Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Ak-sharpshooter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 11436
Default wasr-10 wasr 10/63 ?

What is the difference between the wasr 10 and the 10/63? I have a wasr-10 great weapon but have never seen the 10/63 just wondering what the difference is.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Dysfunction

AKaholic #: 154933

They are newer de-milled military rifles. Made of higher quality parts.
Dysfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Verg_6

AKaholic #: 106747

WASR 10/63s are, supposedly, made of surplus mil-spec components that are of higher quality than those of the WASR 10 (which are apparently from a reject bin). The 10/63s come with a slant compensator which can be removed without a dremel, and a bayonet lug. They also come with a front trunnion that is marked with the Cugir Arsenal stamp (featherless arrow inside a triangle), adding some Com-Bloc authenticity to it. It's said that the closer your 10/63's year stamp is to 1963, the better.

All in all, a 10/63 is a WASR with better build quality that further retains that classic AKM look.
Verg_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction
They are newer de-milled military rifles. Made of higher quality parts.
They are not that much "newer".

They are just recently being made from "de-milled military rifles" (past year or so).

The WASR-10 arrived during the AWB. The WASR-10/63 arrived at the AWB's cessation (that's over 6 years ago for you guys who can't do math).

(Almost) Everything you want to know about the Romanian Kalashnikov:
Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Ak-sharpshooter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 11436

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Stew

AKaholic #: 155192

That Romanian AK page is 5 years old. As a resident of Kalifornia, I can assure anyone who might care that Kalifornia residents can indeed own Romanian AKs. It's just that they must be altered somewhat to conform to Kali DOJ regs: bullet button, 10rd mags, etc.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
azlester

AKaholic #: 154700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verg_6
WASR 10/63s are, supposedly, made of surplus mil-spec components that are of higher quality than those of the WASR 10 (which are apparently from a reject bin). The 10/63s come with a slant compensator which can be removed without a dremel, and a bayonet lug. They also come with a front trunnion that is marked with the Cugir Arsenal stamp (featherless arrow inside a triangle), adding some Com-Bloc authenticity to it. It's said that the closer your 10/63's year stamp is to 1963, the better.

All in all, a 10/63 is a WASR with better build quality that further retains that classic AKM look.
The WASR 10's were built using parts that did not meet the full military spec.. Using military spec parts the WASR10-63 is now a victim of the barrel ban. The new WASR10-63's will be built with new Romanian barrels, not the military surplus barrels that they had been using. The sources for trunions and all the other parts will still be the same.
But having parts that didn't meet mil spec isn't necessarily a bad thing, they didn't meet mil spec for finish reasons or what ever, but they still met spec and they were not trash parts(the liability alone of using garbage parts would keep even a thief honest) Using the mil surplus doesn't necessarily mean your have a better rifle either. There are lots of mil spec rifles that don't shoot worth a poop too.
I have seen good WASR10's and bad ones. The same can be said about the WASR10-63's too. One isn't better then or worse then the other. Just different.
azlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlester
Using military spec parts the WASR10-63 is now a victim of the barrel ban.
Please substantiate this.

If you can't , please quit spreading it.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
azlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth
Please substantiate this.

If you can't , please quit spreading it.
That information came from Atlantic Firearms and also from Bryan at AIM Surplus as it was posted in this thread on ARFCOM.

WASR link

Read the entire thread.

They are both an authorized dealers for Century Arms. They also stated that due to the fact that the barrels will be of new production that they will be having a $25-$35. What better source would you like? The barrel ban is a FACT! It applies to both kits and rifles imported to the US.

Is that good enough for you?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 146144

So what happens to the ones already here if they are "banning" the barrels?
Lord Ak-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
nalioth

This was posted a couple days ago here on AK Files.

It is a bullshit attempt to drive sales by parties unknown.

The barrel ban does not affect complete rifles.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
azlester

The ones that are here are here. It is just we can not bring in any more military surplus barrels. Just the ATF trying to reduce the number of rifles and such that come into this country. That is why the kits that are coming in now do not have barrels or they have barrels that have been cut and are useless.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
nalioth

Quote:
The ones that are here are here. It is just we can not bring in any more military surplus barrels. Just the ATF trying to reduce the number of rifles and such that come into this country. That is why the kits that are coming in now do not have barrels or they have barrels that have been cut and are useless.
Yes, we're famliar with the barrel ban.

That only pertains to replacement barrels - not barrels that are part of a complete rifle.

Quit spreading the vendor's lies, please.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Vendor lies ??? The issue with the WASR rifles was they were using surplus take off barrels and the barrel ban does include these. The ATF discovered this in a audit and is making them use new production barrels on the incoming WASR rifles . The new barrels either on a rifle or imported as just a barrel are not banned at this time.There is no Mass conspiracy to concoct a story to raise the price but we are responsible for Bigfoot & Area 51 !!!
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
azlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms
Vendor lies ??? The issue with the WASR rifles was they were using surplus take off barrels and the barrel ban does include these. The ATF discovered this in a audit and is making them use new production barrels on the incoming WASR rifles . The new barrels either on a rifle or imported as just a barrel are not banned at this time.There is no Mass conspiracy to concoct a story to raise the price but we are responsible for Bigfoot & Area 51 !!!
Thank you for confirming what I had said about the barrels.
Some people just can't see the writing on the wall.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
drjarhead
Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Okay, so where can someone find a WASR 10/63.

I can find plenty or WASR 10s on the usual sites but where can I find a 10/63?
--bax333
drjarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
hammerhead1937

AKaholic #: 75953

J&G sales has them. That's where I got mine. I like it!
hammerhead1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
ttman

AKaholic #: 4324

so instead of using surplus barrels they will be using brand new barrels from romania. are the new barrels inferior or something? are they made from the same machinery?
ttman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
azlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead
Okay, so where can someone find a WASR 10/63.

I can find plenty or WASR 10s on the usual sites but where can I find a 10/63?
The Century Arms part number for the WASR is RI 1163-N. This is the fixed stock with bayo lug and slant break and high capacity mags. Email the people showing stock and ask how the receiver is marked. I would think that anyone that has one in stock would have the latest version the WASR10/63(and marked as such) as the older versions(WASR10's) haven't been imported in years!
Century has the WASR!)/63 in stock with the "dong" front lower handguard.($289 if I remeber right) and I think that Centerfire, J&G Sales and Classic Arms has them in stock too. Aim is out of stock at this time.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
nalioth

Quote:
Thank you for confirming what I had said about the barrels.
Some people just can't see the writing on the wall.
There is no "writing on the walls".

If this isn't some kind of vendor scare tactic, it's the ATF playing fast-and-loose with the laws.

The guns are coming out of a Romanian arms factory, why does the ATF care if the barrels are pulls from unissued guns or virgin barrels on the rifles? These are "complete rifles" not individual barrels.

I smell a rat, and some of you are evidently not seeing the big picture.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #21
auditech10

AKaholic #: 41649

How would a an organization like the BATFE find out, or even care, what barrel is on an imported rifle such as the WASR series? Ok so they now(supposedly) are to remove "military spec" barrels and install, what "non-military spec" barrels? Where do they think these barrels are going to come from? They will come from the same line that the removed barrels came from... This makes absolutely ZERO sense!
auditech10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #22
Atlantic Firearms
Dealer
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Please feel free to call Century Arms direct and ask them about the barrel situation . The internet boards are always full of wild conspiracy theorys . If a company wants to raise a price they do not need to justify it to the public by making up a story. Even at a slightly higher price the WASR rifles are still one of the least expesnive AK platforms on the market & they will sell.
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #23
MontanaGrant
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 139659

I don't see why "Gun dealers" are being blamed.

It was a long-step for the Alcoholics Trading Firearms to ban the barrels from coming in. What's another tiny step saying those barrels can't come in on a rifle?
MontanaGrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #24
Dysfunction

AKaholic #: 154933

The Dunham's Sports in my area keeps a massive stock of WASR 10/63's. They don't even have regular WASR-10's.
Dysfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
Duct Tape

AKaholic #: 46246

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the WASR 10/63s former military AKMs where the parts were taken and rebuilt on a low capacity receiver in Romania and imported as a completed rifle? And if this is the case, then wouldn't they be allowed to keep the original barrel, exempli gratia, Saiga and PSL rifles being allowed to keep their original barrels?
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #26
drjarhead
Mad Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction
The Dunham's Sports in my area keeps a massive stock of WASR 10/63's. They don't even have regular WASR-10's.
Found a couple of WASR 10/63s yesterday at Dunhams a couple of hours from here yesterday. Thought I'd think about picking one up.

Both had the lugs ground down and canted sights. The lugs were the deal breaker.

I'll pass.

FWIW, though, the guy behind the counter said they were going to have a slae on them between Christmas and New Years. They were going to be marked down from $449 to $329.

That's what he told me so I am passing it on.
--bax333
Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #27
Verg_6

Quote:
Found a couple of WASR 10/63s yesterday at Dunhams a couple of hours from here yesterday. Thought I'd think about picking one up.

Both had the lugs ground down and canted sights. The lugs were the deal breaker.

I'll pass.

FWIW, though, the guy behind the counter said they were going to have a slae on them between Christmas and New Years. They were going to be marked down from $449 to $329.

That's what he told me so I am passing it on.
A 10/63 with lugs ground down sounds...quite odd...
Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #28
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the WASR 10/63s former military AKMs where the parts were taken and rebuilt on a low capacity receiver in Romania and imported as a completed rifle? And if this is the case, then wouldn't they be allowed to keep the original barrel, exempli gratia, Saiga and PSL rifles being allowed to keep their original barrels?
Close.

WASR 10/63s started being imported after the AWB sunset. At that time, they were still being made from new-but-rejected-for-military-service parts. The difference was that the 10/63 is "more mlitary" in options, as it ships with a threaded muzzle, and intact bayonet lug (not to mention the two 30 round mags and a bayonet in the shipping box).

Romania has really turned down their arms making (meaning that there's not a lot of 'new' AKs being made), having converted a lot of their arms factory to making car parts, so a year or so ago, they took a page out of our book and started recycling their old military rifles (Making "G kit" guns, just think of them as "factory refurbished" )

This "original barrel" and "WASRs are subject to the barrel ban" crap is a load of bullshit. I'm not sure who started the rumor, but someone is pulling a lot of legs somewhere.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #29
drjarhead
Mad Doctor

Quote:
A 10/63 with lugs ground down sounds...quite odd...
WASR 10/63 right on the side and no lugs. You could see where they had been but gone...

I asked the guy behind the counter WTF but he had not a clue.

This was in the MI UP. MI sucks. Beautiful State but the politics and gun laws totally suck. I live a few miles from the border and that is why. Would have moved to the UP but MI can FOAD AFAIC.
Talk about a bunch of leftwing, POS, entitlement whiners also....wow. You would never expect it in a place like that but it is unbelievable.
--bax333
Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #30
Verg_6

Quote:
WASR 10/63 right on the side and no lugs. You could see where they had been but gone...

I asked the guy behind the counter WTF but he had not a clue.

This was in the MI UP. MI sucks. Beautiful State but the politics and gun laws totally suck. I live a few miles from the border and that is why. Would have moved to the UP but MI can FOAD AFAIC.
Talk about a bunch of leftwing, POS, entitlement whiners also....wow. You would never expect it in a place like that but it is unbelievable.
You could always try getting one online if the 10/63s in your area are neutered.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #31
drjarhead
Mad Doctor

Quote:
You could always try getting one online if the 10/63s in your area are neutered.
Eh, I have enough AKs (wait, did I really say that?! ) but I thought that if they were drying up that it might be worth picking one up. I'll probably pass on it.
--bax333