Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
Coldfilter

AKaholic #: 184825
Default Drop in trigger

Is it worth replacing a mil spec and trigger with a drop in like the Timney Impact Trigger Group? Or should I stick with the tried and true mil spec?
Coldfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Coldfilter

Rifle is used for defensive purpose
Old 05-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
specz79
Old Crow
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

It’s your money, if the rifle goes bang with mil spec why worry about an expensive drop in for a defensive weapon? My 2c

They knew if they went too far we would fly into their heart and burn them into oblivion. Not by turning keys beneath the Prairies or Seas, but by slugging our way in and taking them to hell with our bare hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheenix11 View Post
45ACP is true to its philosophy. You want to sling ashtrays at someone and destroy their soul while simultaneously giving your grandpa a boner, come right this way
specz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
smithy72
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Larue MBT is what you need.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Coldfilter

I've always ran stock triggers. I never thought of a drop in 3lb single stage until last afternoon when I shot my brothers bcm with a Timney In it. I liked it but I don't know if the reliability is there
Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Coldfilter

If the reliability is there, then yes
Old 05-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
uofaengr
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185992

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy72 View Post
I've converted two rifles over to MBT 2-stages (I wouldn't bother with the single stage based on reviews), and think I'm about to order a 3rd. Never used a drop-in so can't speak on the reliability, but nothing to worry about IMO with the Larue if you don't mind a 2-stage..

Edit: Ordered a 3rd

Last edited by uofaengr; 05-22-2020 at 04:57 PM.
uofaengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Henry Stevens
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 195633

The first thing I did after buying my AR four years ago was to replace that shitty trigger. I got an ALG-ACT trigger and it was a big improvement. Then, I went crazy and got a binary trigger and tried to make that work for three months. Finally, I got a Rise RA 140 trigger. What a difference. Light, 3.5 pounds, short, quick reset, this is all the trigger I will ever need and at $140.00 with all the anti-walk hardware. The Rise RA 140 is a drop in trigger which is soooo simply even I can do it. I never had a trigger reliability problem from the Rise but plenty from the binary.

But there are apparently lots of these out there. Each trigger company makes something like this and I know Timney does OP, so you can pick your favorite brand.
Henry Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy72 View Post
This is the BEST bang for the buck bar none!
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #10
Travish

AKaholic #: 196166

^^ yes it is ^^
Travish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
hinkak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 184602

OP, there is nothing more 'reliable' about a mil-spec trigger vs a Larue etc. I replaced the trigger on my precision ar10 with the larue mbt-2s (2 stage) and its night/day. I ordered up a couple more but they didn't have a single stage in stock 2 weeks ago.

There are better triggers out there like a Geiselle? spelling but many regard Larue as the best bang for you buck.
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
Trvrswsr1234
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193880

OP the aftermarket triggers out there are every bit as reliable as a mil spec (there could be some outliers sure)

I have a larue MBT in all my ARs there like $90 it’s a no brainer for me at this point
Old 05-23-2020, 01:42 AM   #13
Coldfilter

Well I liked the timney in my brothers rifle so I ordered one. Thanks for the input
Old 05-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Get a LaRue MBT-2S straight bow and never look back. Thank me later.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
jonjon
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176916

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP123 View Post
Get a LaRue MBT-2S straight bow and never look back. Thank me later.
This ^

Your trigger is your primary control point on the weapon. So....yes...very worthwhile.
jonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #16
js8588

AKaholic #: 176831

If you want a 2-Stage, LaRue MBT2S. Single stage, go with Velocity.
js8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

AKaholic #: 165711

For me, there are things that are always done shortly after the purchase of certain firearms.

With every Glock I buy, I install Trijicon HD sights.

For my ARs, every one of them get a Wilson Combat TTU. Mil-spec triggers work, but a quality drop in trigger is soooo much nicer. I'm entirely satisfied with the WC triggers and trust them completely.
ARMT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by specz79 View Post
It’s your money, if the rifle goes bang with mil spec why worry about an expensive drop in for a defensive weapon? My 2c
+1
Mil-spec triggers work for defensive & offensive purposes in the worlds foremost military & LE powers.

Unless of course you're building a competition range shooter, then a trigger upgrade can make sense.
I am also a Larue MBT fan, but it's not a necessity for a defensive rifle at all.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #19
js8588

AKaholic #: 176831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMT Guy View Post
For me, there are things that are always done shortly after the purchase of certain firearms.

With every Glock I buy, I install Trijicon HD sights.

For my ARs, every one of them get a Wilson Combat TTU. Mil-spec triggers work, but a quality drop in trigger is soooo much nicer. I'm entirely satisfied with the WC triggers and trust them completely.
Seeing as I just ordered one of these to try out (the TTU M2 2-Stage to be precise) I'm really happy to read this.

I'm building a RECCE around a Lothar Walther stainless/nitrided barrel and I wanted a 2 stage that was a little nicer than the MBT2S but also a bit more heavy duty than my beloved Triggertechs. Seems like I chose well.
js8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #20
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
+1
Mil-spec triggers work for defensive & offensive purposes in the worlds foremost military & LE powers.
No one is denying that they "work".

I'd rather drive to work every day in a McLaren than I would a Geo Metro. Both get the job done. One just really, really, really, really sucks when compared to the other. More awesome would be if the McLaren only cost 50%-ish more than the Geo. Well, such is the case when comparing a shitty mil-spec FCG to a LaRue.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #21
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
No one is denying that they "work".

