Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Sunrisef150

AKaholic #: 7489
Default Value of Norinco AK-47 Sporter

Looking to see what this is worth. Made in China By Norinco, Model: AK-47 Sporter. It's in great condition. Other than the threads on the barrel (Not sure if someone tried to machine them down or if they got stripped), but that can be solved by a smith pinning on a muzzle nut or slant break. The bayonet lugs are cut off, no cleaning rod, and there are a few small dings on the back of the receiver. Barrel: nice and shiney and clean rifling.

It belongs to a relative out of state who is thinking about getting rid of it. Not a computer person so they asked me to check it out for them. I couldn't find much info on this model so i'm seeing if you guys know anything.

Thanks

Last edited by Sunrisef150; 10-24-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Sunrisef150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
16r40
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 184

I can tell you it isn't a pre-89 import AK, not with the 'SPORTER" stamped on it, and the bayonet lug ground off, the threads on the barrel are not stripped, they just did a bad job of turning down the threads on the barrel........some of the very very early post 89 NORINCOs came in with the underfolder still attached to the gun, folded forward and a thumbhole stock attach to it.....all one had to do, was to take that thumbhole stock off and you had a underfolder AK, which I suspect that is what that might be.

The problem he might have on that, is there probably isn't any US parts in them to be in compliant with 922r.

as for value, if the gun is 922r compliant, then a price of 650-700 bucks is not too out of line for one.

General William Tecumseh Sherman
16r40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

I remember the undefolder receiver post ban models not having the stock but had the holes for it and a tab welded to the top of the rear trunnion to hold the thumbhole stock.What was usually done was the tab was ground off and the folding stock added.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
16r40
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat
I remember the undefolder receiver post ban models not having the stock but had the holes for it and a tab welded to the top of the rear trunnion to hold the thumbhole stock.What was usually done was the tab was ground off and the folding stock added.

I have seen those too.......but the early imports just shortly after the 89 import ban took effect, also came with intact underfolders folded forwarded with the thumbhole stock to them, made their way out into the market

Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
Sunrisef150

Any way to tell for sure if it had a thumbhole stock on it? Anything to look for specific on it?

Also does it need to be 922r? I know with my CA legal off list AK type rifles I had built they have to be 922r. But didn't know this had to be. Is that because if it came with a thumbhole stock and it was removed, so now they need to 922r comply? If the gun came as you see it then it's fine the way it is?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5400

It's pretty obvious that there was a Thumbhole stock on it by the paint shadowing and very faint weld slag marks where the tang once was at rear I'll bet the FCG is all chinese. It also looks like someone tried to re-thread the muzzle end for brake by first moving FS back a hair to try and capture more threading distance. I'm just assuming so don't take anything as written in stone. Odd selection of pics I'd say......My quess is that it was once a post ban MAK90, and someone just didn't like its configuration and changed it to their liking. Probably had a cross plate riveted through the UF Hole assembly at one time. Anyway if it is a post-ban,. which I think it is,.. it most likely isn't 922r compliant by the over-all looks of it. Still worth about $350-$400 to the unsuspecting buyer. Ken in Pa.
AKBuilder7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Sunrisef150

So your saying they came with a tang welded on the underfolder rear trunion? And a thumbhole stock was attached by those 2 screw holes and the grip screw hole? He said he purchased it just the way it is, but it was bought off someone else. So it wasn't brand new when he bought it. So the previous owner might have modified it I guess. Not really sure if it has 922r parts or not. I'll see if he can look at the fcg and other stuff. So they were still labeled with the model "AK-47 Sporter" and came with the thumbhole stocks?

Well the pics were to just show the gun itself, and then the areas of damage. Didn't really figure it necessary to have any other pics. I'll have him inspect the rear trunion to see if he can tell if a tang was once on there.

Last edited by Sunrisef150; 10-22-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
16r40
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrisef150
So they were still labeled with the model "AK-47 Sporter" and came with the thumbhole stocks?

no, the later ones that were imported were stamped MAK-90s (modified AK-1990) sporter.....like I said what you have is a squillery AK that was imported very shortly after the 89 ban went to effect....... what the chinese did was to take what would have a been a already made pre-89 AK underfolder, and made it in compliance with the new ban requirement, by folding the stock forward, welding a tang on that, and installing the thumbhole stock. did a half ass job of turning down the threads of the barrel, and grinding down the bayonet lug.....then scribbed "sporter" after the "ak-47" stamp on it.

whoever had that, then took off that thumbhole stock, took off the tang, bought a chinese pistol grip and put it on.

I still will go with my estimate of 650-700 bucks.......for a complete made chinese underfolder AK............ if you take a look at what parts kit assembled underfolders on US receivers are going for, it's no bargain there, parts kit for underfolder AK are going for 400+ bucks by themselves, so why sell this for less that a a US assembled one goes for, or what a parts kit goes for ?

this one is 100 percent chinese made......you or he just need to change out some of the parts in it to US parts, so that it has no more then 10 foreign parts, so you it would be in complaince with 922r.

I believe that IRONWOOD DESIGNS sells US wood pistol grips (1 part count), not exactly like the chinese ones, but it is wood, if you want to keep the wood look. get a complete US fire control group, double trigger kind (3 part count), and a US piston (1 part count), and put a US muzzle attachemnt (1 part count) on it, and it will be copasetic

Last edited by 16r40; 10-22-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
Bascot

AKaholic #: 13742

I assume the stock folds out comfortably? And that it shoots and has no barrel or headspace problems? If so, and this Russian underfolder I'm trying to purchase doesn't work out, I'd pay $400.00 for it. Put in a Tapco fire control group, piston and have a slant muzzlebreak tack welded to it and call it good...

I saw a Chinese underfolder like this that was cherry at the Nashville gun show for $1,000.00. It had the bayonet and lug w/o the ground down threads. A thumbhole that was cherry for $700.00, and the larger, heavy version for the same that was a little beat up. All of the gun sellers are trying to unload stock fearing they'll get stuck and with Obama elected, they'll be impossible to sell or confiscated. Prices are extremely high right now as they are hoping to take advantage of panic buying. I only paid $350.00 for my MAK 90 new though, and I'm not interested in paying high prices then wind up with McCain and the price suddenly drop.
Bascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
Windustsearch

AKaholic #: 3158

Doesn't look compliant. Everything I can see in your pic is original Chinese.
Windustsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Sunrisef150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16r40
...then scribbed "sporter" after the "ak-47" stamp on it...
I do have a pic of the info on the receiver he sent me and the "Sporter" part is stamped on just like the "AK-47" part is stamped. It looks like it was done at the same time. I'll have to crop/resize/upload it so you can see. Now the importer markings you can tell was done differently.

Well I am unsure if he or the previous owner has swapped out any parts with US parts.

If the FCG is US then as it sits it should be compliant if used with US mags. If FCG is original then it would sit at 12 imported parts. I'll have to have him open it up and check to see if there are any US parts inside.
1 - Receiver
2 - Barrel
3 - Front Trunion
4 - Bolt
5 - Carrier
6 - Gas Piston
7 - Buttstock
8 - Pistol Grip
9 - Forearm/Handguard
* 10-12 FCG

A imported mag would add 3 more parts. An imported mag body w/ US follower and floor plate would only add 1 part and still be compliant.

It has no muzzle attachment on it now so that doesn't add to the count.

Last edited by Sunrisef150; 10-23-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
Sunrisef150

Bascot,

Yes the underfolder folds out smooth and locks up nice, gun shoots great. If he decides to get rid of it I can probably post it up for sale for him. But it'd be more than $400, just not sure what exact price. I'm sure he'd have to make sure it's 922r compliant before selling it. And i'd have to look into how sales in other states. I know here in CA it has to be shipped to an FFL if I purchase a gun from out of state, or even shipped within the state from the seller to FFL. Face to Face it's PPT at FFL. This gun is in the Reno NV area. Not sure how you free state guys get to purchase your guns from private sellers. But i'd want to make sure he does everything kosher if i'm helping him get rid of it.

But right now I just want to let him know what it's worth and I guess what parts need to be US to keep it compliant.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Sunrisef150

Do you guys think it would be good to find a matching gas block that has the bayonet lug and cleaning rod hole on it and have that installed? Or just leave that be?

Oh and thanks a lot for everyones help so far. You guys are awesome.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
Bascot

I'd leave it alone and let the seller do it. Here on the mountain, we can do pretty much whatever, the cops are too busy accepting bribes from the meth manufacturers to actually enforce the law. The feds stay away completely, for fear of becoming "suicide victims" found in the woods. Don't know how so many folks manage to shoot themselves in the head 2 or 3 times out there with rifles, but it has been going on since prohibition...
Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

Wow,.....sounds like total paradise,..Bascot. A place where one can live his life, and just be left the F..k alone! Oh yeah!.....I'm packin already......LOL
Ken in Pa.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #16
cadillacguns

AKaholic #: 4303

I have seen a few of them, you should be able to screw a slant comp or muzzle nut on those threads, screw down as much as you can, back off, clean threads, if you use a tap and die its just opening up the threads, if you go slaowly back and forth on a nut or comp, its slower but does the same thing. Importer welded a tang to the backplate to appease US Customs, thats been cut or ground off, plates covering underfolding part of receiver removed, underfolding stock added.

$350-$400 in the condition shown, this week, maybe more after 4 Nov 08, who knows................

what state are you in for a FTF or pick up, cause adding shipping will raise teh price, www.gunbroker.com may get you the most views and best price IMHO.
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Sunrisef150

Added the pic showing the importer, maker & model.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Black_Wolf
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8402

That should read

RONKONKOMA, N.Y.

Which is in Long Island

To those who give a crap.
Black_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
Bascot

I'll have to retract my offer, as I purchased a 1961 Gibson Les Paul (SG body, like Clapton played in Cream) today, and I'm probably going to have to unload about 3 rifles to come up with the cash....

The guitar is sweet!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #20
16r40
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrisef150

It has no muzzle attachment on it now so that doesn't add to the count.

I would put a US slant muzzle attachement on it for cosmetic reason, to make it look better, then having exposed threads on the barrel.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

Default LABANU INC importer?

My friend,....is there a reason why you can't show a pic of the entire receiver with the UF stock unfolded? I do hate to say this, but it looks to me, that what you have here,...Could be; what they call a Lebanu import= Contraband MAK90=3 pin MAK. I have been trying to strain my eyes to see past the folded stock in the first pic and can't tell from pic. Look to see if it has the evil 3rd pin(auto sear axis pin hole). On the selector safety lever side, it could, and does fool alot of people in to thinking it was/is an exteneded stop lever, but if it is a 3 pinner,.....you will also see a bottom slot (D) (dedent) for semi-auto position, just even with-in front of- this 3rd pin cross rivet piece,sticking out,..the middle slot (L) position is/was for FA. Don't get way over paranoid,...I could be wrong,..but most of the LABANU INC/RNKNKMA N.Y. MAK90 SPORTER/MADE IN CHINA/BY NORINCO were considered contraband Mak 90's on a kind of this 3rd axis pin in receiver. Take a Look. If it is. Get back to me on this. I do know about these,.....first hand. Ken in Pa.

ps.I do have to say that all of the Contrabanded MAK90's that I seen imported from LABANU INC Had MAK90 Sporter in the import stamping on side of receiver and NOT....AK-47 Sporter stamping as the one you have pictured in this thread.
So this one might not have the 3rd pin. Only way to tell is to look at it though.
I got you a website to check out,.... so you can have a little more information on this subject,.....to help you out. Listed below: Ken
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38382

Last edited by AKBuilder7255; 10-25-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
Sunrisef150

Ok with the advice from cadillacguns I told him to take a slant break and carefully install it like mentioned. It went on nice and tight. Thats a plus. It would be nice to locate a unaltered front sight and gas block to replace the cut ones on it.

AKBuilder7255,
No there is definately no 3rd hole. I'll have him send me a pic to post up. There was no reason why I didn't put up a pic of it unfolded. As the whole reason behind my post was to just see if anyone knew about it and the value. I just didn't think it was necessary. But I will get one posted for you guys.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #23
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

No,....Don't worry about it. I was just trying to look out for you, just in case it was a contraband MAK90. If you didn't already check the web sites that I posted for ya, then you would see why I was concerned for a new member and didn't want to see anyone get jammed up for anything. Like I said,.....Don't worry about posting anymore pics,.....not neccessary. Good Luck with your post-ban to pre-ban conversion. It should look pretty nice when it's complete. Just try to remember the 922r compliance BS......6 U.S. parts. L8tr......Ken in Pa.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #24
Sunrisef150

Yeah I looked at those sites. I wouldn't mess with an auto gun, or one with the happy hole anyways. Not really interested in paying a huge fine and the paid vacation to club fed. No this isn't mine. I've already got a few CA off list legal models. Don't need any more ak's. This one is on the CA ban list and I'd feel guilty about cutting it up and building it on a new US receiver. If it was already built on an NDS I would probably pick it up from him and make it CA legal.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 AM   #25
AliYahu
Contributor

AKaholic #: 51

It's an EO ban but, imported between the '89 executive order ban and 922(r) which went in I think '91. It's likely legal as it is, assuming there's not a third axis hole.
Don't forget, 922(r) only applies to manufacture, not possession, transfer, sale, etc.

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote