Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Sneakers1971
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

AKaholic #: 157433
Default Ace folding stock on a Sa93?

Hello everybody! Im a new to the Files and the Ak,and would like some solid insight on replacing the thumbhole stock on an Sa93. Someone had posted here a while back about replacing the thumbhole stock with a furniture set from Iron wood,and the problem was, add a lower tang or do the bolt through stock because the single top tang was not strong enough.
Is the single top tang strong enough for the Ace reciver block, and folding stock?
P.S. If I did not post something right, sorry I have never been on or part of a forum.
Sneakers1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
gilbasa1
armed infidel
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 155260

if ace makes a folder specific for a milled receiver it should be fine. they are a quality company and wouldnt put something on the market without it working perfect for the specific application. i had a sa93 and miss it all the time but i put the lower tang on,and it was a real pain in the ass. the iron wood stock set would be a great choice they will come with the long bolt and that should be more than enough with the upper tang. fixed stock yugos only use a long bolt to hold on the stock. iron wood is well worth the price it is great american quality
Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Sneakers1971
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Thanks for the reply. Im realy leaning towards the Ironwood stock set, still not shure what kind of wood though. If I do all wood I will put the lower tang on it, I can never go the easy way lol! I was just keeping my options open I kind of like the look of a folder.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
gilbasa1
armed infidel
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 155260

there is some machining to get the lower tang to fit. it really takes some time and a steady hand, but can be done. i would buy a cheaper stamped gun and put a folder on it, the stamped guns have way more options for stock sets. those sa93 are real nice guns and are increasing in value every year so i wouldnt do anything too dramatic that might decrease its value. but it is your gun so u can do whatever u want really.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
N4KVE

AKaholic #: 5440

I put a buttstock on my SA93 8 years ago. I didn't add a lower tang, & it has been fine. On some SA93's there is a slot to just add the tang, but on most some machining is required. I actually bought a tang from Global Trades, but when I realized what had to be done to install the tang, I said "screw it". The upper tang is strong enough. If however you use the Ironwoods buttstock, the inner rod does add strength & is easy to use. 8 years & no problems with 1 tang. GARY N4KVE
N4KVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Sneakers1971
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

galbasa1 & n4kve,Thank you for the sollid advice. I think I will skip the folder idea and go with the Ironwood furniture set, any sugestions on type of wood? I think they offer solid Birch, Birch lam. and walnut. I kind of like the laminate, looks more traditional. Im am not trying to replicate a true AK, just a better likness of one (it has an identity prob. right now!) .
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
N4KVE

AKaholic #: 5440

In my case when I ordered my buttstock from them, I told him I wanted the buttstock to end up looking exactly like the Chinese orange color, & to send whatever wood would be closest to the Chinese Chu wood. I don't remember what he sent, but after Z-Recto finished dying the wood, it was a perfect match. So tell Matt what the wood will be like when it's done, & he'll send you the closest match. GARY N4KVE
N4KVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
zeme05

AKaholic #: 13648

I have a SA 93 that came with the thumbhole stock. I imediatlely put a milled solid wood military Bulgarian stock on it. I have the tang (bought from Kvar)to instal but haven't had time. I shoot it without the bottom tang and I think it is pretty sturdy. Check out AK Forums under Bulgarian and there is a how to thread.
[IMG]
zeme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Sneakers1971
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Thanks for the tip N4KVE I will do just that.

Thats a nice wepon zeme05, is that a bakealite pistol grip or wood?
I will post pic's of mine when the stock is on but it might be some time work is crazy right now!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
zeme05

AKaholic #: 13648

It is a wood laminate (well used) from a kit bought at Northridge. Butt stock is solid wood from same kit, Bugarian it said. In the picture I was having trouble changing out the top hg so just left the old one on for the pic.
zeme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
WB

AKaholic #: 88968

I had trouble getting the top handguard wood off the gas tube, on my SA-93 also. I ended up getting another gas tube (with wood, that I ended up cutting off), so that I could keep all my original stock.
WB is offline   Reply With Quote