Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
blueorb

AKaholic #: 52872
Default Romanian AK-47 muzzle brake

I currently have a Romanian Ak-47 WASR that does not have a muzzle brake. I would like to have one installed, however, I have a few questions as to how to proceed.

1) Are there certain types of brakes that I need to focus on? Or can I just search for AK-47 brakes and pick one I like the most? Do different style brakes perform differently?

2) I assume this would be an install best performed by a gunsmith (vs a do-it-yourself at home install?). How much would this install usually run?

Any other suggestions or things I should know?

Thanks
blueorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate

AKaholic #: 5678

If you help yourself, you'll be better off.

1) Does your WASR have a muzzle nut or a bare muzzle?

If it's got a muzzle nut, all you have to do is remove it and install any US-made muzzle device you like. So long as it's threaded 14x1LH (the standard AK thread pitch), it'll work fine.

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Well different things are done to different WASR's to keep the muzzle from being threaded. If the threads have been turned down the thread size you can use will be smaller than standard for an AK. Also you need to know if there is a plunger in the front sight base to lock the muzzle brake. The size of the threads may limit your choice of muzzle devices. Some muzzle brakes are just for looks. Some make recoil worse. Some can help a bit but an AK doesn't have a lot of recoil anyway. If the rifle is accurate the way it is you may not want to mess with hanging things on the end of the barrel.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Utga Schleigle
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 8480

First post a picture of your muzzel.

Lets see what extaclty what the muzzel end looks like.

Then what were you thinking to put on.

muzzel brake - flash hider - cannon muzzel brake

are their any local loco laws do you have to deal with

based on loco laws - thread or high temo silver sodder or blind pinn or spot weld

spot welded - could be a slipp on or threaded?

Lotza of choices out there - shop around.

***This DOES NOT constitute GOOD or SANE legal - professional gunsmithing - psychiatric - CPA - MD - gardening advice. Please contactact qualified professional in their respective specialties.*** Go ahead mix and match professionals with what ever problem you have??? That would be funney!!!!!
Utga Schleigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Dan FS71
ΑΩIs
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 54259

Par?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utga Schleigle

[/IMG]
Dan FS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
blueorb

I really have no clue about having threads or a muzzle nut or whatever. I'm a newbie with this Ak stuff.
I am pretty sure I want something like this Ak 74 style muzzle brake:

http://www.veriforcetactical.com/tac...cessories/605/

Here are some pics of my muzzle:

As far as I am aware there are no loco laws that I need to be concerned about.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
blueorb

" Posted by allesennogwat - Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Well different things are done to different WASR's to keep the muzzle from being threaded. If the threads have been turned down the thread size you can use will be smaller than standard for an AK. Also you need to know if there is a plunger in the front sight base to lock the muzzle brake. The size of the threads may limit your choice of muzzle devices. Some muzzle brakes are just for looks. Some make recoil worse. Some can help a bit but an AK doesn't have a lot of recoil anyway. If the rifle is accurate the way it is you may not want to mess with hanging things on the end of the barrel."

Just re-read this post. How does one know what brake is of any use vs something that makes it worse? How about that AK-74 style brake I posted? My Ak is accurate as it stands. I certainly do not want to mess with the accuracy. I just like the looks but I can get past that if I have to.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Utga Schleigle
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 8480

LOOKs standard to me. Push plunger in and unscrew - left hand twisty. Maybe a little oil on the threads at tip of muzzel.

If will not turn off "backwards threaded - then maybe soak in penitrating oil over night - or it has been high heat silver soldered on fir some legal import reason. {I see some brass or silver stuff in threads at ti of muzzel}

***This DOES NOT constitute GOOD or SANE legal - professional gunsmithing - psychiatric - CPA - MD - gardening advice. Please contactact qualified professional in their respective specialties.*** Go ahead mix and match professionals with what ever problem you have??? That would be funney!!!!!
Utga Schleigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
knall
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5181

Looks like what you have is a "muzzle nut" its just a protector for the threads.
All ya gotta do is push in the pin at the top....then unscrew the thing. Its REVERSE THREAD, so pretend your trying to tighten a regular nut.... it should come right off.

I will trade you a "slant break" for your "muzzle nut"
knall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
PMELTECH

AKaholic #: 8814

It appears you have a thread protector non your muzzle and it is tack welded on. I had the same exact thing on the one I own. As you can see from the pics, the tack weld is on the bottom of the thread protecting (yes, it should be threaded) muzzle cap and the bottom of the front sight base. The tack weld is not too deep so I took a hacksaw to the welded junction between the sight base and cut down less than 1/16 inch to break the weld. I pushed the little plunger on the topside of the barrel in and turned off the muzzle cap. It took about two minutes. Just be sure to install a "Made in USA" muzzle device. I have the TAPCO AK-74 style brake on mine. It works pretty good in my humble opinion. I just need to touch up with some black Duracoat.
PMELTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
Etek
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 2223

PMELTECH is spot on.

Cut the weld, press in the locking plunger and unscrew the muzzle nut clockwise.

I use an AK-74 'Style' brake on my WASR. Get one with all the holes and it may well improve accuracy. It did on mine.

Teddy Roosevelt

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system but too early to shoot the bastards. "

-C. Wolfe
Etek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
blueorb

when you guys screw your muzzle brake on do you use any loctite? Red maybe?

And you literally just screw it on?? That's it?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Etek
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 2223

The locking plunger locks the muzzle attachment.

Teddy Roosevelt

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system but too early to shoot the bastards. "

-C. Wolfe
Etek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
motorhead
EVIL GENIUS

AKaholic #: 6093

it's supposed to be slightly loose. they have a tendency to seize. no loctite, especially red. i use a little nevr-seize.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote