Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
tikibabo

AKaholic #: 107607
Default VZ 2008 Sporter AK

Does anybody out there own a VZ 2008 Sporter AK? If yo do, do they perform well? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy one of these or get me a WASR. I think you can get the Sporter with a synthetic or wooden stock. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
tikibabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

It's not an AK at all.

It's a totally different design that just happens to share the cartridge (giving it the "AK magazine curve").

They beat the hell out of any AK (don't let the fanbois tell you different).

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
jbabbler

AKaholic #: 108445

The VZ58 is a fantastic rifle but be aware that they use their own unique magazine and no AK parts will swap. The VZ uses a milled receiver and is lighter than an AK. The polymer furniture you speak of is actually a wood impregnated polymer that really holds up well. If you look at the rifle see if it is a CZ made rifle from Czechpoint. Century is building a VZ58 clone that they call the VZ2008. Like all things Century, I would only buy it if I could physically see it before hand. The VZ2008's barrel is not chrome lined either. It's easy to spot the VZ2008 over the VZ58 based on the safety position. A true VZ58 has a 3 o'clock hot spot while the vz2008 is hot at 9 o'clock.
jbabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
trizz

AKaholic #: 43163

I own a VZ2008 and a WASR 10/63.

The WASR is a fine rifle, but the VZ is better in nearly every respect.

IMO the VZ2008 is hands down the best deal on a 7.62x39 rifle you can get right now.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Verg_6

AKaholic #: 106747

Go for the VZ. You can pick up a WASR anytime.
Verg_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
tikibabo

Thanks to all for the quick replies. Good information to consider.

jbabbler: I saw the VZ 2008 Sporter advertised in the J&G Sales catalog for ~ $530. It doesn't say who the manufacturer is. I checked the CZ USA website and the description of the VZ 58 rifle has the word DISCONTINUED in it...very confusing. Here's the link:
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/vz-58-military-sporter/.

Considering the price difference b/w J&G Sales and CZ USA (MSRP for the VZ 58 is $1,015), I'm guessing that the VZ 2008 I'm looking at is made by Century. Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikibabo
Considering the price difference b/w J&G Sales and CZ USA (MSRP for the VZ 58 is $1,015), I'm guessing that the VZ 2008 I'm looking at is made by Century. Any thoughts?
MSRP rarely matters.

I'd suggest you call the vendor and find out the manufacturer.

BTW, CZ-USA is no longer selling the VZ-58 rifles. They are still being imported by another company and sold by other vendors.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
trizz

AKaholic #: 43163

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikibabo
Thanks to all for the quick replies. Good information to consider.

jbabbler: I saw the VZ 2008 Sporter advertised in the J&G Sales catalog for ~ $530. It doesn't say who the manufacturer is. I checked the CZ USA website and the description of the VZ 58 rifle has the word DISCONTINUED in it...very confusing. Here's the link:
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/vz-58-military-sporter/.

The VZ2008 is made by century, no matter who is selling it. It's made from a VZ-58 parts kit using new US made milled receiver and barrel with bayo lug. Even though its Century, these rifles are VERY well built.

The Czechpoint and CZ USA VZ-58 are Czech built with 922r parts installed and bayo lug ground off of original chrome lined barrel.

Even though its built by Century, the VZ2008 is an excellent rifle at a very fair price. I personally can't see paying 500 more for the czechpoint just to get a chrome lined barrel with no bayo lug.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
mojo00
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 9021

I got me one of them VZ2008's and its a peach. Lots of know-it-alls on the net say these are inferior to the Czech import rifles, but I strongly dissagree.

The rifle is well built, well finished beauty of a rifle. The finish is a even parkerize. The VZ 58's were painted in grey, but the Czech import rifles, from what I seen have sloppy grey paint jobs...Id rather have a parker base on which I can apply my own paint if I so chose.

Function is flawless and it hits all I aim at. Magazines dont interchange with the AK, but so what. The bolt carrier has a built in charger guide so the magazine doesnt have to be removed unless one wants to, one mag pouch with 4 extra mags for quick changes and a SKS chest pouch with a ton of 10rd stripper clips is all you will ever need.

Its a milled receiver but for some reason feels lighter and handier than any AK I own, recoil is very mild so follow up shots are quick. A big plus, for me anyways, is the fact the bayonet lug on the VZ2008 is intact not neutered like on the Czech imports AND it has a threaded muzzle with a removable slant comp, not big deals to some but its important to me, I like that original look....although the barrel is slightly longer than the Czech imports. The Czech imports use the original barrel, thus the neutered bayo lug and permanently welded muzzle extension. Changing from a folder to a standard stock is a one bolt operation, so easy even Ivan can do it.

If you dont have one you should think about adding one to your collection of Commie rifles, you wont regret it
mojo00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
tikibabo

Good deal guys. I think I know what to do know. I hope to be posting some pictures of my first AK-like rifle pretty soon.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo00
I got me one of them VZ2008's and its a peach. Lots of know-it-alls on the net say these are inferior to the Czech import rifles, but I strongly dissagree.
Those 'know-it-alls on the net" have nothing against a Century product that was assembled properly.

Century's track record shows that they really don't have a grasp on that at times.

☑ Receivers with bad heat treat.
☑ Ground-to-fit critical parts
☑ Crooked or wrong barrels

When you buy Remington, or Winchester, you don't have any doubts that you're buying a good gun - right out of the box.

With Century, it may have to go back to them more than once before it runs (if it ever runs at all)

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
Scott7891

AKaholic #: 58999

The CZ ones are also not at all what they are cracked up to be. The one I had had some problems of its own.

Some of the problems mine experienced were:

1) Broken front guard right out of the box.

2) Stock furniture was loose, even after screwing it back it would come loose again after some-odd rounds. Pistol grip and butt-stock were constant pains to keep screwed together and I barely shot the thing.

3) Magazine it came with did not work. Would only feed one or two rounds at a time. Good thing I bought a few surplus mags to go with it so I could still shoot it. Worked reliably with them.

4) Obviously no bayonet lug or threaded brake.

Mine was imported by TGI, so that could explain some of the problems.

The only plus I can say is that the sights were not canted and the mag release was smooth to operate.

Sold it for an ORF-built one. Surprisingly it has worked better than the CZ one I had plus it had the bayonet lug and muzzle brake. The sight was canted but got it fixed by a gunsmith. The mag release is a bit more tight but usable.

The Vz-58 market is largely hit or miss IMO. One is better off building one from a kit or paying a gunsmith to build it if they want quality and features out of the box without worrying about getting a lemon or playing the warranty game.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Dark One

AKaholic #: 30036

Both of my VZ 58's are golden. One built by Troy at Inrange and one from Waffen Werks. Both have the bayonet lugs and are good to go.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Bubbajj
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4250

Buy a reciever separatly and get a kit to assemble it on. Mine is built on a reciever with a kit. Has the original chrome lined barrel and bayo lug. The only thing I had to give up was the threaded muzzle but they didnt come with muzzle devices any way. Here's mine hiding amidst some AKs. Note Prexis US made oak funiture. Nice addition so I'm not worried about us parts count when you add in the fire control parts that came with the reciever.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
GunBugBit

AKaholic #: 140929

I'm about to buy myself a VZ2008 in Prescott AZ at J&G Sales. For $360 I'll take the risk on a Century Arms build and make it a project rifle. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make it work fine and if I get lucky it'll work fine out of the box. Non-chromed barrel does not bother me at all, my Yugo SKS barrel is not chrome-lined either.

The safety works in reverse from a standard VZ 58 but I believe a part replacement gets you a safety that can be swept forward and back to take it off safe.

I've read a good number of reports of owners of the VZ2008 who think it's excellent. Almost all the guys who slam it are the ones who dropped $500 more on a Czechpoint, which is fine, but people have a way of finding reasons to rationalize spending more money.

"Mine is not a piece of crap Century, I wouldn't go near those, you don't want one, trust me...blah blah blah..."

Or you read reports from the guys who are overwhelmed by minor problems that any gun guy worth his salt can fix up right quick.

