Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
Waffleitis
New Member
 
Waffleitis's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 186077
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 23
Default SVT 40 Restoration Project.

I figured here would be a good place to document this. I was given an SVT 40 barreled receiver that a friend of mine found in the woods around Seattle. So far, it looks pretty bleak. It is horribly rusted and missing almost all the parts. Regardless if it will ever shoot again, or if it will be a cool wall piece, it gives me something to do during this quarantine. So far from what I can tell, it is a 1941 Izzy with Finnish capture marks. I plan to put it through electrolysis soon to get all of the corrosion off and see how bad it actually is. The surface rust is actually light enough to make out many of the markings with a light scrub and oil. I will keep this post updated for those who'd wish to follow along.

https://ibb.co/DYN8hVS
https://ibb.co/R7P6NfX
https://ibb.co/chzDnyG
https://ibb.co/HNtPnFs
https://ibb.co/MMPWTYT
https://ibb.co/cQCmzPj
https://ibb.co/R3c0Lsj
Waffleitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
SaintJames
Member
 
AKaholic #: 200747
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 140
Default

Man that looks cruddy but like you mentioned the marks look fairly crisp .

you should compile some time lapse photos on the electrolysis process !

If you have time .......................hahahahahahaha

half way typing that I realized where we are right now
SaintJames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
genxgixxer
Team Chesty Puller
 
genxgixxer's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179329
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: reno, nevada
Posts: 5,548
Default

Seattle? Weird, thought it would be found in Europe somewhere. Neat find. Get some bore pics
__________________
GOA
https://gunowners.org/join/

III% Sent from 52 Area
genxgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
jjjxlr8
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 157166
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA, Ohio
Posts: 683
Default

Hopefully it isn't a stolen rifle that someone ditched. Do you think it was in a fire before it was ditched in the woods?

Looks like a 1941 Izhevsk produced SVT40 that was re-issued to the Finnish Army. The import marks should be very tiny on the edge of the scope rail. Might not be anything visible remaining, though, with all that rust.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
genxgixxer
Team Chesty Puller
 
genxgixxer's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179329
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: reno, nevada
Posts: 5,548
Default

SA marked, pretty rare FINN so odd it was in the woods
__________________
GOA
https://gunowners.org/join/

III% Sent from 52 Area
genxgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #6
maxxmojo
Veteran Member
 
maxxmojo's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 154628
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Utah, US
Posts: 1,827
Default

Looks like it was actually lost in a boating accident. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdh
Whenever I read posts such as this, I am reminded of a conversation I had with a Romanian Army Officer after their bloody fight for independence.
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:13 AM   #7
Bandy
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 172801
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Two steps from hell, three steps from heaven
Posts: 4,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleitis View Post
I figured here would be a good place to document this. I was given an SVT 40 barreled receiver that a friend of mine found in the woods around Seattle. So far, it looks pretty bleak. It is horribly rusted and missing almost all the parts. Regardless if it will ever shoot again, or if it will be a cool wall piece, it gives me something to do during this quarantine. So far from what I can tell, it is a 1941 Izzy with Finnish capture marks. I plan to put it through electrolysis soon to get all of the corrosion off and see how bad it actually is. The surface rust is actually light enough to make out many of the markings with a light scrub and oil. I will keep this post updated for those who'd wish to follow along.

https://ibb.co/DYN8hVS
https://ibb.co/R7P6NfX
https://ibb.co/chzDnyG
https://ibb.co/HNtPnFs
https://ibb.co/MMPWTYT
https://ibb.co/cQCmzPj
https://ibb.co/R3c0Lsj
Only made it through two pics. Brought tears to my eyes.

OP greatest of luck and highest of hopes you can bring her back from the grave
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Memories of my first time in the basement are still a haze. All I remember is waking up on a sidewalk in downtown Cleveland wearing nothing but a speedo, a fake mustache and a Superman cape.
Bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Waffleitis
New Member
 
Waffleitis's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 186077
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
Hopefully it isn't a stolen rifle that someone ditched. Do you think it was in a fire before it was ditched in the woods?
That was my concern as well. Hopefully it wasn't stolen or used in a crime. More than likely it was unsecured in the back of a truck and fell out. It doesn't show any signs of bending or heat swelling, so I think it was just rained on a lot.
Waffleitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #9
Waffleitis
New Member
 
Waffleitis's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 186077
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 23
Default

I started the electrolysis today, after some trial and error. I originally thought one anode would be enough, but I realized the end ove the rifle closest to the anode was bubbling significantly more than the other. A quick run to the hardware store resolved that. I replaced the steel plate I had initially bought for steel spikes used to outline build sites or something along that line. They are working great.

I initially had almost none of the materials for this project, so I had to buy them all. So far I'm in it at about $90 fo the tub, anodes, NaC, and battery charger. I was also able to source a lot of the parts I will need, including the stock which are, by themselves, hard to get.

These are the pics I was able to snag before it got dark. I am letting it sit over night and will inspect the results tomorrow to determine if I need to leave her in longer. Idealy, I'd like to be able to get the gas cylinder, rear sight, bolt hold open, cleaning rod retainer, and take down latch moving again. We'll have to see in the morning.

https://ibb.co/K2tvQbc
https://ibb.co/QMzWF58
https://ibb.co/r7BzbJS
https://ibb.co/cC3Tv7t
https://ibb.co/m8CYkX7
Waffleitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
jjjxlr8
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 157166
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA, Ohio
Posts: 683
Default

Pretty neat!

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with this project? SVT40 parts are not cheap and I would imagine it would cost quite a bit more than buying a nice Finn capture to get all the missing pieces to put this one back together.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
Waffleitis
New Member
 
Waffleitis's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 186077
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
Pretty neat!

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with this project? SVT40 parts are not cheap and I would imagine it would cost quite a bit more than buying a nice Finn capture to get all the missing pieces to put this one back together.
Honestly just to see if I can do it! Best case scenario I have a cool shooter that has a personal story tied to it. You'd be surprised on the cost. After adding everything up, I am still well under buying a whole gun. I am looking at about $700-800 after cleaning, parts, and blueing.


I checked on the electrolysis today. Definitely looks much better. Much of the rust comes off by rubbing my hand on it. It still is going to need ALOT more time in the tub though. There is still a significant amount of rust and everything is still very siezed. I am thinking a day or two more. Hell, I might leave it in there a week and see what happens. Here the pics. This was before I scrubbed it down. Also forgot to take bore shots and post scrub pics. I guess I was too eager to get the electrolysis going again.

https://ibb.co/dfKVVph
https://ibb.co/LSYCTcN
https://ibb.co/SRRLycR
https://ibb.co/TBXjHJc
__________________
Будущий муж Елены Делигиоз.

There is a 5.45 master race, but there is a lesser known AK105 uber race.
Waffleitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
jjjxlr8
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 157166
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA, Ohio
Posts: 683
Default

I would not want to put my face next to that thing as a shooter! It very well could have been in a fire and may not be safe to shoot, even before all the material loss due to rust. Just not worth the risk in my book.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
Waffleitis
New Member
 
Waffleitis's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 186077
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
I would not want to put my face next to that thing as a shooter! It very well could have been in a fire and may not be safe to shoot, even before all the material loss due to rust. Just not worth the risk in my book.
You're right. After a closer inspection, the barrel is slightly bent. Probably from a fire. She will never shoot again. The project is no over though! She still has potential as a cool wall piece. I am thinking of framing her and putting enough parts on to make her look complete. So probably just the stock pieces, gas system covers, cleaning rod, dust cover, trigger group, and bolt carrier. I am thinking of framing her and putting some kind of poem about beauty in there. Pics will come soon.
__________________
Будущий муж Елены Делигиоз.

There is a 5.45 master race, but there is a lesser known AK105 uber race.
Waffleitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #14
jjjxlr8
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 157166
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA, Ohio
Posts: 683
Default

Could certainly make a great display piece! SVT40's have a great look.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #15
maxxmojo
Veteran Member
 
maxxmojo's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 154628
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Utah, US
Posts: 1,827
Default

I wonder if leaning up against a tree for 30 years would have put an eventual bend in the barrel.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdh
Whenever I read posts such as this, I am reminded of a conversation I had with a Romanian Army Officer after their bloody fight for independence.
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
kj056
New Member
 
AKaholic #: 201437
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 15
Default

Make a floor lamp out of it, useful and artful if done right
kj056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #17
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor
 
ThunderGod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 62
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 10,060
Default

Found a bolt, carrier and topcover on eBay that would go well with this project.

Here.
__________________
"Sounded as tho' there was a bit of a squabble." Blind Pew
"Squabble? They're all dead!" Mister Moon
"All? Must 'ave been more of a tiff, then." Blind Pew

Neither Bee, nor Borg.

Democrats: Violently opposing duly-elected Republican Presidents since 1861.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2019 The AK FIles