Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Old 10-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
JTEXX53
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 93064
Default Converting Norinco SKS to accept high capacity mags

I have a mint Norinco SKS purchased NIB in the early 90's. I need opinions guys.
Would you covert it to accept high cap mags or just leave it in original configuration. How diffucult is it to modify, I'd prefer it to be able to accept AK mags not duckbill mags. I don't have gunsmithing skills or tools. Can this be done and if done by a GS will the expense out weigh the actual value of the weapon? I do have an MAK 90. What ya think? Thanks!!
JT
JTEXX53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Why do folks insist on degrading the reliability of the SKS by sticking a "high cap mag" on it?

You can achieve a greater rate of fire with the integral 10 rounder over any "high cap" you might employ.

Buy a SKS-D or SKS-M if you want "high cap" capability.

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Leave it alone. Buy one of the Chinese SKS rifles already converted if ya want something that takes AK mags.
KernelKrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
mosinutty
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 9812

Like Krink said, If you want a high cap SKS get one that is already converted. I have both. One option would be to set one up to accept the duckbill Tapco mag's which I have found to operate flawlessly. All that is needed is to open up the mag well portion of the wood stock with an electric sander or file. The Tapco 20 round mags are a hair thicker than the 10 round factory mag. This way you can easily switch back and forth between the original and Tapco mag.
The factory 10 round is called "non-detachable". But can easily be removed and replaced by removing the trigger group. Buy one Tapco mag and give it a try. If you don't like it put the original back in. You remove so little wood that no one would notice in it's original configuration.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
JTEXX53
Veteran Member

I think KK made a good point. Most of the reponses were pretty much what I expected. You read how many people have trouble with stripper clips, which if they worked easily would be the answer.
What would you guys recommend to make them easier to work with. Any simple adjustments or lubrication and flexing techniques of the stripper clip, on the insertion. I think just using them more would help but many seem to have the same problem with them.
Thanks
JT
Old 10-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEXX53
I think KK made a good point. Most of the reponses were pretty much what I expected. You read how many people have trouble with stripper clips, which if they worked easily would be the answer.
What would you guys recommend to make them easier to work with. Any simple adjustments or lubrication and flexing techniques of the stripper clip, on the insertion. I think just using them more would help but many seem to have the same problem with them.
Thanks
JT
This is why you train on your platform.

You are going to have nothing but trouble if you expect perfection w/o any experience.

The stripper clips don't need fixin' - just the training regimen.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
zteknik
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 73014

i had one that took the ak mags-an absolute POS!!
mag fell out every 3rd shot-got pod and traded it for a m44-i think i made out on the deal!!the guy was a norinco nut and wanted it instead if the izzy-go figure!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
Firefly
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 10932

Yeah ,the stripper clips work great.A little bit of practice and you'll love 'em and realize that you can rely on them.Its real simple. .I have 6 Tapco 20 rounders that function very well but are cumbersome to change out.(I keep them as back ups)
Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
JTEXX53
Veteran Member

With experience, reloading should be a fast smooth transition with stripper clips but as said, training and experience with your platform, will solve the problem. I finally live in an area I can shoot quite frequently w/o hassles. My SKS probably has less than 200 rnds through it. The SKS and my my MAK 90 are two rifles, I will never trade or sell. I just have a lot of AK magazines 10-12.
Not high end rifles but in crunch time they will always perform for you. What can you physically do to new stripper clips to make them work better though(like using a dremel tool to the lips of the stipper clips so the feed better? Thanks guys!
JT

Last edited by JTEXX53; 10-03-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
zteknik
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 73014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEXX53
With experience, reloading should be a fast smooth transition with stripper clips but as said, training and experience with your platform, will solve the problem. I finally live in an area I can shoot quite frequently w/o hassles. My SKS probably has less than 200 rnds through it. The SKS and my my MAK 90 are two rifles, I will never trade or sell. I just have a lot of AK magazines 10-12.
Not high end rifles but in crunch time they will always perform for you. What can you physically do to new stripper clips to make them work better though(like using a dremel tool to the lips of the stipper clips so the feed better? Thanks guys!
JT
i would only polish them with a dremel and not remove any metal-it would weaken the clip
since the clips are steel and so are the bullet casings(although laquer coated)
your going to experience binding-too bad they dont make those clips in brass
and brass cased x39 is pricy
i usualy put a couple drops of oil on them and there good to go
Old 10-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
martin08

AKaholic #: 31229

No problem at all converting your standard Chinese (or any other) to accept modified "Duck-bill-less" Tapco hi-cap mags. Just this year, a product called the SKS-magadapter was developed and it is ultra reliable.

Look here for details and testimonials. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=65.0

I converted my own to take these mags, and also incorporated a Scthian Extended Mag release. Shown here:

Although this gun does have the SKS-M thumbhole stock, it is really just a standard SKS converted to take Hi-cap, quick detach mags. It's really easy, and many people are now doing it.

This is much safer than trying to convert to AK mags. No receiver milling is needed.
martin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin08
Although this gun does have the SKS-M thumbhole stock, it is really just a standard SKS converted to take Hi-cap, quick detach mags. It's really easy, and many people are now doing it.

This is much safer than trying to convert to AK mags. No receiver milling is needed.
I hope you guys are adding appropriate 922r parts.

Just inserting a "non sporting magazine" (11 or more round capacity) brings your SKS into violation if you've not installed them.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
martin08

AKaholic #: 31229

Yes. A US operating rod and piston is needed to achieve the ten or less in my configuration. If you are going to use an aftermarket stock and handguard, then those will fill out the 922(r) requirement.

Important point! Thanks for the reminder.
martin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
JTEXX53
Veteran Member

Decided since its still virtually a new rifle, to leave it as is. If I have to have an SKS with a hi-cap mag, I'll purchase a beater. There's too many other weapons, I'd prefer to add to my collection at this point. I really have enough now to start a small war! Thanks for the advice on stripper clips.
JT
Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
camaro1509
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 147889

really other than the tapco mags or sporter with thumbhole they are totally unreliable with 30 rds, all the mags are cheap n junk. i got an SKS at 12, they might be more accurate but not a ak47
camaro1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
King Ghidora

AKaholic #: 155887

I know this is a zombie post but I have to add that my converted SKS has been nothing short of perfect for going on 20 years. I have had very, very few problems and all of them were related to one batch of bad ammo. Norincos can work very well with the duckbill mags if you use the right mags. I bought all of mine when I bought my rifle, which was right before the AWB. I bought nothing but USA brand mags. Not just made in USA. They were USA brand mags. I have 30's, 20's and 15's and every one of them works perfectly. I hear the Tapcos work well now. I couldn't say since I bought so many way back when that I've never needed any more. In fact I sold several at one point because I had so many.

The thing about a conversion is you are legally bound to do the 922r compliance modifications. AFAIK no one has actually been arrested or even hassled about that law but it is on the books and if you're smart you'll make the changes. It isn't that hard to do it. That way they can't come back on you some day and take your rifle from you.
King Ghidora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #17
JTEXX53
Veteran Member

Is yours a conventional Norinco SKS with internal 10 round magazine, that you modded to accept duckbill extended round mags? I'm still kicking my self for selling my Paratrooper that had been retrofitted with a Tapco folding stock, that accepted duckbill mags. The scope was pretty much useless in my opinion but the rifle had no problems. I sold it for $275 about 4 years ago and just bought more ammo. I do still have a stock Norinco SKS and a Norinco MAK 90, so the MAK covers my need for high capacity mags, it's getting ready to have conventional AK wood stock furniture installed. I still want a Draco AK!
JT