Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
rpblake

AKaholic #: 10204
Default Texas AK Trigger

Finally able to test the Texas AK trigger group I bought from Magnolia State Armory in my Arsenal SAM7R and it did not disappoint. As compared with the stock double-hook trigger from Arsenal (Bulgarian trigger and U.S.-made hammer and disconnector) it has a noticably shorter and smoother trigger pull. Before installing, I only applied a little grease to the contact surfaces and did not polish any surfaces. Considering that the Texas AK trigger felt smoother compared to the polished and broken in stock trigger, I can't wait to see how it performs when it's broken in.
I also love the grooved trigger face and the rough (parkerized?) finish which really gives a positive feel compared to the wider and polished trigger face of the Bulgarian trigger. Obviously, part of the "positive" feel comes from a longer disconnector spring so folks might improve the feel of their trigger with that change alone.
Just thought I would pass on my good experience since there aren't too many reviews on this trigger. Happy Holidays!
rpblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
David Sinko

AKaholic #: 155970

How is this trigger made? Is it cast, MIM or forged? Does it function as a "bolt hold open" like the Tapco G2? Doesn't anybody have anything good or bad to say about this trigger?

Dave Sinko
David Sinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Jaimenv
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9749

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sinko
How is this trigger made? Is it cast, MIM or forged? Does it function as a "bolt hold open" like the Tapco G2? Doesn't anybody have anything good or bad to say about this trigger?

Dave Sinko
Yea the G2 trigger group does have that side effect with some rifles.

Have no idea on that trigger group, never seen it at the local Funshows here in San Antonio TX.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sinko

Dave Sinko
All new FCGs function as a "bolt hold open" until they're broken in.

It isn't just limited to Tapco.

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
20nickels
Choke bot

AKaholic #: 155146

Welcome Dave, Some judicious polishing will fix that BHO.

Vendors. Would somebody please make a flippable rear replacement peep sight for krinks.
20nickels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20nickels
Too much "judiciality" will ruin it.

Taking it to the range and shooting it will fix it right up (the "bolt hold open feature" described only "works" when you're playing with it - not when you're shooting it).

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
N4KVE

AKaholic #: 5440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20nickels
It's not the fault of the trigger parts. To be importable or sold in the US, the safety sear[full auto sear to some] must be removed per ATF rules. While it is possible to keep this sear in the gun, & still be semi auto, the ATF won't allow this. The purpose of the sear is to prevent the gun from firing out of battery, but the design of the bolt carrier does this too. However, the safety sear pulled the hammer down further, to keep it out of the way of the bolt carrier. So on a full auto AK, the hammer, & carrier never touched. Same deal with a HK91, the hammer stays lower in a full auto pack. GARY N4KVE
N4KVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
David Sinko

AKaholic #: 155970

I already put 1500 rounds through this thing. How many more do I need before it's "broken in?"

A friend has an earlier Krebs gun that does not have this annoying bolt hold open feature. Krebs says "Those parts aren't made anymore." To me this means that the proper parts can be made but nobody wants to do it. Why? Too much hand fitting? Too much trouble?

I'm eyeballing an excellent older Polish underfolder kit that will be converted to fixed stock configuration. If I can find a fire control group that won't hold the bolt open, I'll take it. What about the Arsenal parts?

Dave Sinko
David Sinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Enraged Gecko
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156919

Any estimate as to the number of rounds required to eliminate the "bolt Hold-open" would be a guess. I've got an Arsenal SLR-101 (Preban High-cap with permenant muzzle device and amputated bayonet lug) and after 3000 - 4000 rounds, it still hangs up when manipulating the action at times. If you decide to forego polishing the trigger pack, like I did, you're simply relying on metal on metal friction to erode some of the mass. Depending on the Rockwell hardness and metallergical quality of the steel, it will vary.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

You can always lock-up the bolt by holding back the trigger and slowly releasing the bolt.
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Enraged Gecko
Curio & Relic

Personally, I practice just enough with an AK to stay proficient in its use. When I'm at the range, I prefer shooting the AR-15, SIG 556, and SCAR 16s. The AK is a great gun, but beween the loose tolerances and lack of readily available match ammunition in 7.62x39, I prefer shooting something that can hone my shooting skills to a higger degree. I can squeeze 1/2" groups from an unsupported prone position from the SCAR with half-ass commercial ammunition, and can get a marginal improvement with match ammo. I haven't seen an AK pattern rifle in 7.62 that could accomplish that.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Enraged Gecko
Curio & Relic

We'er talking about simple bolt manipulation, not intentionally trying to hang up the bolt. Without polishing, Sinko's rifle might never stop catching on the hammer.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
rpblake

AKaholic #: 10204

To answer part of your original question, yes, when slowly releasing the bolt carrier forward, it does hang up.
rpblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
AKRAGE
400ft below sea level

AKaholic #: 159787

does the kit from AKbuilder come with the disconnecter spring
AKRAGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Bob M

AKaholic #: 165120

IMO a little polishing is free....a few thousand rounds of ammo to polish the FCG is almost the cost of a new rifle!
Bob M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Nine2Five

AKaholic #: 161579

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAGE View Post
does the kit from AKbuilder come with the disconnecter spring
Mine didn't come with a spring from Ak Builder.
Nine2Five is offline   Reply With Quote