Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Full Autos

Notices

Old 06-08-2020, 06:10 AM   #1
TheChunkNorris

AKaholic #: 203246
Default AC556K Journey.

I purchased an AC556KF back in 2015, I love it but man it took a little to get it running perfectly. In case you're wondering the difference between an AC556 and a Mini-14, it's as simple as the AC556 having a 4 position selector on the right of the receiver next to the rear peep sight. The exterior of the rifle is flawless but ended up needing all new springs, a new BHO cover, and lastly a piston. The rifle runs really well after those parts were updated and that's a great thing because Ruger no longer supports the AC in any capacity. The price has steadily risen over the years and it's becoming harder to find a clean one under $10k which still makes it an entry level FA .223 rifle. Looking back I probably should've gotten a FNC and did the AK5 conversion... that ship is long sailed now that AK5 kits are going for ridiculous money and essentially what the AK12 is to the AK74.

This is how the rifle currently sits in the safe. I removed all the wood to preserve them in the event I decided to sell and added a Clyde Armory SCAR chassis. The chassis is no longer made and they were produced for Clyde by Sage. I do have a Ciener AC556 .22LR conversion kit as well, runs amazingly well on CCI ammo.

TheChunkNorris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

Very nice ..I am surpised there is not more of a aftermarket for these as they are some of the cheepest as you noted 223 rifles you can get FA .... I mean at least for the basic stuff like small parts etc ...

I think that is what might hold some back some as the FNC cheep but if someone major breaks good luck on parts .

Also in the case of the mini the price of mags was for a while a issue better now but ..

But that looks like a nice set up OP ..Thous stock are pretty heavy though LB wise
Old 06-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
TheChunkNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
Very nice ..I am surpised there is not more of a aftermarket for these as they are some of the cheepest as you noted 223 rifles you can get FA .... I mean at least for the basic stuff like small parts etc ...

I think that is what might hold some back some as the FNC cheep but if someone major breaks good luck on parts .

Also in the case of the mini the price of mags was for a while a issue better now but ..

But that looks like a nice set up OP ..Thous stock are pretty heavy though LB wise
Yeah that's true about the FNC, I've seen some nice clean ones in the $15k range and some Valmets almost in the $19k area which would make the AC556 look like a relative bargain. Lucked out on mags from CDNN, 30rd OEM Ruger mags were only $25 each.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
Yeah that's true about the FNC, I've seen some nice clean ones in the $15k range and some Valmets almost in the $19k area which would make the AC556 look like a relative bargain. Lucked out on mags from CDNN, 30rd OEM Ruger mags were only $25 each.
The 556 Valmets go for way less then the x39 as the mags are so pricy ..The plus of the FNC is it takes normal mags but parts well its got to point where a lot of people who own FA ones buy a semi auto just to canablize for parts .

And yeah at least the mags have come down in price on the mini now .

I almost got a AC556 but the parts issues was my worry ..

I just love that A-team stock lol
Old 06-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
TheChunkNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
The 556 Valmets go for way less then the x39 as the mags are so pricy ..The plus of the FNC is it takes normal mags but parts well its got to point where a lot of people who own FA ones buy a semi auto just to canablize for parts .

And yeah at least the mags have come down in price on the mini now .

I almost got a AC556 but the parts issues was my worry ..

I just love that A-team stock lol
I did have an opportunity to get a stainless AC556 but it was a full sized model with no mags. Samson Mfg makes the stainless wood folder for modern guns since they've been long discontinued by Ruger... it's such a cool looking stock indeed.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Nice AC556K Chuck! I remember back pre 86 when my dealer had them on the wall, I think that they were right under $400 and then add the $200 stamp. I came real close to getting one but the CLEO of the county that I lived in back then would never approve a mere civilian owning a Class III firearm, unless you were one of his buddies.

The Samson stocks are good to go. I picked up one for my ex police ban era Mini 14 GB

Old 06-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
TheChunkNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
Nice AC556K Chuck! I remember back pre 86 when my dealer had them on the wall, I think that they were right under $400 and then add the $200 stamp. I came real close to getting one but the CLEO of the county that I lived in back then would never approve a mere civilian owning a Class III firearm, unless you were one of his buddies.

