Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
ar15u2

AKaholic #: 3766
Default SBR Centerfire PPS-43C Pistol without 922r rules?

I have searched the entire web and see pros and cons of the legality of cutting the weld on the welded folding stock and paying the $200 to SBR the piece without worrying about 922r restrictions.
Does anyone have anything new to say about this that may have some recent info?
ar15u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4250

If you SBR it, that's what you'd do. IIRC 922R doesn't apply to em once you've gotten the tax stamp. SBR it BEFORE you cut out the welds.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
motorhead
EVIL GENIUS

AKaholic #: 6093

922r really applies to the manufacturer.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4250

I've heard that. Don't know if I want to test it.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
brianell

AKaholic #: 73532

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
922r really applies to the manufacturer.
True, but they made a pistol. If he makes a rifle, its on him. However, as I understand, 922r does not apply to sbr anyway.
brianell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

922 doesn't apply to pistols. Only the evil black rifles.
insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
ar15u2

AKaholic #: 3766

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
922 doesn't apply to pistols. Only the evil black rifles.
I know it doesn't apply to pistols, but it will be a rifle if converted.

The problem in asking this question is that everyone has their interpretation of the law. I have read both sides in several places. One guy received a letter in January that said he would still have to abide by the 922r even though it would be an SBR.
I guess I will not know for sure until I decide to do it and send in the paperwork. Any letter you get from them can be different depending on which agent replies.
No one is safe.
ar15u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 10051

922r does not apply to NFA weapons.
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

From reading various ATF letters, it appears they currently distinguish between NFA firearms made from an existing imported firearm and one made from a kit that was assembled here. One falls under 922(r) and one doesn't. Unfortunately, due to the usual ATF legalese doublespeak and refusal to simply come out and say something clearly, I have no idea which is which. To CYA I would get your own letter.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

That would be a real tough case to fight.
You give them $200.00 for an approval on a restricted weapon. They approve your application and then claim you used imported parts. LOL
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
steves

AKaholic #: 64245

The approval is about barrel length and not parts count. I have heard of conflicting information on SBR/922r compliance information in the past year., dunno.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Blacksmith
Curio & Relic

Itís still a restricted weapon. after the extensive back ground check, approval, etc. they would come out looking like a bunch of buffoons going after you for parts count.
Iíve seen several letters stating that 922r does not apply to NFA weapons. If a few of them choose to misinterpret the laws, they are obviously not thinking of the outcome if they are forced to enforce it.

Besides. we are talking about laws applying to three different weapons. A pistol, a Rifle and a Short barrel rifle. They are clearly in three different categories and the laws pertaining to a short barrel rifle are clearly different to the laws pertaining to a pistol of a rifle. You canít lump the three together.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

922(r) does not apply to pistols, for sure. However, 922(r) does apply to rifles made from foreign parts in a banned configuration, which is what an SBR is. Can't import it, and an SBR is still a rifle. All the rifle laws still apply, except for length requirements and NICS. Besides a form 4, you also have to fill out a standard 4473 when you buy one, for example.

Back in the day ATF interpreted the parts rule regs as they only applied to making a "sporting weapon", which an NFA item is not. No US parts needed. Lately they have revisited this, and for some reason make a distinction between a rifle you make from a kit yourself, and converting an existing rifle that was imported as a sporting rifle. Now they say one requires parts, one doesn't. I've read several letters on it, and still don't know which is which.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
steves

AKaholic #: 64245

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink
922(r) does not apply to pistols, for sure. However, 922(r) does apply to rifles made from foreign parts in a banned configuration, which is what an SBR is. Can't import it, and an SBR is still a rifle. All the rifle laws still apply, except for length requirements and NICS. Besides a form 4, you also have to fill out a standard 4473 when you buy one, for example.

Back in the day ATF interpreted the parts rule regs as they only applied to making a "sporting weapon", which an NFA item is not. No US parts needed. Lately they have revisited this, and for some reason make a distinction between a rifle you make from a kit yourself, and converting an existing rifle that was imported as a sporting rifle. Now they say one requires parts, one doesn't. I've read several letters on it, and still don't know which is which.

+1., pretty much what I have heard/read but dunno the latest letters or ruling. Fairly recent change in the past year or so.IIRC
Used the be that SBR approved weapons were universally considered exempt from 922r but new info as noted.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote