Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 09-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Man with a gun...

AKaholic #: 50967
Default De-banning a Mak-90

Well I picked up a nice mint condition Mak 90 today at my local fun show, and I'm going to de ban it. I have a chinese pistol grip and am picking up a rear stock soon, and was looking for some advise for the rest.

First for the barrel. I had a slant cut muzzle break laying around and decided to see how much they has milled off the threads of the barrel. I was suprised to find that the barrel looks to still have enough meat on it to just re thread the barrel and not have to add more material. I was looking at this to do that..

http://preciseinnovationsllc.com/old...eadingkits.htm

Anybody do this and not f' it up?

Second I was checking out the front hand guard and noticed they have welded up the hole for the cleaning rod, so I figure I'll just drill it.

Maybe someone who has a Type 56S can tell me if they are blued like the Mak or do they have other finishes on them.

The next item was the front sight block, it looks like they milled away the retainer for the cleaning rod. Then I was wondering if I want to go all the way and find the correct pig sticker bayonet and FSB. I'm leaning against it as I really don't want to just have a barrel nut on there.. But it would be cool to have a more authentic chicom..

I know others have de banned their mak-90's. my question is how far have you gone to regain it's original form?
Man with a gun... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
AK74dad
Banned

AKaholic #: 20030

You need six US made parts to be 922r compliant. Replacing the FCG with a Tapco G2 is only three, you still need three more. A Tapco piston and US made
1/2x28 thread slant brake make five but that ain't six.

Replacing the PG and buttstock with chinese parts won't equal six either. You better think about a US made stock set to be legal.

Bill
AK74dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
AKbarber

AKaholic #: 11642

You can use your mags to help make it compliant. Take some steel mags and replace the follower and baseplate with US components. You can also use US made mags but there does not seem to be much positive info on these.
AKbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

You will not need a 1/2x28 muzzle device. Should be 14x1. Need a die and TAT for hat. They can be rented on line as well.
US FCG, muzzle device, gas piston and a US wooden pistol grip from Ironwood will get you good to go. Or the whole Ironwood set. A bit more money than Chinese and you must finish it yourself.
Mag parts are OK but not as permanent.
The underfolder FSB and bayo will run from $200 to $250.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
AK74dad
Banned

AKaholic #: 20030

Never seen a US made 14x1 but I guess they exist. The reason I said 1/2x28 is if the barrel was turned down to remove the original 14x1 threads, then only 1/2x28 would work.

Bill
AK74dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Man with a gun...

AKaholic #: 50967

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK74dad
Never seen a US made 14x1 but I guess they exist. The reason I said 1/2x28 is if the barrel was turned down to remove the original 14x1 threads, then only 1/2x28 would work.

Bill
I tried fitting a slant cut break over the barrel and it won't fit, which tells me I still have plenty of Material left to thread it..
Man with a gun... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Don't forget the standard AK thread is Left Hand, that site sells both LH and RH dies.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
tedbo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3825

But if he leaves the barrel alone and don't use a muzzle brake he only needs-

A count of six-
U.S. FCG (3 parts)
U.S.buttstock(1 part)
U.S. pistol grip(1 part)
U.S. handguards (knowing that the 2 pieces only counts as one)
U.S. gas piston(1 part)

Is this not correct?

And that leaves the magazines issue a moot point?

I'm on my second cat!

Never post when you're toast! (you know who you are.)
tedbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

AK47dad,

FYI - Many US made 14/1 muzzle devices. One of the most common swapoped out US arts for 922r. Many retailers have them. Copes Apex etc. etc.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
IanMor

AKaholic #: 643

I put a slant brake on my MAK 90. I picked up the die and pilot from someone on here. I can't remember. But it was easy-peasy lemon squeesy... Plenty of meat to thread it. I had to remove the FSB to drill it out for a muzzle break retention detent. No problem there either. I dont know where to get the front sight block and gas block to have a cleaning rod on it though. If anyone has links, please share. I don't care about putting a bayonette on it, but a cleaning rod would be nice. I would really encourage a nice Ironwood furniture set. Get it in a nice blond maple, and give it a nicce honey stain. Looks authenic but much higher quality wood than that crap Mao's children put on.

Go Murica!...bacon and bombs you bitch! Fuck ya!
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Lumox

AKaholic #: 19456

Now if he doesn't thread the muzzle he would only need 5 USA parts wouldn't he???

And there are pin on muzzle breaks availible that don't require threading, but that would mean the need for 6 USA parts, or does the muzzle break only count when the barrel is threaded??
Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Fortis
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 16269

^That`s what I thought too. Also doesn`t the pistol grip not count towards 922r because the Mak90 was never imported w/ one? That`s what I understand w/ the Saigas anyway.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
“The result of an irresistible freedom force meeting an immovable tyrannical object is, well, revolution." Beagle's Third Law of Governance -
WTB-`82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.

Last edited by Fortis; 09-21-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Fortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

An AK in "evil assault rifle" (standard) configuration is banned from import and 922(r) essentially states it's illegal to assemble one from more than 10 foreign parts on the list. A standard configuration AKM with a muzzle device has 16 parts on the list. To be legal, you have to keep the foreign parts count below 10, there is no requirement for a certain number of US made parts at all. Simply removing the part from the MAK90 makes the count drop, we replace the parts with US made ones so the rifle will function. 3 of the parts on the list are in the magazine, so a MAK90 all by itself without a magazine could be compliant with as little as 2 parts removed.

So, the parts count applies to what the rifle ends up as, not how it began. It is irrelevant as to whether the original rifle had a muzzle brake or a PG, if the rifle is subject to 922(r) and has them now they are counted. Pin or thread makes no difference.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #14
IanMor

Just put a US made brake on it, US furntiture,US HTS and US Gas piston and mag parts. The penalty is for "Manufacturing" a firearm. So a case could be made you personally aren't liable for anything since you are not an importer or a manufacturer. (it's your "freedom", do what you want). But if you work as many US parts into it as possible and not make it to accept a bayonet you should be in good shape.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Carne Frio

AKaholic #: 14629

Replace the furniture (3 parts) and fire control group (3 parts) and your good to go with any magazines. You can
also put a USA muzzle device on it.
Carne Frio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
ak47junky

AKaholic #: 22956

I know this has been mentioned before but 922r is the dumbest law ever.But ill abide by it to keep myself on the right side of the law. Is it a way to make people buy US made products or do they think guns are safer with US made parts that are identical to the originals?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
IanMor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47junky
I know this has been mentioned before but 922r is the dumbest law ever.But ill abide by it to keep myself on the right side of the law. Is it a way to make people buy US made products or do they think guns are safer with US made parts that are identical to the originals?
It is dumb. Many people choose not to comply. But If a person makes this choice do it with your eyes wide open. There haven't been many people charged with violating this law..... But they certainly can, and as I understand it, breaking a Federal law can have greivous consequences.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #18
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

Actually, I think 922(r) (or rather the related regulation that implements it) did us a favor as the actual law states it is illegal to "assemble a banned rifle from foreign parts". The supporting reg is what established the actual "10 parts rule". They could have said "no more than 2 parts" and been within the law as written. In that case we would have no AK builds that would be legal unless neutered.