The Samson stocks are good to go. I picked up one for my ex police ban era Mini 14 GB

Oh Christ... sadly I was 4yrs old when that happened!!! Man I had an opportunity to get 2 Mac-11s in 2009 for 3500.00 and passed like a big dummy. That Mini looks extremely nice and Samson also makes those stocks for 10/22s which is pretty awesome. At some point I'd like a 300BLK Mini.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
TheChunkNorris

The first time I went to shoot it, the BHO cover came apart and I didn't get a chance to go FA. Looking back I could've but at the time I wasn't sure if it was ok.

It sat at the shop for about 6 months until I got back from deployment, that weekend I went to the range and it wouldn't run a full 30rd mag but ran the 20s which is extremely odd. CW suggested I swap out all the springs and maybe the piston. Initially when looking at the piston I thought it had carbon on it which was actually pitting. Swapped out the piston, springs and added a buffer... works well now.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

Quote:
Oh Christ... sadly I was 4yrs old when that happened!!! Man I had an opportunity to get 2 Mac-11s in 2009 for 3500.00 and passed like a big dummy. That Mini looks extremely nice and Samson also makes those stocks for 10/22s which is pretty awesome. At some point I'd like a 300BLK Mini.
And back pre 1986 I could have bought Mac-11s for $189.00 and then added the $200 tax , all day long every day.

I love shooting full autos, but it is hard for me to justify the current prices.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #10
jdg
Wildlife Depredador
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182818

Very cool! Nice to see a real one, I settled on a clone

Old 06-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
TheChunkNorris

Wow man nice!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #12
jdg
Wildlife Depredador
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182818

Quote:
Wow man nice!
Thanks, but Id rather have yours!!
Old 06-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
TheChunkNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
Thanks, but Id rather have yours!!
Too bad I don't shoot it as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
And back pre 1986 I could have bought Mac-11s for $189.00 and then added the $200 tax , all day long every day.

I love shooting full autos, but it is hard for me to justify the current prices.
Jeez I wish.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #14
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Nice MG! My brother may get one some day, he's a Ruger man.

I've dreamed about getting a transferable FN FNC for years. Have a box full of parts and mags for it already, just gotta save up the $$$$$ to pop on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #15
TheChunkNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweersa View Post
Nice MG! My brother may get one some day, he's a Ruger man.

I've dreamed about getting a transferable FN FNC for years. Have a box full of parts and mags for it already, just gotta save up the $$$$$ to pop on one.
I have a friend who had his fixed up... the FNC is really nice.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #16
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Quote:
I have a friend who had his fixed up... the FNC is really nice.
Sweet! Have you any trigger time with it? Curious on what (if any) issues your friend had with his before getting it fixed up.

I hear the firing pins are prone to cracking, which is why I have a few of them in my parts pin in anticipation of getting one one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
GoNoGo
Not a
Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

Small world, just yesterday my next door neighbor let me fondle his beautiful, unblemished SS AC556K that he bought from Ruben in Miami but was only has a 3 position selector, not 4. Single, 3-shot burst and full auto.
GoNoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM   #18
TheChunkNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
Small world, just yesterday my next door neighbor let me fondle his beautiful, unblemished SS AC556K that he bought from Ruben in Miami but was only has a 3 position selector, not 4. Single, 3-shot burst and full auto.
Ruben only sells impeccable MGs and he hates Ruger, only buys if they're factory perfect so your neighbor got a perfect model. Some people consider Safe as a position yes it's the same exact thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweersa View Post
Sweet! Have you any trigger time with it? Curious on what (if any) issues your friend had with his before getting it fixed up.

I hear the firing pins are prone to cracking, which is why I have a few of them in my parts pin in anticipation of getting one one day.
He upgraded the whole FNC and it's more like an AR now, it's really nice. Sadly I don't have time behind it, he lives in AZ and I live in FL.