Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
jusjin1

AKaholic #: 156380
Default waffen werks ak74 ejection issues

So I got my new Waffen Werks AK74 out to the range today and was having some problems. Accuracy was great for an AK, but I was having some problems with some failure to eject issues. I had noticed when I first got my rifle, that the bolt was very stiff and would off not fully close and seemed to get held up on either the hammer or the ejector. I thought that lubing it up and running a few rounds through it would take care of the issue, but it did not seem to be helping.

Looking at the spent casings, it looked as though the ejector was striking low on the shells and in some failures, it pushed the casing past the bolt way back into the space between the dustcover and the spring. After I got home I took a closer look at the ejector and it appeared to be bent about 1.5 mm down. I managed to bend it back and the bolt seems to be sliding much better. I'm hoping to get back out to the range soon to see if the failure to eject problem has been taken care of.

Has any one else had a problem similar to this?
jusjin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Do you have digital or dial calibers available to measure the ejector?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
jusjin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat
Do you have digital or dial calibers available to measure the ejector?
My brother-in-law has a machine shop in his garage and we were able to measure the ejector and it was about 1.5 mm off compared to the welded rail. We were able to tap it back w/ a hammer and a brass punch and able to get it flush with the rail. The bolt seems to be much smoother now and is now longer stopping on the ejector.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
TxSoldier

AKaholic #: 85415

I was thinking about picking one of these up from Atlantic. I've been searching for reviews of a Waffen Werks rifle but can't find anything. This is the first negative I've seen about it.
TxSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
jusjin1

All in all as far as the finish of the gun i can't complain, but I was a bit disappointed with having to fix the ejector. I would have expected that they would have known that the bolt was sticking and fixed it before it left the shop.

I finally have a weekend off this week and i'm heading out to the range on Sunday. I'll let you know if my fix has worked. If not, I'll be shipping it back to Atlantic Firearms next week and pick up an Arsenal.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Please let us know if you do not get the issue ironed out we will be glad to have Waffen contact you.
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
jusjin1

Just back from the range. Very disappointed. 90 rounds. 8 jams. I guess my fix for the ejector did not work. Not quite sure what the problem is, but I've never seen an AK perform so poorly. I've fired 100's of rounds from my buddies Norinco AK-47 and never saw one misfeed. One in 10 seems pretty poor.

Hopefully Atlantic will stand by their product and let me send it back and exchange it for an Arsenal. I've had it with Waffen Werks.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
jusjin1

Default Silver Bear?

so I spoke to the folks at Waffen Werks and they stated that my ejection issues are from using Silver Bear Ammunition and that they've gotten several calls about this problem. They recommended trying wolf ammo to see how it works. Any one else out there have problems with Silver Bear ammo?

It seems strange that a $600 rifle, an AK series no less would not be able to eat what you feed it. I must say the folks at Atlantic have been great and I'm going to send the rifle back to them and pay the difference for an Arsenal AK74. I don't get to get to the range very often due to work and having 2 young kids, and it gets frustrating having to clear jams every 10th round.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
evol777

AKaholic #: 156196

i have no silver bear on hand to check and see if my waffen also has this issue but I did just run through 150rds. of 7n6 without a hitch
evol777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

A few years ago an ammo company said they quit selling Silver Bear due to "the issues" with it. The only problems I remember are a few cases didn't have flash holes for the primers but it wasn't common. The other problem may be the chamber in American barrels or the chamber may be rough. Steel case ammo has to have a coating to extract properly. Maybe zinc plating isn't good enough, especially in an American barrel.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
jusjin1

So I sent my Waffen Werks back to Atlantic Firearms for a return and they took the rifle back and tested it and did not have any problems with wolf or surplus ammo.

Nonetheless I was reluctant to keep that rifle and Atlantic graciously gave me credit for the rifle and I decided to upgrade to the Arsenal SGL-31-61. I must say that I'm very impressed with this rifle. I took it out to the range over the weekend and it worked flawlessly. I ran about 100 rounds of silver bear and 100 rounds of Tula ammo and not a single misfire. Good accuracy too. I was shooting 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. I'm glad I made the change and I'm glad Atlantic Firearms was willing to work with me in making me happy. I would definitely buy from them again.