Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 07-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
bilgepump

AKaholic #: 2393
Default Russian Stock Stain

Anyone have a recipe for reproducing the red stock stain found on Russian AK's?

Any help would be most appreciated!
bilgepump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
prophet

AKaholic #: 2455

ironwooddesigns.com/1howto.html scroll down to where it says" high grade " in a yellow box
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
mbakercad

AKaholic #: 1819

The original finish is tinted shellac, not stain. A member of a few gun boards by the username of 'Z Recto' is one of the best at duplicating this finish. I had him do both an AK and RPK stockset for me.
mbakercad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
Dick S

AKaholic #: 1716

I think garnet shellac is the correct product.
Dick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #5
mbakercad

I read that Garnet shellac is close but not the end all product. One place described Garnet by being the darkest shellac offered by 'x' seller. That garnet from one guy today can look a lot different than garnet from someone else tomorrow.

I purchased some Garnet shellac flakes a while back to refinish my Mosin Nagant. As long as it is close I will be happy.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
bilgepump

Thanks for the response guys, this should keep me "busy" for awhile.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
16r40
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbakercad
The original finish is tinted shellac, not stain.

I bought a brand new soviet SVD stock set from russia.....it was stained red, sort of like a mahogony red, didn't have any shellac on it, so that theory that the color is in the shellac is wrong. when I put on BULLEYES uncut orange shellac on it, it came out close to what it should look like, I had to put a few coats on it, I think 3 to get it to where it looked "correct".......so it's a combination of the red stain and orange shellac that gives that color, it's not in the shellac alone.

I would experiment with different red stains, and orange shellac to see what combination will come close to the color.

I also have a soviet SKS and the shellac is flaking away near the buttstock, where you can see it was stained a red color.

General William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by 16r40; 07-13-2004 at 03:15 PM.
16r40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #8
WolfsburgBob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

AKaholic #: 16

Pete,

Gospel.

Bob
WolfsburgBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:04 AM   #9
alfajim

AKaholic #: 631

I used red mahogany and a small amount of cherry mixed together on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger.jpgsized.jpgevensmaller.jpg (82.0 KB, 455 views)
alfajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
mbakercad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16r40
I bought a brand new soviet SVD stock set from russia.....it was stained red, sort of like a mahogony red, didn't have any shellac on it, so that theory that the color is in the shellac is wrong. when I put on BULLEYES uncut orange shellac on it, it came out close to what it should look like, I had to put a few coats on it, I think 3 to get it to where it looked "correct".......so it's a combination of the red stain and orange shellac that gives that color, it's not in the shellac alone.

I would experiment with different red stains, and orange shellac to see what combination will come close to the color.

I also have a soviet SKS and the shellac is flaking away near the buttstock, where you can see it was stained a red color.
I'm not a finishing expert (not even close) but I still think the original finish is tinted shellac. When you stain wood, it is in there. You would have to bleach to get the wood back to a natural color. I had a Russian buttstock that was in a raw state once stripped.

The guy that did the refinishing on my stocksets is able to duplicate the finish by using tinted shellac. The soviet finish was not always the same color, I have seen the orange/brown, reddish, and all in between. He is able to do most if not all of those by changing the dye.

I'm actually working on my Mosin Nagant stock right now. Its going to be interesting how it turns out...I'll probably get agrivated and end up painting it flat black
Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #11
btrapr1

AKaholic #: 2366
Default Russian stain

I have heard that a wipe down application of Iodine>>>then the orange shellac!!!!will give you the look you want!!!! orange & red= purplish color!!!
btrapr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:54 PM   #12
johnsopi
Contributor

AKaholic #: 147

I once tried using cooked beets and rubbing the stock with the beets. I would not use this again. Very messy

johnsopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #13
bilgepump

Default May be time for an update....

