that they shut down and the more areas they quarantine will just make the sheeple panic even more. The current rush to buy toilet paper (which I think is hilarious) and the rush to buy cleaning supplies and disinfectant products is going to eventually turn into a rush to buy food when everybody gets stuck at home because they cant leave their quarantined areas. I thought I had a reasonably decent amount of food on hand but after taking inventory today I realized that I didn't have as much as I thought so I'm going to rectify that. I'm not gonna stock up on 50 pound bags of flour and beans, dried pasta, MRE's, etc, I'm going to stock up on canned food instead. Canned food lasts a long time, more than long enough to last through this stupidity that's going right now. I'm gonna get a wide variety of canned food, stuff like beef stew, chili, spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli, macaroni and cheese, various soups, etc, along with canned fruit and vegetables. I don't want to have to live on just beans and bread (which is why I'm not buying 50 pound bags of beans and flour), I want a wide variety of food to eat that requires no preparation other than heating it up. You can have all the toilet paper in the world but if you don't have a lot of food you aren't going to be using toilet paper very much, lol...

Last edited by TheGreek!; 03-14-2020 at 06:39 PM.
TheGreek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

Day late and a dollar short...

Even if you aren't fighting over the last pack of TP in the store, you still have to fight the crowds and then wait in the checkout lines all crowded together.
Steve_In_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
TucoRamirez
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 198325

People are seeing $$ profits $$, and they're snapping up everything for re-sale with a nice markup.
There's a guy, in the Chattanooga Area, stuck with 17 700 bottles of hand sanitizer.........and he cannot sell them, because Amazon suspended his account.
TucoRamirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
chillypepper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176015

Thessaoniki.

Were I there. I would be emptying my wallet on gyro's at every cart on the sidewalk.

Just like I did last time I was there.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
tommygun2000
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 4777

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucoRamirez View Post
People are seeing $$ profits $$, and they're snapping up everything for re-sale with a nice markup.
There's a guy, in the Chattanooga Area, stuck with 17 700 bottles of hand sanitizer.........and he cannot sell them, because Amazon suspended his account.
Hell, he doesn't need amazon to sell it. He could toss a few cases of it on a table in any parking lot and a box on the end for cash.

People walk by, pick up a bottle and drop the cash in the box. End of the day, spray the box/cash down with lysol, shake it up good and let dry out.

It would be smart to have some firepower sitting with him though.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Day late and a dollar short...

Even if you aren't fighting over the last pack of TP in the store, you still have to fight the crowds and then wait in the checkout lines all crowded together.
It wasn't that bad at the store today. I filled up the shopping cart with 187 cans of food (that's all the cart would hold) and the lines at the checkout counters were small. I just finished organizing the cans on the shelves in my food cabinet and there's plenty of room left in it so I'm headed back to the store to fill up another shopping cart.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

Smart move. You will eat the stuff anyways,and now you have a decent back-stop of things to eat.
Stay smart,stay safe.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Like many, I have some set back but can always use some more.

Went to do my normal weekly food run today and both WalMart and Meijer parking lots were packed! Decided to go again after 2AM to avoid the crowds. Co-worker sez the meat department is cleaned out in every store he went to, and even the smaller stores are packed with people.

So I stopped at the local farm store because there were only 10 cars in the lot, grabbed some food and a couple boxes of their $8 S&B 9mm on sale. They were out of the 99 cent Armscor .22LR for some reason. And strangely all the bulk candy they sell was out as well, although there was plenty of regular food left. Nuts and chips were pretty much gone too, but the jerky and sausage was hardly touched.Ammo shelves and gun inventory was low as well, but it was spotty before all this.

One farm store chain bought out another and apparently the differing suppliers between chains is causing some hiccups on getting stuff. At least that's what they are telling the employees, looks like a store closing is imminent to an outsider...
KernelKrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

I just got back in the car to bring home another 219 cans of food...

That makes 406 cans of food purchased today. I will not have to worry about food for a long time...
Old 03-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Craving me some Taco Bell right now

But ribs in crockpot for dinner tonight.

Would have done them on the grill, but a week's worth of rain and maybe a couple of hours of sunshine tomorrow. Then another week of rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
If our galaxy was a city Earth would be the ghetto.....
2020 Baby! Bring it!
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #11
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

You guys don't forget- eating makes you shit and shitting means asswipe usage. Start conserving now

Quote:
2020 Baby! Bring it!
Old 03-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #12
captain steinbrenner

AKaholic #: 159786

Greek the only thing that you would have to worry about is sodium but if you ingest copious amounts of beer youíll piss it all out so no biggie really.
captain steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
rgjerkson

AKaholic #: 159687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
You guys don't forget- eating makes you shit and shitting means asswipe usage. Start conserving now
either aim your poop to splash back like a bidet, or use the standing toilet (shower)
rgjerkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #14
UFGATOR762
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156193

My son works at a publix Food Store here in florida. He said it's crazy. Yesterday they broke the store record, over $300,000 and still had several hours before the store closed. I'm GTG on all fronts . My wife thought i was crazy for prepping. Maybe i will get a "I'm sorry you were right", you're not crazy. HaHa.
UFGATOR762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #15
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
I'm not worried about shit paper, lol. You can wipe your ass with paper towels, napkins, Kleenex, and even junk mail if need be. Hell you could use rags and wash them and have reusable shit wipes. I'm laughing at the people hoarding shit paper.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #16
chillypepper
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain steinbrenner View Post
Greek the only thing that you would have to worry about is sodium but if you ingest copious amounts of beer youíll piss it all out so no biggie really.
Miss Information. Any avid beer drinker knows that when you think it's time to go sit on a toilet, you better be on the way to the commode.

Take it from an experienced beer drinker.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #17
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Quote:
Simple; eat less, shit less.

Neither Bee, nor Borg.

Democrats: Violently opposing duly-elected Republican Presidents since 1861.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:47 AM   #18
vedackster

AKaholic #: 162271

I have about three years worth. 5 if I stretch it.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:25 AM   #19
archangel

AKaholic #: 4696

Quote:
I'm not worried about shit paper, lol. You can wipe your ass with paper towels, napkins, Kleenex, and even junk mail if need be. Hell you could use rags and wash them and have reusable shit wipes. I'm laughing at the people hoarding shit paper.
Using rags, towels hand towels washcloths etc. to wipe your back side from feces, handling them continually and washing them, presumably with other laundry sounds like the perfect recipe for germs and infection. Thatís just bad advice on many levels.
archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:25 AM   #20
Jim in
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188053

Quote:
Our Mayor Vagina RRRomero announced they won't shut off anyone's water....garden hose bro, garden hose.

That and an old plastic lawnchair and we're all set here in the Old Pueblo.

Knock a hole in the chair and ...

..make sure you're uphill from a commie, pretty easy in Tucson, que no?

Don't have a garden hose...appropriate your commie neighbor's or....

..that's why there's sprinklers in the park.

That's why the Parks and Rec budget is so high, hell they even have sand next to the volleyball courts at Stone and Speedway.

The U of A kids love it.

I'm going to go buy some diesel and a bag of ice now, I can't survive on that "ghetto ice" from the trays in my freezer.

sheeeit
Old 03-15-2020, 02:05 AM   #21
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Using rags, towels hand towels washcloths etc. to wipe your back side from feces, handling them continually and washing them, presumably with other laundry sounds like the perfect recipe for germs and infection. Thatís just bad advice on many levels.
And yet before the invention of disposable diapers every family with a baby did just that. Presumably NOT with other laundry, IIRC they were normally swished around in a clean toilet bowl to get rid of the major chunks before being put in a separate "hazmat" hamper for "special processing".

Some folks still use them. They are "greener" than putting disposables into a landfill.
KernelKrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:15 AM   #22
dead_recon
Instant gratification monkey.

