Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 02-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
JOHN E

AKaholic #: 113
Default Arsenal SLR-105 a good rifle?

I'm looking at an Arsenal SLR-105 at a local gun shop.
http://www.arsenalinc.com/slr105.html
The price is just under $500- is this a good deal? The rifle has all matching numbers including the receiver and is very smooth in the action and trigger.
Are these converted "single stack" receivers? If so, is that a bad thing? The threads appear to be covered by a pinned on nut so it looks like an easy job to put the proper brake back on.
I guess the real question is if I should buy this or just spend a couple hundred extra and buy a new "no ban" built on an OOW receiver.
JOHN E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
GSW

AKaholic #: 3580

I saw one at a gun shop the other day. I'd say it's actually nicer looking than the milled ones. They're not converted single-stack receivers, but they didn't thread the front sight block. To use the AK-74 muzzle brake you have to remove the sight block they provided and install a threaded one.

Which one you buy is up to you. I don't own either rifle.
GSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
BulGARYan

AKaholic #: 1387

I would wait and buy the SLR-105 when it comes out in no-ban configuration. Just my opinion.
BulGARYan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
henry-krinkle

AKaholic #: 1740

Yea I just pic one up the other day at a price of 475.. I would say it's a whole lot better than my SAR-2. The fit and finish is nice alot cleaner then the Romi. The Trigger does have a tiny bit of creep in it. But all in all If anyone wanted a 5.45 rilfe I'd say this is the way to go. Plus is built on a Eastern block reciever which in my opinion is alot better that the OOW.

HK

Last edited by henry-krinkle; 05-03-2005 at 03:56 AM.
henry-krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
Mbsk01

AKaholic #: 258

-105s ARE single stack conversions. Although, it's quite hard to tell. Not really a bad thing, IMO. As the Arsenal conversions are probably still higher quality than the SAR-2s.

$500 is a fair/good price if it is a -105R. A bit high if it's not.

You will have to remove/replace the FSB, in order to add a brake. If you keep your eyes open, you can find them at a fair price 2nd hand.

IMHO, I'd buy a factory rifle, rather than a parts gun. Of course, that's what I did.
Mbsk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
Darkest2000

AKaholic #: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN E
Are these converted "single stack" receivers? If so, is that a bad thing?
Yes they are converted single stacks, I don't see why that would be a bad thing consider that it's done professionally, which it is.

Quote:
The threads appear to be covered by a pinned on nut so it looks like an easy job to put the proper brake back on.
No, the "nut" that you're looking at is actually part of the front sight block, the threads have been milled off therefore if you want a proper threaded gas block for a brake you need to replace the entire FSB.

Quote:
I guess the real question is if I should buy this or just spend a couple hundred extra and buy a new "no ban" built on an OOW receiver.
If I were you I would buy the SLR105 A1 which is the same rifle in no ban configuration, you get a real bulgarian receiver (with all proper dimples and stampings), and is a factory rifle which may have a higher perceived value than a kit gun.
Darkest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
ZOID ZODIAN

AKaholic #: 1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest2000
No, the "nut" that you're looking at is actually part of the front sight block, the threads have been milled off therefore if you want a proper threaded gas block for a brake you need to replace the entire FSB.
Actually, the threads aren't ground off; they were never there. Arsenal admitted on K-VAR's website that the politically correct SLR105's have front sight blocks that were never threaded.

Remember the 5 "G's": God, Guns, Gals, Gold, and Grub.
ZOID ZODIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
Darkest2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOID ZODIAN
Actually, the threads aren't ground off; they were never there. Arsenal admitted on K-VAR's website that the politically correct SLR105's have front sight blocks that were never threaded.
I thought I heard from somewhere that it was ground off, but I think you are right it would make more sense to use gas blocks that never was threaded to begin with.

But If that's the case, I wonder why noone has tried to thread the gas block instead of replacing it?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
ZOID ZODIAN

AKaholic #: 1468

Maybe because it's a left hand 25mm thread?

Might be a hard die to find.

Remember the 5 "G's": God, Guns, Gals, Gold, and Grub.
ZOID ZODIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:25 AM   #10
wellcraft

AKaholic #: 1169

i picked up a NIB arsenal slr105r yesterday and mine is in the no ban configuration. the barrel is threaded and the correct 74 brake is installed but can be removed. the receiver is original and not milled out to accept hi cap mags like the WASR10 that century sells. i've wanted a AK in 5.45x39 for a while but i passed on arsenal's first version that lacked the threaded barrel and correct brake because it looked retarded and wasn't original. a few weeks ago my dealer got in the no ban slr105r's and i saved my money up to get one. i paid 625 out the door for it and can't wait to get to the range. fit and finish are perfect but thats no surprise since arsenal is well known for producing one of the best AK's on the market. i'd recommend you search the net and buy the no ban like i did then you'll have a great rifle in it's original configuration. check out www.gunsamerica.com i'm sure you can find one on there or you can contact surplus city guns in feasterville, pa he has one more in stock.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #11
Darkest2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
i picked up a NIB arsenal slr105r yesterday and mine is in the no ban configuration. the barrel is threaded and the correct 74 brake is installed but can be removed. the receiver is original and not milled out to accept hi cap mags like the WASR10 that century sells.
Actually, the SLR105s have had it's mag well modified to accept double stack magazines. They were all imported with single stack mag wells and modified at Arsenal along with installation of proper number of US parts.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #12
wellcraft

AKaholic #: 1169

darkest2000, whats the story behind the slr105r? i thought these rifles were made in bulgaria? at least that's what the box says.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
ozmosis

AKaholic #: 2564
Default Love my slr 105r

My new slr 105r is my new favorite rifle, nice lines, great fit on all metal work and weighs less than my other rifles. 922 compliant parts just like my russian plum stock set, other than the "US" marks you would not be able to tell differance. I paid 515.00 total with transfer and shipping from lou Horton.
My dealer liked it so much he is going to order a few and put them up for sale also. It is night and day when you put it up to my WASR-10. And it is as good as my AK-102 clone.
ozmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:48 PM   #14
lxpony

AKaholic #: 3927

I got mine for $530 from weareguns.com.

he is a little expensive but I go to his house to pic up my purchases so I save a little $ that way....

here is a pic I took last week.. on Sat I picked up 2 more black abs mags....

lxpony is offline   Reply With Quote