Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #1
Vepr7

AKaholic #: 203466
Default aks74 in plum

Just picked up another 104fr and put on plum furniture. Purchased the rifle unfired from a member here. Sourced a nice example of a Izzy plum magazine from a member here as well. The other furniture pieces are from Gunbroker. Here it is side by side with the standard back polymer.

I think I like the plum better.
Vepr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
dmk0210

AKaholic #: 54603

Nice! I like the plum. The mag's sweet too.

I've got two plum AKs myself.
dmk0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Mkennedy764

AKaholic #: 198607

When i first got in to aks, i absolutely couldn’t stand plum. Fast forward a few years and if it’s not my favorite Ak furniture set, it’s damn near close. Just something about it. Did we ever get the real reason that they chose the plum color ?
Mkennedy764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
bda
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181263

Love the plum!
bda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
Vepr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkennedy764 View Post
When i first got in to aks, i absolutely couldnít stand plum. Fast forward a few years and if itís not my favorite Ak furniture set, itís damn near close. Just something about it. Did we ever get the real reason that they chose the plum color ?
If I remember correctly, it was the early Soviet attempts at producing polymers for military applications. The batch producing the plum color resulted in adequate durability and strength, so in classic Russian pragmatism, it was put in use. The color of the polymer was most likely a secondary concern. I'm sure there a few people that could chime in.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
deadduck357
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 14612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr7 View Post
Just picked up another 104fr and put on plum furniture. Purchased the rifle unfired from a member here. Sourced a nice example of a Izzy plum magazine from a member here as well. The other furniture pieces are from Gunbroker. Here it is side by side with the standard back polymer.

I think I like the plum better.
NICE! Congrats. Love the plum.
deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
FloridaAKM
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3568

Your 74's are great, thanks for posting pictures. I have a family of 74's in plum, black & wood finishes. They come in fixed & folding stocks from back in the day when Todd was selling them out of ORF! I see you have kept the white / silver numbering on the carrier as I have done also.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
Fjordforder
LA FANTOMA

AKaholic #: 175530

Quote:
If I remember correctly, it was the early Soviet attempts at producing polymers for military applications. The batch producing the plum color resulted in adequate durability and strength, so in classic Russian pragmatism, it was put in use. The color of the polymer was most likely a secondary concern. I'm sure there a few people that could chime in.
As per my sig line, I get to hold all kinds of interesting conversations with friends outside the country on topics like that.

I was told the original black formula was too brittle, and adding a touch of purple dye to the mix gave the necessary flex for military acceptance.

Plum is one of my favorites, right up there with the dull orange of my Polish AKM. Prior to acquiring a proper plum set, I tried making one. It...didn`t go according to plan.

If I were closed in a room with Osama Bin Laden and a Communist, and I had a gun with two rounds, I would shoot OBL twice so I could strangle the Communist with my bare hands.

Interested in rare, uncommon or custom Russian military gear? PM me!

Fjordforder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
TangoUniform
за мой Автомат Калашникова

AKaholic #: 167175

Plum looks amazing.

Now... you have to find a plum bayonet to go with it!

Это моя винтовка. Существует много, таких как она, но эта единственная моя!
TangoUniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #10
Vepr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
Your 74's are great, thanks for posting pictures. I have a family of 74's in plum, black & wood finishes. They come in fixed & folding stocks from back in the day when Todd was selling them out of ORF! I see you have kept the white / silver numbering on the carrier as I have done also.
Thanks, something about plum that stirs up emotions for me.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
Vepr7

A few more plum pics, couldn't resist.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Braggart!

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #13
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

Plum 74 folder.. Doesn't get much better than that!
def90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #14
Vepr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Plum 74 folder.. Doesn't get much better than that!
I 100% agree. Like someone else who posted here, I at first didn't like the plum color over the shellac laminate and the black polymer furniture, but man... did it grow on me, so much so that I would say it's now my favorite.

Izzy triangle folder, shiny plum grip mold#1-2, Izzy plum magazine, and Russian plum furniture... match made in heaven.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:45 AM   #15
deadduck357
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 14612

Quote:
A few more plum pics, couldn't resist.

Feeling it.

Thanks
deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #16
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Yep Plum is a good color on a 104

Old 05-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #17
indyguy333
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182606

Plum with the triangle folder and 545 mag is sexy af
indyguy333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #18
Vepr7

The squad

Last edited by Vepr7; 05-15-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: repetitive
Old 05-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #19
Vepr7

I think I'm going to Zenitco one of my 104FR's with my Trump bucks. But I'll keep the barrel the way it is. I like the alpha look, but I don't want to go through the NFA stuff. Has anyone here "alpha'd" a 104FR while keeping the barrel unmodified? Does the long barrel look awkward or is it able to pull off the tacticool spetsnaz look?
Old 05-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #20
jekbrown
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 175516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordforder View Post
As per my sig line, I get to hold all kinds of interesting conversations with friends outside the country on topics like that.

I was told the original black formula was too brittle, and adding a touch of purple dye to the mix gave the necessary flex for military acceptance.
I've heard a lot of theories regarding how plum came to be, and I'm not saying yours isn't the true history of what happened (I sure as heck don't know), but one thing that gives me pause about the theory is this: the civilian population and museums have in the subsequent decades managed to acquire some very very rare prototypes (stuff like AG-4V mold #1 green border guard mags, and things of that kind of rarity). If there were prototypes done in black prior to plum, it seems likely that at least a couple of them would have survived in collectors hands or whatever. I mean, that green beaver barf mag is crazy rare--I think there's only 2 in the world. If both of those can 'come to light', I'd think an "early true black' would have surfaced as well. I've never heard of such a mag being described, let alone seen pics, which makes me suspicious.

If I had to guess, and it IS a guess, I'd say that it's the result of either the 'there's no true black in nature' theory (e.g. the color was completely intentional) or they didn't have the technology, or the access to the technology/material, necessary to make a 'true black' at the time a replacement for AG4 was being researched/tested/adopted. There's no shame in that. Most other countries in the world weren't issuing plastic mags in the early 80s. The USA was still a long ways away from buying Pmags.

It's also possible that the reason was pure corruption. Maybe some big shot defense minister or general had a brother that did industrial plastics. You never can tell about these things.
jekbrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #21
Fjordforder
LA FANTOMA

AKaholic #: 175530

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post
I've heard a lot of theories regarding how plum came to be, and I'm not saying yours isn't the true history of what happened (I sure as heck don't know), but one thing that gives me pause about the theory is this: the civilian population and museums have in the subsequent decades managed to acquire some very very rare prototypes (stuff like AG-4V mold #1 green border guard mags, and things of that kind of rarity). If there were prototypes done in black prior to plum, it seems likely that at least a couple of them would have survived in collectors hands or whatever. I mean, that green beaver barf mag is crazy rare--I think there's only 2 in the world. If both of those can 'come to light', I'd think an "early true black' would have surfaced as well. I've never heard of such a mag being described, let alone seen pics, which makes me suspicious.

If I had to guess, and it IS a guess, I'd say that it's the result of either the 'there's no true black in nature' theory (e.g. the color was completely intentional) or they didn't have the technology, or the access to the technology/material, necessary to make a 'true black' at the time a replacement for AG4 was being researched/tested/adopted. There's no shame in that. Most other countries in the world weren't issuing plastic mags in the early 80s. The USA was still a long ways away from buying Pmags.

It's also possible that the reason was pure corruption. Maybe some big shot defense minister or general had a brother that did industrial plastics. You never can tell about these things.
No, no, you bring up a very good point. However at the same time I`m left to wonder as to the authenticity of the "Experimental" items being sold on the secondary market as well...

Whatever happened all those years ago, plum is one of my favorite furniture colors.

If I were closed in a room with Osama Bin Laden and a Communist, and I had a gun with two rounds, I would shoot OBL twice so I could strangle the Communist with my bare hands.

Interested in rare, uncommon or custom Russian military gear? PM me!

Fjordforder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #22
TX-Zen
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161660

Quote:
I think I'm going to Zenitco one of my 104FR's with my Trump bucks. But I'll keep the barrel the way it is. I like the alpha look, but I don't want to go through the NFA stuff. Has anyone here "alpha'd" a 104FR while keeping the barrel unmodified? Does the long barrel look awkward or is it able to pull off the tacticool spetsnaz look?
You can do a lot without SBRing it

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote