Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 12-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
WVwheelgunner

AKaholic #: 155195
Default ATI AK?

My local dealer has an American Tactical AK-47. Seems the milled receiver is a big deal, but to me, it just adds weight. I can get it for about $560, NIB.

I searched ATI on this forum, but found very little. Anyone have experience with these rifles?

BTW - I've been researching AK-47s all over the web, and the only consistent info I get is that Norincos are among the best.

No one agrees on anything else. WASRS are great, no, they suck, receivers should be stamped, no, milled, chrome-lined barrels are necessary, no they are not, American made is good, no, only foreign rifles are good, etc.

I'm not sure I'll ever buy an AK /AK variant. I got burned badly on a Golani Sporter, and I'm afraid it's going to happen again.
WVwheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Scott7891

AKaholic #: 58999

I would forget you ever saw the ATI model. For one it is not truly milled, there are rivets in the rear trunnion holding it in place !!!!

The gun is built using AKM stamped parts on a milled gun, any gun built like that should be avoided at all costs.

You know it is bad when Atlantic Firearms, on this site, told customers to buy the Century Polish milled AK over this one.

Save your money, look elsewhere.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
sparky241

AKaholic #: 14115

i dont know anything about ati, but i do know stay away from century if you dont want to have any problems with your rifles. Milled are generally a bit more accurate, but there is nothing at all wrong with a stamped. If you want it, find out about the warranty on it. if its decent get it and if there is a problem, send it back. even century has a decent warranty. What was wrong with the goloni?

\ˈlē-gəl\ \ˌin(t)-sə-ˈrek-shən\: "a rising up against established authority; rebellion; revolt" "in conformity with or permitted by law"
sparky241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
WVwheelgunner

AKaholic #: 155195

Scott7891, thanks for your reply. I liked the fit & finish of the ATI, and was tempted to buy it on the spot, but I had a gut feeling something was fishy about this rifle. Any time I see an American-made rifle for less than $600, I get suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky241
What was wrong with the goloni?
1.Canted front sight
2.Could not get the dust cover back on without a rubber mallet, and a lot of swearing (I even had the 'smith grind metal off the dust cover to facilitate reassembly - it still did not work).
3. Weigh a ton - really, stupidly heavy for a .223 mouse round.
4. The fit & finish looked like apes did the work.
5. Jammed every six or seven rounds with both mags and every kind of ammo. And I mean jammed good - as in double feeds, not just stovepipes.
6. Six-inch groups at 50 yards, from a rest. I got better accuracy from my revolvers.

And yes, I cleaned the cosmo out of it, I did nothing wrong, it was just a Century Arms POS.
WVwheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Verg_6

AKaholic #: 106747

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky241
but i do know stay away from century if you dont want to have any problems with your rifles.
Please stop spreading misinformation, it keeps newbies from experiencing actually decent guns without breaking their bank.
Verg_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Scott7891

WVwheelgunner,

Is there a particular model or type of AK that fits your fancy?

If you are in to the milled AK's (non rivet builds), and do not mind lacking features like threaded barrels, bayonet lugs, and sometimes pistol grips, you can still find Assault-Weapon-Ban era Bulgarian ones for between $800-$1000.

If you desire the "evil features" be prepared to spend way over $1000 unless you want a Century-assembled Polish AK which is in your $560 budget. However it will lack the chrome-lined barrel for longevity and durability.

For stamped receiver AK's, if you want a:

Romanian, go for a WASR-10/63.
Bulgarian go Arsenal (over $560 but are well made)
Russian go SAIGA
Egyptian Maadi's are okay too (just as long as its not the Century built MISR-90 Chinese/Egyptian hybrid POS which has the thumbhole stock) and can be had for under $560. They are the closest one can get to actual classic Russian AKM's since they are built on Russian-supplied machinery.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
BigG-n-Tn

AKaholic #: 110962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verg_6
Please stop spreading misinformation, it keeps newbies from experiencing actually decent guns without breaking their bank.
Your experience is not everyone elses. I gambled on theirs and lost.

"How determined to die do ya have to be to keep whacking yourself in the head after the first 30 or so ain't gettin' the job done?" - KernelKrink

Click Here: I Sell Exotic Self-Defense Ammo
Tennessee Carry.org
BigG-n-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Scott7891

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG-n-Tn
+1, Century-MADE products are hit and miss. It is all up to the buyer if they want to take the gamble of getting a lemon, but you usually get what you pay for.

When I was an AK newbie, I did not go for what the cheapest AK I could afford right away and this is coming from a college student with no steady income stream. I did my research, saved up, and bought a custom, quality-made AK (for $500) that I still own to this day, nary a problem ever since I have had it years later.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Verg_6

AKaholic #: 106747

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG-n-Tn
Many more have 'gambled' getting a WASR and came out winners. The problems you experienced are hardly an issue anymore. If you were talking about Century-made products, I could understand. But, this is not the case. As has been said, the whole "Anything that isn't an Arsenal and/or is below $800 is shit" spiel is seriously old, and, quite frankly, bullshit.

Last edited by Verg_6; 12-08-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Verg_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Pathfinder

AKaholic #: 156699

For what it's worth and I am no Ak expert on any level I bought an ATI Ak referred to in the OP.

I paid a little over $600 and have put about 1K rds through it.

I also own a Polytech (stamped receiver etc.) which I have put about 8K rds through.

I perceive virtually no difference between these guns.

Again I am only a user and not an expert on this platform but thus far out of the box it seems a decent gun.

I'm not here to argue but I don't think I saw a single reply to the OP about why its a gun to stay away from.

Ed
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Scott7891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder
For what it's worth and I am no Ak expert on any level I bought an ATI Ak referred to in the OP.

I paid a little over $600 and have put about 1K rds through it.

I also own a Polytech (stamped receiver etc.) which I have put about 8K rds through.

I perceive virtually no difference between these guns.

Again I am only a user and not an expert on this platform but thus far out of the box it seems a decent gun.

I'm not here to argue but I don't think I saw a single reply to the OP about why its a gun to stay away from.

Ed
I did. If you read the second post you would have read that the ATI is not truly milled. A true milled AK, and I own one, should not have rivets and the ATI one does to hold the rear trunnion in place. There are also no lightening cuts outside of the magwell.

To me that raises a red flag in the durability of the receiver and if that is the case if they have to use rivets in the rear trunnion why are there no rivets in the front trunnion? Is the receiver safe enough to be the trunnion like on a true milled AK? You have 1k rounds so far, great, do you think it will last up to the 8k rounds on your Polytech factory made gun? Also you know its bad when Atlantic Firearms trashes their own product they are selling and recommends something else over it. They also no longer carry it for a reason.

Last edited by Scott7891; 04-20-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Enraged Gecko
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156919

If you want a high-quality milled receiver that isn't assembled from typical Cold War era leftovers and poor quality compliance parts, the only real options available are Arsenal's M-7 lineup (or a Clinton era SLR-101 high cap) and the Norinco Type 56. Due to the sheer expense, most nations went to the AKM pattern stamped guns in the 60s. For stamped, there are a myriad of possibilities in the mid-to-high grade range. Just be cautious of what you buy.
Enraged Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

The ATI milled receiver has gotten good reports. Appears to be solidly built and though it has screws in the rear trunnion this is nothing to be concerned about IMHO.. Just a choice they made for production ease. The kits they used for the builds are Russian AKM. ATI imported many Russian AKM kits and built the milled kits with some and are reported to be building stamped Russian AKM's as well. They also distributed a lot of the kits to Copes and Atlantic who sold them some months ago.
I do not own an ATI but reporting what I have read on the various sites. Pretty fair price.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Pathfinder

AKaholic #: 156699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891
I did. If you read the second post you would have read that the ATI is not truly milled. A true milled AK, and I own one, should not have rivets and the ATI one does to hold the rear trunnion in place. There are also no lightening cuts outside of the magwell.

To me that raises a red flag in the durability of the receiver and if that is the case if they have to use rivets in the rear trunnion why are there no rivets in the front trunnion? Is the receiver safe enough to be the trunnion like on a true milled AK? You have 1k rounds so far, great, do you think it will last up to the 8k rounds on your Polytech factory made gun? Also you know its bad when Atlantic Firearms trashes their own product they are selling and recommends something else over it. They also no longer carry it for a reason.
This is what was missing from your very first response. Had the information you provide here been available I would never have questioned anything.

So thank your for a more refined response to the OP and subsequently me.

All that being said...... while 1K rds isn't a real test of the guns ultimate quality its a rather good start. As for the Polytech.... well again it seems to do just fine post 8K so I'm not sure what else i can expect from it.

I guess my expectations for my AK's are that they are low maintenance, run flawlessly and be effective under 200yds. So far so good with these 2.

Ed
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote