Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 01-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
shark_attack_i_bite

AKaholic #: 3491
Default amd 65 build instructions

does antone know a site that post how to steps on building an amd 65? i'm a big time collector and now want to learn to build some of my own ty
shark_attack_i_bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
jimcola

AKaholic #: 3029

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...nstruction.htm
http://www.acearms.com/tutorials/blank_build.shtml
jimcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
prophet

AKaholic #: 2455

he's right pookie has a great website that's got a ton of info about building. also ak-47.org has a 10 page step by step booklet that you can order. it's a screw build booklet but if you're doing rivets it's also very useful...prophet
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
jimcola

AKaholic #: 3029

yes, I ordered the 80% receiver from ak-47.org and used the 10 pages of instructions. They were invaluable.
jimcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
hugegator

AKaholic #: 2391

pookie has it down pat. Can't go wrong using his stuff.
hugegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
shark_attack_i_bite

AKaholic #: 3491
Default amd 65 build

thanks guys both links are great will get me well on my way!
shark_attack_i_bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
Mactrekr

AKaholic #: 3046

anyone got the AceArms instructions saved? The site is down and I didn't save it.
My feeling is that the hero has now been defined by phrases like the odious one that we were all raised with - crimes does not pay. Of course it pays, you schmuck. That's not why we don't do it. We don't do it because it is wrong ~ Frank Miller
Mactrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
goldenbb

AKaholic #: 3345

Pookie's stuff is mostly good, if somewhat rough. Do not attempt to clean up the galling on your barrel by using a flapper wheel, however. You will take off way too much metal and ruin the interference fit. Very light sanding is all you need.

Also, I would not emulate his welding technique, nor would I try to silver solder anything since it is quite likely you won't do it right and thus not have a legally compliant barrel length.

It only costs a little more to do the job right is all I am saying. I don't mean to knock the guy since he is a living god to some.
goldenbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #9
Mactrekr

I've been all over Pookie's site, I THINK IT'S AWESOME!!!!!! But, it really doesn't contain a "Step by Step" begining to end thing. I'm no idiot, and can build an AK no prob, but there are a lot of newbs out there that could really use a comprehensive build guide like Ace USED to offer.
My feeling is that the hero has now been defined by phrases like the odious one that we were all raised with - crimes does not pay. Of course it pays, you schmuck. That's not why we don't do it. We don't do it because it is wrong ~ Frank Miller
Old 03-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
7.62x39

AKaholic #: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactrekr
but there are a lot of newbs out there that could really use a comprehensive build guide like Ace USED to offer.
That is the Tutorial that I made for them.
It is now located here.
7.62x39's tutorial
7.62x39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
hcpookie

AKaholic #: 1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbb
Pookie's stuff is mostly good, if somewhat rough. Do not attempt to clean up the galling on your barrel by using a flapper wheel, however. You will take off way too much metal and ruin the interference fit. Very light sanding is all you need.

Also, I would not emulate his welding technique, nor would I try to silver solder anything since it is quite likely you won't do it right and thus not have a legally compliant barrel length.

It only costs a little more to do the job right is all I am saying. I don't mean to knock the guy since he is a living god to some.
BB,

Hey I never said I'm a welding pro - I fix computers for a living. But I'm learning. Not sure EXACTLY what part of the welding I'm doing wrong? If there's something I can do better please do tell!

Oh and I'm not a god, I'm a man. Get nervous with that one - Just a man with too much time on his hands and a willingness to share both SUCCESS and FAILURE with the world. Like my college buddy used to say, if you can't laugh at yourself, watch me laugh at you!

Yes my welding pretty much sucks. My buddy with the "good" Hobart MIG setup laughs at my welding, but he's helped me get the basics learned. He has at least given me a push in the right direction & let me play with Gas vs. Flux so we could see the differences. I've just not practiced enough with my HF Chinese blue-light special budget welding equipment. Maybe soon I'll pony up for the "good" welding setup BUT for now, I'm not here to weld, I'm here to build guns & have fun playing in my sandbox. Not here to defend my welding, just making a point. That $100 HF welder is nice for bigger jobs but FLUX MIG just doesn't have the control & quality for small seam welds. I think it is perfect for MIG'ing trailers, racks, etc. together. Oh and I just recently got my home-made rear trunion MIGed and need to put it on the mill now...

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/Gr.../rearstock.htm

And I agree 100% on the flapper wheel - slow & easy. Note that I documented that so others would learn. Scroll down farther on that page and you'll see how I corrected it...

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AMD65/amd65.htm

I can't agree w/ your silver solder statement... talking about muzzle attachments? THOUSANDS of FAL muzzle attachments have been silver soldered and there's several pages that document that very well. Searching FALFILES will get you some good links about that subject. I'd never, EVER silver solder (OR WELD) a receiver, rails, or trunions. Just wouldn't do it.

Thanks for the constructive criticisms. I'm certainly the first to admit there's more than one way to skin a cat, and that my technique could be tempered with a great deal of patience - seems like many of my mistakes are self-inflicted!

I think I'm so successful with my jerry-rigging because I'm not afraid to try and fail. Seems I read a quote by JFK about that...

- Jerry
hcpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
Mactrekr

Jerry, you are considered a Deity by those of us who don't have the time or money to screw up 4 or 5 builds. I'll bet that hundreds of builders have learned lots from your site. I know I sure have. and 7.62x39, thanks, that was just what I was looking for. Any idea where I can find a detailed step by step for the assembly of the trigger/fcg?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #13
hcpookie

AKaholic #: 1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactrekr
Jerry, you are considered a Deity by those of us who don't have the time or money to screw up 4 or 5 builds.
Well I don't konw about the diety part, BUT the target audience is exactly who I've built my site for - those that don't want to spend more on tools than you would on the gun! So if things look a little on the crude side they are, and for good reason!

The order of FCG parts is shepherd's hook, hammer & spring, pin, trigger/disconnector, safety, pin
hcpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #14
Mactrekr

You rock dude!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #15
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

Just started my first (amd-65 pistol)build. I have crawled all over hcpookie's site and downloaded 7.63x39's tutorial.Both are full of good info that I needed(thanks guys!),but does anyone have a link or info about hand setting rivets with a hammer and punch?thanks
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #16
Thanatos

AKaholic #: 2620

Don't set the trunnion rivets with a hammer and punch, either build or buy a boltcutter rivet tool like on hcpookie's website. They are the "cat's ass" for those 6 particular rivets. And right now Harbor Freight has their 24" boltcutters on sale for $8.49, and the 18" boltcutters that I used are only $9.99. If you decide to go with the boltcutters for the front rivets, I may have an extra set kicking around that we may be able to work out a deal on.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:00 AM   #17
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

I intend to get a set of those, but would like to learn how to rivet the "old fashion way", as it might come in handy for other projects that a "rivet sqeezer" might not be able to handle.
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:02 AM   #18
7.62x39

AKaholic #: 463

The tough part of setting them by hand, would be backing them up or "Bucking" as it is called.

You will need to find a way to support the trunnion in such a way that you have a solid backing where the rivet comes through the inside of the trunnion.

It is not easy, but can be done.
Way easier with a rivet squeezer or jig.
7.62x39 is offline   Reply With Quote