Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Mosin Nagants

Old 11-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
jasonbourne

AKaholic #: 83493
Default Mosin cleaning

Hey guys, sorry I've been away so long but having alot of trouble with the computer, along with some other issues. I'm looking for advice on the best cleaning fluid to use on my Mosin Nagant 91-30 rifle. I've been using Hoppes, Remington bore cleaner, and windex with ammonia, but no matter how long I let the barrel sit with the cleaning stuff in it, it never seems to come clean and I use dozens of patches along with bore brushes. Any suggestions? Thanks!
jasonbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
jasonbourne

My apologies, folks. I'm seeing that there are many posts here which discuss cleaning the Mosin but I've been away for so long that I did not realize how popular a subject this is. I will understand if I don't get any replies as it is my responsibility to read the posts and learn from them.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
nirvana

AKaholic #: 7078

If the bore has pitting, "frosting," and any other type of rust induced wear, its never going to get clean, ever. The pits, and micro pits hold dirt in them, and each time you clean them, a little more will come out.

However, each time you shoot, you pack them back full of crud again. The only bore, mosin or otherwise, that will stop getting patches dirty, is a shiny one. Your teeth work the same way: once you get a cavity, it continues to get worse because it never gets fully clean.

Basically, clean it until you are comfortable with how the patches come out. I flush the barrel with steaming hot water, run solvent and brushes through, follow with more hot water, and then patches. On some guns, I am happy with a light grey color. Run two or three patches through at once, that will help a little bit too.
nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
jasonbourne

Thanks so much for your reply nirvana, I think my Mosin is actually looking betternow that I've let the barrel soak in some cleaning solution. You're right about the pits and micro pits, hopefully there are none in my barrel but it is looking much better.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
mosinutty
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 9812

Sounds like you are cleaning correctly jason. I run a couple of wet Windex patches down the bore then scrub the bolt face with Windex. Then I clean normally and have never had any issues. My Dad and I use a home made gun solvent called Ed's Red. You can Google it and get the recipe. We mixed one batch going on 3 years ago and still have allot left over. I have several Mosins and have yet to get a clean patch out of one. I did attempt to get a clean patch out of my 91/30 but gave up after a week.

Ed's Red recipe.
1-part Dexron GM transmission fluid.
1-part kerosene.
1-part mineral spirits.
1-part acetone.

Being that it is equal parts you can mix as much as you want. We mixed ours in a 5 gallon bucket then transferred the contents to a couple of large glass jugs. If you don't have glass you can store it in a metal container. It will eat its way through plastic eventually. I only use this solvent to clean my old surplus rifles. Do not use it on any firearms that have plastic or polymer in their construction due to the Acetone!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
jasonbourne

thanks for reply mosinnutty! i appreciate you and the others in these forums who are willing to help out the new folks and share your experiences. sounds like a good recipe, although from what you're saying i should probly not try to store up a batch of it for very long eh?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
bart
or current resident

AKaholic #: 5014

guys,try this out.ive got them clean before with good ole no.9 till the patches come out about clean as there going to get.then i use J-B non-enbedding bore cleaning compound.(i know sounds dorky).its a paste that Brownells sells.it still takes some work but it will cut through.just remember to keep running a solvent patch every so often.its worked for both my 8mm and 54R guns.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
mosinutty
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 9812

You can store it forever, but not in a plastic container. The acetone will eventually melt the plastic. I work in a lab and was able to snag a couple of 1 gallon glass hexane jugs.

I've used the JB bore paste, really good stuff!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
bart
or current resident

AKaholic #: 5014

the other really strong copper removers are sweets 7.62 and montana x-treme copper killer .50 bmg speical formula.seriously open a window or use the crap outside both have a very strong amonia smell. the jb bore paste will get you into the copper and the 7.62 will pull the copper out.im talkin about patches dripping with blue shit!!!or use a nylon brush this shit will eat bronze or copper ones.short of ultrasonic cleaning theres not much better.the 7.62 will etch a stainless bore or a chrome bore so dont leave it sit in them for more than a couple minuets.get it in froth it up and use clean patches followed by #9.keep doin it till theres no more blue patches and you know youve got it.lots of my barrels shoot better when they have some copper in them.the groupes tighten up and the barrel takes a "set" and then you leave the copper build up until groupes open up usually hundereds to a thousand rounds.
there you have it 3 excelent products found from personal experience to get the sludge out of your nagant or anything that shoots copper jacket bullets.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
RiverRatMatt

AKaholic #: 155094

Is it all that important to clean with more than a few windex patches or Hoppe's #9? Functionally clean is a hallmark of a military rifle, at least of this grade, isn't it?
RiverRatMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Varokhâr

AKaholic #: 155161

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatMatt
Is it all that important to clean with more than a few windex patches or Hoppe's #9? Functionally clean is a hallmark of a military rifle, at least of this grade, isn't it?
Normally, that's how I clean mine after range time. A few patches with Hoppe's or some #9 on a bore snake for a couple of passes. I shoot mil-surp ammunition almost all of the time, so the Hoppe's takes care of the mercuric salts as well.
"The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside."
- Thomas Paine

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna - God, Honor, Fatherland
Varokhâr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Rollthelosingdice
Just Like You

AKaholic #: 158581
Angry

I got pitting in my barrel like hell, never comes clean. I read online that this gun cleaner gel called "wonder blue", I believe it can remove the carbon inside those pits. I ordered some today, can't wait to see what it can do. I guess your suppose to apply it, leave in it for 20 minutes and run patches through, rinse, and repeat. Heres the website,

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunCleaner.html
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable."

- H.L. Mencken
Rollthelosingdice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
neoknight88

AKaholic #: 155175

I just use Sweets 7.62 cleaner. It's 5% ammonia, so it doesn't smell as good as Hoppe's, but it works. My bore looks much nicer than when I first got the rifle. Of course, I'm pretty anal about cleaning my firearms, so my results may come more from the fact that I will spend 2 hours cleaning the bore.

If being a winner in nature's struggle for survival is selfish, does being extinct make you an altruist?

Sic Vis Pacem, Para Bellum. If you want peace, prepare for War.
neoknight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
bubbazan68
black honda

AKaholic #: 3654

did this on a fuzzy rust sewer pipe of a M28-30
i got once
and got it nice and clean

http://www.frfrogspad.com/copclean.pdf

You can lead a Human to knowledge. but you can’t make him think.
bubbazan68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
AKMStoy

AKaholic #: 159260

I just picked one up and thought the cosmoline would come out easier using the usual cleaning sovents. I'd try some paint thinner or like old days gasoline. Darn cosmoline was like wax so the solvents alone weren't doing the trick and the way the barrel tappers inside it trashes the brush not allowing it to scrub down the back end. If you haven't used some made for cosmoline cleaners then I figure you still have some in there since with hoppes #9 copper solvent you can keep running patches through but you are mostly waxing the barrel with the patch only picking up a little of the cosmoline. Darn stuff is like bee's wax and I wouldn't doubt something like wax was added to the cosmoline. Sure shines nice when you are getting close to getting it all out with the thick waxy stuff in there. Anyway good luck with the cleaning. Take care with some of those cleaners near the wood.
AKMStoy is offline   Reply With Quote