Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Vendor Discussion Forums > Atlantic Firearms

Notices

Old 07-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
ForTheCorps

AKaholic #: 187239
Default M72B1 Yugo RPK carbine James River Armory

Are you guys expecting to get anymore in stock?
ForTheCorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheCorps View Post
Are you guys expecting to get anymore in stock?
According to Blaine probably not anytime soon. They were a small batch but possibly.
The full size ones? Probably not because those were select kits that have been exhausted.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

We are not expecting more of the full sized at this time ,On the carbines we did them because we thought there were neat and wanted a few for our range ,We were not expecting them to be so popular . Hope to do a small number of carbines again in the next month or so .

Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
ForTheCorps

I'll keep it on my radar for the next batch.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Malev
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 64827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
Hope to do a small number of carbines again in the next month or so .

Will the next batch of carbines be JRA or Atlantic Arms Mfg builds? I would love a BFPU style M72 shorty
Malev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

At this time James River builds on the premium kits after that not sure because that kits supply will be exhausted .
Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

Boy,these are cool. Any word if any more coming down the pipe?
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

Hope to see a small batch of them soon
Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
ForTheCorps

Received the notification today and ordered one.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
ForTheCorps

I'm disappointed in the build quality for the price. My biggest complaint is that Yugo mags can't even be used with it, not even the one that came with it. There are other things I should've caught prior to accepting the transfer, but shame on me for that.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I'm disappointed in the build quality for the price. My biggest complaint is that Yugo mags can't even be used with it, not even the one that came with it. There are other things I should've caught prior to accepting the transfer, but shame on me for that.
Please elaborate with pics of what is at issue. I have one too.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
ForTheCorps

Gas tube lever was forced and a PITA to remove the gas tube. See the gall marks?

Front sling attachment was collapsed and cracked.

Yeah, maybe I'm nitpicking and its all repairable. But I expect quality that exceeds a Century build for the price. I could have bought another VEPR or an Arsenal for a little more.

So far the only mags I have that fit are Hungarian, cheap 20 round Korean and Magpul.

The finish isn't bad and the safety lever is smooth. If you're going to build a Yugo, at least make sure the Yugo mags work. I can't even seat them and I've tried 10 of them.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Gas tube lever was forced and a PITA to remove the gas tube. See the gall marks?

Front sling attachment was collapsed and cracked.

Yeah, maybe I'm nitpicking and its all repairable. But I expect quality that exceeds a Century build for the price. I could have bought another VEPR or an Arsenal for a little more.

So far the only mags I have that fit are Hungarian, cheap 20 round Korean and Magpul.

The finish isn't bad and the safety lever is smooth. If you're going to build a Yugo, at least make sure the Yugo mags work. I can't even seat them and I've tried 10 of them.
Not if you paid close to 1K.
I have one of the first batch that was supposedly from excellent or unissued parts sets. The quality is excellent and there are no issues except, dig the trunnion. What did they demill this with an f’in bullldozer?? It does not match the rest of the gun and most worrisome is the longitudinal gouge from the breech to the locking lug and how deep it is and if the overall structural integrity of the trunnion is compromised. The mag mine came with fit, albeit tight. Bakelites no problem.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
ForTheCorps

Wow! That makes me feel bad for bitching about mine.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
ForTheCorps

Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Wow! That makes me feel bad for bitching about mine.
It looks a lot worse than it actually is but still. Everything else on the gun is pristine and even has the H3 vial in the front sight.
Is your bolt nickeled? Mine is just in the white. I know the carriers are but I thought I read where both are.

This is another members full-size JRA M72.

This is an unissued, demilled trunnion stub.

Last edited by ddnc; 10-23-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #17
ForTheCorps

I believe mine is nickeled or has some kind of coating. There are no serial numbers on it anywhere and it definitely looks different than all of my other Yugo bolts/carriers.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #18
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I believe mine is nickeled or has some kind of coating. There are no serial numbers on it anywhere and it definitely looks different than all of my other Yugo bolts/carriers.
Would you mind a pic? Numbers on mine for sure.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
ForTheCorps

I came home and finally got a better look at it. Mine is in the white too. It has more of a satin finish and that's what threw me off. No serial number on the bolt or carrier.

My O-PAP has more of a polished/brushed finish to it.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #20
Malev
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your problem. I snagged one from Atlantic's first batch. I never bought a JRA product before so I had three guys familiar with AKs at my LGS look it over before I took delivery, just in case I missed something. Everyone was impressed with the build. FWIW mine does not insert the new mag that it shipped with, maybe it is one of those new manufacture Croatian mags that need some fitting to lock in. I tried variety of surplus Yugo and Chugos mags from AIM & also some Romy & Hungarian mags, they all work fine.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #21
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I came home and finally got a better look at it. Mine is in the white too. It has more of a satin finish and that's what threw me off. No serial number on the bolt or carrier.

My O-PAP has more of a polished/brushed finish to it.

That’s what I thought. Mine is polished and the JRA serial # etched on it but the original electro-pencil # is also visible. Different number.
What the hell is with the trunnions?? Yours looks like mine. Drunk Serbs???

You can see the difference in the nickel vs bare steel. I guess on the second batch they didn’t include the buttstock/ receiver cover serial numbers and again the BHO mag that came with it works without issue.

Last edited by ddnc; 10-23-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #22
ForTheCorps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malev View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem. I snagged one from Atlantic's first batch. I never bought a JRA product before so I had three guys familiar with AKs at my LGS look it over before I took delivery, just in case I missed something. Everyone was impressed with the build. FWIW mine does not insert the new mag that it shipped with, maybe it is one of those new manufacture Croatian mags that need some fitting to lock in. I tried variety of surplus Yugo and Chugos mags from AIM & also some Romy & Hungarian mags, they all work fine.
I bought a bunch of the Yugo BHO mags from AIM when they were $5 a piece. I'm really bummed out that they don't work in this gun.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #23
ForTheCorps

The experience I've had with a few guns recently is really pushing me to start building my own. I have the technical/mechanical background and attention to detail. I just know if I invest in the tooling it's going to snowball into another money pit. Shoddy craftsmanship bugs the living shit out of me.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #24
Malev
Veteran Member

Quote:
The experience I've had with a few guns recently is really pushing me to start building my own. I have the technical/mechanical background and attention to detail. I just know if I invest in the tooling it's going to snowball into another money pit. Shoddy craftsmanship bugs the living shit out of me.
I think you can purchase most of the build equipment at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price and sell it if you get out of the hobby. My brother RIP who was a machinist, as was my father, made a pretty good living buying surplus military industrial equipment he bought at GSA auctions across the country. He said the tooling the military put away in bunkers for doomsday was better quality than the stuff nowadays. I used to work at my brother's machinery shop as a kid to save money for my dream car, a Jag XKE...wish I learned the trade instead of going to college

I am collecting the parts needed to build another M72 Khyber carbine and plan to send it off to JBI Armory to build as a bfpu side-folder. I got a kit from APEX and Tula skeleton folder from RogersNative, just need a few other parts, barrel and Childers receiver.

I hope Atlantic Arms Mfg will offer their own version of the M72 carbine, I think a reasonably priced bfpu version along the lines of their recent Romy AKM and m92 folder builds would sell well
Old 10-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #25
ForTheCorps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malev View Post
I think you can purchase most of the build equipment at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price and sell it if you get out of the hobby. My brother RIP who was a machinist, as was my father, made a pretty good living buying surplus military industrial equipment he bought at GSA auctions across the country. He said the tooling the military put away in bunkers for doomsday was better quality than the stuff nowadays. I used to work at my brother's machinery shop as a kid to save money for my dream car, a Jag XKE...wish I learned the trade instead of going to college

I am collecting the parts needed to build another M72 Khyber carbine and plan to send it off to JBI Armory to build as a bfpu side-folder. I got a kit from APEX and Tula skeleton folder from RogersNative, just need a few other parts, barrel and Childers receiver.

I hope Atlantic Arms Mfg will offer their own version of the M72 carbine, I think a reasonably priced bfpu version along the lines of their recent Romy AKM and m92 folder builds would sell well
What I was implying about the money pit is the amount of projects I'd be dumping money into because Im going to have to justify buying the tools . I tend to get consumed by things once I'm interested in them.

I have buddies from my last job that are machinists. If I ever needed favors it wouldn't be a problem. The only tooling I'd probably need are specific jigs and a press although I have access to one at work. I've thought about this before and casually looked into it. I might get serious about it one of these days.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
ForTheCorps

Update: Contacted JRA regarding the issues and they're willing to repair it.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #27
Dogman

AKaholic #: 173996

So
JAMES river armory is gtg?
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
So
JAMES river armory is gtg?
Classic is selling these now for $799.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #29
ForTheCorps

I got mine back today and they fixed everything. So far I'm pleased. Now I need to go shoot it and see how it does.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #30
ncreptile
Bill the Butcher for President
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Atlantic planning on having any more of these? I see classic has them for a bit cheaper but I'd frankly rather spend a bit more and give my business to you guys rather than give that company a dime. Looks like an interesting novelty AK to have.
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #31
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
Atlantic planning on having any more of these? I see classic has them for a bit cheaper but I'd frankly rather spend a bit more and give my business to you guys rather than give that company a dime. Looks like an interesting novelty AK to have.
Just so you know the original batch that Atlantic was offering was made from unissued/ or like new matching premium kits. If you go back in this thread I believe Blaine alluded to this and mentioned at this time a second batch which has come and gone would not be of the same quality as those kits had become exhausted.
I have seen no pics or reviews of the ones Classic offered but what they had was after Atlantic was sold out on both the first and second batches.
How this all relates to your question is unknown but classic is OOS on these and its undetermined whether Atlantic will ever have these back.
Many times Blaine will not accept guns that he or his staff deem of questionable quality.
The first batch were really, really nice though.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #32
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

We have a small number of select kits left that we will be built by Atlantic Arms MFG with Childers receivers . The AA MFG builds have a much higher attention to detail and the finish is beautiful. I do not anticipate that the build team will have time to work on these until mid 2018 as they are already lined up with Polish Rifle production with WBP.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #33
ncreptile
Bill the Butcher for President
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Sounds good. I'll be waiting.
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #34
ForTheCorps

I finally got a chance to shoot mine today and it's good to go! I ran about 240 rounds through it with absolutely no hiccups. I was shooting GT and Tula 8M3. I did put a Wolff extra power recoil spring in it before I shot it though.

Last edited by ForTheCorps; 12-03-2017 at 08:17 PM.