Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 12-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
BSS Snake Eyes

AKaholic #: 1148
Default Muzzle brakes and adapters

Hello,

I have a Romanian AK-47 with an unthreaded barrel. Im looking to put a muzzle brake on it. I was woundering if anyone has tried or knows if those adapters that you can buy actually work. Also need help on picking out a muzzle brake.

Adapters:

Lets You Put A Muzzle Brake On Non-Threaded Barrels. Four set screws hold thread adapter to barrel. Lets you put AK-style muzzle brakes, with 14mm -1.0 left hand thread, on any rifle with an unthreaded barrel. Fits barrels with .545"" diameter muzzle.
SPECS: Steel, blue, matte finish. 1¼"" (3.2cm) long, ¾"" (19mm) diameter.

Install these thread adapters to your unthreaded rifle and you can then use the brake bodies below. SPECS: Thread Adapters - Steel, blue finish. 1" long. AR-15 - ½"-28 tpi. FN-FAL - 9/16"-24 LH tpi. AK-47 - 14mm-1 tpi. Galil - 13mm-1 RH tpi.

Muzzle Brakes:

Does anyone recommend any of these and if so which ones are the best? Any help would really be appriciated.. Thanks All.. §nake Eye§
BSS Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Forget the adapter with the setscrews. Any misalignment and the brake will be going downrange and taking the adapter with it. Either get a die set and thread the bbl, or have a gunsmith do it. The AK74 style brake (#1) is very effective, make sure the one you get is the proper caliber and thread for your rifle. The adapters that go from one thread size to another work, but it is better to get a brake that is properly threaded.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
BSS Snake Eyes

Ok, Thanks for the info. So you think i should go with the second adapter? I am not even about to tackle threading the barrel myself. I figured the AK-74 muzzle brake would be best.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
AtLarge

AKaholic #: 3259
Default Thread the barrel

Like the commercial says "Just do it". It's super easy to thread the barrel. Rent a die and get' er done. You'll be glad you did. Then you can use any brake you want.
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
BSS Snake Eyes

hmm.. ok where can I get one of these die kits? and how much does somthing like that cost?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
16r40
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS Snake Eyes
hmm.. ok where can I get one of these die kits? and how much does somthing like that cost?

don't know if he is still renting them or not.........but it wouldn't hurt to ask

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=184735

General William Tecumseh Sherman
16r40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
milk

AKaholic #: 3153

if not there goto hk94.com and look around for a thread titled muzzle threader available or something like that. but anyway there's one going around on there, actually i have it right now and getting ready to send it out to the next person on the list. it's really easy to use believe me. has a TAT(thread alignment tool) so the muzzle gets threaded straight and lets you do either LH or RH 14-1 threads. check it out...
milk is offline   Reply With Quote