I've been experimenting on some Egyptian wood with alcohol based stains using clothing dyes, oil based stuff was most frustrating. After stripping and staining this stock set the color looked way to red/purple, thought I had ruined it until I started to apply shellac. After the 3rd coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye (amber) the color was just about perfect. I added about four more coats and each produced a little more "orange". Shellac was cut by 1/3.
May have to make a few adjustments for the Russian wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00013.JPG (95.4 KB, 518 views)

Last edited by bilgepump; 08-10-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #14
akxtc

AKaholic #: 3523

That Russian stuff sure is pretty. Anyone else had success in replicating it that wants to share their formula?
akxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #15
Branspop

AKaholic #: 4799

Check out the photos of the "Commie Red" by SalBo here:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthre...t=17750&page=3

The instructions are on the next page.
Branspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #16
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5400

When you say Shellac cut by 1/3, do you mean mixed with denatured alcohol as the cut? I'm working on a stock right now using red mahogany stain and zinzers amber shellac and when I used the shellac straight out of the can it was a nightmare as far as uniform consistency in brushing it on. It seemed any more than two strokes over the same spot and it looked terrible. You know the look; stroke mark buildup, real thick in some spots. Any input would be appreciated. Ken from Pa.
AKBuilder7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #17
glen avon

AKaholic #: 5328

I'm kinda happy with the results posted in this reply:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=13
glen avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:09 AM   #18
AKBuilder7255
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 5400

Well, since nobody was interested enough to post a simple yes or no according to the question I asked: what do you mean 1/3 cut ? on the shellac, I deceided that the question was probably too simple,and that I should have figured it out on my own. Well, I did and it turned out sweeet. I have a pretty good knowledge now of how to work with shellac, preferrably (Zinssers' amber). The trick is building up in three or four coats using the denatured alcohol to thin it (very little) and improve working time and consistency. Between coats take down with 000 steelwool not 220 sandpaper. Sandpaper tends to take too much off even sanding lightly. Anyway, thanks for not getting back with me on a simple yes or no answer to the question cause I dont think I would have researched and got this much in depth with working with wood, and stain and shellac,and...... well, it just made a woodworker out of me.. and that is part of being an AK Builder. If and when I get my camera up on line I'll show you what I mean, that is everyone thats interested. I did use the red mahoghany stain too. Laaater Ken from Pa.
AKBuilder7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
H1S1K

AKaholic #: 4945

Here is my russian red stain rescipe for dummys. goto the grocry store and pick up a box of crimson red clothing dye (powders and in a box) should be in next to the detergent and pick up a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Empty out half the bottle of alcohol and pure in the entire package of powder. shake the shit out of it for at least 20-30 min. apply stain with papertowel to your wood. follow up with 4-5 coates or until you are sadisfied with the tint then let it sit for about a week so it drys out. After it is dry put a light coat of linseed oil (hand rubbed) on it every day for a week then once a week for a month , once a month for a year then once a year for the rest of your life. Makes for some red stained hands with the first week of coats but it makes pritty commie red wood.

Can't see it all to well but the AKM on the far right is stained in the maner. oil coates since christmas so the grain is not showing up as it will with a few more coates of hand rubed oil

H1S1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #20
Master Blaster

AKaholic #: 6286

Your method seems like to much work for me lol. about 1/3 of brown leather dye mixed into red mahogany makes for a good looking finnish. I would never spend months finnishing wood. I put 2 coats of tru-oil on mine let it dry and than hit it with 3 more coats of spray can clear coat.
Master Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 AM   #21
Tapeo1

AKaholic #: 4860

mbakercad is correct. The Russians did not use a stain on the wood. The coloring is in the shellac. Also as mentioned, Z_Recto is the master of recreating the orginial Russian finish.

I can't seem to find the link but there was a write up on using Chestnut Ridge stain (alcohol based) to color the Zinsser Shellac. I saved it as a Word document so if you'd like it, send me your email address. The results this guy got were amazing.

AKBuilder7255, when he said cut the shellac, I'm assuming he meant diluting it. You dilute shellac with DNA (denatured alcohol).

Last edited by Tapeo1; 10-13-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Tapeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #22
Fido Dog

AKaholic #: 6008
Default Chestnut Ridge

Here is mine with Chestnut Ridge and Minwax Poly Semi Gloss. I didn't want it shiny, but more matte as I have never rubbed with steel wool.

This is 2 coats of stain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg completeak copy.jpg (84.8 KB, 170 views)
Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #23
glen avon

AKaholic #: 5328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeo1
Chestnut Ridge stain (alcohol based) to color the Zinsser Shellac....
glen avon is offline   Reply With Quote