Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > Makarov

Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
my-rifle
Chilling like a quarter after five.
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 6179
Default PA-63 in 9x18mm Review?

Has anyone bought one of those Hungarian PA-63 pistols? I don't have anything in the Makarov caliber, and I have some reservations about getting one - like where I can get ammo for it. I'd very much like to get a review of the pistol.

my-rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

mine is an angry little beast, not real pleasent to shoot. I believe that you can get .380 bbls for them
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Snowman
Remember Remember the 5th of Nov

AKaholic #: 8786

I have a PA-63 as well as a Polish P-64 both in 9 mak. I prefer the P-64 even though it has a much worse DA pull. The PA-63 has a better DA pull but it's nothing to get excited about. Neither fits my hand well, and I don't have that large of hands. Like 6526 said, the PA-63 is a beast in a small package. I like the 9 mak round and both pistols perform well and for the price, they are both good guns. J&G still has the 63 for 100 bucks. I think it's a good deal. Or, you could spend a little more and get a CZ-82 in 9 mak which is a MUCH better pistol. You can't go wrong either way.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
my-rifle
Bronze Contributor

Why is it better? I avoid double-stack magazines, because they're pretty much impossible to conceal. They show VERY plainly on me. If it's made better though and draws better I might consider getting one.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
sam smelt

AKaholic #: 9993

I love mine. I got 2. They do jump right up in the front, but that is from no weight. same w/ my kel tec .380 and .40. Cant go wrong what else cost 100 buck...a nagant revolver? But the polish pistols have been recommened here also. Get BOTH!
sam smelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
my-rifle
Bronze Contributor

I have a Makarov IJ-70, and it doesn't have that muzzle flip. How does the PA-63 compare to the Mak? The CZ-52?

I love the Polish madels, but I don't know where to find them. SOG had them briefly, but they disappeared. I sure wish I'd bought that one from the gunshow last year for $175. It was a beautiful gun.

Last edited by my-rifle; 01-17-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Viragos

AKaholic #: 3684

I have a Bulgarian Mak and a PA 63. For CCW the PA 63 is great IWB. Here in Arizona when it gets 115 degrees it's my carry gun. Dosen't print with just tee-shirt and shorts.
As far as shooting it, it takes some range time to get used to it. It has an alumunum frame and a blued steel slide. The recoil is a very harsh snap to the left and the slide will eat your thumb if you're not used to it.
9x18 Mak is a very good round for CCW. Hollow points are common and they won't over penetrate in a Wal Mart parking lot. I don't want to get into a discussion about ammo so much. Obviously a hollow point 45 is better than anything but you have size/weight and cost to factor. 9x18 is a much better round than 380 IMO and not as hot as 9mm luger.
It's not a womens gun even though it looks like one because of the recoil snap. My wife who has a Norinco 45, Mod1911 and is quite a good shot with it tried the PA63 and took the leg out of the target stand with the second shot. She'll never live that down.

All in all I like the gun once I got to know it and it's by my side 8 mos out of the year.
In winter it's a Makarov in a Shoulder holster. Still in 9X18.
Hope this helps
Viragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
16r40
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-rifle
I love the Polish madels, but I don't know where to find them.
here is one : http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=90123747

this one comes with a extra mag, which normally sell for 20 bucks. and it doesn't have the stupid "thumb rest" grip, which is a plus

I lucked out and bought a P-64 at a gun show last year, that didn't have "x18" after 9mm, and the word "makarov" stamped on the slide.

General William Tecumseh Sherman
16r40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-rifle
Why is it better? I avoid double-stack magazines, because they're pretty much impossible to conceal. They show VERY plainly on me. If it's made better though and draws better I might consider getting one.
I didn't know you wanted it for CCW. The CZ-82 is definitely better made and much more accurate, IMHO, at least I'm more accurate with it. The P-64 and PA-63 are both fairly slim, with the 63 being lighter. If I was to conceal, I'd probably go with the 63.

16r40

My 64 does have the "Makarov" and "x18" stamped on it. I've never seen one without it. Nice find. I put a set of wood grips from Dennis at http://marschalgrips.com/ on mine. It makes the grip fit my hand much better.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
my-rifle
Bronze Contributor

It's not necessarily for a CCW, but that's the only practical use I have for a handgun. I also enjoy just shooting them, but for recreation I'm generally a long gun man.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Redotsnifer

AKaholic #: 4779

9x18 Mak Ammo ?

I've never bought factory ammo. I roll my own.

The brass is reformed from 9mm lugar and the bullets are cast from wheel weights.

Average cost per 1000 loaded rounds $31.00

They cut nice clean holes in paper. The only downfall is that I prefer wheelguns.
Redotsnifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
my-rifle
Bronze Contributor

Oh boy. Reloading. Just what I need: another hobby to take me away from my family. I would very much like to reload, but spending entire evenings in the shop pressing out bullets is something that's going to have to wait awhile. I already have to beg, borrow, and steal time from my wife as it is when I build AK's.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
Wakko

AKaholic #: 10054

I sold two of my PA63s. The DA trigger was just plain animal, and they're nasty to shoot. I'd rather pay more and get something else.
Wakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
FAL GRUNT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2164

I prefer my CZ-82 over my pa-63. DA on the pa-63 is impossible. I bought a total of 3, the one I kept is atrocious for DA, great gun for SA though.

CZ gives me 5 more rounds(12+1 vs 7+1) and while it is a little thicker, it doesn't print much. This of course is a chore when you are 6'1" and 130lbs.

I shot the pa-63 alot over the summer and prefer the CZ for accuracy. The CZ still bites and is rough after 100 rounds, but it is less than the pa-63.

Redotsnifer we need to do some trading so I can get some lead from you...

-myers
FAL GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
Boognish

AKaholic #: 7791

Why does everybody on the interwebs complain about the PA63's recoil? It's a puppy dog. I've got fairly large, slender hands, and the curved backstrap is comfortable enough for long range sessions. The availability of ammo is what causes me not to shoot mine very often. But when I do find ammo, it's spent as fast as possible.

Mine took some breaking in and feed ramp dickering to get it to eat Hornady 95gr JHP's, but now it works just fine...most of the time. I'm sure RN FMJ's would feed more reliably, but Hornady 25 round boxes are all I can find here. My only complaints are that the grip panels feel cheesy, the mags don't eject with much gusto, and that the DA pull sucks. I usually cock the hammer for the first shot anyways, so the trigger pull is not a problem.

All in all, very neat and fun little pistol. I picked up mine in new condition for $150 and it was worth every penny. If you plan to CCW it, Uncle Mike's IWB Sidekick in #1 size works ok.
Boognish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Snowman

Boog,

There's plenty of ammo to found, just gotta order it.

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/i...karov-fmj-ammo
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/amm...ov/cPath/25_30

I really like the Silver Bear stuff myself. The 9 Mak is a nice round IMHO.
- Ted Nugent
Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
Valkyrie0002

AKaholic #: 1440

I bought the P64 a couple years ago and found I can shoot it very well to 50' after I replaced the trigger spring. Fits my big hands well with my pinky under the mag base. I bought a PA-63 this spring at the fun show for about $150 OTD which was a good price then. I took it to the range with the same reloads I used in the P64 and I had a hard time staying on the target with it.

I like the P64 better for concealed carry because it is smaller and the recoil is not a problem for me.
Valkyrie0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #18
be-rad777

AKaholic #: 10686

I just bought a PA63 yesterday. I haven't gone to shoot yet but do appreciate the feed back on it. (I am new to the board) And hello to all !
be-rad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #19
RonR

AKaholic #: 7013

I've owned my PA-63 for over 10 years now. Don't shoot it too much because it is a painful one to shoot...always gets first knuckle on my thumb!! It is small and good for concealed carry.

After owning a few other pistols, I'd say unless you're buying for budget or history--save up and find a pistol you will ENJOY shooting...that's how you'll get to be a good shot with it.

Ron
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 AM   #20
dstorm1911
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4307

CZ 82, much much 120% better gun, the double action feels almost Identical to my S&W M66s, the trigger actually resets itself in single action (just like a revolver in single action) for a very short crisp pull rather than the long creepy pull found on most DA/SA guns, super accuracy, very reliable, western style mag release which is Ambidextrous, great sights (ya will probably needa repaint the glow insert, just fill the cuts with Phos. paint) very comfortable grip which points naturally, By far the best 9x18 ya can get and the grip is only slightly wider than a single stack Mak but alot more comfortable. get a spare CZ 83 barrel (the civilian version) and ya can convert from military 9x18 Polygonal barrel to .380 standard rifled barrel if ya want...
Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
gunbug

AKaholic #: 4444

I bought a CZ82 and PA63 on the same day, prefer the CZ also. Now, the 63 was 99 and the CZ was 199--so, do I like it twice as much? Hmm...

Downsides to the 63 tiny sights and a harsh bark of recoil. Also, look at makarov com for their info on this--seems like the factory spring will wear out quickly and beat the allow frame to oblivion...well, not that dire, but still wolf springs seem to be a wise investment and will tame the beast a bit as well. I love it as an "extra" gun.
gunbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
CPO TED
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6044

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbug
Downsides to the 63 tiny sights and a harsh bark of recoil. Also, look at makarov com for their info on this--seems like the factory spring will wear out quickly and beat the allow frame to oblivion...well, not that dire, but still wolf springs seem to be a wise investment and will tame the beast a bit as well. I love it as an "extra" gun.

I bought the steel framed P-64 because I had some concerns with the alloy frame of the P-63. It was just a couple of dollars more so it was worth it for me.

Folks that put the two side by side say the workmanship, fit and finish on the P-64 is somewhat better...I dunno...

Negatives? Like everybody else...D/A is REAL stiff. Other than that...its seems OK.

I like its size and shape for ccw...I just can't seem to hide a big frame auto anywhere on me...Even my S&W Mod. 19 3 inch sticks out like a dam artillery piece.

The truth be told...I wish I could hide my Smith a little better...I REALLY love that old gal.

