Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Archetype
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 87807
Default SCAR 20S

Mighty impressive for sure! I’ve been on the fence about one of these or a Gucci precision AR-10 style rifle for quite a while. Leaning more towards the 20S now.

Archetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
Lightstrider
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177964

You gonna dump $7000 into the complete kit?
Lightstrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Mr. Stizout

AKaholic #: 205312

I love my SCAR 20S .

It makes my old PSL-54C and Russian Tiger look like garbage in comparison. I would recommend you do it if you have the funds.
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves?... Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
ó Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
WTB 1P87 Red Dot
Mr. Stizout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
Pipefitter
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 199803

I would like one in black to match my 17s. Most of the 20s are fde. I believe the new 6.5 can be had in black, but I don't want a different caliber.
Pipefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
unicratt
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164114

It's sexy for sure. I have a 17s already but debating buying this or a DT SRS...decisions decisions
unicratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #6
Rob Ski
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 173263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stizout View Post
I love my SCAR 20S
It makes my old PSL-54C and Russian Tiger look like garbage in comparison. I would recommend you do it if you have the funds.
Lol, ok, you are compering mid 60s and 70s technology to basically state of the art 21st century gun...I think it's fair to assume that progress has been made in those 60 years...

Vimeo Commercial Free Channel
Rob Ski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
Vance
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179748

Quote:
I love my SCAR 20S .

You can send me your garbage for proper disposal. Iíll even pay shipping!
Old 05-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
smallport

AKaholic #: 200601

I have scar 16 for short range. Scar 17s for up to 700 yards. Going longer distance, I recommend falkor petra 300 wm. My Petra has been amazingly accurate at 1000 yards.
smallport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 AM   #9
Archetype
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 87807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ski View Post
Lol, ok, you are compering mid 60s and 70s technology to basically state of the art 21st century gun...I think it's fair to assume that progress has been made in those 60 years...

This exactly.

But I think he just wanted to humble brag that he has a SCAR-20S and a Tiger, so I’ll let it slide
Archetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #10
Mr. Stizout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
This exactly.

But I think he just wanted to humble brag that he has a SCAR-20S and a Tiger, so Iíll let it slide
I no longer have a Tiger. I sold it and the PSL after shooting the 20S.
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves?... Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
ó Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
WTB 1P87 Red Dot
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #11
Thunderhorse
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172770

They are a nice rifle, and they don't really have a lot of competition other than the SR-25 and some other AR-10s.

I am waiting for KRG to release the Fox-42-originally the Magpul Massoud. It should be close in price if not a little cheaper, and you'll be able to order it with your choice of barrel
Thunderhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
genxgixxer
Team Chesty Puller

AKaholic #: 179329

I built my Ar10 to compete with the SCAR, and I built it for less than half the cost, and its lighter, and easily as accurate or more so. So it doesn't have a side charging handle (wasnt a requirement anyways), and I was able to customize it much more than the SCAR. Not saying the SCAR isnt cool, it is and thats why alot want one, but for the money you can build a DMR sniper whatever from barrel to trigger that does everything the SCAR does and in some ways much better.

Chinaflu is a hoax. Mortality rates in line with the flu. All an attempt to destroy the economy to hurt Trump. FUCK CHINA/MSM/Democrats
genxgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
burninglegs
Where We Go One We Go All

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
I built my Ar10 to compete with the SCAR, and I built it for less than half the cost, and its lighter, and easily as accurate or more so. So it doesn't have a side charging handle (wasnt a requirement anyways), and I was able to customize it much more than the SCAR. Not saying the SCAR isnt cool, it is and thats why alot want one, but for the money you can build a DMR sniper whatever from barrel to trigger that does everything the SCAR does and in some ways much better.

Now do it for a military proven .308 DMR.

LMT MARS-H
KAC SR-25
H&K 762
LaRue OBR

Can't compare a consumer grade rifle to one coming off a military production line.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
kukusya

AKaholic #: 183639

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
I build Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 for twice less of the cost of performance German cars. That make those germans eat dirt on 1/2 mile run. It was doing what it made for. But on racetrack my car suck, it wasnít a way to outperform new German engineering vs 199x wanna be a sports car. And not even talking about comfort, luxury etc.
Point of all that: Yes you can build cheaper and maybe better. But is it really worth it to be in wanna be crowd. Or better be in same niche and without trying to justify that what you have is better.
kukusya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

At least FN put a real trigger in the 20S.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #16
Thunderhorse
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukusya View Post
I build Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 for twice less of the cost of performance German cars. That make those germans eat dirt on 1/2 mile run. It was doing what it made for. But on racetrack my car suck, it wasnít a way to outperform new German engineering vs 199x wanna be a sports car. And not even talking about comfort, luxury etc.
Point of all that: Yes you can build cheaper and maybe better. But is it really worth it to be in wanna be crowd. Or better be in same niche and without trying to justify that what you have is better.
But how many of them have 4 wheel steering?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #17
kukusya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
But how many of them have 4 wheel steering?
Itís was just a cool factor and nothing more. I believe gen6 bmw M5 has one.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #18
catinthefurnace

AKaholic #: 198110

Quote:
Itís was just a cool factor and nothing more. I believe gen6 bmw M5 has one.
Available on the 911 GTS, and GT3 I believe too
catinthefurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #19
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
I love my SCAR 20S

I can honestly see that, as I've long has the same perception of cost VS performance.
Once the cost exceeds its performance as a tool, It doesn't serve the value to me as a shooter.

Collector arena is different, but never considered myself a collector.
SCAR20S is ~$3999 right now @ Palmetto State Armory, I'd love 6.5 Creedmoor
https://palmettostatearmory.com/fn-r...-20-38996.html

I would sell 3 AK's to fund one in a heartbeat, I'm just lazy......lol
Have you ever shot the SCAR20S against the SCAR17 to give an opinion???

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #20
kukusya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Ugh!!! Why you post that
Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #21
Mr. Stizout

Quote:
I can honestly see that, as I've long has the same perception of cost VS performance.
Once the cost exceeds its performance as a tool, It doesn't serve the value to me as a shooter.

Collector arena is different, but never considered myself a collector.

I would sell 3 AK's to fund one in a heartbeat, I'm just lazy......lol
Have you ever shot the SCAR20S against the SCAR17 to give an opinion???
I have noted the following differences between my 17S and my 20S.
  • 20S is more accurate.
  • 20S seems to run nicer with a suppressor compared to the 17S.
  • 20S strings less on rapid shots due to the increased barrel thickness and stability.
ó Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
WTB 1P87 Red Dot
Old 05-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #22
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Ugh!!! Why you post that

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #23
Jabes0623
UNDOCUMENTED

AKaholic #: 173872

Quote:
I would sell 3 AK's to fund one in a heartbeat...
And this is where I’m currently at with my AK collection. Particularly the 74’s. I love my AK’s, but I bought them because at the time they were the most economical, well supported in terms of mags/ammo & widely available option. And they serve their purpose fantastically well.

But now that the market has changed & my AK’s are worth 2/3/4 times what I paid for them & I can sell them, upgrade to the most modern weapons & still have money left over; Thats a no brainer for me.

I recently acquired a 20s doing just that & I couldn’t be happier with my decision.
Jabes0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #24
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes0623 View Post
And this is where I’m currently at with my AK collection. Particularly the 74’s. I love my AK’s, but I bought them because at the time they were the most economical, well supported in terms of mags/ammo & widely available option. And they serve their purpose fantastically well.

But now that the market has changed & my AK’s are worth 2/3/4 times what I paid for them & I can sell them, upgrade to the most modern weapons & still have money left over; Thats a no brainer for me.

I recently acquired a 20s doing just that & I couldn’t be happier with my decision.
We think in parallel here.

The way I see it, the "once cheap" AK can advance you to the top level of modern weapon systems, then its a no brainer tradeoff. Lets see some pics of those SCAR 20s

I will probably grab one

Quote:

Last edited by Aceshigh; 05-23-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #25
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920

Quote:
I love my SCAR 20S .

Out of the 3 the Tiger was the most fun to shoot. It’s the only one of the 3 I regret selling.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #26
Mr. Stizout

Here is my SCAR 20S:

ó Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
WTB 1P87 Red Dot
Old 05-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #27
Jabes0623
UNDOCUMENTED

Mine is still naked. Only had it for about a week now. Working my way through optic choices now, it’s pretty much down to Leupold now just weighing out reticles, generations & price of course. Eventually it’ll get a can, got a Sandman S that will hopefully be getting out of NFA jail in the next 2/3 months.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #28
burninglegs
Where We Go One We Go All

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:

Quote:
Mine is still naked. Only had it for about a week now. Working my way through optic choices now, it’s pretty much down to Leupold now just weighing out reticles, generations & price of course. Eventually it’ll get a can, got a Sandman S that will hopefully be getting out of NFA jail in the next 2/3 months.

