Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
GavinRay

AKaholic #: 10788
Default Aluma-Hyde II question for Tantal

Read some bad press about using Dupli-color on weapons, so am thinking on using ALUMA-HYDE II on my Tantal. Black semi-gloss on metal parts and flat black on stock parts. My question is will the Aluma-Hyde ll stay on the barrel after prolonged range firing, or start to flake off/bubble up?

Regards...
GavinRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
FAL GRUNT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2164

I have a number of AK's with Aluma-Hyde II on them. The longest running is my Bulgy 74. I have had it for ... 6 years and the finish is still holding up well. The finish has worn down to the park in high wear area's from being carried often and regular use. Otherwise it looks great...

The first time I tried applying I screwed up the Duplicolor, but the second time (after better, more extensive prep... same as what you should do for AlumaHyde) turned out great.

Check out my tantal abomination thread... thats dupli-color. It very closely matches tantal's original finish.

-myers
FAL GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
GavinRay

Just bought the flat black and semi-gloss black Aluma-Hyde II from Brownell's. Now I have to wait for to get a little warmer out.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Jerod

AKaholic #: 8545

The Aluma-hyde II is just fine . It will hold up to Acetone and all the bore solvents I have used over the years. If it is sprayed right and the item was prepped right , it hold up as well as Duracoat . It's not as durable as gunkote but gunkote can be a pain to apply for some folks and you need an oven. Aluma-hyde II is great for the person who is just getting into refinishing. Make sure to degrease your parts well , shake the can well , spray finish from correct distance and then hang the parts and dont touch them for about a week ! The Matte black matches well to several original factory AK finishes . It beats the hell out of the orig. paint applied at the various commie AK factories years ago ! Good luck ! Jerod
Jerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
GavinRay

Copy that. I just received 8-30 round mags and the tantal itself should be arriving by the end of the week. You recommend a specific degreaser to use? Also I've read that lightly sanding the weapon with 220 grit sandpaper works ok. I just want to make sure it's the right grit to use.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
FAL GRUNT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2164

If you can I would blast and park before painting. Wash after park, blow dry, paint, cure.

Are you painting over the existing paint? Give us a little more detail.

thanks

-myers
FAL GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Gottberg

AKaholic #: 10784

I'll just be painting the Tantals forward grip which is polymar (plastic) with the surface appearing to just being spray painted a rud brown in color.

I have the flat black Aluma-hyde and the upper and lower pieces taken off the rifle.

What should I use to degrease..mineral spirits? I was then going to lightly sand all areas with some 240 sandpaper, wipe off with dry towel then give pieces a couple of light coats.

Question: Can I put pieces in oven to speed up drying time? I was thinking around 150 degrees (not sure though) for a couple of hours (again not sure on length of time).

Any help with oven temp and duration time would help. I wouldn't want to open oven door to a glob of plastic.
Gottberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
rocco1911

AKaholic #: 7807
Default I have

I have been using Duplicolor Low gloss black for years & never had a problem just dont use gunscrubber on it. Its as hard & durable as Duracoat & 1/3 the price.
rocco1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
Gottberg

AKaholic #: 10784

I'm ready to spray paint my magazines and front handguard in low gloss black but this fricking winter weather isn't cutting me any slack. It's still a solid month before temps get up around the 50 degree mark! I guess I have time to buy some more mags to get spray painted.
Gottberg is offline   Reply With Quote