AKaholic #: 171206

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
And yet before the invention of disposable diapers every family with a baby did just that. Presumably NOT with other laundry, IIRC they were normally swished around in a clean toilet bowl to get rid of the major chunks before being put in a separate "hazmat" hamper for "special processing".

Some folks still use them. They are "greener" than putting disposables into a landfill.
Thatís ecactly what we do. Bought an inexpensive bidet sprayer to wash off the chunks into the toilet bowl, and the dirty diapers go into a separate hamper and loads of laundry.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:17 AM   #23
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Using rags, towels hand towels washcloths etc. to wipe your back side from feces, handling them continually and washing them, presumably with other laundry sounds like the perfect recipe for germs and infection. That’s just bad advice on many levels.
Did you really think that I would put the shit rags in with the rest of the laundry if I reached the point of having to use rags to wipe my ass with? C'mon man, I'm not an idiot. Read KernelKrinks response in post #21, its not like it hasn't been done before.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:24 AM   #24
69Rebel
Building Helicopters for Mi General

AKaholic #: 179450

If TS really did HTF, the hardest part is going to be disciplining yourselves to also look hungry.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:54 AM   #25
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Quote:
I just got back in the car to bring home another 219 cans of food...

That makes 406 cans of food purchased today. I will not have to worry about food for a long time...
Good job, that's a six month supply of food.
I was buying up all the 90 day buckets of freeze dried food I could when all the places online were blowing them out for 1/2 price last year.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:12 AM   #26
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

Quote:
Humans are still considered animals at the basic level. We're really not that intelligent either.
The aliens were helping us, but last couple of decades and they're throwing up their appendages in despair.
Fucking humans anyway-

Quote:
2020 Baby! Bring it!
Old 03-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #27
archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post

Thatís a fair comment if there are no other variables. Letís think of the variables that potentially exist in the situation we are talking about.

1, there is a true pandemic where there is an emerging virus that may mutate and that will likely interrupt the worlds movement of supplies. The supplies will include other cleaning agents such as laundry detergent and soap and toothpaste and mouthwash. This would also include disinfectants like Clorox bleach, Lysol, and similar.

2. Medicines including antibiotics both or all as well as topical may be in short supply.

4. If peoples survival diet consists of lots of canned foods and other filling yet less nutritious fair then lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh meats, do you think your immune system will be top notch?

5. If there is a general level of stress and anxiety because of the money problems and challenges texting come with a situation like this, again do you think your immune system will be top notch?

And you wanna fool around with feces and swishing around in a toilet bowl either the actual one or some bucket or hole with rags? If so have a fun time doing it. I think it would be an exercise in bad judgment
Old 03-15-2020, 07:05 AM   #28
archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rebel View Post
If TS really did HTF, the hardest part is going to be disciplining yourselves to also look hungry.
This is actually a very serious issue that would occur at some point between 30 and 90 days into this if the food supply truly does shut off and that presumed you live in a really nice area. Inner-city it could be 3 to 5 days max. In the case of our family, we are relatively well supplied. And as I pointed out to my wife itís not just us would have to look hungry but somewhere very well fed and in certain cases chubby dogs that certainly would continue to look like they live the good life.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #29
archangel

Quote:
Did you really think that I would put the shit rags in with the rest of the laundry if I reached the point of having to use rags to wipe my ass with? C'mon man, I'm not an idiot. Read KernelKrinks response in post #21, its not like it hasn't been done before.
No, I definitely did not think you would put it directly in with your other laundry. Yes, I definitely think youíre a very bright fellow from your many and interesting posts.

The point Iím trying to make to anyone who is following this thread along in a serious manner: feces has an incredible potential for harboring the worst of bacteria. I am trying to tell you that you want to stay away from handling it as much as possible. A minor cut, which is a pathway for Infection, combined with feces, in the absence of clean running water, anti-septic products, and many other things that we presently take for granted, could be a recipe for disaster. I am simply stating that avoiding contact - excessively - with feces, if things get really bad would just be a good idea.

Better to consider these things now and have a point them to make a mistake at a later time that is either irrecoverable or that has significant consequences.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #30
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Shit.

In India they just go out in a field, shit, wipe with their left hand and hope they don't get bit by a freaking Cobra.

It's not all that hard to figure shit out.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #31
chillypepper
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post
Shit.

In India they just go out in a field, shit, wipe with their left hand and hope they don't get bit by a freaking Cobra.

It's not all that hard to figure shit out.
Well, when you put it that way...
Old 03-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #32
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 176307

These posts are funny. Trying to justify panic buying like you're different than the rest of them. You did exactly what everyone else did.

Basically translates to "I wasn't sheeple panic buying, I was calm."

I do agree the food shortage will be a short term problem. The reason is everyone became a prepper this past Friday when they got their paycheck because the schools are closing and it's hitting home. Once everyone is stocked up, it's not like they will be eating more than before, so the replacement foods will flow in and replenish pretty quickly.

You know what I don't see people buying up? Vitamins, and products designed to boost immune systems, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Want to save money building AND have the most authentic looking selector markings?

CLICK HERE!

LOOKING TO BUY: T2 OR T3 SOVIET THREADED AK47 BARREL

WTB APEX PURCHASED POLISH NSP3 SCOPE MARKED AKMSL PC00053 NrL-90058. It's out there!!!

Weaponmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #33
INDYK
INDY KALASHNIKOV
Contributor

AKaholic #: 149930

A few of my long time friends, ones that were so aware on how prepared one should be for events like this were not prepared what so ever. Waiting till Monday to buy a few can goods to prevent from having to go on the weekend. Waiting till Tuesday to pick up an M4 and a g19.... Me I seen something on the horizon after December, really for years like the rest of us PREPARED for whatever.
I speculated how this would eventually reach the USA and it did. I was buying a few items daily sometimes a half cart sometimes just a few items, collected more 5gal water containers months ago from neighbors who didn’t wanna fill them anymore and got to work. Now the bitches are calling me for Toilet Paper and complaining about online ammo vendors....
INDYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #34
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponmark View Post
These posts are funny. Trying to justify panic buying like you're different than the rest of them. You did exactly what everyone else did.

Basically translates to "I wasn't sheeple panic buying, I was calm."

I do agree the food shortage will be a short term problem. The reason is everyone became a prepper this past Friday when they got their paycheck because the schools are closing and it's hitting home. Once everyone is stocked up, it's not like they will be eating more than before, so the replacement foods will flow in and replenish pretty quickly.

You know what I don't see people buying up? Vitamins, and products designed to boost immune systems, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
In Houston, people eat out a lot so normally they don't have a lot of food at home.

Combine that with schools being let out for a week or 2 and guess what? People gotta go buy groceries.

It has created such a huge demand that many of the local grocery stores have curtailed their hours as it is taking extra time to restock stripped bare shelves.

But there are no REAL shortages, just extra waiting times for restocking and store cleaning.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #35
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 176307

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDYK View Post
Me I seen something on the horizon after December, really for years like the rest of us PREPARED for whatever.
I speculated how this would eventually reach the USA and it did.
Same here.

As soon as they bulldozed the roads around Wuhan, I had a feeling this was going to be different.

Many will blame the media for generating the hysteria (and yes, they have certainly added to it) but when you ask them who generated enough hysteria to quarantine millions in China where the state controls the media they look like a deer in the headlights.

Hopefully, some lessons are learned here.

Want to save money building AND have the most authentic looking selector markings?

CLICK HERE!

LOOKING TO BUY: T2 OR T3 SOVIET THREADED AK47 BARREL

WTB APEX PURCHASED POLISH NSP3 SCOPE MARKED AKMSL PC00053 NrL-90058. It's out there!!!

Weaponmark is online now   Reply With Quote