Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > 2nd Amendment: News, Events, RKBA and Legal

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #36
Rusty Shackleford

AKaholic #: 160804

Wow, just wow. You guys are a bastion of sensitivity. You’re right knitting is a relaxing activity. However I prefer bird watching.
Will ship him some magazine repair kits.

Have a great day,
Rusty
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #37
conus00

AKaholic #: 191081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Wow, just wow. You guys are a bastion of sensitivity. Youíre right knitting is a relaxing activity. However I prefer bird watching.
Will ship him some magazine repair kits.

Have a great day,
Rusty
That's funny. You accuse guys of being sensitive while acting like the biggest snowflake because you don't like what you hear. Why ask in first place?

The answer is simple: as a resident of Washington you are in no way obligated to follow up fucked up laws of Maryland UNTIL you cross their State line.

I think bird watching is a good idea...
conus00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #38
miles1919

AKaholic #: 186222

This has been asked so many times and it gets old.
miles1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #39
Pogue Mahone

AKaholic #: 203742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpk74 View Post
Here is your answer, pussy.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
/ end of thread

I'd like to see the State Of Maryland send someone down here and threaten me for violating exactly zero SC and federal laws.

The sticky wicket here is what can happen to you if you get caught in MD with a 30rd magazine in your car or a concealed handgun with a CWP from your state.
Pogue Mahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #40
Thruxton-Texas
Becoming a stranger in my own land

AKaholic #: 174649

Quote:
Okay ��, so if the guy has an FFL than I can ship him stuff like standard capacity magazines and itís legal, correct?
Quote:
So the law is saying that I can sell him the magazines, but not ship them to the state of Maryland?
I need a lawyer.
It doesn't matter that the buyer holds an FFL; the only items that he's required to log in/out in his "bound record book" are firearms. If he knows what you're sending to him, and he's not worried about any legal issues on his end; why should you? You do not need a lawyer; you need to do your own research if you don't like the answers that you're getting here in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquar View Post
The one handed magazines can ship media rate, which might be cheaper than flat rate. Also, make sure they are dry, you can't ship liquids unless they are in a closed container.
I figured that this half-assed attempt at levity would generate at least one comment. FWIW, a Flat-Rate box beats hell out of a "plain brown wrapper" every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles1919 View Post
This has been asked so many times and it gets old.
About every 3 months, like fucking clockwork, this magazine shipping topic arrises from the dead like a zombie from some cheesy movie. It never fails! Advise, both good and bad is offered, insults/heated arguments fly rampant, and in the end, the OP (whoever he is at the time) either ships the damn things, or he doesn't. ...........James.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #41
Marcus
Banned

AKaholic #: 165682

Quote:
Um ��, okay so what youíre saying is that it is legal since I donít live in that state, correct?
Itís not a manner of manning up. Itís just that Iím a married father of two children �� so I have much more to loose than a 55 year old virgin that still lives with mommy.
Thanks ��,

Rusty

Nails is full of shit.

Don't listen to anything he says.

We have been over this many, many, many, many times.

He is utterly incapable of understanding simple legal concepts like "extra-territorial jurisdiction" and "long arm statutes", although I have explained them many, many, many , many times.

Nails brags about having a "Second Grade Social Studies" education.

I'm a lawyer who went through law school and the police academy.

My legal education wins.

You absolutely can get charged with a felony in another state, arrested in your state, and be dragged in irons to another state to stand trial for violating that states laws.

End of discussion.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #42
Marcus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

Oh, and who gives a shit their legal status in another state? You (all the fuck away across the country) aren't bound by that state's laws.

Close the schools! They ain't teaching anything any more . . .
Bullshit.

The only one here who didn't learn nuthin in school is you.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #43
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Nails is full of shit.

Don't listen to anything he says.

We have been over this many, many, many, many times.

He is utterly incapable of understanding simple legal concepts like "extra-territorial jurisdiction" and "long arm statutes", although I have explained them many, many, many , many times.

Nails brags about having a "Second Grade Social Studies" education.

I'm a lawyer who went through law school and the police academy.

My legal education wins.

You absolutely can get charged with a felony in another state, arrested in your state, and be dragged in irons to another state to stand trial for violating that states laws.

End of discussion.
Show us the legal code.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #44
Marcus
Banned

Quote:
BULL and SHIT

I think you'd better look at your laws again.

The key words are "import" and "intrastate transfer".

Maryland state law has zero effect on those who live in other states.

Bull and shit.

You are a legal illiterate and don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #45
Marcus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conus00 View Post
Just to play devil's advocate here: legality of state's laws aside I always thought that the laws only apply to the STATE RESIDENTS? How, the hell, can MD laws apply on somebody with WA state ID who ships from Washington? I call bullshit on this one, especially that the person didn't cross MD state line.
We've discussed it here numerous times and I've cited relevant statutes and case law.

It's called "extra-territorial jurisdiction", and states grant themselves that power through their own laws in the form of a "long arm statute".
Old 05-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #46
Marcus
Banned

Quote:
Show us the legal code.

I've done it here many, many, many, many times when this subject has come up.

You are simply unable to understand plain English, much less read or comprehend legal code.

I'm not going to waste my time again.

People are free to believe me or to believe you.

Anybody that believes you is stupid.

End of discussion.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #47
Marcus
Banned

Quote:
Wow, Iím confused now. Thanks guys for the 411. Donít want to break laws or go to prison. My kids need their daddy around.

Thanks,
Rusty

I don't live in Maryland or know Maryland law . If I were considering sending something potentially illegal to Maryland and thus committing state and federal felonies, I would sure look up that law in advance.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #48
nalioth

Extra-territorial jurisdiction:
Quote:
Any authority can claim ETJ over any external territory they wish. However, for the claim to be effective in the external territory, it must be agreed either with the legal authority in the external territory, or with a legal authority that covers both territories.
Were this applicable to interstate criminal cases (it does not), Maryland does not possess legal authority over any other area but Maryland.

ETJ is where countries exert judicial influence in other countries.

"Long arm statutes"
Quote:
Typically a long-arm statute will grant a court jurisdiction over a non-resident if the resident has minimum contact within the court's jurisdiction.

In International Shoe Co. v. Washington, 326 U.S. 310 (1945), the Supreme Court held that for a defendant to have minimum contacts, the defendant needs some combination of the two following factors:

- systematic and continuous activity within the forum jurisdiction
- a cause of action arising from that activity Source
Scaring the sheep just to scare the sheep? Enjoy your time off.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #49
Danielsand
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 198057

That dude "Marcus" is neither a lawyer, nor L.E.
In another words, a troll full of shit, and then some. A lib on the mission perhaps?
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:33 PM   #50
conus00

Marcus, you are full of shit on the ETJ:

18 U.S. Code ß 3042.Extraterritorial jurisdiction
U.S. Code
Section 3041 of this title shall apply in any country where the United States exercises extraterritorial jurisdiction for the arrest and removal therefrom to the United States of any citizen or national of the United States who is a fugitive from justice charged with or convicted of the commission of any offense against the United States, and shall also apply throughout the United States for the arrest and removal therefrom to the jurisdiction of any officer or representative of the United States vested with judicial authority in any country in which the United States exercises extraterritorial jurisdiction, of any citizen or national of the United States who is a fugitive from justice charged with or convicted of the commission of any offense against the United States in any country where it exercises extraterritorial jurisdiction.

Such fugitive first mentioned may, by any officer or representative of the United States vested with judicial authority in any country in which the United States exercises extraterritorial jurisdiction and agreeably to the usual mode of process against offenders subject to such jurisdiction, be arrested and detained or conditionally released pursuant to section 3142 of this title, as the case may be, pending the issuance of a warrant for his removal, which warrant the principal officer or representative of the United States vested with judicial authority in the country where the fugitive shall be found shall seasonably issue, and the United States marshal or corresponding officer shall execute.

Such marshal or other officer, or the deputies of such marshal or officer, when engaged in executing such warrant without the jurisdiction of the court to which they are attached, shall have all the powers of a marshal of the United States so far as such powers are requisite for the prisoner’s safekeeping and the execution of the warrant.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 815; Pub. L. 98–473, title II, ß 204(b), Oct. 12, 1984, 98 Stat. 1985.)

Only applies to crime committed between COUNTRIES (extradiction of US citizen to a foreign country to face criminal charges) not between States within the USA.

The Long Arm Statue is another bullshit albeit to a lesser extent. I cannot provide the U.S. Code because it is State level law not Federal.

"States cannot grant themselves unlimited power over out of state defendants. According to the Supreme Court, the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment establishes the outer limit of the reach of long arm statutes. For a state to assert long arm personal jurisdiction, the defendant must have sufficient minimum contacts with the forum state such that personal jurisdiction would be fair to the out of state defendant."

Meaning "shipping something into that State" does not EQUAL "sufficient minimum contacts with the forum state".

You are LEO and a lawyer? Oh wow, you'd be the absolutely last on my "to call" list if I needed any legal advice.
That being said it would be a tough call if to ship or not. Reason being that I have ZERO FUCKING faith in the fairness of the US judicial system, it is being twisted and abused on daily basis and some innocents probably suffer actions of "lawyers" as yourself as I type this response.

I would say that I disagree with maybe 80% of nalioths posts but on this one he is 100% right.

Last edited by conus00; 05-20-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #51
SWOHFAL
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 10999

Hurt the mod's feelings and get banned....
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #52
conus00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
I'm curious why he did... He might have been full of shit but, hey, it's free country. He is/was entitled to his opinion. I wonder if there was anything said outside of this thread...?
Old 05-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #53
Thruxton-Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conus00 View Post
I'm curious why he did... He might have been full of shit but, hey, it's free country. He is/was entitled to his opinion. I wonder if there was anything said outside of this thread...?
A little background to put things in perspective:

Marcus posts a metric ton of bullshit on a regular basis; and to keep from being called on it, deletes his posts a short time later. He also posts stories/statements of an extreme sexual nature; often far out of context with the topic of the thread. And every time this magazine shipping topic shows up, he lies about his qualifications to justify his spreading gross disinformation. In short, the SOB is not playing with a full deck. If it were up to me, he'd have been permanently banned long ago under Rule 8, as a "poor fit". .....James.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #54
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Within the US you are fine if you live in a free state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #55
conus00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas View Post

Marcus posts a metric ton of bullshit on a regular basis; and to keep from being called on it, deletes his posts a short time later. He also posts stories/statements of an extreme sexual nature; often far out of context with the topic of the thread. And every time this magazine shipping topic shows up, he lies about his qualifications to justify his spreading gross disinformation. In short, the SOB is not playing with a full deck. If it were up to me, he'd have been permanently banned long ago under Rule 8, as a "poor fit". .....James.
Thanks for clarification. He was clearly full of shit on the ETJ.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #56
69Rebel
Building Helicopters for Mi General

AKaholic #: 179450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas View Post

But he sounds so convincing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweersa View Post
Within the US you are fine if you live in a free state.
Well, a state that is slightly less un-free than many others.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #57
56type
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 15047

OP, here's the response you should have if contacted by out of state agency ever.....

56type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #58
Floivanus

AKaholic #: 191191

Wait, so we can ship magazines across state lines with no worry? Man I’ve been making people go to gun stores and get a 4473 done, and if they refuse I just make sure they park on one side of the state line and me on the other and we play a game of magazine catch. Guess I don’t need to keep my throwing arm in shape anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rebel View Post
Reminds me of this guy at a local(ish) gunshow with Molon Labe tattooed on his arm. I pick up a pistol he has on his table and ask "how much?" I like his price, so I reach for my wallet. He's like "we have to go to my FFL and do the transfer". Me: "So, you have something tattooed on your arm for all to see and you don't even mean it?" I suggested that maybe he should see a tattoo removal specialist.
Local forum I visit, many of the guys on there are “muh can’t be infringed” “muh constitutional carry” yelling at the top of their lungs for freedom. If they decide to sell one of their guns the ad typically states “must see state drivers license and state carry license” I’m constantly calling them out for that hypocritical BS; the only response I get from them is “I have to cover my backside or I’ll be in trouble” yeah, no.
Floivanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #59
SpringerXD
One of our finest posters!

AKaholic #: 188218

The stupidity of these gun laws knows no bounds. It amazes me that legal gun owners are made to jump through such insane hoops, and of course, "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

This is almost as bad as the patchwork maze of laws that come into play when trying to travel cross-country while carrying.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #60
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
The stupidity of these gun laws knows no bounds. It amazes me that legal gun owners are made to jump through such insane hoops, and of course, "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

This is almost as bad as the patchwork maze of laws that come into play when trying to travel cross-country while carrying.
What gun laws?

The OP is not bound by any of the laws he's worried so much about.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #61
lagavulin62
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174845

Strangest thread I've read in a long time. I love it when people ask a question but have their mind made up what they want the answer to be. Weirdo.
lagavulin62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #62
Mr Nobody
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 180863

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin62 View Post
Strangest thread I've read in a long time. I love it when people ask a question but have their mind made up what they want the answer to be. Weirdo.
I love these threads
Itís aways interesting watching surrender monkys out themselves.
Mr Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #63
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

SEND THE DAMN MAGS.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #64
Thruxton-Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post

The problem with some folks is that they actively look for hoops to jump through; and often finding none, make them up out of thin air and imagination.

This is the result of a form of brainwashing put out by the Leftist anti-gun/anti-freedom faction, that would have us believe that if an activity is not expressly permitted, it is prohibited. In a free nation, any activity that is not expressly prohibited, is permitted. The damnedest part of this is that such disinformation is most commonly spread by our peers right here on dedicated gun forums. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

With the advent of the Internet, it's easy to find out which laws govern which activities. Ignorance is no excuse; all the laws of all the jurisdictions are available to read for yourself. Marcus refused to back-up his bold statements with a basic link; this is a pattern with him.

Using some basic common sense is also helpful. As a Texas resident, any new (to me) firearms that I acquire are bought as private sales; this still legal. I don't require any to go through an FFL; and pass up on any sellers who demand that they do. The intrusive #4473 "Yellow Form" is just another "hoop" that I can do without these days. However, as a CYA measure, I do demand that the buyer (not the seller) produce a Texas state ID that shows that he's a resident, and in one rare case, that he was of legal age. I don't write anything down; the only "paperwork" involves pictures of dead presidents. ......James.

Last edited by Thruxton-Texas; 05-23-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Thruxton-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #65
SAVAGE11
Amish Redneck

AKaholic #: 158321

Ship those standard capacity mags!!

((DB)) #69 BaconBalls
SAVAGE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #66
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGE11 View Post
Ship those standard capacity mags!!
There's no such thing.

Please quite playing antigunner word games.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #67
virgil cole
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 102797

If I had magazines ' for sale ' I would gladly mail them to someone in Maryland who wanted to buy them . I just don't have any mags for sale right now .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #68
Rpk74

AKaholic #: 194190

Quote:
There's no such thing.

Apparently even robots make spelling mistakes.
Rpk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 AM   #69
OH58D
Death from Above

AKaholic #: 160045

Quote:
There's no such thing.

You're right, but let's muddy the waters a little more and introduce something else to the mix:

Variable Capacity Magazines

Today I choose to load 2 rounds in the magazine; tomorrow I might load 17 rounds. On Monday I'll go crazy and load 29 rounds, only if my thumb isn't strong enough to push in 1 extra for 30 rounds.

This sort of language will befuddle the feeble mind of the anti-gunner, until they've researched it in depth and understand what's going on.
Raising Fine Cattle & Horses since 1879
Old 05-24-2020, 12:32 AM   #70
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
You're right, but let's muddy the waters a little more and introduce something else to the mix:

Variable Capacity Magazines

Today I choose to load 2 rounds in the magazine; tomorrow I might load 17 rounds. On Monday I'll go crazy and load 29 rounds, only if my thumb isn't strong enough to push in 1 extra for 30 rounds.

This sort of language will befuddle the feeble mind of the anti-gunner, until they've researched it in depth and understand what's going on.
It still affirms that "high capacity magazine" (a fictional phrase coined by antigunners) is valid.