Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
gonzogeezer

AKaholic #: 193584
Default Another Noob question: hypothetical scenario

Apologies if I missed any old posts covering this.

Hypothetical scenario. If one buys an AK built using an imported parts kit, and the builder used his required minimum of 10 US-sourced parts, and say one of those 10 parts was the pistol grip (which I understand is a common practice), and the buyer replaces that grip with one from the country of origin of the parts kit, has the gun now become illegal? Or can the buyer do this so long as it is not resold?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

922r is for manufacturers.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
AK-104
Swollen Member

AKaholic #: 162667

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
922r is for manufacturers.
I'm not an attorney, but I am a cop. In fact, one who has worked with folks from the BATFE more than a few times over the years and witnessed their responses of "WTF are you talking about" when I've asked them this very thing. With that said, I believe Nalioth is 100% spot on, and I don't believe the law was ever intended to apply to the end user. I wouldn't sweat it unless you're the manufacturer. Then again, as I stated... I'm not an attorney. We all calculate our potential for risk, and react accordingly. I'm personally not worried about 922r.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Change your grip.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
dArK 47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167665

Manufacturing or not - do the "maths"... ten minus one is... oh wait - gotta do our CommieCore stuff. Let's see, there are mountains in Switzerland, so carry the two, Bob's your uncle so add three.... oh! And White America is evil. Equals nine - so non-922r(etard).
dArK 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
Beef Supreme
Banned

AKaholic #: 169662

Following the law..... lol
Beef Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
gonzogeezer

Thanks, guys.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Sell that US Palm grip for $100 and get a surplus one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
gonzogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Sell that US Palm grip for $100 and get a surplus one!
I wish! It's a cheap black one and I am putting an original Bulgy one on.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:31 AM   #10
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post
I'm not an attorney, but I am a cop. In fact, one who has worked with folks from the BATFE more than a few times over the years and witnessed their responses of "WTF are you talking about" when I've asked them this very thing. With that said, I believe Nalioth is 100% spot on, and I don't believe the law was ever intended to apply to the end user. I wouldn't sweat it unless you're the manufacturer. Then again, as I stated... I'm not an attorney. We all calculate our potential for risk, and react accordingly. I'm personally not worried about 922r.
Actual attorneys involved in daily weapons cases and 2A wrangling in CA have posted the same thing over on Calguns.
Steve_In_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:44 AM   #11
def90
Banned

AKaholic #: 154917

Can anyone link to an actual 922r case/conviction that wasn't part of an add on to a multitude of other charges in a much larger case?

In addition to that my local gunsmith is a Sheriffs Deputy and he has built his own FALs and AKs over the years and he flat out stated to me that not a single person in his department knows what 922r is or means..
def90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:01 AM   #12
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

AK-104/def90: Former LEOs and regular civilian members of our private club also have no idea what 922r is.

Sticking a 20-rd. mag into an Original MAK 90 never turns any head, prompts no questions.
Putting a 20-rd. SGM mag into a Stock .223 Saiga, or standard butt stock on the MAK 90 does nothing. An AK (to them) is just a crude gun, and why would anybody be interested where identical internal components were made.?

People Are aware of minimum barrel lengths (if not SBR).

Most simply are not interested in shooting any of these guns, nor looking at them, and literally don't give a damn about the "government chicken s**t 922r" trivia.
They are into scopes, other SEAL/Green Beret gear, or placing Glock bullet groups into a target (mugger) who telegraphs his hostile intentions at 12 o'clock.

The ATF is so understaffed, they can't begin to keep up with many FFLs, drug gangs' gun thefts, MS-13 sawed-off guns, ISIS self-sponsored types. We should worry about 922r??
Former Apparatchik Eric Holder was much more interested in pressuring AZ gun shops to sell to very seedy people, so it could lead to our media blaming the US gun shop industry for more Mex. gang murders., more regulations etc.

Last edited by Laufer; 08-26-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Laufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:01 AM   #13
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

Quote:
Originally Posted by dArK 47 View Post
Manufacturing or not - do the "maths"... ten minus one is... oh wait - gotta do our CommieCore stuff. Let's see, there are mountains in Switzerland, so carry the two, Bob's your uncle so add three.... oh! And White America is evil. Equals nine - so non-922r(etard).
dude,,,,,quit givin bum guage

you forgot to multiply by pie and divide by zero

if you skip those yer goin to assraping jail
6526 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:33 AM   #14
LXD55
Banned

AKaholic #: 177980

.14 or .141?
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
Epaminondas

AKaholic #: 178042

Swap out a mag spring, follower or floor plate if you really are worried about it.
Epaminondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #16
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaminondas View Post
Swap out a mag spring, follower or floor plate if you really are worried about it.
When's the last time you read the 922r law?

( apparently, it's been a while - if ever )
Old 08-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #17
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

As has been stated above, 922r applies to manufacturers.

Beyond that, you've got you numbers all mixed up. 922r does not require a minimum of 10 US parts. It requires no more than 10 imported parts.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #18
gonzogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
As has been stated above, 922r applies to manufacturers.

Beyond that, you've got you numbers all mixed up. 922r does not require a minimum of 10 US parts. It requires no more than 10 imported parts.
Yes, I did screw that up. That's what I get for trusting synopses. I read the reg myself and saw my error.

I looked with interest at your post linked in your sig...but photofucket now makes it essentially unreadable. Did you ever post it anywhere else? It would be a nice reference going forward.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogeezer View Post
Yes, I did screw that up. That's what I get for trusting synopses. I read the reg myself and saw my error.

I looked with interest at your post linked in your sig...but photofucket now makes it essentially unreadable. Did you ever post it anywhere else? It would be a nice reference going forward.
I do... since we've already bumped into each other on facebook, I'll share over there on the 74 group.

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
chknfkr

I'm having trouble getting the album to upload to the group so I've sent you a private message of fbook

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
Old 08-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
I'm having trouble getting the album to upload to the group so I've sent you a private message of fbook
Did you get my PM?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #22
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
Did you get my PM?
I did. PM inbound.

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
Old 08-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #23
jp10

AKaholic #: 186247

I believe what causes the confusion is that the term "assemble" is not clearly defined as manufacturing and can be interpreted to the simple assembly/disassembly of a firearm in your own home.

for reference:

18 U.S.C. 922(r)

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to -

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

27 CFR 478.39 - ASSEMBLY OF NON-SPORTING SHOTGUNS AND SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES FROM IMPORTED PARTS

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.
I am trying to find peace, trying to stay together, please don't fight each other here, i'm done with petty shit, we may have differences here and there, but we are not like the hateful left, they are trying to destroy our unity, our country. I won't be destroyed by this.
jp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #24
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

In any event, the actual crime is "assembly", not mere possession. The burden of proof is still on the prosecution, so barring an admission of guilt, the reg is essentially unenforceable on an individual. "I bought it like that" is all you need to remember when asked.
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote