Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
Firebolt1176

AKaholic #: 159561
Default Is the Vickers Name on this AK really worth this much???

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871404573

https://imgur.com/a/id6tCKZ

Followed this auction when I found it on Gunbroker; was surprised to see it touch $2000, but absolutely astonished to see it go for just north of $3000.

With that aside, I have no doubt that the work is good. The choice of the receiver (Childers CG1 Polish blank) for the Polish AKMS kit was good: but a US made mystery meat barrel? Can't believe a parts kit build, and not a particularly rare one at that with a US barrel, would go for that much. The high bidder looks also to be legit and not an NR shill.

So I'm wondering: is Vickers's name really worth that much in the AK world, to where he lays a Midas Touch on his AK builds?
Firebolt1176 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #2
CrusherDestroyer
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 169869

To the winner of that auction it is.
CrusherDestroyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 AM   #3
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

The seller was doing it right, penny start with no reserve, those auctions always seem to bring out the deep pockets.
def90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebolt1176 View Post

Followed this auction when I found it on Gunbroker; was surprised to see it touch $2000, but absolutely astonished to see it go for just north of $3000.

With that aside, I have no doubt that the work is good. The choice of the receiver (Childers CG1 Polish blank) for the Polish AKMS kit was good: but a US made mystery meat barrel? Can't believe a parts kit build, and not a particularly rare one at that with a US barrel, would go for that much. The high bidder looks also to be legit and not an NR shill.

So I'm wondering: is Vickers's name really worth that much in the AK world, to where he lays a Midas Touch on his AK builds?
People lack personal worth and confidence. Therefore, they look up to and put other men on a pedestal. I could put up the same rifle with no reserve and it wouldn't come close to that price. Good for Larry. Sad for the douchbag who paid a premium for a mediocre AK.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

Buyer must be a big fan of Tac TV.
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
TX-Zen
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna_Armory_LLC
A SIGNED letter of authenticity from Mr. Vickers can be provided at the buyer's request.
I'm glad it has a SIGNED letter from Mr. Vickers. If it was just signed it wouldn't be as authentic

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
JoeCorrado
SAMMICHES

AKaholic #: 193119

At least the winner is getting a letter of provenance with it. I wouldn't buy something like that but obviously others will.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
Mr Nobody
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 180863

Like Iv said over and over.
Some people on Gun Broker don’t care about the price they have to pay for what they want.
This is a classic example
You could probably just about have two built for that price.
I know I could build three.

But someone wanted it now.
The sad part is it jacks up the market for the rest of you that can’t build your own AKs.
Mr Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

AKaholic #: 5008

Vickers is just a marketing name these days.

The builder paid Vickers a licensing fee to use his name to market the build.
Thats what the buyer paid for.....the licensing / kickup fees on top of a custom AK build.

This is just how marketing names work to the gooney goo goo crowd.
To each their own, but no its not "worth" that to me. I am not a collector eirher.

I just want them to go bang when I need them to.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
Rahatlakhoom
Galactic Straw Boss

AKaholic #: 7248

Mesa Kinetic Research?
No doubt a quantum leap.
Tactical beyond reproach.
How do dimwits land profitable sales like this?????
I can't sell oxygen to a dying man.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
GreensboroGunner

AKaholic #: 181168

As someone not familiar with bidding sites, why is blackmon bidding against himself on a no reserve auction? Is this legit, or is that an associate bumping the price up and up artificially?
GreensboroGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #12
catinthefurnace

AKaholic #: 198110

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreensboroGunner View Post
As someone not familiar with bidding sites, why is blackmon bidding against himself on a no reserve auction? Is this legit, or is that an associate bumping the price up and up artificially?
He's not bidding against himself. He set a max bid, so the system keeps bidding for him automatically up to his max, as others continue to bid.
catinthefurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
jekbrown
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 175516

lookin' all authentic and stuff until you see the trigger. ALG should clone the trigger shape used by commies. Love their triggers, but they scream 'domestic!!!' and that's not always what I want.
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
Longshot725
Patriot
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 168398

Nope, it's not worth half that to me.

But that's me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
...Go to hell. Enjoy the ban. Get tapeworm.
Longshot725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #15
stankey_white

AKaholic #: 201755

An AK endorsed by a guy who spent the majority of his career using not AKs.

Sure!

-Stan
stankey_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #16
madmanmccoy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 115894

There's a sucker born every minute.............
Protect the Helpless Tho It Leads to your Death

DEO VINDICE....Fidelis Tamquam Post Mortem
madmanmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #17
hank327

AKaholic #: 72187

I have a similar AK. It’s built on a Hungarian FEG receiver using an unissued Polish AKMS parts kit with the original Polish barrel. It’s got blonde Bulgarian wood furniture. It’s a SSR85-B built by Global Trades in Houston back in 2001. Wonder if I could get a similar price for it? I mean it’s got an all numbers matching unissued kit with the Polish military barrel AND a genuine Commie factory built FEG receiver. To paraphrase Poppa Johns Pizza, “better parts mean a better Kalashnikov”.

