Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
digitalebola

AKaholic #: 8610
Default Tell me about my MAK-90 Sporter

Greetings all. I was hoping for some info on my MAK-90. I bought it in the early 90's??? (I cant remember) It was just after one of the bans. It has the thumbhole stock. The MAK-90 and CAL 7.62x39 is stamped in the reciever but the word "SPORTER" was engraved after the finishing. The first part of the serial # is 931-XXXX. Also hand engraved on the side is KSI Pomona, CA. MADE IN CHINA

Was this guy the first wave of the authorized imports? If I finally wanted to put it into a more tradition dress I would need to have 6 US made parts correct?? HTS and furnature maybe??

Thanks!!

J

Last edited by digitalebola; 07-08-2007 at 08:23 AM.
digitalebola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
VALMET_M76
Temp ban-Multiple indiscretions.

AKaholic #: 90

There were several different importers of Chicom rifles and lots of them came in. From the AW ban to the ban on Chicoms wasn't all that long.

You can retrofit the thing back to a more original look with a USA fire control group and a USA made stock set. Other variations on the parts changed are possible. You only need 5 USA parts as there is no muzzle attachment. If your MAK is a milled receiver you only need 4 USA parts.

You have one of the better made AKs as the thing is heavy duty and all new factory made and assembled.

This is a MAK90 I once had. Romanian stocks, USA FCG, PG, GP.

VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
DeanD
Contributor

AKaholic #: 556

The picture above is what it is supposed to look like. No self-respecting AK owner would have a thumbhole stock. Getting rid of it is an act of rebellion.

There are only about a million of them floating around with the traditional stocks and nobody worried about U.S. parts. That is an individual call. There are a lot of debatable issues with 922r and I won't argue them here. Do your own reading and thinking. The word "possess" isn't in the law so that might pique your curosity. There are arguments that it only applies to commercial manufacturers. Other people think if they don't have parts stamped U.S. made that the boys in black suits and face masks will ram their door in around 3oam looking to see if that piece of wood came from Oregon or Nanchung.
DeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
VALMET_M76
Temp ban-Multiple indiscretions.

AKaholic #: 90

That's about the truth. I have yet to run into the 922r police.

Except for the self-appointed versions at gunshows.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
sasm7

AKaholic #: 4262

That's the beauty of the Mak90's you can do alot of different things to them. They are what I learned most about ak's is from them. They are well built. Here's what I did to a few of mine, one has a slant cut receiver with US wood, the other has a US made skeleton buttstock & wood & one is bring back to glory.

sasm7 is offline   Reply With Quote