Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 11-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
mikoyan21

AKaholic #: 18644
Default Maadi AK 47

Gentlemen, I am new at the forum and I need to get your opinion on AK 47's made by Maadi, I understand that the egyptians used original tooling left by the russians to make their AK's. are these weapons quality ones compared to other foreign made weapons?. I bought one 5 years ago and it's been a very reliable weapon, I was looking in buying another AK but I am undecided as to what brand to get.
Thanks for your input
mikoyan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
16r40
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 184

welcome to the board

first off what kind of MAADI is it? ARM, RML, RPM..........or one of the MISR series

General William Tecumseh Sherman
16r40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
LuzRD
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4918

im not familiar with Maadi's however by your own experience Maadi's seem like quality rifles.

i think youll find that every nationality of AK has its fans and i dont know of any that i would say are inherently low quality (for an AK lol).

one consideration, if you buy another Maadi then youll always have spare parts to keep at least one functioning rifle.

that being said, i like Yugo AK's. just gotta be wary of the barrel condition
Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Not all Maadi's are equal. Some can have problems. The best are all Maadi p[arts assembled by Maadi. Many were imported as receivers only and had Chinese parts fitted in a bad way that would warp the receiver. Some were imported as single stack 10 round magazine models. Some of these were converted to take military magazines but not all of the conversions are high quality.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
16r40
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzRD
im not familiar with Maadi's however by your own experience Maadi's seem like quality rifles.

the ARM, RPM AND RML they are very decent rifles, finish on them leaves a lot to be desired, the ARM I have, before I had it refinished, looks as they spray painted it during a sandstorm............they are not the quality of some of the other imports, like the chinese, but the fit is good, and they function without issues.........the ARM and RML are the closest clones to a russian AKM you can get, RPMs, and some of the RML had a 20 inch barrel on them.

the MISR however are really at the bottom of the heap when it comes to quality, the -90 are by far garbage, MAK 90 parts kit bubba to fit a european receiver.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
mikoyan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16r40
welcome to the board

first off what kind of MAADI is it? ARM, RML, RPM..........or one of the MISR series

Thanks, I will check it out when I get home, it might be MISR but I don't recall.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
mikoyan21

The Maadi is an MISR-10 semi auto, like I said, I have fired at least a case of wolf through it without one hick up and I can't say that I have kept it clean, just lube, load and fire.
I was just wondering about the quality of the weapon, the finish is on the rough side and I do plan to make it look better.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
16r40
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoyan21
I was just wondering about the quality of the weapon, the finish is on the rough side and I do plan to make it look better.

finish is one thing, the milling of the bolt carrier is another.............if the MISR-10 is anything like my MISR S/A, which I am sure it is, the recess where the bolt lugs rotate in looks like the baja road. They didn't even take the care to smooth it out. like I said they are the bottom of heap when it comes to quality, although they do function

Old 11-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

As noted there are several layers of Egyptian Maadi AK rifles. Also different barrel lengths and furniture and a few folders too. Generally a tendency to trigger slap but easily remedied. Finish on almost all models is a non durable enamel type. But generally here is a recap of the most common types;

STEYR- only pre-ban Maadi - collector grade AK
ACC/INTRAC - ARM or RPM - nice rifle and reliable build quality
PARS - ARM or RML - nice rifle and reliable build quality
CAI - MISR 90 or 10 - buy at your own risk or walk away. Build issues as a mix of Chinese and Egyptian parts were used. MISR 10 was a low cap variant.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
16r40
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE
STEYR- only pre-ban Maadi - collector grade AK
ACC/INTRAC - ARM or RPM - nice rifle and reliable build quality
PARS - ARM or RML - nice rifle and reliable build quality
CAI - MISR 90 or 10 - buy at your own risk or walk away. Build issues as a mix of Chinese and Egyptian parts were used. MISR 10 was a low cap variant.
agree with that........the only MISR that was built with chinese parts was the -90........from my understanding there were 2 types, one is where they sleeved the european trunion for the chinese barrel to fit in, the other they used a chinese barrel and trunion in a european receiver......which is also not good as the chinese trunions do not quite fit in a european receiver.

also some of the MISR-10, the mag wells were "hogged out" to accpet hi-cap mags

they also have a MISR S/A, same kind of quality as the -10, except it was hi-cap mag

Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
mikoyan21

Thanks guys for teh valuable info. I wish I had known this before buying it but that was 5 years ago.
It looks like I have a very reliable piece of junk
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
16r40
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoyan21
Thanks guys for teh valuable info. I wish I had known this before buying it but that was 5 years ago.
It looks like I have a very reliable piece of junk
hey if it works, that is what really matters .........making it look pretty is a pretty easy thing to have done.

I bought my ARM new in the box back in 95, for the princely sum of 190 bucks, still have the receipt......and did my ARM up by getting soviet furniture that I order from cole, I believe, shortly later.......then had the thing refinished by having a baked black enamel over a parkerized based, that is one tough finish! still looks as good as the day it was put on.

I have a soft spot in my heart for MAADIs.......I have a ARM, RPM, and the dreaded MISR S/A