Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 06-19-2016, 02:02 AM   #1
GoMopar440

AKaholic #: 70252
Default Yugo Milled M72 RPK build w/Tortort unfinished rcvr

For this build I'm going to be putting the cart ahead of the horse by starting with the unfinished receiver first. At the rate the Tortort unfinished receivers have been selling out, I figured I had better better grab one while they were available. The M72 parts kit will come next, followed by the barrel. I want to use a new chrome lined barrel if possible, but I'll use a used barrel if I absolutely have to. The plan is to Cerakote it when it's done, but I'm going to keep the details of that part of the project under wraps until it's finished.

And since I know everyone expects pics, here's some of the Tortort unfinished receiver. The parts shown with it are from my Yugo M70 UF. So far everything fits very well. Or at least as well as it possibly can with some metal still in the way.

Front end view:

Right front corner view:

Full right side view:

Close up of the lightening cut:

Standard surplus steel mag fits good:

FCG area. Most of the required machining will be done in this area:

Back end view:

Left side view:

Recoil spring pocket area:

Ejector area. Most of the rest of the machining will take place here:

Needs a bullet guide installed:

Front trunnion area:

And finally, the gratuitous mock up pic:

It's currently still in the "as received" condition, but tomorrow I'm going to be clamping it into the mill vise on my Bridgeport and turning it into a firearm. At least in the eyes of the alphabet boys that is.

It will require 5mm, 7mm and 10mm drill bits according to the prints available on Tortort.com. I have a full master set of american sized drill bits with standard fractional, numbered and lettered bits, but no metric bits. After getting nowhere looking for metric bits locally, I went ahead and ordered an 18 piece set of metric drill bits off Ebay not too long ago. They just came in the mail today so I can finally get started making some chips.

More to come.

Last edited by GoMopar440; 06-19-2016 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
GoMopar440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #2
GoMopar440

Today I got the trigger, hammer and safety lever holes finished.

The only minor hiccup was the cheap chinese metric drill bit set was just that, cheap. I wasn't too surprised by that as I've had the same issues with the HF drill bit sets I've used before. They don't always bother to get the cutting angles correct and the bit just tries to burn it's was through the metal. I've had pretty good luck resharpening them by hand. That was one of the first projects we all had to do in the Navy machining (MR) "A" school I went to a long time ago. If you don't know how to resharpen a drill bit properly I'd suggest investing in a bench top drill bit sharpening machine. With a little practice they can usually get the bits back into working condition pretty quickly.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
timhogan427
I eat ar15's and shit out ak's

AKaholic #: 178465

a drill doctor is all you need. a few turns makes a quick 30 second sharpen, and back to the "good" cutting angle. i have h/f bits and have had them for 4 years of continuous use. obviously i use the reamers for the last little bit.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
flyguyeddy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171611

I must not be a good machinist, because i could NEVER get our drill dr to work properly.
flyguyeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

AKaholic #: 179450

Why in dog's name would anyone buy drill bits at HF?
Cool project though.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
GoMopar440

Why? Because that's what I can afford. I know the difference good quality drill bits can make as I've used the best available tools and tooling when I was a machinist in the Navy. However, right now I can't afford to spend $10/each or more for just one name brand drill bit VS $10 for a whole set of drill bits that has all the sizes I need. I've bought enough HF and Ebay junk to know it all needs some work to make them work properly. That's the trade off for the lower cost. I have no problem sharpening drill bits, I've been redoing them by hand for many years without any problems. So, it works for me. You're welcome to buy whatever tools you like and can afford. I just happen to be on a very tight budget and this is one place I can spend less and still get the same results as I would with more expensive tools. When the quality of the build is jeopardized, that's when I put my foot down and insist on the better tools/tooling. Being retired and disabled with a fixed income puts a sever damper on the budget for projects like this.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post
Today I got the trigger, hammer and safety lever holes finished.

The only minor hiccup was the cheap chinese metric drill bit set was just that, cheap. I wasn't too surprised by that as I've had the same issues with the HF drill bit sets I've used before. They don't always bother to get the cutting angles correct and the bit just tries to burn it's was through the metal. I've had pretty good luck resharpening them by hand. That was one of the first projects we all had to do in the Navy machining (MR) "A" school I went to a long time ago. If you don't know how to resharpen a drill bit properly I'd suggest investing in a bench top drill bit sharpening machine. With a little practice they can usually get the bits back into working condition pretty quickly.
Maybe it is my eyes, and I really dislike what I am about to say.

The fire control group holes on the right-hand side appear to be the larger diameter 7,0mm that is normally on the left-hand side.

If that is the case, it will of course work but you will have to be creative with the retention method of the pins.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America member
N̶R̶A̶ ̶M̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ (that's right - those mofos sold us out)
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
es
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rforbus View Post
Maybe it is my eyes, and I really dislike what I am about to say.

The fire control group holes on the right-hand side appear to be the larger diameter 7,0mm that is normally on the left-hand side.

If that is the case, it will of course work but you will have to be creative with the retention method of the pins.

I was just thinking that; sorry, that sucks royally if that is the case.

ETA: Curious, it appears that the instructions (visible underneath the receiver) call for 7mm on that side with 5mm through...hmm...
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
GoMopar440

It's not your eyes, the two 7mm holes ARE on the right side and the 5mm holes are on the left.

I was second guessing myself late last night about the holes while I was out in the shop, so I followed the print to the letter just to be safe. The print text, which is mostly visible in that pic reads "7mm this side, 5mm through 2 places". The print is drawn up showing the right side so the print told me to put the 7mm holes on the right according to the note on the print. I pulled my other AK's from the safe today and compared them to this receiver and saw that the holes were opposite of what the print called for. If I had just double checked my other AK's against the print first to verify which way was correct before drilling the holes I would have avoided this mistake.

Putting all that behind me and fixing it before moving forward is my current plan. I'm going to turn a couple steel plugs on my lathe with a 7mm OD to fill the two oversized holes. Then I'll silver solder them into those 7mm holes to lock them in place permently. After that's done I'll flip the receiver so the left side is up in the mill vise and redrill the two 5mm holes. Since I plan on using Cerakote, the silver solder won't be visible when finished. I'll make the inside edges of the plugs flush with the receiver wall and leave the outside a little proud of the surface. That way I can blend them in when I clean up the fly cutting marks on the sides. Yea, it's a little extra work due to the error on the print, but nothing that can't be fixed and still look and work like it's supposed to.

EDIT: I just sent Tortort a PM about the error on the print. I hope it gets corrected before anyone else makes the same mistake I did by following the printed instructions.

Last edited by GoMopar440; 06-20-2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: note about PM
Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
tortort
Vendor

AKaholic #: 165614

Quote:
It's not your eyes, the two 7mm holes ARE on the right side and the 5mm holes are on the left.

I was second guessing myself late last night about the holes while I was out in the shop, so I followed the print to the letter just to be safe. The print text, which is mostly visible in that pic reads "7mm this side, 5mm through 2 places". The print is drawn up showing the right side so the print told me to put the 7mm holes on the right according to the note on the print. I pulled my other AK's from the safe today and compared them to this receiver and saw that the holes were opposite of what the print called for. If I had just double checked my other AK's against the print first to verify which way was correct before drilling the holes I would have avoided this mistake. I'm going to let Tortort know to correct his print so other people don't make the same mistake by following the directions as they are currently written.

Putting all that behind me and fixing it before moving forward is my current plan. I'm going to turn up a couple steel plugs on my lathe with a 7mm OD to fix the holes. Then I'll silver solder them into the 7mm holes on the right side. After that's done I'll flip the receiver so the left side is up in the mill vise and redrill the two 5mm holes. Since I plan on using Cerakote, the silver solder won't be visible when finished. Yea, it's a little extra work due to the error on the print, but nothing that can't be fixed.
Noooiooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
That note is crewed up!!!!!!!!
Im so sorry!!!
tortort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
tortort
Vendor

That note on the print is incorrect.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
Oak47
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 158242

It will still work with backwards pins, just look weird.
e-clips or the smaller hook for retaining them.
Or weld and re-drill?
Oak47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
GoMopar440

It's no biggie guys. I can fix it as good as new. "We have the technology. We can build him better, faster, stronger...". If you were around in the 70's you'll get that quote.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #14
tortort
Vendor

PMd ya Mopar.
Anyone thats cut axis pins on wrong side please email me at info@tortort.com

Last edited by tortort; 06-20-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

Quote:
Why? Because that's what I can afford. I know the difference good quality drill bits can make as I've used the best available tools and tooling when I was a machinist in the Navy. However, right now I can't afford to spend $10/each or more for just one name brand drill bit VS $10 for a whole set of drill bits that has all the sizes I need. I've bought enough HF and Ebay junk to know it all needs some work to make them work properly. That's the trade off for the lower cost. I have no problem sharpening drill bits, I've been redoing them by hand for many years without any problems. So, it works for me. You're welcome to buy whatever tools you like and can afford. I just happen to be on a very tight budget and this is one place I can spend less and still get the same results as I would with more expensive tools. When the quality of the build is jeopardized, that's when I put my foot down and insist on the better tools/tooling. Being retired and disabled with a fixed income puts a sever damper on the budget for projects like this.
Any town big enough to have a HF should also have a proper industrial supply house where one can buy quality US-made bits for a couple of bucks each. Home Depot/Lowes/Menard's sell overpriced junk.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
GoMopar440

69Rebel,
You are correct, however I don't live anywhere near a HF store, or any other big box store of any kind for that matter. I have to drive over an hour at a minimum to get to the nearest HF, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... Living in the boonies has it's advantages, but finding stuff nearby that is readily available in more densely populated areas isn't one of them. What I can find locally usually costs about twice as much (and sometimes more) than the big box stores. As a result I usually shop over the internet for the stuff I can't find here. Not living in those bigger towns makes it harder to find stuff whenever I do get to drive out there, which isn't very often. The location in my profile isn't my home, just the closest somewhat big town, and that's still a half hour away from me.

It's no big deal either way. I made the choice to buy the bits I found on Ebay knowing they might need attention to work properly. I put the note in my post above about the bits since I had given the Ebay link out to some people via PM and wanted them to know what I had found with the bits I received. I wasn't trying to bitch about them and say "I got screwed". That would just make me a sucker who got ripped off. I'd like to think I'm a little smarter than that.
*looks at my above post about screwing up the hole placement and rolls eyes*

Putting the info about the bits out there for the people that haven't run into those type of problems, AND putting a solution to go with it, is something that IMHO is good for most people to get to see and know/learn about. We don't HAVE to succumb to the typical consumer mentality and treat everything we buy as if it's disposable. I choose to fix what I can and use it till it's unfixable. Then I try to find a use for the parts and pieces of those leftovers to make/keep something else work(ing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortort View Post
PMd ya Mopar.
Anyone thats cut axis pins on wrong side please email me at info@tortort.com
Got it and THANK YOU!

I left my mistake up there for everyone to see. Hopefully anyone looking for info before machining one of these (or any other unfinished receiver really) might see my mistake and not repeat it. It's a bit of egg on my face, but oh well, I'll just deal with it and continue on with the project. I'll still go ahead and do the fix I proposed, and document the process as well, for anyone that might not figure it out before firing up the drill or mill.

Last edited by GoMopar440; 06-20-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: note to Tortort
Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #17
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

I'm a little ways out myself, but I don't quite have it as bad as you do. Takes me about 15-20 min to get to the industrial supply, or only 7-10 to HF.
My apologies if you felt like I was bustin' yer balls.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #18
gotmine
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 2055

When mistakes aren't made occasionally there's no work being done.
gotmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
GoMopar440

69Rebel,
No worries, it's only a hobby anyway. Nothing to loose sleep over.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #20
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

If you can afford the receiver,you can afford better quality drill bits. Don't screw up your project for what? A couple bucks difference?
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #21
GoMopar440

Do we have to go through this again? Once the hole is drilled... you know what, never mind.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #22
DanM08

AKaholic #: 182041

Are there any correct layout prints for a milled tortort receiver? Or a revised version of the above posted prints?
DanM08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #23
tortort
Vendor

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236194
Old 06-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #24
tortort
Vendor

http://www.tortort.com/what-s-new/
Axis pin hole locations are same for milled and stamped.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #25
tortort
Vendor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #26
71montess

AKaholic #: 178564

We are WECSOG ! Making it work, with what we've got.
71montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #27
GoMopar440

I figured I'd also post the pics of the new (latest batch) fixed Yugo receiver I just got. I gave a detailed description in the Unfinished Milled Receiver thread (link -> http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...61#post3527061 ), so I'll just put the comparison pics up and let you guys ask if you need any questions answered. I probably already covered most questions in the other thread though so I'd suggest taking a look there first.

The new part is the darker one that hasn't been milled or drilled yet.

BTW, I'm still going to fix the holes in the first part and document the fix here in this thread. This project just got pushed to the back burner for a while due to a backlog of "Honey-Do" summertime chores. I'm planning on picking up a M72 parts kit next payday. Maybe a used barrel as well since I want to have all the parts for this build in hand before the election panic buying season starts. If I can swing the budget for it, a new barrel would be preferred.That said, I'd rather have a working gun with an old barrel than a partially complete gun that's missing a new barrel.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #28
GoMopar440

Fawk! The wife's jeep trans is not shifting properly now, so that just bumped the M72 build down a notch on the priority list. Hopefully I can still afford to get a M72 kit and barrel before the panic buying season starts. It just won't be this payday unless I hawk some stuff at the pawn shop. I hate those places, but it might be worth it in this case. Either way, I'll have to get the Jeep fixed first before I can buy anything else for this build. I can still go ahead and do the axis pin hole repairs on the first receiver while I'm waiting on the parts kit, so I'll probably be starting on that soon.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #29
Lingwendil
The man that sold The World

AKaholic #: 177079

I had a carb fire on my beetle that has kept me from buying one of these, I know your pain.

My only concern with going with one of these is that I don't have a mill, so cutting the trigger opening is a bit intimidating for just a drill press, dremel, and files....

Women are like parking spaces. All the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped.
Lingwendil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #30
GoMopar440

Ouch! How bad did the fire get? Did the brass hose fitting pull out of the carb or the fuel pump? I have a short "how-to" in my rail build threads over on the Samba and STF on replacing those loose factory fittings with 1/16" NPT hose fittings. Those things will never pull out once installed. Shoot me a PM if you need the details on where to get the stuff for that mod.

BTW,you forgot to put "skill" on that list. Most of the time with it you can make up for the lack of the bigger better equipment. If you don't feel you have the skill needed yet, just ask around and I'm sure a lot of people here (me included) would be willing and able to talk you through any of the tough parts. My first ever AK build (stamped M72 on a NDS rcvr) was done with one of those dinky mini mills. Right out of the box they're not much better than a drill press and a cheap X-Y table.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #31
Lingwendil

My right hand carb was spraying gas up into the aircleaner on acceleration (dual carb, kadrons) and it ignited somehow and burned up the wiring harness on the passenger side of the engine bay, and the air filter element. I got it cleaned up and back together but now the car will not run right, so I think that carb diet a damaged. I'm sending them off to buddies fathers shop in Arizona for him to see what's up. I think I may need to replace that carb, as it got pretty toasty. I managed to get it cleaned up and clear, but it's not acting right at all. Worse case I end up replacing that carb, or upgrading to IDF's, since it is a 1776 anyway.

Skills I know I have, I Just don't think I can get by with the tooling that I have on hardened steel. I still might bite it and order one, I've been thinking of doing a milled without lightening cuts, and engraving it old school style like a fancy sporter rifle...

Women are like parking spaces. All the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #32
destrux
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177278

Doing the trigger opening by hand is really not bad. It just takes longer. I have done them on hardened blanks with just a carbide rasp in a rotary tool to rough it out, and a good set of small files to take it to final size. It came out perfectly. The trick is to color the area with a marker or layout fluid and scribe the outline so you know exactly where to stop.
destrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #33
Lingwendil

That's how I did it on my coldsteel blank for the m76, and on another that I've done, but I haven't done hardened steel yet...

I think it's time to step up lol

Old 12-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #34
GoMopar440

Merry Christmas everyone!

I took a little detour from the build for a while (also building a boat) so this project just sort of stalled out. I'm working on rounding up all the parts and pieces for this build and hope to have everything together soon. Once I have that stuff in hand, I'll start up on this project again.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #35
GoMopar440

I just ordered a matching number M72B kit from Numrich today. Next big item to get will be the barrel. I also picked up a couple stainless axis pin retainer plates from the AKFiles Marketplace.

For 922r compliance I'll have the receiver, barrel, a muzzle device and 3 piece FCG. That way I won't have to mess with having any special or modified AK mags around to keep track of.