Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Jeepranch

AKaholic #: 41536
Default Polish Radom made PPS 43

Managed to get a look at this elusive beast yesterday. Workmanship good, I like the way they did the work on the semi auto conversion. Chrome bore, good considering the ammo and the US made ones are not. If they can be had, Id buy one, especially at some of the prices Ive seen. Havent shot one yet, may be able to do that next weekend or sooner. Ill post the results.
Jeepranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

Jeepranch - I have had an intrest in this pistol for several months - a local gun shop sells them for $450 apiece, and one can order them direct from I.O. thru anFFL., for a good price. The gun shop that I visited in Lakeland FL had ordered eight of them. I looked at one right after they got their first shipment of four. I thought it was well made and robust. Seems to me it would make a good short range pistol, and the 35 round magazines are a strong selling point. There were people purchaseing these guns and that particular shop is probably sold out of their eight ordered guns already. In about 6 to 9 months if still available then I may purchase one, but I am also interested in a High Pointe Carbine and/or the new EMF JR carbine. The PPS 43 would however be a good buy and a firearm with a definate purpose inso far as having firepower and portability in a carbine like pistol.
Disburse-Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Jeepranch

Managed to shoot one. I was impressed. I gobbled up surplus polish and yugo ammo without a miss. Trigger not too bad, not too good either. Accurate at 50 feet anyway. With the cheap ammo, attractive truck gun or other? Now to find a small bolt action in 7.62x25
Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Ermac

AKaholic #: 51965

Can you undue the spot welds on the stock to make it a SBR? It's useless to me without a stock. They should have imported a PPSH41 instead.
Ermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Jeepranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermac
Can you undue the spot welds on the stock to make it a SBR? It's useless to me without a stock. They should have imported a PPSH41 instead.
best route would be to get one of the parts kits from royal tiger for 69 bucks if you sbr it, they welded too much to use unless you are quite the grinding artist
Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Ermac

AKaholic #: 51965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepranch
best route would be to get one of the parts kits from royal tiger for 69 bucks if you sbr it, they welded too much to use unless you are quite the grinding artist
I look at one up close and it didn't look like it was that much weld. The stock was even a bit wobelly.
Ermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
Jeepranch

Quote:
I look at one up close and it didn't look like it was that much weld. The stock was even a bit wobelly.

Ive seen several of these now, and the amount of welding varies considerably
Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Robert Cumming

AKaholic #: 62289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepranch
Ive seen several of these now, and the amount of welding varies considerably
Does anyone have advice on removing the folding stock since it is legally useless with gun configured as a pistol ? Mine has no visible spot welds anywhere on stock and the stock release button on top of the receiver is permanently fixed so button won't release to push down on the folding stock receiver cross bar lock catch. There are no externally visible welds showing around the outside of the stock release button on top of the receiver . What is best way to carefully remove the entire folding stock with minimal receiver or folding stock damage ?
Robert Cumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Jaimenv
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cumming
Does anyone have advice on removing the folding stock since it is legally useless with gun configured as a pistol ? Mine has no visible spot welds anywhere on stock and the stock release button on top of the receiver is permanently fixed so button won't release to push down on the folding stock receiver cross bar lock catch. There are no externally visible welds showing around the outside of the stock release button on top of the receiver . What is best way to carefully remove the entire folding stock with minimal receiver or folding stock damage ?
I will be getting one soon from a local dealer that has one left. The one I will be getting, is like yours, it does not have any welds on the folding stock mechanism. The dealer told me it has a cross pin installed that locks the stock in the folding position.

The little time I had to look it up, I kind of figure the cross pin is on the top of the receiver at the rear where the button to push down to release the stock is. The cross pin can sort of be seen in this picture from Atlantic arms (the little picture), you have to zoom in to it.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct883.aspx

Sorry I can't help you on how to remove the stock yet, once I get mine I will find out, like you I don't see a need for the stock to be on the gun if it can't be used till the stamp for the SBR is had.

From my point of view the stock is in the way when actuating the bolt/charging handle as it is, folded.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
dix2111

AKaholic #: 7063

I just picked mine up today. I forgot I was even on the waiting list. I got the last one on the shelf at center fire but from what I was told at inter ordnance they are getting more soon if not already.
I haven't shot it but I am i impressed with the appearance of it. There isn't a weld on the stock and the stock fits real tight
The stock release button is riveted to the top of the receiver and there is no spring on the stock release lock so even if you drilled the rivets you would have to mess with it a little to get it to function. Not too hard by the looks of it but i wouldn't bother to modify it legally or otherwise. It's just not worth the prison time to do it illegally or the 200 bucks to do it legally.

I am a little concerned about the trigger mech. I sure would like to get spare parts for the trigger mech because I bet that would be the first thing to break.

you also have to be careful not to slam the bolt home on an unloaded chamber. I did it a few (many) times and could see some very slight deformation of the bolt.

It came with a cleaning kit and extra recoil buffer made out of rubber. The original in the gun is leather. I wonder how often it needs to be replaced?

Everything looks new. I heard these were from military surplus parts even thought the web-sight says they are new.

The mags were new but some were forced matched to another serial number so I bet they are surplus.

all together I love it for it's historical value and it's just a cool looking gun but subtract its historical factor and coolness and it's on the same level as a tek-9 or cobray. I don't expect it to last more than a tin of surplus polish ammo.

Well worth the $350 for me but I am skeptical is more than a super cool toy.

great job on io for getting that on the market.
dix2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
Robert Cumming

AKaholic #: 62289

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix2111
I just picked mine up today. I forgot I was even on the waiting list. I got the last one on the shelf at center fire but from what I was told at inter ordnance they are getting more soon if not already.
I haven't shot it but I am i impressed with the appearance of it. There isn't a weld on the stock and the stock fits real tight
The stock release button is riveted to the top of the receiver and there is no spring on the stock release lock so even if you drilled the rivets you would have to mess with it a little to get it to function. Not too hard by the looks of it but i wouldn't bother to modify it legally or otherwise. It's just not worth the prison time to do it illegally or the 200 bucks to do it legally.

I am a little concerned about the trigger mech. I sure would like to get spare parts for the trigger mech because I bet that would be the first thing to break.

you also have to be careful not to slam the bolt home on an unloaded chamber. I did it a few (many) times and could see some very slight deformation of the bolt.

It came with a cleaning kit and extra recoil buffer made out of rubber. The original in the gun is leather. I wonder how often it needs to be replaced?

Everything looks new. I heard these were from military surplus parts even thought the web-sight says they are new.

The mags were new but some were forced matched to another serial number so I bet they are surplus.

all together I love it for it's historical value and it's just a cool looking gun but subtract its historical factor and coolness and it's on the same level as a tek-9 or cobray. I don't expect it to last more than a tin of surplus polish ammo.

Well worth the $350 for me but I am skeptical is more than a super cool toy.

great job on io for getting that on the market.
I don't care about making the folding stock operate, I just want to know how to go about removing the useless thing on the gun as carefully as I can without messing stock or receiver up .
Robert Cumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Burnout
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 79279

I removed the useless fixed stock on mine. I think it gives it a cleaner look and also makes it lighter to boot.

To remove the stock first get a dremel with some small fiber cut-off wheels. On mine I had to grind down the welds where the stock was welded to the receiver. On the shaft that goes through the receiver where the stock pivots, they put some tack welds over the roll pins. They can be a bitch to see, but where the welds are on the collar that slides over the shaft is where the rolls pins are located (under the welds). Carefully grind each side of the collar welds and then take a punch and hammer out the pin (you only need to do one side). Next if you look inside where the folder's button goes through the receiver, at the bottom the pin is peened to hold it in place. Grind down this peened pin area just enough to where you can drive out the button/pin.

I put the shaft and pin back in the receiver after removing the stock as to not have unsightly holes in the receiver. Also the bottom of the button pin was still a tight enough fit on mine even after removing the peen that I could tap it back it and it is still holding tight.

I bought one of I.O.'s PPS-43 kits on gun broker (they sell them there as well) for $49.00. Came with 4 mags (worth the price alone), the front barrel shroud, lower receiver, bolt, recoil spring/buffer, and most of all the rear receiver section complete with spring and stock. I may register this as a SBR later then add the folder, if not at least I have some spare mags (8 total now) and some spare parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db30 023_cr_cr.jpg (94.5 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by Burnout; 12-11-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
PupSter

AKaholic #: 93630

Quote:
Can you undue the spot welds on the stock to make it a SBR? It's useless to me without a stock. They should have imported a PPSh41 instead.
They couldn't import the PPSh-41 as a pistol, that's how they get to keep the original barrel (chrome lined)... IF you get a welded stock one, they can be undone, tho it's not made to be easy to do, or get a cheap parts kit and use the parts from that.
Now, that said, the newest and improved ones have fixed several issues AND the stock is not welded closed. They just didn't drill out the top of the receiver for the push button to use the stock, a rather easy fix if doing a SBR thing. Need a drill, punch and spring.
Some place I have seen good pictures of this and I can't find them now to link them here. IF I do find them again, I'll post them here to show the difference and the little that needs to be changed to make it work.
Since Mr Obama told us about the existence of Zombies, (Feb 2010) when he referred to a Navy "CorpseMan". Now this Harvard educated lawyer would never pull a "Bushism" so he had to be referring to walking undead, and not a corpsman, Right? So I figure, we must need to be ready...
http://images.quickblogcast.com/0/1/...gSmall.JPG?a=1

Last edited by PupSter; 12-28-2010 at 12:28 PM.
PupSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
PupSter

This is a post by PolishRon on GunBoard, RE: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-got-one/page3

Here are 2 pictures comparing an original Polish stock assy. still attached to a piece of cut receiver from a parts kit and the newest version of Polish made pps43-c as imported by IO. (it came with a update for the manual dated September 2010)
In operation, the original SMG weapon's stock is a semi-permanent assembly. It is not to be dissembled from the receiver. To open the stock (original SMG) you just pull upward on it and it will unlock and unfold, the locking button depresses without assistance into the receiver as you do this. When fully unfolded, it will lock into position.
To fold the stock from the open position, you must depress the button manually with your finger or thumb and at the same time, fold the stock upward. The button is spring loaded thus keeping the workings tight in the folded position and locked in the open position. With no opening for the button to move, the new semi-auto pps43-c's stock is fixed in it's folded position and has no movement whatsoever.

