Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > News, Current Events, Politics & Religion

Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
the eXiLe
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 5154
Default Coen brothers to remake True Grit

The Coen brothers' next film will be a remake of True Grit, the 1969 western which won John Wayne his only Oscar, Variety reports.
The original movie was a star vehicle for the Duke, but the Coens are said to be planning a version closer to Charles Portis's 1968 novel, told from the point of view of a 14-year-old girl who hires a grizzled gunman to help find her father's killer.

The film-making siblings, who have just completed the black comedy A Serious Man, are fitting in True Grit before their planned adaptation of Michael Chabon's novel The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

The original True Grit spawned two sequels: 1975's Rooster Cogburn, in which Wayne reprised his role as the eponymous US marshal, and the made-for-TV 1978 follow-up True Grit: A Further Adventure, which starred Warren Oates as the one-eyed law man.

Wayne is said to have called Marguerite Roberts' script for the original film "the best [he'd] ever read".

The Coen brothers' next film will be a remake of True Grit, the 1969 western which won John Wayne his only Oscar, Variety reports.
The original movie was a star vehicle for the Duke, but the Coens are said to be planning a version closer to Charles Portis's 1968 novel, told from the point of view of a 14-year-old girl who hires a grizzled gunman to help find her father's killer.

The film-making siblings, who have just completed the black comedy A Serious Man, are fitting in True Grit before their planned adaptation of Michael Chabon's novel The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

The original True Grit spawned two sequels: 1975's Rooster Cogburn, in which Wayne reprised his role as the eponymous US marshal, and the made-for-TV 1978 follow-up True Grit: A Further Adventure, which starred Warren Oates as the one-eyed law man.

Wayne is said to have called Marguerite Roberts' script for the original film "the best [he'd] ever read".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/...ue-grit-remake

BLASPHEMY....BLASPHEMY!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
BigAl
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3957

Who can replace the Duke?
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Trotsky39
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3186

Clint Eastwood is the only man who comes to mind.....

Why don't those idiots just think up an original idea?

Must be too hard for the "creative class" these days.

Property is Freedom and Life. Taxation is murder.
Trotsky39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
AK-Rulz
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 11815

There have already been 4 movies this year that are re-makes. How many last year?
Hollwood is full of lying, vermin who have stolen all they can so now they rehash movies.

David

ps,..screw hollywood.
Patrick Henry

"The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government."
Thomas Paine

http://www.newnation.org/
AK-Rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Black_Wolf
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8402

Dont bother, as it will be shit.
Black_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Pvt.Joker
Larger than life and twice as ugly

AKaholic #: 8956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky39
Clint Eastwood is the only man who comes to mind.....

Why don't those idiots just think up an original idea?

Must be too hard for the "creative class" these days.
Clint Eastwood had the integrity to not even do another sequel to "Dirty Harry" this time around, so I doubt that he would buy into this bastardization of yet another classic. Now, granted, "Gran Torino"s main character DID resemble what Harry Callahan probably would have become in his old age, but at least it was a different original movie that didn't just whore off someone else's previous work.

I wonder what sort of metrosexual prissy-boy they'll cast in the Duke's place? About the ONLY one I can think of in Hollyweird who MIGHT pull it off might be Mel Gibson, or MAYBE Bruce Willis... maybe. Or maybe not. But I have no doubt that whomever they pick will probably be less manly than the 14-year-old girl they pick.

In the end, those who felt the "need" to make better choices for the rest of us should be told that they have a choice between going to the gallows, or being fed chocolate cake. But WE get to "make the BETTER choice" for THEM for once.

Liberalism: Dedicated to promoting the "freedom" to blindly OBEY THEM since Karl Marx!
Pvt.Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
BigFootsCousin
Resident Wookie

AKaholic #: 22157

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Who can replace the Duke?
Me.

I can pull it off. I'm an 'ol cowboy and I'm ornery as well!

I should write their company and send some photos of myself.

BFC
BigFootsCousin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
the eXiLe
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.Joker
I have no doubt that whomever they pick will probably be less manly than the 14-year-old girl they pick.
LMAO.....sounds about right!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
partymember
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5600

i might have to audition. Got the boots and everything :/
Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
the eXiLe
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Yeah, I got the boots...would you have to poke one eye out to get an audition though?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

keep in mind Party, even if you polk an eye out for the roll, your Cher homage still might end up on the cutting room floor!
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
partymember
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6526
keep in mind Party, even if you polk an eye out for the roll, your Cher homage still might end up on the cutting room floor!
damn

how's about Madonna?

"Don't cry for me... Texas"
Old 03-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
BigAl
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3957

Remember when they did "the wild, wild west" with will smith...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
Pvt.Joker

Yeah, I heard the preproduction notes for it include a suggestion to slightly alter the title... They want to make it...

TRUE SHIT.

In the end, those who felt the "need" to make better choices for the rest of us should be told that they have a choice between going to the gallows, or being fed chocolate cake. But WE get to "make the BETTER choice" for THEM for once.

Liberalism: Dedicated to promoting the "freedom" to blindly OBEY THEM since Karl Marx!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
Viragos

AKaholic #: 3684

The Coen Bros. make really good movies. Think "Fargo" and "No country for old men". I'm sure they'll do a good job on "True Grit". Probably be a totally different movie from the original. Won't even know they came from the same book. You'll still be able to buy the original at Wal-Mart for 5.00 bucks IIRC.
Viragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Pvt.Joker

The fact that the Coen brothers ARE capable of making good ORIGINAL movies only makes their bastardizing this one all that more sad...

Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #17
the eXiLe
Curio & Relic
Contributor

+1, why would they play the remake game when their original stuff is so good.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
akjim
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7245

makes no sense to me.....How the hell do you remake an oscar winning movie that starred one of Hollywoods largest legends and not expect it to be an instant second rate film.
The Coens are so far beyond doing remakes......One of my favorite movies is Oh Brother where art thou, evey time Baby Face Nelson turns his 1928 Thompson on the cattle and delmar crys out "oh george not the livestock" I fall out of my seat laughing. the Coen's are genius in their own right so this just aint right.

WOO HOOO WHAT A RIDE !

"SQUADRON LEADER AKJIM, 11 GROUP AKF, REPORTING FOR NIGHT ZEPPELIN INTERCEPT DUTY,,, AS ORDERED SIR"
akjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard

AKaholic #: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Wolf
Dont bother, as it will be shit.
As is everything the coen brothers touch.

Fargo? You're kidding. It was one of the longest most monotonous, dreary excuses for a movie. The wood chipper was the one momentarily uplifting event.

Burn after reading? God the thing was tedious. It could have been so much better if they had some random ASU film student produce it. The only reason I watched the whole thing was a desperate hope that it would get better. It didn't. Just contunuid to drip like tepid water.

No Country? Definitely interesting with some good acting, but again, it just meandered without going anywhere.

The Coen brothers are like unbuttered popcorn. Just bland, empty carbs.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
akjim
Curio & Relic

ya Mark your right,,,,,a pair of hacks
man son,,,,you been hanging with our wonderous in house contraian again? Is 16r40 some kind of alter ego, or feeding you crumundgeon pills????

How about I say BLACK.....

and then you can say WHITE......

actually, Oh brother were art thou is their only film I've ever bothered to sit all the way through, but it was so original I have to give em credit. And Chris Thomas King did one hell of a Robert Johnson blues git box.....

Academy Awards
Both Ethan and Joel have been nominated for eight Academy Awards, twice under their alias Roderick Jaynes, and have won two Oscars for screenwriting (original screenplay for Fargo and adapted screenplay for No Country for Old Men). They received their first awards for Best Achievement in Directing and Best Picture for No Country for Old Men.

1996: Fargo

Best Picture (Ethan Coen, nominated)
Best Director (Joel Coen, nominated)
Best Screenplay Original (won)
Best Editing (as Roderick Jaynes, nominated)
2000: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Best Screenplay Adapted (nominated)
2007: No Country for Old Men

Best Picture (with Scott Rudin, won)
Best Director (won)
Best Screenplay Adapted (won)
Best Editing (as Roderick Jaynes, nominated)

WOO HOOO WHAT A RIDE !

"SQUADRON LEADER AKJIM, 11 GROUP AKF, REPORTING FOR NIGHT ZEPPELIN INTERCEPT DUTY,,, AS ORDERED SIR"
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard

AKaholic #: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjim
actually, Oh brother were art thou is their only film I've ever bothered to sit all the way through, but it was so original I have to give em credit. And Chris Thomas King did one hell of a Robert Johnson blues git box

Original? It was simply a remake of Homer's Odyssey. Please Tell me you knew that already . . .

The music was pretty good, though.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
akjim
Curio & Relic

Homers Odyssey???? Do you mean the one that starred Elizabeth Taylor in that hot egyiptian get up?,,,,, Was that a John Ford flick or did Sam Peckenpaw direct that one?

I'm not that stupid to think the Coen brothers stole the Idea from the Simpsons....

WOO HOOO WHAT A RIDE !

Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #23
Pvt.Joker

Mark, you do make a good point about O Brother and the Odyssey, but that does offer the ONE way they might manage to not make this totally suck- IF they took the plot of True Grit, but then perhaps reset it in a different time/place, it would be better than trying to redo it as a western. Maybe set it as the daughter of a coyote hiring a biker or a merc to help go after the Mexican druglord who killed her father, or some such. OK; it STILL might suck, but it would have a better chance to be at least tolerable. Maybe...

Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #24
akjim
Curio & Relic

LMAO PVT.......How about just reverse the whole thing so John Wayne is Aeolus, God of the winds and the daughter is played by Nemisis the goddess of retribution,,,and have them hunt down and kill some lowly mortal.......

WOO HOOO WHAT A RIDE !

Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #25
akjim
Curio & Relic

here ya go EX,,,,,My apologeeese for highjacking your thread.

Marshall J.D. Cahill (Cahill, U.S. Marshall):
"Cause even grown men need understanding."

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

And one I guess probably means a lot to most of us on this web,,,,,seeing how this country is going......

Hondo Lane
"Yup. The end of a way of life. Too bad. It's a good way. Wagons forward! Yo!"

WOO HOOO WHAT A RIDE !

Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #26
the eXiLe
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber
It was simply a remake of Homer's Odyssey. Please Tell me you knew that already . . .
I didn't.....until I watched the bonus material on the DVD.

Then again....I didn't even know that they'd even made Homer's Odyssey!