Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
MattCFII

AKaholic #: 9036
Default Putting a muzzle brake on a MAK-90

I have my trusty stamped 7.62x39 MAK-90 that I've been updating lately with non-thumbhole furniture and want to update the business end as well, partly since I can and may not be able to down the road. I just can't decide which way I want to go.

I'm thinking of either
A. threading the barrel in traditional 14x1mm LH
B. Trying to see if I can make a more modern .573 ID FSB that is threaded in 24mm with a bayonet lug fit on a MAK-90 barrel
C. Saying screw it and trying one of those bad rep pin-on brakes

I like option A especially since it has the widest selection of brakes/hiders (and I like the look of the good old slant brake). But I don't have a die and thinking I'll probably take it to a gunsmith for the job. Also I'm not sure if putting a plunger pin in the MAK-90 FSB will be a headache or not to the point where I should get a new FSB instead. Would a crush washer work ok to keep a slant brake on?

B. sounds nice because underneath the muzzle will still be in it's original condition and I'd have one of those evil bayonet lugs If later on there are major legal issues with it, I can always remove it and have a "good" muzzle underneath (however it would seem that if it gets that bad, most likely the fact that it is still a AK variant would make more problems than just the bad muzzle items). The problems with the MAK-90's thicker barrel and less U.S. made 24mm brakes for 922 makes this seem like it would have even more issues than the 14mm thread job but the most returns as well if possible

C is definitely the easy route, it would keep the gun in closer to original condition and fast return to it. Plus it would be a good intermediate step as I decide what to do but I've only heard a couple people say that the brake stays on reliably. Is there a trick to getting the pin-on 74 style brake to stay on a MAK-90 or are they just trash and not even worth the $10 to try?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
MattCFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Snowman
Remember Remember the 5th of Nov

AKaholic #: 8786

I like option A. If your going to a gunsmith to have it threaded anyway, you should be able to buy and have a new FSB w/pin put on fairly cheap. Plus it's more original.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
lsmurphy
Banned

AKaholic #: 6789

I have several of these ban rifles I want to thread. I'll join you in this endeavor. Get them threaded.

Scott
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Etek
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 2223

Go with Option A. Crush washer or shim will work fine.
Etek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Madtechcool

AKaholic #: 1383
Wink Barrel Threading

Go with option a. 14x1 lh thread. That way you have more choices in brakes and flash hiders. Some of the Maks didn'thave the hole drilled for the detent pin so in that case you could swap to a bulgy front sight base and useing a ball point pin spring and one of the detent pins from Polytechparts.com or k-var would put ya in business. Of course ya could always make your own detent pin. Keep it lookin' "traditional" and you'll be happier with the results. If ya want to go to the trouble, swap gas blocks with a bulgy block and you'll have your cleaning rod loop too. We're doing the same thing but were useing a niw folding bayo and front sight base and have the original chi-com gas block to go with it. It's a chore but the results will be well worth it. Mad Max son of Madtechcool
Madtechcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
light load

AKaholic #: 8346

Hey, where did you get the folding bayonet base? Is it for the spike bayonet? I got one back in 91 and haven't been able to find anotherone.
Thanks, LL
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
light load

AKaholic #: 8346

BTW, I would go with threadding the bbl.also as the other guys said. Copes has a die with a centering piece for $50. I just used one last week on a MAK 90. Worked very nicely.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
Madtechcool

AKaholic #: 1383
Post Folding Bayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by light load
Hey, where did you get the folding bayonet base? Is it for the spike bayonet? I got one back in 91 and haven't been able to find anotherone.
Thanks, LL
Yes it is for the spike and the spike's on it. Dad's had it for a couple of years just stashed away till the right Mak came along. Mad Max son of Madtechcool
Madtechcool is offline   Reply With Quote