First picture shows original parts kit receiver piece with stock parts on the left and Radom pps43-c semi auto on right side. Hard to see but there is room around the button on the original receiver piece for the button to be depressed. On the newest models of semi auto pps43-c, the hole was only drilled large enough for the shaft to pass through, not the button.

In the second photo, once again you will see the cut original receiver/stock on the left and new semi auto on the right. Same intact and unwelded internal stock parts on both. When originally made and assembled, the end of the stock release button shaft passes through a hole in the bar on the very bottom and peened over for a permanent installation. If you look close at both, where the shaft comes down through the top of the receiver, the original has a spring around the shaft and the semi does not. It is the only piece missing in the semi stock assy. besides a hole in the top of the receiver large enough to allow the button to be depressed and the stock freed from it's fixed position.
Since Mr Obama told us about the existence of Zombies, (Feb 2010) when he referred to a Navy "CorpseMan". Now this Harvard educated lawyer would never pull a "Bushism" so he had to be referring to walking undead, and not a corpsman, Right? So I figure, we must need to be ready...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
red caddy

AKaholic #: 155874
Default PPS-43 range report

Well, I just got to shoot my new pair of '43's.

When I got them, the first thing I did was a good cleaning and inspection, all looked well, fit and finish was about what I expected. The FCG was a bit loose, pin fit was floppy and the sear/hammer interface wasn't what I expected, but the trigger pull was fairly smooth and light for a "machine pistol". With great expectations, I stepped out the back door...

I lit 'er up with some bulgarian millsurp and had several FTF and FTE. I tried the mags marked "test fired" first, and then all 8 mags, in both guns. Neither would run more than 4 or 5 rounds without a stoppage. Most of the FTFire showed a light strike, but all such rounds fired fine in my CZ-52.

When I tried to open the bolt, after a misfire, it was very stiff, (bang the bolt handle on the edge of the bench, stiff.) The rounds seemed to be stuck in the chamber. I cleaned the chamber several times to no avail. I noticed a change in recoil (less) with several rounds. but chalked this up to the Bulgier millsurp ammo, although, I've fired hundreds of rounds, from the same lot, thru my CZ without a hiccup. I also had a few "doubles" and one "tripple", scary stuff.

I opened a sealed can of Polish milsurp and had the same problems, FTfeed, FTfire & FTE's.
After about 60 rounds, and several cleanings, the problems persisted. I tried about a half box of factory S&B, they fed better, but still glitched. Hand fed, one at a time, (snap the rim under the extractor, slowly close the bolt ) both guns shot fine, holding ~ 3 in. @ 100 Yd. ( I really like this weapon, despite the problems, but I need it to be 100% reliable before I start changing out barrels and such)

I tweeked one mag, (feed lips) and stoned all the sharp edges, no joy. all the mags seem to fit fine with only a little wiggle.(pushing forward or pulling back, on the mag seem to have no effect) Several DNF rounds showed marks from the pick up lip on the bolt, slamming into the rim. WTFO?

Both extractor springs seem overly strong but I can't seem to figure out how to remove them to clean/deburr. (might be part of the problem?) Would someone take me to school please?

When I got home, I noticed that both the S&B and Starline brass have a very pronounced chamfer on the casehead rim, that none of the milsurp has. Both the Polish and the Bulgie have a very flat, almost sharp, rim. Anybody else ever seen this?

All in all, a pretty rough start for 2 new guns. I could use a few tips on the problem solving trail.

Have any of you guys had similar problems? and what did you do to fix it. Calling all the smart pigs to the firing line, please!

Thanks for the help, Paul
red caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
red caddy

AKaholic #: 155874

While I'm somewhat reluctant to bump a thread this old, I'm gonna.
I'm still having the problems with my PPS-43-C's

Is there any help availible out there?

Thanks, Paul
red caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
PupSter

Have no problems with any of my PPS-43c's now. and none with the newer ones I have gotten since this thread was active.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Dave Baird

AKaholic #: 162049

Still having problems with the hard primers, fellas. I tried a longer forward firing pin but it didn't accomplish much. Today I raised the bottom ends of the hammer springs to tighten that up a bit but didn't get to the range. Anyone else have any ideas that worked? The gun works like butter with Romy, but I would prefer to not have an ammo sensitive gun if I could avoid it.

Thanks, Dave
Dave Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
Bolt2bounce

AKaholic #: 14269

I think the early guns had some trouble with the short firing pins.. the newer ones had a better or improved pins, but they changed from a chrome barrel to a non chromed bore.. too bad, must have run out of military parts... the one I got was a non chromed bore and runs almost 100% with polish ammo.. sometime it will require a second drop of the firing pin, usually just when it's bump fired.. when it's slow fire it's about 99% sure fire.. B2B
Bolt2bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
shaneb1

AKaholic #: 173820

are you still having issues? I know its been a while since you posted.
shaneb1 is offline   Reply With Quote