Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 10-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
detroit360

AKaholic #: 1697
Default VZ 58 receiver ?

Prexis sten said there were in the works, but now iI see there not on his web site anymore, any one know whats up.
detroit360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

was that the sheet metal version, I've been waiting for that one
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
detroit360

I have no clue,It always said it's coming soon, but now I don't even see that, it never showed a picture.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
smittygj

AKaholic #: 2079
Default Still says coming soon...

http://www.prexis.com/sten/42.htm

But you gotta back door the site to get to the page.

My guess is that he isn't going to offer it, at least not yet....
smittygj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:03 AM   #5
Curio & Relic

sounds like a milled to me(dont quote me), but with a rework of the front end as a trunion, and the rest sheet, it couldnt be less than $200
Old 10-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
detroit360

Why is it we can't buy that from Canada but we can build it here ??
Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
rbthntr64

AKaholic #: 3964

Mike has a 75% block that he has shown over at weaponeer. It is supposidly going to be welded to the front part of the reciever in the kit.
Here is what he had to say;
"Any interest in a VZ-58 "repair" 80% receiver?????
It would be a new 80% receiver that goes from the stock mount to just before the chamber....
It would require that you square up & trim the front receiver section that came with your parts kit and weld the new receiver section in to place. This receiver is milled from "Solid" stock.....
The mag opening would be "slightly" undersized.....
The hole for mounting the stock would need threaded....
All holes for "Any" FCG would need to be drilled....
The area of the receiver that the FCG goes into will be a "reduced" width for building a "semi-version only" version of the VZ-58. (It could be cut out the rest of the way by any purchaser who can legally build a F/A version....
I will post pictures of this completed tomorrow night so that you can "see" what it would be like...... (I will be using this configuration for my VZ-58 build and will also be posting pictures of my semi approach in the near future.)"

rbthntr64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
rbthntr64

Default Marstar CZH2003

Detroit,
The reason it cannot come in is because it is a modified machine gun. They have retrofitted it to semi-automatic and all of the parts are foreign made.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
DaveGP

AKaholic #: 176

I've had discussions with Mike (the Prexis/Sten) and wait for an announcement shortly!
DaveGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Badfish0069

AKaholic #: 4136

Keep in mind all you CALIFORNIA guys:

VZ-58 semi automatic is 100% legal to own and shoot in CA w/a permanently attached magazine of 10rd capacity. As the VZ uses a stripper clip, it is no different, legally, than an SKS when used w/a fixed magazine.

I dont see why someone can't make a U channel receiver and then mill blocks to hold the FCG as requird. Make the rails from stock like an AK... It looks do-able to me. I have not had the time to get to it yet.

*waves* Hi Dave... I bought some plans from you (sent em to CA) for a VZ, I have been waiting patiently also. I have not been able to find a kit w/all 3 receiver stub pieces in it and no time to make a sheetmetal one.

Take care.

BF
Badfish0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
Curio & Relic

so thats what they look like before they're defiled with the gas ax! thanks for the pics

Last edited by 6526; 12-16-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #12
smittygj

AKaholic #: 2079
Default They are out there, but they are pricey...

They are here: http://www.prexis.com/sten/42.htm

80% receiver = $450

Seems high to me considering you can buy an AK milled receiver (100%)
for less than $300...

Just my opinion...
smittygj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:34 AM   #13
rbthntr64

It is less than the $695 that OOW is asking.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:32 AM   #14
DaveGP

AKaholic #: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittygj

80% receiver = $450

for less than $300...

Just my opinion...
Have you taken a good look at a Vz58 receiver? I doubt it! It's a bear to machine a copy, and Mike is asking a hell of a fair price!
For those wanting an english Vz58 manual, I got one from a friend with a Czech friend - and I have it hosted on my site here....

http://www3.telus.net/gunnery/Czech/CZ858manual.pdf

You're welcome!
DaveGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #15
Auntoldstory

AKaholic #: 8916

Why are vz-58 kits so cheap but when you go to buy the reciever you are spending an arm and a leg?
Auntoldstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #16
dstorm1911
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntoldstory
Why are vz-58 kits so cheap but when you go to buy the reciever you are spending an arm and a leg?
the parts sets are so cheap BECAUSE the reciever isn't......

BTW Folks ya can get the Czech made low cap reciever from Centerfire for 4 bills and change ya then needa mill out the mag well to go original Hi cap mags.... still alot easier and more reliable than the 80% version. I just went even easier though........ the OOW reciever is a cake walk to assemble........... and worth the extra $$ especially when ya put it in persepective compared to a milled AK price wise the VZ58 I hate to say it out classes the AK by bout 55% probably a lil more as its much more accurate, the standard BHO and easier to manipulate safty , lighter fast stock interchangability from fixed to folder etc.. etc.. etc.. its closer to a Valmet than an AK in quality really....
dstorm1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #17
seg

AKaholic #: 8278

The kits at CenterFire went up to $89, still cheap.But going up.
About the time I forget about them, one of these post pop up. BAM, I'll be up half the nite tring to come with a cheaper receiver.
seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4250

Can you assemble these D'strm? I bought the OOW reciever but I'm too chicken to start fooling with it. I've been looking for someone who knows how to do these or for a good tutorial. They are very complicated and the milled reciever is very intricate. I tried to press the barrel out of the old reciever stub but my 20 ton press stopped moving and the cross beam was bending in a quite sickening manner. I'll admit, I'm affraid of this one, owing to the fact that the reciever cost me almost 700 bucks.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 PM   #19
dstorm1911
Curio & Relic

Bubba, I've only assembled 16 of em I might be gettin it figured out I replied to your PM,

Uhhhh please stop tryin to demil the kit
Old 08-25-2007, 11:53 PM   #20
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

Are you callin me stupid? You might not be far from wrong

I won't screw with it till I hear from you.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #21
obiwanbonjovi

AKaholic #: 8977
Default new option coming soon for 100% receivers

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...?TID=5240&PN=1
obiwanbonjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
seg

AKaholic #: 8278

100% Receiver for $350, Hell yea!!! Thats half the price of everone else.
Anybody know the guy from Weaponeer? Wants a $75 deposit , thats sounds fair to me. There was something about other parts (?) in there, too.
But, the phrase AKaholic could in fact be sarcassam, depending on the person, reason for use, etc.So,Let it be know As far as myself and any reference that I my use in pertaining to Theropy or self help groups is in fact sarcassam
seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #23
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4865

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittygj

80% receiver = $450

for less than $300...

Just my opinion...
hahahahah..... not laughin at you -smitty just that price! man those vz where goi for $59 bucks at cfs awile back......nowonder! they gouge ya bad for the reciever. the sad thing is the vz is not as reliable and an AK-just read about it in guns and ammo mag. glad i didn't get one. but apprently they r decent shooters. i'd just sell the kit and go with an ak! too much $ to spend on a old kit.
jwc0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #24
jklein_1968

AKaholic #: 8654

Anyone got any info on OOWs VZ-2000?
jklein_1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #25
dstorm1911
Curio & Relic

The OOW built ones are exactly what ya have if ya buy their reciever and assemble it yourself your just paying an extra $400 for them to assemble it........

EXCELLENT rifle, I really like these folks who however will comment on a guns attributes based strictly on a magazine artical....... were they testing a REAL VZ58 or were they testing one of the single stack VZ58s that use the Promags instead of the originals, have the trigger that takes almost 12 lbs to fire etc....

The REAL VZ58 comes out to the same price of a milled AK when your done, however it will include a super smooth trigger, a standard real BHO, the ability to swap stocks depending on your mood in under 1 minute from folder to fixed very light weight using a short stroke gas piston system which lends itself to the very much improved accuracy over the AK with its gas piston attached to the bolt carrier etc...... oh and actual real world reliability.......... 17K rnds through one so far and not a single failure of any type..... thats being used in heavy blowing sand and dust here in AZ BTW.......
Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #26
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

you sure do talk alot about it, Dstorm.....

Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #27
dstorm1911
Curio & Relic

Bubbajj I really like em, the only thing I've ever found I don't like is the price of the recievers but try to put em in perspective with what they are as a milled unit as opposed to stamped.... I'd use one as the general go to carbine insteada the Yugo M70AB2 simply cause they are lighter and more accurate but.... the extra weight of the Yugo is better for longer shots which is what we tend to get more of out here in the desert......

Yours ain't the only one waitin in the wings, got a bunch of my own stuff thats on hold till get some of this stuff settled..... Needa get into the shop sometime soon... Don just recieved 6 more AKs to be built too.......
Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #28
jklein_1968

AKaholic #: 8654

dstorm -- Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I should put a VZ-58 kit or two a way for later. I was uncomfortable about the ability to find compliance parts and a receiver. I was also unsure about how difficult it is to build one on a 100% receiver. I guess the worst that could happen is I sit on the kits until I can get the cash to have them built.
jklein_1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #29
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

you missed my point Dstorm. I was saying you have plenty of time to talk about em but you aint got time to build mine. I'm just givin ya a hard time. I'm gonna keep buggin ya, by the way.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #30
dstorm1911
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklein_1968
dstorm -- Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I should put a VZ-58 kit or two a way for later. I was uncomfortable about the ability to find compliance parts and a receiver. I was also unsure about how difficult it is to build one on a 100% receiver. I guess the worst that could happen is I sit on the kits until I can get the cash to have them built.
If ya do the OOW kit it comes with everything ya need to be ready to go including 922R compliance parts etc... thats why its a much better deal when ya add it all up the prexis stuff the Weaponeer deal all of em ya still gotta come up with FCG and the rest of the compliance stuff etc...

Bubba, I've got 6 virgin yugo M70AB2s sittin in the machine room at the shop as well as 4 SBR M92 virgin kits, 1 1927a1 registered Tommy gun (an original thats totally wore out so gonna rebuild it with onea our unissued parts sets to make it a new old machine gun) 3 RPKs, 6 Rommy G kits and 2 VZ58s and ya know what?

When I get back into the shop I intend to do your VZ58 right behind onea the SBR M92s which puts you #2 in line..... the Tommy was #2 but its owner got sent to Iraq so ya got bumped from #9 to #2 just cause your my favorite annoyin Akfiles member

The other akfiles jobs are right behind you but keep that quiet cause 3 of them Yugo's are for friends of mine

I just gotta get the BS at home settled down some ........... man I sure am missin that ol Peterbilt... I walk cross the yard an start her up every mornin so she don't get too lonely...... Watched "Iceroad truckers" last night... that was bad....... as long as they don't re-run Smokey an the Bandit I might be able to keep hangin out here long enough to get into the shop an get some of these guns outa the way..... but it gets kinda tough when I go passin them trucks on I-10 everyday..... on a d@mn bike!! AND to make matters worse the driver I put in my old road truck calls me WHILE he is drivin so I gotta listen to the Swift drivers all bitchin on the CB cause he's blowin by em pullin them West Virgina hills!! That outa be me pissin them steerin wheel holders off! but nooooooooo I'm sittin here lookin at a pile of needa be built guns...............

Last edited by dstorm1911; 09-24-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #31
dyi

AKaholic #: 2881

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstorm1911
Iwhen ya add it all up ... the Weaponeer deal all of em ya still gotta come up with FCG and the rest of the compliance stuff etc...
http://www.weaponeer.net/productcart...&idproduct=145

http://www.weaponeer.net/productcart...&idproduct=149

$480 total vs $695????????
dyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #32
lextech
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 6259

Damn that gb looks enticing. I gotta lotta irons in the fire now but man thatld be something different to own. Im a little lerry of group buys, I got in on one on Roderus customs website in april and Im still waiting for my kit, estimated delivery was mid june.
lextech is offline   Reply With Quote