Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
kanscheapskate

AKaholic #: 31918
Default Yugo grenade launcher

I Just got a grenade laucher spigot for my Yugo, had the sites already on it so I thought "Why Not?" I know its legal to use practice grenades as long as they do not go bang and people say its a hoot to shoot. Have any of you made any practice grenades for this purpuse? I figured get some tubing, maybe spin a cone on the lathe???? Or maybe there are some already on the market? Does anyone have a pic from a manual or such of just how you use the Yugo sites? I have not quite figured them out. Anyway, thanks for any help.
kanscheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
omega88

AKaholic #: 26763

I love using my M70AB2 to launch shit , I have a couple of beat up steel WW11 rifle grenades , they fit the spigot great and launch 5o to 60 yds with a standard blank , they were made for the M-1 garrand and 3006 blanks . I also welded a washer and a piece of muffler pipe from the aoto parts that fit a golf ball close , but not tight , and that launches a ordinary golf ball ( spherical projectile - non fragmenting f-2 ab2 ) 200 to 300 yards , you cant even find em . everybody comes by wants to launch grenades or f-2ab2 s , hardly ever fire bullets from my yugo anymore , ( have many other Kalashnikov varients ) . l have been contemplating making some dummy grenades from PVC pipe if I find the right size , or some other material , maybe making a bulbous front half with reducers and such . I have seen the Isreali practice grenades and yugo stuff but cant find to much available for a price cheap enough to bang em up . Word of note, the blnk cases get stuck in the chamber every once in the while ,I think they dirty up the chamber pretty good so brush it out every 5 or 6 rounds or you will have to use your boot on the bolt handle or worse . I forgot to say , I welded the washer to a spare slant break .

Last edited by omega88; 04-28-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added info
omega88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
kanscheapskate

AKaholic #: 31918

Thanks Omega, I felt like AKPete there for a while! I do a lot of fiberglass work, maybe we should make some parts?
kanscheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
omega88

I think if we can find some light weight pipe or tube that fits the grenade spigot just right , we can go from there pretty easily . Needs to kinda fit that snap ring somewhat tight .
Old 05-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
IanMor

AKaholic #: 643

22mm is the key dimension. If anyone finds some thin-walled DOM tubing with an inside diameter of 22mm let me know, I want a bunch!

I'm just a fat old guy who really enjoys hot running water, air conditioning, the internet, net-flix, an adult beverage now and then, a cigar more often than I should, a nice BBQ with friends from time to time, a wonderful family, and a job I love. It would be a major inconvenience to have to get my fat old body moving in some George Washington and Patrick Henry Patriot crap.
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

I was tooling around at the Houston Gshow years ago and bought a "can launcher" device from a gentleman... It is a small piece of tubing w/ cut in it length wise to slide over the front sight, then another cut the depth of the front site to twist/turn to lock it on front site. There is a small set scrw to secure it in place. This small pce of tubing in about 3/4" OD and 1/2" ID... I could be off by 1/8-1/4, but need to find and measure to confirm. This small pce of tubing is then welded to a circular pce of metal(picture a large washer w/ the sm diam tubing welded to the inner circle/hole). Then a large piece of steel tubing is welded to the outside diam of the large cricular metal ring. This piece of larger tubing is about 6-7" in length. You put the thing on your AK barrel, load a blank, then load ANY standard coke can or smoke grenade from current US Army inventory into the large pce of tubing and BLAM!!!! Flies like a champ.... I can picture MANY "fun" applications...

Loads of fun....

Anyone have pictures of this yugo launcher??? I am interested and we appear to have some subject matter experts here to help us pilgrims..

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Ding
onomanopeoia

AKaholic #: 7821

by wunhunglo:,
Instructor: "You see, you arm the explosive device, attach it to the end of your rifle, and then you fire a live bullet into the end of it. Any questions?"
Student: "You want me to do WHAT???"

http://www.bloomautomatic.com/index.htm

http://www.inert-ord.net/yugos/yughr/m60/index.html

http://www.keepshooting.com/military...it-israeli.htm.damn,outa stock,again

http://www.facsupplystore.com/prodde...?prod=PAAK1012

http://www.serviceofsupply.com/ReproWeaponsAmmo.htm

http://hi-vel.com/Catalog__22/catalog__22.html

http://hi-vel.com/Catalog__22/Devast...mmunition.html
Voice#7-"There's Nothing That a Screwdriver to the Temple Can't Fix"
SFC I Corps 68'-72'

Last edited by Ding; 05-04-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

There are two different length standards for 22mm rifle grenades. The "European" length which is long and the American length which is shorter and adopted by NATO countries in 1962(mandated in 1961). H&K shortened the G-3 flash hider for the shorter grenades. Comparing the Austrian Stg-58 flash hider and the 1964 FN FAL combo flash hider you can clearly see the length difference.

Tito clearly had somebody assigned to "improve" Yugoslavia's weapons. When NATO spec'd integrated rifle grenade launching and last shot bolt hold open Yugoslavia followed NATO with these features. Not because they are "better" just because it was somebody's job to find ways to improve Yugoslavia's weapons and they figured this looked like they were doing their job and thought NATO must have researched having these features. Funny how it was too late for the L1A1, C1A1 and M-14 to have a grenade launching flash hider and too late for the G-3 to have last shot bolt hold open. Yugoslavia just mimicked the features from NATO's spec's. Even going as far as copying NATO's 22mm grenades instead of Eastern Bloc rifle grenades.

Last edited by allesennogwat; 05-05-2009 at 12:26 AM.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
tdbrown1969
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 8064

Didn't DSTORM post how to make a "grenade" out of a golf ball and other items?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
omega88

Apex gun parts has the real Yugo grenade launchers they call it a grenade spigot, they were around $40 Mine was a little rusty but not bad , they are real Yugo military issue ,I see a lot of photos from the Yugo , Serb , Croatian area conflicts with the spigots on the rifles , before Apex started selling these last summer ,I looked high and low for one , I think they still list them .I am getting ready to make another golf ball launcher for a friend ,using one of those fake AK-74 muzzlebrakes with the 14mm threads as the attachment point then weld the washer and muffler tubing to it , stamp some fake military numbers or something on it ,then paint it flat black or OD green and launch .
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
tdbrown1969
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 8064
Default This thread contains alot of info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbrown1969
Didn't DSTORM post how to make a "grenade" out of a golf ball and other items?

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35060
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #12
knall
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5181

I have had the "spigot" for years...... looking forward to some other folks being on the band wagon for making practice grenades. or plans or info
knall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Bloom automatic is what mine looks like and again it launches soda cans or std smoke grenade canisters....

Bit larger than golf ball w/ a little more, shall we say, versatility...

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #14
RaccoonRough

AKaholic #: 11147

SO has anyone ever made any yugo practice grenade copies?

Has anyone found out what tubing makes the best fit or how to make the fins on the tail?

RR
RaccoonRough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #15
knall
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5181

Only think I have "learned" is that you "CAN" drill a hole in a tennis ball and shove it directly onto the spigot. I have not tried it yet. I will try this weekend.
knall is offline   Reply With Quote