Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 01-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Whole Bunches

AKaholic #: 3044
Default Bugarian SLR-101S opinions/info

I have an AK74 (semi auto) and now want an semi auto AK47. I have examined Romanian WASR's and find their fit and finish too poor for my taste. My dealer received a Ky Imports catalog which has listed for $530:

"Bulgarian SLR-101S Semi-Auto Rifle. Includes 1) 30-Round Magazine, Original oiler, cleaning kit and sling. Available with black or green furniture. Milled receiver. Has side-mount scope based on receiver. 16.5" barrel, New in box."

It appears there is no bayonet lug (no big deal) and the muzzle brake is permanently attached (no big deal). I like the idea of the milled receiver and, from what little I can find on the internet, it appears the fit and finish would please me. Since it includes a 30rd mag, it must take regular 30rd AK mags. I am guessing the stock set is US made so the rifle could be imported (the picture shows a synthetic, non thumb hole, regular looking stock set).

1) Any opinions would be appreciated, especially in the fit and finish department.

2) Any specifications that I am incorrect on?

3) Is the bore chrome lined?

Thank you very much
Whole Bunches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
BulGARYan

AKaholic #: 1387

1. You WILL like the fit and finish.
2. No
3. Yes
Check out http://www.gunsnstuff.net for the SLR and SA M-7 rifles.
BulGARYan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Major Pita

AKaholic #: 2119

Here is a review of the SLR-101S from K-Var's forum that goes into pretty good detail:

http://www.k-varcorp.com/forums/inde...329&hl=slr101s
Old 01-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
Whole Bunches

Thank you for the feedback and info. I called my dealer and said order one with a green stock set.

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #5
Windustsearch

AKaholic #: 3158

AK-47s are not supposed to have a bayo lug. The bayo clamps on to the gas block, different then the AKMs and 74s.
Windustsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
Whole Bunches

Dealer ordered it Monday; it arrived today. Very nice. I am pleased with it so far. Regular hi cap mags fine fine...not too snug and not too loose.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
MILSPEC

AKaholic #: 2582

Dude...
You will enjoy this rifle alot!!
I bought one in August..ordered a Russian PK-01V red-dot military scope
and have been having fun ever since!!
Never knew a AK could be so accurate..
I primarily shoot bolt guns and an M14 and M1A...Love the Arsenal, sent it to SALBO to have refinished in black Guncote.
Get some Yugo 7.63X39 from Dan's Sporting goods and enjoy.
Stan
MILSPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
Whole Bunches

Although it was freezing here in NW Fl, I went to the range anyway. A friend dropped off 2 30rd mags for me to use until my mag order comes in. The Chinese marked one wouldn't lock in place; the Russian one fitted in place fine. No malfunctions in 160rd fired. Got it sighted in for 100m with groups of about 4". Had to drift the front sight a tade to the left with my front sight tool. The recoil was mild, I suppose due to the muzzle brake and low recoiling cartridge anyway. Very fun to shoot. One could go through some quantity of ammo with this thing! The few folks at the range were impressed with the workmanship, milled receiver, and even the way the green stock looked. Trigger pull smooth with no grittyness. The receiver looks like it will last forever.

Negatives: I see finish wear on the edges of the side scope mount (I have no scope on it) from handling the rifle. Finish wear inside the mag well. I had read about "trigger slap", but had never experienced it...I sure know what it means now. No trigger slap was felt when wearing gloves, only bare handed. I am not sure what to do about the slap. It has what I believe is a single hook mechanism.

Offhand, I couldn't see why the one mag wouldn't quite snap into place. Since it is a borrowed mag, I left it alone and did no measuring or extensive comparision. I have 7 mags arriving this coming week (Hungarian 20 and 30rd)(a 30rd Hungarian mag at the shop fit fine).

I give it a thumbs up. The 5rd mag that it came with is nice for bench shooting.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Trigger slap is usually caused by the "tail" on the rear of the disconnector being too long, the hammer cams the disconnector so far that it bottoms out on the trigger and the trigger "slaps" your finger as a result. Grind off any excess material at the rear and it should disappear.
KernelKrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
Whole Bunches

My Tapco mag order arrived. 5 new in the wrap 20rd Hungarian mags...4 snap into place; 1 doesn't. 2 excellent (they look brand new, but not in the wrap) Hungarian 30rd mags...all snap into place. Later I'll field strip my SLR and try and determine why 1 mag won't snap into place.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
Major Pita

AKaholic #: 2119

The mag may not be snapping into place because the rear tab may be thicker on it than the others. Compare them and see.

If the offending one is thicker at the rear tab, file just enough of the "sloped" surface of this tab (NOT the flat surface on top) to get it to lock into place.

This is a common problem with using one country's rifle with another country's magazine.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:51 AM   #12
Whole Bunches

Thank you sir. I'll start at that point. It is true that the mag seems to go all the way into the receiver, but the bottom edge of the tab doesn't quite go above the top edge of the mag catch, so the catch doesn't hold the mag in place.

1-25-2005 Update. Using Major Pita's advice gave me a starting point of where to look for the problem. I ended up having to take a little metal off both the top and bottom of the "tab" at the back of the mag, and it now works fine. Again, Thank You.

Last edited by Whole Bunches; 01-25-2005 at 10:38 PM.