I'd rather drive to work every day in a McLaren than I would a Geo Metro. Both get the job done. One just really, really, really, really sucks when compared to the other. More awesome would be if the McLaren only cost 50%-ish more than the Geo. Well, such is the case when comparing a shitty mil-spec FCG to a LaRue.
Agreed, I replaced all my mil spec triggers with the Larue 2 stage. Tradition curved or flat bow are both winners in my book.
MOTOROLANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #22
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 102797

I just stick with the Stoner designed trigger . I might polish it a little bit . But , most times I don't . I've studied too many after-market AR-15 triggers and I believe they are just not worth the price . Although many on here will argue this issue into eternity .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #23
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
I've studied too many after-market AR-15 triggers...
Studied? Do share...

Old 05-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #24
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfilter View Post
Is it worth replacing a mil spec and trigger with a drop in like the Timney Impact Trigger Group? Or should I stick with the tried and true mil spec?
Yes.

Most factory AR triggers are the cheapest shit that can be acquired (milspec) and the trigger pulls they have are not good.

From what I understand (and the lack of stoning jigs bears it out) nearly all milspec AR triggers are surface hardened only and cannot be polished, recut or stoned to improve the trigger. Doing so removes the surface hardening and the trigger then wears out rapidly.

Higher grade ARs do not come with milspec triggers.

Just go look at Brownell's and see for yourself if people think the milspec trigger is worth replacing.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...AR-15&psize=96
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #25
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Studied? Do share...
They got set screws in some of them , some need trigger pin retainers , shit like that . So I just stick to what the gun was designed for . Usually pulling the stock trigger a few hundred times smooths it out quite a bit . A lot of OCD people out there . I'm just sayin what I do . I ain't tryin to start nothin . Spend as money as ya want to . I don't care . There's a reason Stoner designed his trigger the way he did .
Old 05-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #26
Coldfilter

I wonder how a true Kalashnikov trigger feels
Old 05-24-2020, 01:39 AM   #27
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfilter View Post
I wonder how a true Kalashnikov trigger feels
Way better than USA made 922r triggers, that's for sure.
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #28
Dragonscout

AKaholic #: 191967

OP, mil-spec means nothing more than the bean counters specified how much a part had to cost, how long it had to typically last and was (in the American case) designed for a modicum of field maintenance. My privately owned military surplus weapons have had the originally designed fire controls in them. By the time I got them, most of them were fairly smoothed out. The SKS's all had gritty triggers, but polished out. The Lee-Enfield is smooth as glass, as is the action, same with the P17. The 1919 Cossack Mosin is the most horrendous 13 lb trigger ever seen. My Mossberg MMR trigger was just replaced with the Rise Armament RA-140 and WOW! Not light enough for every ambulance chasing schuyster lawyer to start warming up his final arguments, but good enough for responsible defensive use and hunting/competitive use. And take a real minute to think about the liability aspect of replacing fire-control parts. It cost me $1000 to defend myself in my own driveway from an attacking pit-bull. Only the grace of God and a really good trigger in my defensive pistol kept me from shooting the two guys running out of the dark to get the dog dying at my feet. The posters here have given some good recommendations, even my 2 cents. But, a lot of practice time with whatever system you go with can mean all the difference...
Dragonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #29
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Eugene Stoner designing his trigger had nothing to do with " bean counters " .
Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #30
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

OP
A GOOD drop in with more predictable break and a lighter pull will help you shoot more accurately when you not stopping bad guys which is 99.99% of the time.

There are good non drop in enhanced triggers also . PSA sell a OK one.

The trigger pin holes are not exactly the same on every receiver so non drops in have to account for the variances with a bit more pre travel.
Many cheap standard triggers have a lot of creep grit ot sticky spots . One of mine on a factory DPMS it will litteraly stick and stay right before the breaking point.
Obviously it can be improved.

There are cheap drop in triggers now . Some under $100.
I bought a cheap 2.5 pound drop in from Delta Team Tatical . It was great af first now I'm getting doubles or bump fires . It's going to come out .
It was for a target rig. I have two if them.

IMO 2.5 single stage is to light for a carry around rifle.
For a basic AR I'd go 3.5 and two stage if I was packing it anywere loaded .

With my basic AR I cut my groips f.c.c own a lot with a better trigger . Would it help me kn a defense situation ??
Who knows . I enjoy hitting what I am at the other 99.999% of the time when I'm not shooting bad guys .

I have one of the plated enhanced PSA standard type triggers in a AR10 . It's a vast improvement every any of the factory out of the box AR triggers I have shot. That includes , colt, DPMS, Rock River, Olympic, and PSA .
Imo deffinatly worth the extra $25 or $30 over stock.
I'll likely stick one in DPMS Orical I just picked up.
Unless I just polish up the one in it .
I'm not sticking a $150 to $300 trigger in a $350 rifle .

BTW I hear that new inexpensive Timey is pretty good .
I dry fired a buddies. Hes been shooting it and is very happy .
1biggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #31
Dragonscout

AKaholic #: 191967

Relax Virgil, I merely was stating an oversimplification of "mil-spec". i have no aspersions to cast on Eugene or anyone else that can design a successful weapon system. And there, yes bean-counters, unfortunately drove the processes that often spell misfortune or worse for what could be good systems or programs. Case-in-point, after Stoner's design success and the Army's contract award (regardless which side of THAT fence you stand on) the gods of Murphy showed up and allowed the powder formulation for the ammunition to change without notice which caused unexplained stoppages, malfunctions, deaths and issues in Vietnam. Stoner was wrongfully blamed for that, for the Army's IDIOTIC decision NOT to send either the manuals or necessary cleaning kits into the logistics systems that would have turned all that around in a new york minute. And the change in powder wasn't even looked at for a loooong time. But said all that to merely say that the Defense procurement system relies too heavily on bean-counters that usually screw the pooch...
Dragonscout is offline   Reply With Quote