It’s actually a great AKM. Excellent build quality and accurate.

(For those who can’t tell, I’m being sarcastic) About getting similar $$$. It seriously is a great rifle.

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.” Thomas Paine
hank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

NO.

I would rather have what I have.

Allied Armament original Polish CHFCL barrel on a nodak spud receiver.

I like Vickers however just because his name is associated with something means nothing to me.

hansellhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #19
dR. vEpR

AKaholic #: 193431

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreensboroGunner View Post
On 6/19 Kochu placed a bid of $3000.00. Blackmon is a noob (or bidding on his own auction) and bid in $100.00 increments on 6/28, eventually winning the gun after 10 bids.

Here's the way auctions on Gunbroker work. Lets say you're selling an item and start the bid at $0.01. I place a bid of 3000.00 (my highest offer) the price still shows 0.01. I am currently winning the auction for 1 cent until someone bids. Lets say Joe Blow bids 1000.00. I'm still winning the auction but now I owe 1000.00. If someone bids $3001.00 I am no longer "winning" the auction.

Hopefully this helps.

dR
dR. vEpR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #20
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by dR. vEpR View Post
On 6/19 Kochu placed a bid of $3000.00. Blackmon is a noob (or bidding on his own auction) and bid in $100.00 increments on 6/28, eventually winning the gun after 10 bids.

Here's the way auctions on Gunbroker work. Lets say you're selling an item and start the bid at $0.01. I place a bid of 3000.00 (my highest offer) the price still shows 0.01. I am currently winning the auction for 1 cent until someone bids. Lets say Joe Blow bids 1000.00. I'm still winning the auction but now I owe 1000.00. If someone bids $3001.00 I am no longer "winning" the auction.

Hopefully this helps.

dR

Suckers born every minute.....Geeze
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:49 PM   #21
dR. vEpR

AKaholic #: 193431

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Suckers born every minute.....Geeze
Yeah.... That bid is crazy IMO. But people want what they want... I guess?
dR. vEpR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #22
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Picture 8 shows a gap on the LH side at the barrel pin and and some deformation of the trunion hole .

The tool that set the LH trunion rivets was slightly to small and they have a ring of displaced metal at the base of the head .

Not a big deal on a $600 rifle but on a $3000 rifle id want it perfect I don't care whos name is on the papers for it .

also that bolt head has some fugely machining on it ?? factory Im sure but its weird looking .

pretty good money for a $500? kit build done at a class with a incorrect trigger in it as far as being authentic .

The wanna be battle field pick up finish is to sanded in many places to evenly and you can see the lines from what ever was used to remove the finish especially on the rivet heads .
Its to over done IMO and has places that should not be as worn IMO . I look at it and see a gun made to look worn . A correctly done one looks like a old worn well used gun.
This looks like a new build that was sanded down .

Could I do better ?? likely not but I would not be happy with that pin gap and Id want a better BFPU job . I have seen guys here do better
1biggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:03 AM   #23
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by dR. vEpR View Post
Yeah.... That bid is crazy IMO. But people want what they want... I guess?
I could find alot better things to spend my money on than that. Makes me think it was fake bidding.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #24
ohlongarm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebolt1176 View Post

LOL,the fool who bought it,could have gotten a Zastava bulged trunnion,a Wasr uf,and an npap 94 with brace,all better than what he bought.
ohlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #25
Bubba H
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 184894

That BFPU finish is awful. Not done well at all. Fake wear on a gun is kinda lame to me anyway.
Bubba H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #26
ohlongarm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
Picture 8 shows a gap on the LH side at the barrel pin and and some deformation of the trunion hole .

The tool that set the LH trunion rivets was slightly to small and they have a ring of displaced metal at the base of the head .

Not a big deal on a $600 rifle but on a $3000 rifle id want it perfect I don't care whos name is on the papers for it .

also that bolt head has some fugely machining on it ?? factory Im sure but its weird looking .

pretty good money for a $500? kit build done at a class with a incorrect trigger in it as far as being authentic .

The wanna be battle field pick up finish is to sanded in many places to evenly and you can see the lines from what ever was used to remove the finish especially on the rivet heads .
Its to over done IMO and has places that should not be as worn IMO . I look at it and see a gun made to look worn . A correctly done one looks like a old worn well used gun.
This looks like a new build that was sanded down .

Could I do better ?? likely not but I would not be happy with that pin gap and Id want a better BFPU job . I have seen guys here do better
Amen,I wouldn't trade my Zastava uf shooter,8000 rds down the pipe,no problems .For that klunker.But it ain't my money,only my opinion.
ohlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote