Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
chromestarhustler
Member
 
AKaholic #: 7981
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: kansas
Posts: 35
Default nhm91 value

killed my mak90 underfolder, got back to drop of my buddy and the neighbor comes over. we talk about the incident with my mak. walks in side brings out an almost brand new nhm91. says his dad has been storing a lot of rifles at his house and alot are for sell, says you want it 350.

what do you think?
its got a collapsable bipod, thumbhole stock.

can the furniture be changed out to something not butthole and not wood? crappy? good? anything i should know?

get it or not?
chromestarhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Arkan
Senior Member
 
Arkan's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5923
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 918
Default

350 for an NHM91 sounds good. I think it is a good gun. Check to see if the little rivet is there by the mag release. That can be taken off so one can use regular AK mags. I don't see why you can not put america parts on it to have a pistol grip. How did you kill your Mak-90?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=84542529
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=85002177
Arkan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic
 
allesennogwat's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 3738
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 37,627
Default

Usually the NHM-91 takes standard buttstocks. There is the rarer milled receiver with a Type 2 receiver cut off in the rear end. Some had underfolder stamped receivers but usually those are 223 and not so common. Sounds like a standard stamped receiver NHM-91. The bipod legs won't stay up no matter how tight you turn the thumb screws. The inside parts are usually the softest of he Chinese parts but the receiver, trunnion and barrel are decent quality. If it's all original it's worth the $350. It may have a rivet behind the magazine allowing only the mags that came with it to seat properly. This wasn't a legal requirement and the rivet can be remove to accept standard AK magazines.
__________________
Daraclor: A brand of anti-malaria pills which we had to drink every week while on the border. Legend had it that these would make you turn yellow and that you wouldn't be able to tan.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
lsmurphy
Banned
 
lsmurphy's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 6789
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lost
Posts: 25,223
Default



Here's what you can do with one. If you can get it for $350 you better jump fast or tell me who so I can buy it.

Scott














Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestarhustler
killed my mak90 underfolder, got back to drop of my buddy and the neighbor comes over. we talk about the incident with my mak. walks in side brings out an almost brand new nhm91. says his dad has been storing a lot of rifles at his house and alot are for sell, says you want it 350.

what do you think?
its got a collapsable bipod, thumbhole stock.

can the furniture be changed out to something not butthole and not wood? crappy? good? anything i should know?

get it or not?
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
lsmurphy
Banned
 
lsmurphy's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 6789
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lost
Posts: 25,223
Default

Find out if he has more. I want one at that price.


Scott
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
Gunnuts
Member
 
AKaholic #: 7566
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Here's what you can do with one.
I have a NHM-91 and would love to add a RPK style stock. Where can I get one and approximately how much wil it set me back?

Blue Book says a 70% NHM-91 is worth $350....if it looks better than that, be jumping on it.

Last edited by Gunnuts; 11-12-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Gunnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
lsmurphy
Banned
 
lsmurphy's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 6789
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lost
Posts: 25,223
Default

PM me.

Scott



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnuts
I have a NHM-91 and would love to add a RPK style stock. Where can I get one and approximately how much wil it set me back?

Blue Book says a 70% NHM-91 is worth $350....if it looks better than that, be jumping on it.
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
chromestarhustler
Member
 
AKaholic #: 7981
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: kansas
Posts: 35
Default

i have no idea whats a type 2 or anything else. i know the difference between a milled and stamped thats it.
this is only gonna be my second ak. the mak was my first, tried to get someone local to help me build but no luck, and everyone said to build a decent ak was gonna cost a little over 200, so i got the mak. i would like to put black furniture on these is it possible?
chromestarhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic
 
allesennogwat's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 3738
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 37,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestarhustler
i have no idea whats a type 2 or anything else. i know the difference between a milled and stamped thats it.
this is only gonna be my second ak. the mak was my first, tried to get someone local to help me build but no luck, and everyone said to build a decent ak was gonna cost a little over 200, so i got the mak. i would like to put black furniture on these is it possible?

the lower handguard has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. Also check the vertical thickness of the handguard. The buttstock has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. The bottom has to have some material removed that goes in the rear of the receiver. The Chinese tang is about a 1/4 inch longer. You can leave the top alone if you use only one screw and the buttstock a 1/4 inch farther out of the receivr. You can cut the buttstock for the longer tang and cut it to go under the rear trunnion block at the top edge. Then two screws can be used. I think the Chinese pistol grip screw is too short for a standard AKM pistol grip so a long screw will be required.
__________________
Daraclor: A brand of anti-malaria pills which we had to drink every week while on the border. Legend had it that these would make you turn yellow and that you wouldn't be able to tan.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
lsmurphy
Banned
 
lsmurphy's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 6789
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lost
Posts: 25,223
Default

Yep, not really interchangeable.

Scott



Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat
the lower handguard has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. Also check the vertical thickness of the handguard. The buttstock has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. The bottom has to have some material removed that goes in the rear of the receiver. The Chinese tang is about a 1/4 inch longer. You can leave the top alone if you use only one screw and the buttstock a 1/4 inch farther out of the receivr. You can cut the buttstock for the longer tang and cut it to go under the rear trunnion block at the top edge. Then two screws can be used. I think the Chinese pistol grip screw is too short for a standard AKM pistol grip so a long screw will be required.
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
chromestarhustler
Member
 
AKaholic #: 7981
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: kansas
Posts: 35
Default

allesennogwat seems like some fitting i aint afraid of that. which set is gonna be the better choice to put on a plum set of russian rpk furniture hot dyed black, or kvars black set with the standard ak buttstock which i like more, will it fit will the same trimming. thanks
chromestarhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic
 
allesennogwat's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 3738
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 37,627
Default

The RPK buttstock shouldn't have to be narrowed but maybe clearanced for the rear trunnion. The RPK handguards may not fit at all. Standard AK handguards fit but usually have to have material removed from the inside to clear the NHM-91'sfatter barrel.
__________________
Daraclor: A brand of anti-malaria pills which we had to drink every week while on the border. Legend had it that these would make you turn yellow and that you wouldn't be able to tan.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.