Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 05-15-2015, 03:28 AM   #1
RadScorpius
Twinkie

AKaholic #: 164660
Default Looks like all AKs bolt carrier will mushroom

I just went shooting with two friends today. One just got a WASR, one just got a NPAP, 300 rounds tho the WASR, 500 rounds for the NPAP.

WASR:

NPAP:

AK barrels hardness testing results.
RadScorpius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
kalieracer
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 6495

Right and they both had tapcos right?
kalieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:10 AM   #3
RadScorpius
Twinkie

AKaholic #: 164660

Yep. Me and my friends think that the corner on the Tapco puts pressure at the tip of the tang of the bolt carrier, if it is filed or rounded off it may solve the problem.

AK barrels hardness testing results.
RadScorpius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
Trou53r5nak3
Banned

AKaholic #: 179899

I thought this was just normal wear ?
Trou53r5nak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #5
nuckldust
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 9533

Well they are "were" ugly and had all kind of Internet fudge created about it. Run, run from a WASR. That was 2005 I think for me. That WASR ran fine and the next three ran great all NIB.

The TAPCO hammer had never taken any heat I knew of over mushrooming anything. Only one rifle I used original hammer in. The SAIGA .223, and that was only after conclusive evidence of the rear of the bolt stem preening pretty bad from non contoured or non original hammer. The YUGOs of late very well may suffer from improper heat treating. They do suffer from holes being spaced incorrectly or not in prime position.

My 92 carrier tail has been absolutely form fitted and mushroomed noticeably. Otoh I have a M77 PN that has zero peening after running 300 rounds of the regular mil surp 7.62 NATO.
nuckldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
Asmodeus
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 60954

Asmodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 AM   #7
Sure Shot

AKaholic #: 179323

I had a typical sub $500 cheapo PAP pistol (which was my first AK pattern, ignorantly) that did that after sending around 400 downrange in a 'day'. I would love nothing more than to dispel the myth, but it can be very dangerous, so please be cautious. I was using the run of the mill Wolf outdoors, and I was hoping to hear that perhaps a better, more up to par cartridge may have optimized the cycling, but it seems to be a universally common occurrence.
Sure Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
Sure Shot

AKaholic #: 179323

Oh, if you are new to the forums and the AK format, OP's title is very incorrect, because this will not happen to all AKs. In any case, you should learn your rifle inside and out and be weary of which parts wear on each other and how they interact. Be Safe, be smart and ultimately, have fun with the various bastard sons of Papa Kalashnikov!
Sure Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
The Man
Banned

AKaholic #: 180426

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadScorpius View Post
I just went shooting with two friends today. One just got a WASR, one just got a NPAP, 300 rounds tho the WASR, 500 rounds for the NPAP.

WASR:

NPAP:
I apologize to ask and I don't mean any disrespect at all but why is everyone so worried about this? All of my ak's do this, all my Saiga's anyway. Now, I know if it does it too bad and I mean really bad, It COULD allow the rifle to detonate out of battery if the hammer follows home while shooting really really fast or bump firing and the firing pin hits the primer before the bolt locks completely into battery. One of my Saigas in 7.62x39 has been used by many people and has A LOT of rounds through it and that little nub has peened down quite a bit, enough to the point where you can tell if you ride the hammer home by hand, by the time it touchs the bolt, the bolt still is locking into battery a bit, I can still slide fire the fucker and it has not blowin' out a case yet. This is not the rifle that was splitting case necks either. Everyone that is curious about the mushrooming should sleep well knowing that its gonna take like a quarter inch of mushrooming to be of any worry.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I apologize to ask and I don't mean any disrespect at all but why is everyone so worried about this? All of my ak's do this, all my Saiga's anyway. Now, I know if it does it too bad and I mean really bad, It COULD allow the rifle to detonate out of battery if the hammer follows home while shooting really really fast or bump firing and the firing pin hits the primer before the bolt locks completely into battery. One of my Saigas in 7.62x39 has been used by many people and has A LOT of rounds through it and that little nub has peened down quite a bit, enough to the point where you can tell if you ride the hammer home by hand, by the time it touchs the bolt, the bolt still is locking into battery a bit, I can still slide fire the fucker and it has not blowin' out a case yet. This is not the rifle that was splitting case necks either. Everyone that is curious about the mushrooming should sleep well knowing that its gonna take like a quarter inch of mushrooming to be of any worry.
But not all AK's do this and if there's a prevention it needs to be known. One guy on here showed me a picture of his with 13,000 rnds and it ain't mushroomed.

Someone above asked about the Tapco hammer. I 2nd that. The G2 hammer facing seems to be the common factor in most all carrier mushrooming incidents I've seen. Most of the G2's I've seen look like they have a camel hump where other hammers are smooth.
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

Polished / lightly sanded hammer on my G2, about 5,000 rounds on it, no mushrooming on my bolt carrier........winninggggggggggggg
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

All my guns have TAPCO hammers. Not one carrier has ever "mushroomed" on me....but I do the file and sanding of the hammer before they are ever shot.

The original hammer is more flat and the TAPCO has a hump. The TAPCO hump on the hammer always keeps the hammer in contact with the carrier. This is why you do not get "trigger slap" with the TAPCO. The TAPCO has 3 angles on the hammer profile. The back angle nearest the rear trunnion leaves a sharp edge if you will, and the carrier nub makes contact with this edge when it pushes back on the hammer. This is IMO what causes the "mushroom" effect on the carrier.

The angle on the un modified TAPCO hammer and the angle on the carrier nub are different. But after enough rounds are shot the two angles will self correct over time/rounds fired.

Re-profiling the TAPCO hammer will cause this to not happen, and if it does, it will not be much. Re-profiling the hammer will also keep the carrier from "sticking" in the back position when charging it like a little girly man.

But I do think the Yugo's suffer from soft steel parts, and or not heat treated properly.
Mel64D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
tweek
MAK daddy

AKaholic #: 169067

Problem is caused by the g2 hammer. It's not just the sharp ridge that pushes up on the bolt carrier, it is profiled wrong. Can be unsafe. The tail is only remaining safety to prevent a out of battery detonation, and the wrong profile of the g2 gives a much higher potential for disaster. Compare the profile of a factory full auto hammer for the way the parts are supposed to work with each other.
tweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

Hopefully the AKG triggers are profiled correctly.........I cant wait to get that lil lightning bow mofo in mine.....when the hell are they going to start shipping!!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
tweek
MAK daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel64D View Post
The original hammer is more flat and the TAPCO has a hump. The TAPCO hump on the hammer always keeps the hammer in contact with the carrier. This is why you do not get "trigger slap" with the TAPCO..
Trigger slap is caused by the disconnector.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweek View Post
Trigger slap is caused by the disconnector.
Yes you are correct. The TAPCO hump stays in contact with the carrier and it rides all the way back and forward causing the hammer to more softly/slower make contact with the disconnector. With the original hammer being straight/flat, the carrier will slap the hammer down and then it will fling back up into the disconnector, because the hammer is flat and will not keep contact while the carrier moves forward.

Lets see if I can make this easier to understand.

The carrier moves back and forward really fast. With the TAPCO hammer, the hump is just enough so that it keeps contact with the carrier as it moves back and forward again. Allowing it to stop on the disconnector more softly.

The original hammer being flat, The carrier will be moving forward and out of the way as the hammer moves back up. It will stop when it hits the disconnector...trigger slap.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #17
Slingn

AKaholic #: 172683

i don't see any of that on my MAK. It was used when i got it and i've put several k rounds through it. You'd figure with that inferior steel they use, it would be a big problem.
Slingn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #18
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

The TAPCO hammer actually does slap up, but the hump hits the carrier and slows it down before it makes contact with the disconnector. The original has a void basically where the flat is and the carrier has moved out of range and will not slow the hammer down before the disconnector stops it.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
tweek
MAK daddy

No. Slap is from the tail on the disconnector. Will happen with any hammer. G2 hammer fouls the bolt carrier because of its improper shape. Two different issues.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #20
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

The only "tail" on a disconnector are on full auto seers. The G2 does not have a "tail" and if it did, the tail does not come into contact with any thing other than the selector if and when the full auto mode is engaged.

I don't know, I could be wrong. But it seems weird for the hammer that never comes into contact with the "tail" on the full auto seer to cause trigger slap.

Okay, just went out and looked at some of my original triggers......and they do show signs of being hit by the underside of the disconnector.... I have seen videos of the AK being fired in slo mo and could see some bouncing around and thought to myself that this was what caused the trigger slap. I was wrong and tweek is right.

I learned something today, thank you tweek.

Last edited by Mel64D; 05-15-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I was wrong.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Polished / lightly sanded hammer on my G2, about 5,000 rounds on it, no mushrooming on my bolt carrier........winninggggggggggggg
not winninggggggg.....I lied.......just checked and my shit is "mushroomed".....oh well, i wont lose any sleep over it, it works just fine

what can you say about?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #22
ssiptang

AKaholic #: 176571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingn View Post
i don't see any of that on my MAK. It was used when i got it and i've put several k rounds through it. You'd figure with that inferior steel they use, it would be a big problem.
Thats because MAK does not have Tapco trigger.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #23
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

AKaholic #: 170325

That's it!

I'm selling all my AK variants!

Slingshots anyone?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #24
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezfan View Post
That's it!

I'm selling all my AK variants!

Slingshots anyone?
Im thinking blow dart gun
Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #25
dangerdawg
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173810

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadScorpius View Post
Yep. Me and my friends think that the corner on the Tapco puts pressure at the tip of the tang of the bolt carrier, if it is filed or rounded off it may solve the problem.
This ^

Before & After smoothing G2 Hammer Hump -

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...97&postcount=5

photo IMAG0480_zpsqdoxtwhg.jpg

http://chrisaukamp.com/
dangerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #26
90lxtc
Si vis pacem, para bellum

AKaholic #: 155862

Run it... it will work harden. I dont worry about those things..
Old 05-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #27
barnbred
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164399

So tapco triggers mushroom AK Bolt carriers and ignoring this will cause an out of battery?
barnbred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #28
blhenderson1

AKaholic #: 170872

If the tapco g2 is the problem then what would be a good alternative?

If any one has any well used parts kits can you look at the bolt carriers to see if the original hammers did this also? Just curious.
blhenderson1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #29
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbred View Post
So tapco triggers mushroom AK Bolt carriers and ignoring this will cause an out of battery?
No, I mean that if you notice the tail of the carrier being smashed to shit then you could have an out of battery. Just a small bur will not hurt it.

The pic above with the tail of the carrier resting against the stock G2 hammer is a good example of one that should be fine.

Notice how close the hammer is with the tail of the carrier and the back of the bolt. If for some reason the hammer is released early, the tail keeps the hammer from striking the firing pin sticking out of the bolt. The carrier will still move forward after the bolt has locked into battery, moving the tail out of the way for the hammer to strike the firing pin. All of this happens in a fraction of a second. So to much material removed from the hammer, or carrier tail smashed in to much could possibly cause an out of battery detonation.

I don't know...ask tweek...I was wrong before.

Last edited by Mel64D; 05-15-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #30
c0dy33
Odin Akbar

AKaholic #: 158752

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdawg View Post
Yeah, my trigger is like 2 lbs now... no lie.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #31
JerrySexton
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162417

What a bummer. After seeing this thread I just went and checked all my rifles. Those with G2's had the mushrooming whereas those with original equipment had none. Guess I'll need to do some re-profiling. And no more G2's.
JerrySexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:54 AM   #32
Tx
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 165414

Can we do this? Can those of you that have mushrooming on the carrier tails post your AK model?
Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:21 AM   #33
bubbazan68
black honda

AKaholic #: 3654

ummmmm it has been known for some time the tapco G2 is a harder steal then regular FCG just saying,,,,

You can lead a Human to knowledge. but you canít make him think.
bubbazan68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:35 AM   #34
AK_Guru

AKaholic #: 180356

I wonder if they had been bump fired at all. I've got AK's from new to over 25 years old and have never seen this on any. It would be good to get some specific details to understand better though...
AK_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #35
destrux
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177278

I noticed that the tapco hammer bounces off the bolt when you pull the trigger and the original hammer doesn't do that (at least not enough to see it happen). The impact mark on my carrier tail lines up with the hammer when the hammer is about 1/4" away from the bolt tail so I think the carrier is getting an extra 1/4" running start when it hits the hammer face... which isn't helping prevent this.
destrux is offline   Reply With Quote