Looks to me like a potentially outstanding item at $360.
GunBugBit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
B166ER
Beyond Left and Right

AKaholic #: 156345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajj
Buy a reciever separatly and get a kit to assemble it on. Mine is built on a reciever with a kit. Has the original chrome lined barrel and bayo lug. The only thing I had to give up was the threaded muzzle but they didnt come with muzzle devices any way. Here's mine hiding amidst some AKs. Note Prexis US made oak funiture. Nice addition so I'm not worried about us parts count when you add in the fire control parts that came with the reciever.

Wow that's a cool buttstock! Did you do that yourself or is that from a Tabuk?
B166ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
ftierson
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit
I'm about to buy myself a VZ2008 in Prescott AZ at J&G Sales. For $360 I'll take the risk on a Century Arms build and make it a project rifle. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make it work fine and if I get lucky it'll work fine out of the box. Non-chromed barrel does not bother me at all, my Yugo SKS barrel is not chrome-lined either.

The safety works in reverse from a standard VZ 58 but I believe a part replacement gets you a safety that can be swept forward and back to take it off safe.

I've read a good number of reports of owners of the VZ2008 who think it's excellent. Almost all the guys who slam it are the ones who dropped $500 more on a Czechpoint, which is fine, but people have a way of finding reasons to rationalize spending more money.

"Mine is not a piece of crap Century, I wouldn't go near those, you don't want one, trust me...blah blah blah..."

Or you read reports from the guys who are overwhelmed by minor problems that any gun guy worth his salt can fix up right quick.

I picked up one of these from J&G right around Christmas time and am very happy with what I received.

A couple of negatives: The rifle was parked as a unit without plugging the bore, so the bore (of the new US-made barrel) starts out somewhat "pitted" and the front sight slider required a big hammer to break it free to adjust the front sight. However, for the money, I'm very happy...

However, again, I just saw one come through the shop with an appreciably canted front sight base (the first that I've seen on the VZ2008 rifles), so keep that in mind...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
preokc

AKaholic #: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth
Those 'know-it-alls on the net" have nothing against a Century product that was assembled properly.

Century's track record shows that they really don't have a grasp on that at times.

☑ Receivers with bad heat treat.
☑ Ground-to-fit critical parts
☑ Crooked or wrong barrels

When you buy Remington, or Winchester, you don't have any doubts that you're buying a good gun - right out of the box.

With Century, it may have to go back to them more than once before it runs (if it ever runs at all)
Well said! After having a CAI built rifle that was as POS and they told me nothing was wrong with it ill never buy one of their products again!

Ild love to have a VZ 58 but ill wait.
preokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #19
mojo00
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 9021

Quote:

+1
mojo00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 PM   #20
Arizona Highlander

AKaholic #: 8400

Quote:
I'm about to buy myself a VZ2008 in Prescott AZ at J&G Sales. For $360 I'll take the risk on a Century Arms build and make it a project rifle. .
Best call before you go . . . J&G sold out of the folders just this afternoon. The synthetics have been out of stock for weeks, and they altogether stopped taking back orders for the woods, saying that, last they heard, they may never arrive.
Arizona Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #21
GunBugBit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Highlander
Best call before you go . . . J&G sold out of the folders just this afternoon. The synthetics have been out of stock for weeks, and they altogether stopped taking back orders for the woods, saying that, last they heard, they may never arrive.
You're right, I should have called, as indeed they informed me that they had run out of the VZ2008s.

I did, however, have a backup plan. I knew I'd be getting an AK at some point, and they had some with the Polish milled receivers. I didn't drive 90 miles to go away empty handed.

So this guy followed me home:

I also got to fondle a new black Dan Wesson Valor, a super sweet 1911. At $1,830 I knew I wasn't going to be making that acquisition today.

I asked if I could pull the trigger, and after an awkward silence, the sales guy said, "once", so I did. And it was uber-crisp, probably right at 4 lbs.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
nalioth

Quote:
I did, however, have a backup plan. I knew I'd be getting an AK at some point, and they had some with the Polish milled receivers. I didn't drive 90 miles to go away empty handed.
I hope they didn't tell you that.

That gun is 75% American-made by volume. The receiver, barrel and many of the operating parts are US-made.

Nice looking gun, btw.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
GunBugBit

They advertise it as a "Polish AK47", my bad inferring a "Polish milled receiver."

I guess ATM mills the receiver.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....136ef55b3ce1ac