Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
chromestarhustler

AKaholic #: 7981
Default nhm91 value

killed my mak90 underfolder, got back to drop of my buddy and the neighbor comes over. we talk about the incident with my mak. walks in side brings out an almost brand new nhm91. says his dad has been storing a lot of rifles at his house and alot are for sell, says you want it 350.

what do you think?
its got a collapsable bipod, thumbhole stock.

can the furniture be changed out to something not butthole and not wood? crappy? good? anything i should know?

get it or not?
chromestarhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Arkan

AKaholic #: 5923

350 for an NHM91 sounds good. I think it is a good gun. Check to see if the little rivet is there by the mag release. That can be taken off so one can use regular AK mags. I don't see why you can not put america parts on it to have a pistol grip. How did you kill your Mak-90?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=84542529
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=85002177
Arkan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Usually the NHM-91 takes standard buttstocks. There is the rarer milled receiver with a Type 2 receiver cut off in the rear end. Some had underfolder stamped receivers but usually those are 223 and not so common. Sounds like a standard stamped receiver NHM-91. The bipod legs won't stay up no matter how tight you turn the thumb screws. The inside parts are usually the softest of he Chinese parts but the receiver, trunnion and barrel are decent quality. If it's all original it's worth the $350. It may have a rivet behind the magazine allowing only the mags that came with it to seat properly. This wasn't a legal requirement and the rivet can be remove to accept standard AK magazines.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
lsmurphy
Banned

AKaholic #: 6789

Here's what you can do with one. If you can get it for $350 you better jump fast or tell me who so I can buy it.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestarhustler
killed my mak90 underfolder, got back to drop of my buddy and the neighbor comes over. we talk about the incident with my mak. walks in side brings out an almost brand new nhm91. says his dad has been storing a lot of rifles at his house and alot are for sell, says you want it 350.

what do you think?
its got a collapsable bipod, thumbhole stock.

can the furniture be changed out to something not butthole and not wood? crappy? good? anything i should know?

get it or not?
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
lsmurphy
Banned

Find out if he has more. I want one at that price.

Scott
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
Gunnuts

AKaholic #: 7566

Quote:
Here's what you can do with one.
I have a NHM-91 and would love to add a RPK style stock. Where can I get one and approximately how much wil it set me back?

Blue Book says a 70% NHM-91 is worth $350....if it looks better than that, be jumping on it.

Last edited by Gunnuts; 11-12-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Gunnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
lsmurphy
Banned

PM me.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnuts
I have a NHM-91 and would love to add a RPK style stock. Where can I get one and approximately how much wil it set me back?

Blue Book says a 70% NHM-91 is worth $350....if it looks better than that, be jumping on it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
chromestarhustler

i have no idea whats a type 2 or anything else. i know the difference between a milled and stamped thats it.
this is only gonna be my second ak. the mak was my first, tried to get someone local to help me build but no luck, and everyone said to build a decent ak was gonna cost a little over 200, so i got the mak. i would like to put black furniture on these is it possible?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromestarhustler
i have no idea whats a type 2 or anything else. i know the difference between a milled and stamped thats it.
this is only gonna be my second ak. the mak was my first, tried to get someone local to help me build but no luck, and everyone said to build a decent ak was gonna cost a little over 200, so i got the mak. i would like to put black furniture on these is it possible?

the lower handguard has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. Also check the vertical thickness of the handguard. The buttstock has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. The bottom has to have some material removed that goes in the rear of the receiver. The Chinese tang is about a 1/4 inch longer. You can leave the top alone if you use only one screw and the buttstock a 1/4 inch farther out of the receivr. You can cut the buttstock for the longer tang and cut it to go under the rear trunnion block at the top edge. Then two screws can be used. I think the Chinese pistol grip screw is too short for a standard AKM pistol grip so a long screw will be required.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
lsmurphy
Banned

Yep, not really interchangeable.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat
the lower handguard has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. Also check the vertical thickness of the handguard. The buttstock has to be narrowed where it goes in to the receiver. The bottom has to have some material removed that goes in the rear of the receiver. The Chinese tang is about a 1/4 inch longer. You can leave the top alone if you use only one screw and the buttstock a 1/4 inch farther out of the receivr. You can cut the buttstock for the longer tang and cut it to go under the rear trunnion block at the top edge. Then two screws can be used. I think the Chinese pistol grip screw is too short for a standard AKM pistol grip so a long screw will be required.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
chromestarhustler

allesennogwat seems like some fitting i aint afraid of that. which set is gonna be the better choice to put on a plum set of russian rpk furniture hot dyed black, or kvars black set with the standard ak buttstock which i like more, will it fit will the same trimming. thanks
Old 11-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The RPK buttstock shouldn't have to be narrowed but maybe clearanced for the rear trunnion. The RPK handguards may not fit at all. Standard AK handguards fit but usually have to have material removed from the inside to clear the NHM-91'sfatter barrel.