Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Ammunition

Notices

Old 04-21-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
Guy Incognito
Mr. Fahrenheit

AKaholic #: 203553
Default Overpowered Wolf

I will spare you my lengthy prose; but recently I found myself in the desert testing some new Bulgarian mags (courtesy of our friends at Atlantic), and a new bayonet (covered in some kind of grimy substance), I could not help but notice that the latest case of Wolf Polyformance (only ammo I will feed to rifle) created an inordinate amount of noise and recoil. Only new item is bayonet. Accuracy was lacking.

Please advise.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
MagicMike
Cream of the CROP

AKaholic #: 172292

Shoot it out and replace it with another case.
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Guy Incognito
Mr. Fahrenheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMike View Post
Shoot it out and replace it with another case.
Good to know. Rifle of Rogow Manufacture will be of make survive. 1000 round of HP Tiger will be of next test of garage making.

Thus far, bolt and carrier have performed well; no cleaning, only oil. Being of past 3000 round, and for use of bed and cuddle duty, rifle is fine. Rifle made of Poland, using receiver of American redneck, very hard, very nice.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Mkupka
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 188901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
I will spare you my lengthy prose; but recently I found myself in the desert testing some new Bulgarian mags (courtesy of our friends at Atlantic), and a new bayonet (covered in some kind of grimy substance), I could not help but notice that the latest case of Wolf Polyformance (only ammo I will feed to rifle) created an inordinate amount of noise and recoil. Only new item is bayonet. Accuracy was lacking.

Please advise.

Wolf Milspec appears seems to pack a heavier punch as well. A 4 years ago, I did a a 3 day AK build and shoot class class led by by Vince Buckles, and on the 3rd day we had the shoot class with Larry Vickers. When I started shooting, Larry came over to me and said, what are you shooting? Is that Mil-spec? Apparently my muzzle blast was noticeably greater than the other shooters. I just learned to live with it Accuracy on Wolf Mil-Spec was certainly acceptable typically < 2 inches at 100 yards.
Mkupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
Guy Incognito
Mr. Fahrenheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkupka View Post
Wolf Milspec appears seems to pack a heavier punch as well. A 4 years ago, I did a a 3 day AK build and shoot class class led by by Vince Buckles, and on the 3rd day we had the shoot class with Larry Vickers. When I started shooting, Larry came over to me and said, what are you shooting? Is that Mil-spec? Apparently my muzzle blast was noticeably greater than the other shooters. I just learned to live with it Accuracy on Wolf Mil-Spec was certainly acceptable typically < 2 inches at 100 yards.
All I know is that my garage manufacture which only makes use of Wolf Polyformance gave noticeably different feedback. I just wanted to know if anyone else had encountered a similar phenomenon, or if the bayonet (only new attachment to rifle) was to blame, or if it was psychosomatic.

Edit: accuracy has been MOA (minute of asshole) which is what I wanted out of the big chonker. I point at trash, it hits trash. I use the measurements of pretty close, kinda far, and really far. My frame of reference for these targets is how big of a pain it is to set them up once the thing that holds them up has fallen over.

Last edited by Guy Incognito; 04-21-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Guy Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
esh21167
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170974

I thought this was a thread about our Demoncrat governor in PA...
esh21167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Without a chronograph all you can do is make assumptions.

I recently observed some newly purchased Russian 55 grain 556x45 that was significantly UNDERPOWERED to the point it would not cycle an AR15 that otherwise functioned perfectly with any other ammo.

Freaking Russian ammo is trash.

But cheap.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
Oldsalt
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 194552

The bayonet changed the barrel harmonics and therefore the precision and POI.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Guy Incognito
Mr. Fahrenheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt View Post
The bayonet changed the barrel harmonics and therefore the precision and POI.
I kekd heartily at all your responses, but I still haven't figured out the multi-quote system, but I chose to include this one not only because it was the most informative, but also because it raised even more questions.

Why are the invaders from the north wrong about the bayonet guiding the bullet ?

Why does this heavy knife not reduce recoil ?

I don't mean to ask too many question regarding rifle, which is fine, and will be well fed today (observing social distance and disinfecting protocols, inna desert)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #10
Mkupka
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 188901

Quote:
I kekd heartily at all your responses, but I still haven't figured out the multi-quote system, but I chose to include this one not only because it was the most informative, but also because it raised even more questions.

Why are the invaders from the north wrong about the bayonet guiding the bullet ?

Why does this heavy knife not reduce recoil ?

I don't mean to ask too many question regarding rifle, which is fine, and will be well fed today (observing social distance and disinfecting protocols, inna desert)
The barrel flexes (like a wet noodle) at a frequency determined by length and mass. Adding a Bayonet changes that vibration frequency, therefore the POI changes.

Mkupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #11
pisomojado101

AKaholic #: 196447

Quote:
Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
I thought this was a thread about our Demoncrat governor in PA...
Lol!
pisomojado101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
DavidF

AKaholic #: 204306

Quote:

Please advise.
Which Wolf Polyformance load is it. I have chronographed the 123gr FMJ load (Barnaul loaded). A ten shot string from 10 yards out of a PSA GF3 gave and average of 2316 fps, ES of 60 and SD of 18. This was near sea level, 50 degress, 55% humidity and barometric pressure of 30.18. it was not overpowered, but it was decently consistent. I saw better results that day (and on subsequent tests as well) with Wolf 123gr FMJ Mil Classic at and AV of 2349, ES 50, and SD of 15.
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
adam38654

AKaholic #: 193760

I would be interested to see it over a chrono. I remember 10 year ago wolf was pumping out cases of ammo that barely did 2100fps and wouldn't even cycle under gassed guns. I have a spam can of german ammo that some report 2600fps. That is nearing 308 velocities but accuracy suffered.
adam38654 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #14
smithy72
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Interesting .Usually there 5.56 stuff is slightly under standard velocity. Like
55 Gr FMJ at 2850 -2900 fps vs 3200 ish that full power Nato ammo would run.
Usually though Colt, BCM and the like would function it fine the lower end guns DPMS,Bushmaster ,Etc. would choke.
smithy72 is offline   Reply With Quote