Gee...as I think about it....I've had that Smith since 1977. NEVER a problem with it.

CPO T
CPO TED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #23
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4865

I got one last month-they r brutal to ur hands! lol. Just got my wollf recoil spring in 15 lb tension, cause i read that it'd make it more forgiving w/less felt recoil. I'm relatively new to hand guns, but it's absolutely a blast to shoot! i actually can't get enough of it! just burned thru a box of lellier & bellot MAKAROV FMJ-but had to get another 2 boxes! lol. they seem to lift dirt off the ground heavily-kinda like a 47 digs the dirt-up! Yup lotta bang for the buck. mine was $99.00 but came up to$170-otd!

mines a bitch to cock! doused sum gun oil in near the hammer and it seems to lighten the pull when ya cock it... it's diffenelty not for the weak wristed folk's! gotta man handle it. maybe it's just stiff for sitting in a warehouse for many yrs? over all i am pleased with mine! ya can't complain to get a gun that can save ur hide for $99.00 ) +ffl FEES.

Last edited by jwc0506; 03-12-2008 at 01:01 AM.
jwc0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #24
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR
I've owned my PA-63 for over 10 years now. Don't shoot it too much because it is a painful one to shoot...always gets first knuckle on my thumb!! It is small and good for concealed carry.

After owning a few other pistols, I'd say unless you're buying for budget or history--save up and find a pistol you will ENJOY shooting...that's how you'll get to be a good shot with it.

Ron
TIP: hold it firmly so that it doesnt have any play in ur hands.... trust me it helps! and squeeze rather then pull the trigger and ya get more accuracy. might want to get the heavier 15 lb wolf recoil spring, i just got one and will post with results when i get to it. also i keep my shooting arms elbow bent slightly and firm up my wrist as i fire. it all seems to lower that beastie jolt of the pa63!

Last edited by jwc0506; 03-12-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #25
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-rad777
I just bought a PA63 yesterday. I haven't gone to shoot yet but do appreciate the feed back on it. (I am new to the board) And hello to all !
suggestion; clean it and oil real good before you fire it! also learn how to operate it before you -let her rip! just take ur time, ask questions when in doubt. be safe and NEVER have it aimed at your extremities-knor those of others. play safe!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #26
jacattak

AKaholic #: 11120

I love mine, well maybe because it's the very first handgun I ever owned.
It does have a "bit" of recoil, but if you have smaller hands like I seem to
have, it doesn't seem to be as bad. My Father's huge hands, he says it kills.
Go figure. Anyway, GREAT for concealed carry, 9x18mak has good
stopping power, and I kinda like the weird original grips.
$168 otd at a gun show with 3 mags ! Good overall buy and a hoot
to shoot ! Accuracy beyond 75 feet is a bit iffy though.
IMHO
Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #27
jwc0506
Curio & Relic

jacatek-get one of these 15 lb springs i just got one! http://makarov.com/cart/vitempa63.htm
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #28

AKaholic #: 2872

In the PA-63 put in a 15# recoil spring and a 9# hammer spring and it will make a completely different gun out of it. The 15# recoil spring will lighten the perceived recoil and snap. The 9# hammer spring will make the difference between daylight and dark in the DA trigger pull. I got both of mine form Wolff springs.

Try it you will like it.
9026543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #29
nottheone

AKaholic #: 156335
Default Pa-63

I have a pa-63.It is a nice ccw piece once you upgrade the springs to ease the nutcracker trigger.The factory hammer spring setup is a 17#spring .Get yourself a spring kit from Wolff gun springs.I tried the 9# hammer spring & a 15# recoil spring(it eases the muzzle flip a little),but the 9# hammer spring was too weak .It didn't have enough tension to smack the primers every time ,resulting in misfires.For every 10 rounds or so,2 wouldn't fire.Get the 11# hammer spring. I would get the kit. It's not that much more than ordering the springs seperate,it comes with a 9,11,14,& 16 pound hammer springs,various recoil springs and a high power firing pin spring,I also changed to the high power firing pin spring,(but it's not necessary).Or just get the 11# hammer and the 15# recoil spring.I put 200 round thru it with the 11# setup without a single problem. I also got a set of custom grips.But that's all personal preferance to the shooter.She will shoot any brand FMJ.The only HP's i've tried were Hornadys and they fire without problems.I have heard other HP bullets misfeed or jam.I haven't tried any other brands except Hornadys. Oh and watch your thumb ,keep it low enough on the grip so it doesn't get clipped by the slide when it comes back .But the pistol is a nice little ccw piece once the spring kit is done.

Last edited by nottheone; 03-20-2011 at 03:09 AM.
nottheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #30
Prophet67
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 60710

I had a PA-63 (FEG Hungary). It is/was a barker for sure as far as muzzle flip is concerned. Trigger pull was a beast till I snipped a little off of the spring then it was pretty damn decent I must say. For a $100.00-$150.00 pistol they're decent enough. I sold it to a buddy and he still has it and loves it for what it is...
Prophet67 is offline   Reply With Quote