Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
SaintJames

AKaholic #: 200747
Default Own little piece of paradise

Well gents ... and ladies I shook hands on a house today and getting ready to finalize it in the coming weeks.

Prime location being 45 minutes from all big towns , makes for a drive to work but as I look around ....... I think that's best .
Its small but with some land and the best part 200 yards or so off the dirt road .

I'm elated because I thought it had fallen through due to the wu flue
I want chickens , the boy wants alpacas and we both want a garden .
We are fighting over the bees currently but if that the only tough decision right now Ill take it .

I want to create a homestead and thought Id ask the experienced what takes priority . What would you suggest I focus on first ?
SaintJames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:22 AM   #2
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Congratulations!
You won't believe what a difference having a piece of paradise is going to have on your health and outlook.
I have birds here, lots of birds. A joy to watch through the dining room window while eating breakfast.
We enjoy silence most mornings sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee. Can hear the cattle munching grass, the bluebirds songs, the hummingbird's wings. Absolutely nothing like it. Why I moved here and I'm still too close to the county road. My mailman disturbs the peace on a regular basis.

What you should focus on first?

Enjoy the new world, the quiet, the atmosphere.

Chickens, garden, etc.

Me and the misses are doing 5 gallon bucket garden this year. If you want some Egyptian walking onions just let me know.
Chickens and eggs, zucchinni and okra, etc all just right around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
If our galaxy was a city Earth would be the ghetto.....
2020 Baby! Bring it!
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:47 AM   #3
racerx944
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166809

Good that you are able to find happiness nowadays. If you have a long drive on highway, having a VW TDI helps as I get around 46mpg on the highways. Fuel costs add up when you drive a lot.
next son of a bitch that starts a thread about "gouging" or "greed" should be permanently banned. you fukers fell asleep at the wheel. deal with it. stand your ass in line at walmart, grab your three boxes and flip it on the net or stick in mason jars and bury it. until you grasp the concept of supply and demand as it relates to ignorant buyers just quit bitching about it. damn if i ain't tired of hearing this shit.
racerx944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
zwild1
Once a caring soul & now it's WTF
Contributor

AKaholic #: 162705

Congrats. The joy chicken's. Look at some guinea hens. Eggs are fantastic. They kill rodents. They are great protection. Im thinking I made a mistake selling and leaving my farm.

AZ get involved. AZ Civil Defense League
Fight today for our future.
https://www.azcdl.org/index.html
zwild1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
TucoRamirez
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 198325

Congratulations !
TucoRamirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188710

Perennials.
Closed loop system.
- Congratulations.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
subcpo
Shai-Hulud
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 195602

<————

AK File Relic Sightings(1-100): #3, #14, #16,#53, #62, #64,#83 #90, #95
AK File Relic Sightings(101-500):#132,#180,#357
Death is a preferable alternative to Communism.
subcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
paulo

AKaholic #: 509

Get yourself a tractor.
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
SaintJames

Thank you Gents , I mean it

More than I planned on paying and it needs work so it'll be some time before I'm in ,but weekend work will make short work of it .
It'll be a busy summer for sure but with everything going on though and how I let it affect me I gots to cut out .

The back of the house over looks an old dried up marsh and I'm thinking Ill cut most of the undergrowth a hundreds yards out and sit on the back deck before work on Saturdays staring at what ever wanders in .

you are right Paulo , a tractor is a must
when my father past he had a 50's ford that I had to let go so I may just hunt it down .

And I don't know what Egyptian walking onions are ram rod but I may just take you up on that offer after I'm settled .
Old 06-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #10
tommygun2000
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 4777

Make sure your tractor is 4wd and has a loader, fork attachments and a good bushhog mower. Find a diesel tank to keep some fuel around.
Congrats on your new place.

Forget a 50's 2wd tractor, get a modern 4wd. You'll need it.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
Mxwllbkr

AKaholic #: 194569

If you plan on planting an orchard or any fruit trees....... take the time and do it sooner then later, trees take time to grow. We planted 24 assorted fruit trees 3 years ago, if we actually waited until we had the time to do it..... they still wouldn’t be planted! Around that same time we bought a 52hp tractor never thought we would have over 450hrs on it in just the 3 years...... the most used implements we have are probably the hydraulic thumb on the backhoe and the big grapple for the Front end loader.
Mxwllbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
paulo

Yup, a modern 4 wheel drive tractor. Loader, rear blade and brush hog to start. Youll be amazed at all the work you'll find for it. It will also allow you to spend more time enjoying your slice of heaven.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #13
subcpo
Shai-Hulud
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 195602

You ain’t no kind of man if you ain’t got land

AK File Relic Sightings(1-100): #3, #14, #16,#53, #62, #64,#83 #90, #95
AK File Relic Sightings(101-500):#132,#180,#357
Death is a preferable alternative to Communism.
subcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
SaintJames

I thinking you are right on a new tractor Tommygun and though nostalgia is strong I will be looking for one
With a drive that long I'm going to need a reliable tractor in the winter months

Talking with the ex brother in-law and he suggests planting black walnut for the great grand kids but I think Ill plant fruit trees also , thanks Mxwllbkr

To your comment subco , Im not as old as some and I may be talking out my ass but I think we should go back in time when it comes to the right to vote .
Perhaps we would have people that are actually invested in our country .
If you Own land then you can dictate the direction of the country , small caveats can be the exception .
Like I've said before though ............ I could be an idiot ha
Old 06-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJames View Post
Talking with the ex brother in-law and he suggests planting black walnut for the great grand kids but I think Ill plant fruit trees also , thanks Mxwllbkr
Walnut trees secrete juglone which is a toxin to other plants.

Dont impulse buy trees. Do your homework when it comes to disease resistance and if fireblight is a problem in your area.
Buy trees on full size rootstock. Dwarfing may produce faster, but thats only because the lifespan of the tree is cut in half. Large roots are also much better about drought.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #16
jonjon
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176916

Congratulations! Sounds fantastic!
jonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
paulo

The size of your property should help you determine the size of a tractor.
You may want to consider a front mount snow blower. A rear blade will work for doing a drive. I use both on a quarter mile gravel drive.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #18
Danielsand
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 198057

I know the feeling of paradise OP.

I've never been happier in my life. Four years ago (almost to the day) I found my "private Idaho". Eleven hundred acres on the edge of the wilderness gives you peace like you wouldn't believe. If you are an animal lover, it gives you pleasure of observing hundreds of deer, and elk that live on your land, not to mention numerous bears, coyotes, wolves, and the rest.

You might see a cop (a deputy) once every couple of months (if you drive down the highway to town), and when you see him, he'll wave, and if he has time, he'll invite you for a drink. You carry whatever firearm you want, open, or concealed (no "permission" needed) anywhere,....in the bar, grocery store, court house,....anywhere, and everyone does it. You shoot whatever caliber you want, on your private range whenever you feel like it. The closest neighbor is over a mile away, and he's of the same political/social orientation, and has the same interests as you.

Just yesterday I found out that we have ONE liberal in town! I was shocked. I didn't think we have any (the town is 20 miles away). There are no "minorities", no COVID bullshit, no "riots", no masks.

As close to heaven as you can be.

Get more land,....you can never have too much. I'm negotiating a purchase of additional 600 acres as we speak.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #19
SAVAGE11
Amish Redneck

AKaholic #: 158321

Congratulations, we moved to the country seven years ago. First thing we did was install a security system, which is a backup, to the German shepherds.

((DB)) #69 BaconBalls
SAVAGE11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
like-a-ghost

AKaholic #: 159524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I know the feeling of paradise OP.

I've never been happier in my life. Four years ago (almost to the day) I found my "private Idaho". Eleven hundred acres on the edge of the wilderness gives you peace like you wouldn't believe. If you are an animal lover, it gives you pleasure of observing hundreds of deer, and elk that live on your land, not to mention numerous bears, coyotes, wolves, and the rest.

You might see a cop (a deputy) once every couple of months (if you drive down the highway to town), and when you see him, he'll wave, and if he has time, he'll invite you for a drink. You carry whatever firearm you want, open, or concealed (no "permission" needed) anywhere,....in the bar, grocery store, court house,....anywhere, and everyone does it. You shoot whatever caliber you want, on your private range whenever you feel like it. The closest neighbor is over a mile away, and he's of the same political/social orientation, and has the same interests as you.

Just yesterday I found out that we have ONE liberal in town! I was shocked. I didn't think we have any (the town is 20 miles away). There are no "minorities", no COVID bullshit, no "riots", no masks.

As close to heaven as you can be.

Get more land,....you can never have too much. I'm negotiating a purchase of additional 600 acres as we speak.
Sounds like paradise, except for having a liberal infesting the town. There's a retired cop that shoots where we do. He said some of his friends also retired cops moved to northern Idaho, I don't know where nor did I ask. And the town got infested with liberals, when there wasn't any before. According to him, Next thing they knew, the town it turned into a liberal breading ground with liberal politicians. His friends are all moving now the last time he spoke with them. *Watch out for any liberal infestation contaminating your paradise. Liberals destroy everything they touch with their ideologies!

Never post where your land is or your town' name. You might get a liberal swarm invading, it's what they do.

Last edited by like-a-ghost; 06-06-2020 at 11:29 PM.
like-a-ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #21
Rpk74

AKaholic #: 194190

Plant some fruit trees right away. They take a few years to grow. Well worth the very small time and financial investment. They will be a joy for the rest of your life. Watch your grandkids in them!
Rpk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #22
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Well gents ... and ladies I shook hands on a house today and getting ready to finalize it in the coming weeks.

Prime location being 45 minutes from all big towns , makes for a drive to work but as I look around ....... I think that's best .
Its small but with some land and the best part 200 yards or so off the dirt road .

I'm elated because I thought it had fallen through due to the wu flue
I want chickens , the boy wants alpacas and we both want a garden .
We are fighting over the bees currently but if that the only tough decision right now Ill take it .

I want to create a homestead and thought Id ask the experienced what takes priority . What would you suggest I focus on first ?
In Michigan?

Firewood.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #23
Villuj_idiot

AKaholic #: 205594

Quote:
Water.

Figure out how you're going to get water to your house, animals, and crops when the city stops delivering it to your faucets.
Villuj_idiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #24
Brasky
Best Damn Salesman in the Office

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villuj_idiot View Post
Water.

Figure out how you're going to get water to your house, animals, and crops when the city stops delivering it to your faucets.
I just drink the blood of my victims. Haven't you ever had deer blood before?
Brasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #25
RMiller
Avtomat Kalashnikova Gunner for GRU
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Sounds great OP.

Автомат Калашникова Стрелок
RMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #26
A J
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 173129

Definitely do chickens. They are the easiest to care for. The eggs are the best. Make sure you build an impenetrable coop and outdoor run. Coons, coyotes, foxes, owls and hawks will be eyeing your flock from day one.

Never done bees or alpacas. Bees might be ok, but I'd never go back to large livestock EVER. Too much work, money, time and energy. Anything larger than a chicken will cause you to change your lifestyle in ways you don't want.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #27
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

^^^Chicken manure is extremely valuable as well. Alpaca poop is supposed to excellent fertilizer too, but chicken manure’s nitrogen level is top shelf.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #28
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

Congrats. We bought our 36 acres in rural AZ 3 years ago and have been living on it full time for a year now. Recently bought the adjoining 36 acres as well.
Steve_In_29 is offline   Reply With Quote