Beautiful rifle. Look forward to hearing your review of it once you get it all setup. Maybe see if you end up deciding you want to add one of the other SCARs to your collection as well.

I will say that I did the same you are doing/thinking about doing. The prices that combloc AK47s/74s, Nagants and other guns I had were going for made it a no-brainer for me. I had no sentimental value in those guns other than they were cheap when I bought them, they worked well, never gave me issues, and served me well. But once the $$$ was there to take as a profit and upgrade to nicer things, it was the easy decision. Nothing wrong with those older gun designs, but it is nice to appreciate what modern technology and manufacturing can provide.

That isn't for everyone. Plenty of guys like their old historic guns. But that isn't for everyone either. A gun is just a tool that is used for various things. I like to have the best tool I can for certain jobs.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #29
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

You sonsa b*tches

I'm jealous. Those are some badass rifles. Hey dumb question but......
Can you change the grip out for any AR style grip....or is it FN proprietary ??

Quote:
Old 05-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #30
catinthefurnace

AKaholic #: 198110

Quote:
You sonsa b*tches

Not sure if all work, but most do at the very least.
catinthefurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #31
Snowblind

AKaholic #: 186958

Quote:
You sonsa b*tches

Some grips will need to be modified to fit.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #32
TheChunkNorris

AKaholic #: 203246

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthefurnace View Post
Available on the 911 GTS, and GT3 I believe too
Some of the non GT 991's have them... pretty sure the Panamera has that feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Now do it for a military proven .308 DMR.

LMT MARS-H
KAC SR-25
H&K 762
LaRue OBR

Can't compare a consumer grade rifle to one coming off a military production line.
Bingo. I don't care for the 17 as much but do like the 20S... I've seen some of the 6.5 variants while working for the teams and they love them.
TheChunkNorris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #33
Jabes0623
UNDOCUMENTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Beautiful rifle. Look forward to hearing your review of it once you get it all setup. Maybe see if you end up deciding you want to add one of the other SCARs to your collection as well.

I will say that I did the same you are doing/thinking about doing. The prices that combloc AK47s/74s, Nagants and other guns I had were going for made it a no-brainer for me. I had no sentimental value in those guns other than they were cheap when I bought them, they worked well, never gave me issues, and served me well. But once the $$$ was there to take as a profit and upgrade to nicer things, it was the easy decision. Nothing wrong with those older gun designs, but it is nice to appreciate what modern technology and manufacturing can provide.

That isn't for everyone. Plenty of guys like their old historic guns. But that isn't for everyone either. A gun is just a tool that is used for various things. I like to have the best tool I can for certain jobs.
I have a couple 17s, both black, Iím definitely a fan. But I can already tell the 20S is going to be my favorite of the bunch. Even without an optic I absolutely love the stock. The added weight is noticeable but not in a bad way & of course this isnít a pack it around all day rifle, Iíve got 11.5Ē ARís for that. Thereís no doubt itís going to be capable of much more than I am in regards to accuracy.

My only very minor regret is that I didnít get it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. But since Iím already committed to .308, & the nature of the terrain in my area doesnít lend itself to even 600/700 yard shots very often, the .308 made the most sense.

As far as the AK side of your statement I agree 100%. The dudes getting my AKís seem very happy with them & Iím glad for that. But as I stated earlier, the prices theyíre commanding these days made my decision a very simple one. Iíll always keep a few AK47ís around, because they were gifts & have sentimental value to me, but theyíre definitely no longer the center of my firearms collection. Things change.

Aces, no not every AR PG will work. I tried an FDE hogue with beaver tail & couldnít get even close to a flush fit. The standard fits fine. Hogue is my go to grip so I donít have any others to try.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #34
Jabes0623
UNDOCUMENTED

Her glass came in today. Leupold Mark5HD 5-25 w/ FF Impact 60 MOA reticle. One sick piece of glass...

9-AF9035-B-6-C97-447-D-95-AF-A558-FD736850

Now for the 30~ish day wait for the Bobro mount.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #35
Thunderhorse
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Her glass came in today. Leupold Mark5HD 5-25 w/ FF Impact 60 MOA reticle. One sick piece of glass...

9-AF9035-B-6-C97-447-D-95-AF-A558-FD736850

Now for the 30~ish day wait for the Bobro mount.
LMAO I was about to ask what mount that is before I realized it was on your Jeep hood.

Nice glass, and good choice on the mount too