Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
festus
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4996
Default Western Auto 220A in 308

I have a 308 on loan from a friend that needed a hundred bucks. I think it was made by Mossberg. It is a light weight bolt action in good condition. This must be end times cause it is marked, Revelation. I need to put a scope on it, I have a couple laying around. It already has the mounts installed. He also gave me 40 rounds of 150 grain rem core lok. I don't think he ever will want it back, but is his if he does, but not like in 4 years.
Anyway, what is it, and how much is it worth, and how old is it?
festus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Same as the Mossberg 800A. Made from about 1966 to about 1978.

Last edited by allesennogwat; 09-27-2009 at 09:40 AM.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
festus
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat
Same as the Mossberg 800A which I think is the same as the Western Field M780. Made from about 1966 to about 1978.

Put a Tasco wide view 4x40 on it with Millet rings, not see through, cause that's what I had laying around. Bore sighted it with a 35 yard target set up, and waiting to get to the 100 yard range to dial it in. My 1983 Gun Traders Guide lists it at 190.00, but as a Mossberg, not a revelation, so I guess deductions must be made for pedigree.
Here is the $64,000.00 question- Can I shoot military surplus 308 like S.A and other stuff safely? I still have some FAL fodder laying around.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
e-man80

AKaholic #: 9389

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus
Can I shoot military surplus 308 like S.A and other stuff safely? I still have some FAL fodder laying around.

Yes. The 7.62x51 mil spec ammo is actually supposed to have LESS chamber pressure than commercial .308 from what I've read, but I don't know how accurate that is. You should be fine.
e-man80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man80
Yes. The 7.62x51 mil spec ammo is actually supposed to have LESS chamber pressure than commercial .308 from what I've read, but I don't know how accurate that is. You should be fine.
The military pressure number is "less". The method of measurement can be different and the pressure test barrel chamber is different. Commercial ammo is usually loaded below max pressure. Military ammo is meant for modern, well maintained weapons. The miltary isn't concerned with people putting ammo in 100 year rifles like commercial ammo makers are, and a lot of military ammo is loaded to the limit. The biggest difference though is the neck diameter of the case. In some tight chambers the thicker military neck can "pinch" the bullet and cause high pressure, noted by hard extraction, bolt opening. I have found this with Remington bolt actions with tight factory SAAMI chambers and military. I don't think it will blow up though. Try some military ammo and see how hard it is to open the bolt and inspect the fired cases. Compare it to commercial ammo.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
IanMor

AKaholic #: 643

They were simple, reliable rifles. If it is in good condition, it should fire 7.62 with no problems. I have worked on several of these over the years, and I feel they are "good" rifles. "Good" meaning, safe, reliable, durable and accurate enough for their intended purpose. This is the type of gun an old farmer without much money for a fancy-schmancy Winchester would buy. Popping deer and coyotes, an occaisional woodchuck. For $100, you should be glad to have gotten it so cheap.

Go Murica!...bacon and bombs you bitch! Fuck ya!
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Mossberg 800

Notes: This rifle was originally designed by Louis Seecamp and Carl Benson in the late 1960s for Montgomery Ward to sell in their stores. Montgomery Ward decided not to sell them, but Mossberg took up the type and sold it in its various incarnations into late 1970s.

The Model 800 had a strangely-shaped S-shaped bolt handle Ė bent forward, then back. The rifle is well-made and looks good. Internally, the bolt is also unusual, having two rows of three lugs (most rifles only have one set of lugs). The extractor uses a rather short blade, but its spring is especially strong, saving space and giving the Model 800 reliable case ejection. The early versions used a walnut Monte Carlo-type half stock, with the pistol grip wrist having a plastic white cap and the buttplate having decorative white spacers. The pistol grip wrist and fore-end had impressed skip-line checkering. The pistol grip wrist also had a decorative deerís head on each side, and the fore-end had a decorative running buck on each side. The barrel was 22 inches long, with a folding leaf rear sight and a ramp front sight. The original Model 800 was built from 1966-78; original chamberings .243 Winchester and 7.62mm NATO, but more chamberings were quickly added due to customer demand. Starting in 1967, the nomenclature was changed greatly; the 7.62mm NATO version became the Model 800A, the .243 Winchester version became the Model 800B, the .22-250 version was the Model 800C, the short-lived (1968-69) .350 Remington Magnum version became the Model 800D, the also short-lived 6.5mm Remington Magnum version became the Model 800E, and the even rarer .222 Remington version (built only for a few months in 1970) became the Model 800F.

There were many variants, most of which were simple variations of stock shape or "deluxe" versions, but several need separate explanations. The Model 800AM was a shorter version of the Model 800A, with a 20-inch barrel, a straight spatulate bolt handle, and a full-length Mannlicher-type stock. Itís a rather rare variant, despite being manufactured for almost 3 years. The Model 800AVT was designed for varmint and target shooting; it has a 24-inch heavy barrel and came with bases for scope rings.

The Model 800BM is the same as the Model AM above, but with a different chambering. The Model 800BVT is also the same as the Model 800 AVT, but again with different chambering. The same is true of the Model 800C and Model 800CVT.

The Model 800V (later re-designated the Model 800VT) used an extra-heavy 24-inch barrel and came with bases for scope rings; it is similar to the Model 800AVT, BVT, and CVT, but with an even heavier, stiffer barrel made of better-quality steel.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

According to some specs I found the rifling is 12 inch twist rate not 10 inch.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
festus
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat
According to some specs I found the rifling is 12 inch twist rate not 10 inch.

Thanks for the responses everyone. This rifle is growing on me, I hope my friend doesn't want it back, but he doesn't hunt since he came back from Vietnam. The butt plate and pistol grip caps have the white band, and the wood is walnut and checkered, but no buck head pattern. He sold a broomhandle Mauser last year in 30 cal. mauser. It was a commercial model, and he got 500 bucks for it. I saw it for sale locally for 650, and only later found out it was his.
The sad thing is seeing someone with all his years of experience going through these hard times. When I say money is tight, I ain't lying.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
festus
Curio & Relic

Default Range report

The range was wet and deserted. Set up at 50 yards and started using some unknown origin surplus I had. Gun went bang, good sign. Hit target left and low. Made adjustments and kept shooting till I hit center. Moved to 100 yards, went left and high. Kept adjusting and shooting till I got close to center. Shot two commercial hunting loads, Rem 150 grain, they actually touched left and a bit high. Made final adjustment and hit center. End of story.
Took out my 22 revolver and Wyatte Earped the target at 25 yards.
Came home and cleaned both guns. The 308 got hot during shooting and loosened up some crud from the bore. Scrubbed and cleaned and still didn't get it all out. Looked inside and think there is some pitting close to the chamber but not sure. Either way, the gun shoots ok for me, not being a bench rest sniper and a lousy shot anyway, so it was a success.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
Barry

AKaholic #: 2066

I keep thinking that someday there is going to be collector interest in those house-brand firearms. A lot of them were quite nice.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #12
festus
Curio & Relic

I got it back today. After a long absence I got a call from the guy I lent money to that when he got some money wanted his gun back and I gave it back to him after I put a scope on it and fell in love with this mongrel gun. This time is final and it is mine for a hundred bucks. Shot some paper plates today too at 100 yards. Good enough for bear, hogs, and deer at my new hunting place. I like happy endings. Got my Fudd gun back. I was going to use the Hakim for the wildlife, and still may, but my 308 is back and here to stay.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
e-man80

AKaholic #: 9389

Back from the dead thread lol. Its been been a while since I've been on "the files". Good to see some familiar names.
e-man80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
cbay1951

AKaholic #: 171966

I love house brand rifles I bought one years ago that was either sears or montgomery ward, slick looking bolt action in 30/06, turned out that it was made by SIG, in switzerland.
cbay1951 is online now   Reply With Quote