Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 04-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
gungoat

AKaholic #: 7003
Default Romanian AK-74

OK people,I know everyone has an opinion, and that's what I want from you AK FILES members. give me your opinion on what is the best and not best of the romanian SAR-2,WUM-2,CUR-2,ROMAK-2 and WASR-2 . I want one of each but want to know what you think of them. do you own one,do you want one, have you shot one , have you got rid of one because it was a pos, also post on the 1 &3 model's.
gungoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
BigAl
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3957

I have a SAR 2, it is one of my favorite rifles.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Vashthestanbeto

AKaholic #: 7165

I think other than the sight cant problems, SAR-2 and Intrac MKII are of better overall quality.

Of course, its just my personal observation and could easily be wrong.
Vashthestanbeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
WolfsburgBob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

AKaholic #: 16

SAR-2 ann CUR-2 were some of the best. I traded off my "correct to the last drop" AIMS-74 clone (below) to a good friend a few years back. He was intrigued by the rifle, its caliber, and its apearance. He had never had a 74 before.

It had all of the goodies right down to the correct gas tube cover. The shot below is "old" showing it with an East German "phenolic" mag. By the time it left my house for its new home it "sported" a correct Romanian Steel 5.45 mag.

My friend loves that rifle.

WolfsburgBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
dstorm1911
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akron Armory
SAR-2 ann CUR-2 were some of the best. I traded off my "correct to the last drop" AIMS-74 clone (below) to a good friend a few years back. He was intrigued by the rifle, its caliber, and its apearance. He had never had a 74 before.

It had all of the goodies right down to the correct gas tube cover. The shot below is "old" showing it with an East German "phenolic" mag. By the time it left my house for its new home it "sported" a correct Romanian Steel 5.45 mag.

My friend loves that rifle.

Tell your friend to call me and I'll sell him the CORRECT bolt carrier with angled handle I got an extra around here someplace.......... as it is I don't see how he could possibly be sleeping at night with the wrong charging handle in his AIM 74
Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5400

I was just about to mention the upcurved charging handle/bolt that these Romanian 5.45 side folders all had that were true to form. A tip of the hat and wave of the hand,...Bob....long time no hear from..??????
I always thought that the Romanian AIMS was a 7.62x39 rifle with the Russian-pattern Underfolding stock. These were always confusing to me being that the Romanian 5.45 and 7.62 rifles both shared the same 45-degree-angled gas blocks until 1986 when they came up with the 5.45mm AKM Model 86 Assault rifle that was almost identical to the Soviet AK-74M, and what was pretty interesting to me was that these rifles were equipped with a four-position selector just like the Polish Tantal and Beryl configurations had. Now,...this is where the variation of the Romanian 5.45 AKM model 86 comes in with the E.German side folding stock(push button) and was intended for airborne and S.F. The Romanians to me were the hardest to keep up with as far as there Military History goes with the AK and all its variations not to even mention the ones for export (like the one pictured above) Absolutely mind boggling. I definitely got to give alot of credit where credit is due to DStorm1911 for the aquired knowledge he has for the Romanian Kalashnikov and its entirity. Sorry if I got alittle off topic here......
T.C. Ken in Pa.

ps. Did I even mention the Intrac MkII.?????? I sure wouldn't mind finding one of these for my collection. They already have the upturned charging handle/bolt config. and correct xxy's on Recvr. A true Ratmil/Romanian.......Ken
AKBuilder7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
gungoat

O.K.,help me here. never heard of Intrac. mkII, which series of romanian did this come from and when?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungoat
O.K.,help me here. never heard of Intrac. mkII, which series of romanian did this come from and when?
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#mkii

It ain't the hardware - it's the man using it.

Home | AK Files Custom Search | PicPaste | ImgDump | ☎ Nalioth
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
cadillacguns

AKaholic #: 4303

I have the Intrac MKII, and several SAR-2's, The Intrac MKII is very accurate, I put a Romanian Folder, SAR wood upper/lower and Romy red grip on it and use E. German and Russian 5.45x39 mags in it with Russian ammo.
My Sar-2's one has Bulgarian black furniture and black mags and the others are stock in the box collectors.

All are nice, I prefer the MKII.
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
gungoat

as always, I buy in hast and repent in leisure.just picked up a new gun. its a romanian in 5.45x39 and has INTRAC ARMS.KNOX TN, RATMIL, made in romania, on one side and CUR 2 545x39 on the other.it has a odd looking bolt /charging handle(curved).it's factory new ,never been shot(my hot button) but its not a mk.II anyone know what I bought?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Etek
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungoat
as always, I buy in hast and repent in leisure.just picked up a new gun. its a romanian in 5.45x39 and has INTRAC ARMS.KNOX TN, RATMIL, made in romania, on one side and CUR 2 545x39 on the other.it has a odd looking bolt /charging handle(curved).it's factory new ,never been shot(my hot button) but its not a mk.II anyone know what I bought?
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#mkii

Looks like you have a CUR 2
Etek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
WolfsburgBob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

AKaholic #: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBuilder7255

I was just about to mention the upcurved charging handle/bolt that these Romanian 5.45 side folders all had that were true to form. A tip of the hat and wave of the hand,...Bob....long time no hear from..??????

Kenny!

How ya been?

I was gonna address DSTORM1911's comment about my lack of an "up-turned" charging handle carrier, but I cannot for the life of me find the last good pics of this AIMS-74 clone right before I let it go.

In the final configuration it had BOTH a correct up-turned charging handle carrier AND a Romanian 5.45 Steel 30 roung mag!

Just can't find that pic!
WolfsburgBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
steel core

AKaholic #: 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
I have a SAR 2, it is one of my favorite rifles.
Mine also. Sweet shooting and minimal recoil.
steel core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Romak MKIIs are very sweet. Buy it if you see one.

They go back nice. Now that I know how EASY it is to change the FSB I would do that. I no longer own this rifle though, darn it. This was in the $300 and less days.

VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
LeibstandarteAdH

AKaholic #: 8516

i have a WASR-2 and like it a lot, i had to send it back to century because apparently the gas block was pinned canted and to the front enough to choke the gas system and cause misfeeds and such. once it came back its been one of my favorite guns, i payed like $289 from aim less than one year ago.
LeibstandarteAdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

Yeah I think I paid $189 each for Romak IIs back in 2001.

AKs are supposed to be inexpensive. It it why they were so popular.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 AM   #17
cadillacguns

AKaholic #: 4303

I was going to mention the back in the days of less than $200 NIB rifles, but ddint think anyone would believe me.....oh how I wish for days like that, I have some cash stashed for this end of month Indy 1500 gun and crap show, but..........Blazer needs shocks and furnace just quit yesterday, (I gues we could survive till October without heat, and avoid all the potholes around here) but where would we find rifle bargains anymore?
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #18
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacguns
I was going to mention the back in the days of less than $200 NIB rifles, but ddint think anyone would believe me.....oh how I wish for days like that, I have some cash stashed for this end of month Indy 1500 gun and crap show, but..........Blazer needs shocks and furnace just quit yesterday, (I gues we could survive till October without heat, and avoid all the potholes around here) but where would we find rifle bargains anymore?

Oh believe me, RIFLE BARGAINS are coming. It won't be much longer before you see all kinds of rifles, parts and ammo being sold at a deep discount by INDIVIDUALS that can no longer afford FOOD and GASOLINE as they scramble for coin.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #19
gunnut1
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 77

There is no choice. The Romak 2. These are true military rifle in Semi only. WASR anything is the worst.

A Sherman can give you a nice, umm-edge"

* TX-FNFAL - A Brigade of One. Pamwe Chete!!*

TEXAS! It's a State of mind!
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #20
Bossman

AKaholic #: 1479

I had a 1997 romakII and it was a fine rifle, very accurate with the romanian 5.45 "match" ammo that was available at the time. When 5.45 became harder to get and all there was to be had was russian surplus which was less accurate than the romanian ammo I traded the rifle off to fund a saiga .308 because ammo was cheap and available at the time........thing cetainly have changed. I would like to have that one back.
Bossman
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote