Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 04-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
skser45
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171379
Default Hmm... $500 AK 74

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74...arian-us-parts

I'd almost be interested in pulling the trigger on this. I know DDI has excellent customer service so if I did get a lemon they would take care of it most ricky tick. Having dealt with Classic Firearms in the past, they are good to go. Excellent customer service and even though their product descriptions can be a bit extreme ei: AES10b is a "Sniper Rifle" they still have good stuff.

What do you guys think? Might be a good gun to shoot the piss out of it and beat it to hell.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
gvguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164344

Quote:
Originally Posted by skser45 View Post

I'd almost be interested in pulling the trigger on this. I know DDI has excellent customer service so if I did get a lemon they would take care of it most ricky tick. Having dealt with Classic Firearms in the past, they are good to go. Excellent customer service and even though their product descriptions can be a bit extreme ei: AES10b is a "Sniper Rifle" they still have good stuff.

What do you guys think? Might be a good gun to shoot the piss out of it and beat it to hell.
I took the bait. We'll see next week when they arrive
gvguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Mr. Kalash
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174461

That looks like a steal.. What's the expert opinion on these?
Mr. Kalash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
branstone
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171613

I would buy one. I lucked out rolling the dice on a WW and would do the same with these knowing they might have to go back. I absolutely love my WW though.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
branstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
skser45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kalash View Post
That looks like a steal.. What's the expert opinion on these?
IIRC, WW was good to go in it's early days. They used NDS receivers, good QC, and shot great.

Shortly after the Great Gun Panic, WW started making their own in house receivers and used so so ess barrels. That's when WW went to shit and their stuff became garbage.

DDI bought them out and cleaned house. Some people were still getting some bad WW rifles, but DDI true to their word honored the warranty and fixed them. Seems they are good to go.

For $500 Bucks....I mean damn. Shoot this shit out the barrel then just press it out with a commie one. Might take the bait too.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
Mr. Kalash
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174461

Quote:
IIRC, WW was good to go in it's early days. They used NDS receivers, good QC, and shot great.

Shortly after the Great Gun Panic, WW started making their own in house receivers and used so so ess barrels. That's when WW went to shit and their stuff became garbage.

DDI bought them out and cleaned house. Some people were still getting some bad WW rifles, but DDI true to their word honored the warranty and fixed them. Seems they are good to go.

For $500 Bucks....I mean damn. Shoot this shit out the barrel then just press it out with a commie one. Might take the bait too.
So are we sure these weren't built by WW before the switch and have just sat in the back of the warehouse? I guess with the price though and DDI backing them maybe that wouldn't be an issue..
Mr. Kalash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
skser45
Veteran Member

According to CA descriptions....the new ones have the new barrel and did away with the ESS barrels. I know all WW' ones had the ESS barrels.

However, wouldn't be surprised if some of these were chilling in the back collecting dust. But with the warranty and stuff...not much to worry about right?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Bear94

AKaholic #: 175421

Oh man... I really want too. I almost wouldn't mind getting a WW abortion since DDI has turned lemons into great rifles. This is probably the best price for a 5.45x39 as of now. I wonder if these are the DDI made receivers or the DDI inspected receivers.
Bear94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
Nev
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173362

If I wasn't holding off saving for an Arsenal I'd grab another WW. Zero problems with mine that ended up obsessing me with 5.45 and building ammo piles.
#Atheist
You should read this.
Nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
eli2325

AKaholic #: 178014

Willing to bet that these have been sitting around the warehouse collecting dust and they just want to get rid of them. Still, very tempting.
eli2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
skser45
Veteran Member

Alright, I wrote on their FB to see if we can get some concrete answers.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166488

Funny this just came out today. I was just looking at Classic last night wondering if any were still in stock. Nope.....then I get the email and they are $499.....FRICKEN SOLD!! I was honestly contemplating selling all my 74 stuff since I sold my SLR104 a while back and bought a beauty Plum 107. Well looks like I got a very reasonable priced one here with a CLB. Makes those Century M74's look like a joke right now.....these will not last long.
Gaddywack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #13
codifier
Your Huckleberry

AKaholic #: 170379

I'm in for one. Love '74s and only have a Saiga so I need to add more to the collection. Was looking at the CAI Bulgy from Wideners but A) It was more expensive than this one and B) It's CAI. Plus I love cleaning up and re-shellacing the wood.

Quote:
All the power [the State] has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another;
there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift
or seizure, leaves society with so much less power.

― Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, the State
codifier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #14
rbgonoles
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173061

I bit too. Hard to pass up. I just got the '74 itch.
rbgonoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #15
hoevito
Superhero

AKaholic #: 163060

I've got a (pre-screw up) Waffen that I got for $649 back in 2012. For only $499 that's a GREAT deal, and before they went to shit they were well worth the $600-$700 asking price IMO...
Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #16
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by codifier View Post
I'm in for one. Love '74s and only have a Saiga so I need to add more to the collection. Was looking at the CAI Bulgy from Wideners but A) It was more expensive than this one and B) It's CAI. Plus I love cleaning up and re-shellacing the wood.
+++ I really enjoy doing some wood refurbish work myself. Having a project is half the fun. Looking forward to seeing some of the first ones get posted on here.....not that they will be any different from the ones before. But I do find it curious that Classic just had these "sitting in the warehouse". Im not a dealer so I don't know how they operate their business/inventory and why they did not just sell them out at once. But I am glad they didn't. I think these are a really decent deal at $500. I remember when WW was legit back before/during the panic they were $750-$850ish.

Interesting video just posted today by Classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvlXn0L_tk

Last edited by Gaddywack; 04-17-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 PM   #17
Kvjavs
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170418

Worth the $500. If it doesn't work as expected, DDI will fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
For a small fee I'll do anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-74hero View Post
Dave gets the last laugh as he wipes his balls on every rifle that goes out the door.
Kvjavs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 PM   #18
skser45
Veteran Member

I went ahead and snagged one up as well. $500 + 20 bucks in shipping is not a bad deal at all. If it's mucked up, I know DDI will take care of it. Win Win in my book. Also, I have my Bulgarian Plum Kit Being finished and now I have this wooden beauty to add to my collection. O weee some nice early Birthday gifts indeed.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #19
skser45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddywack View Post
+++ I really enjoy doing some wood refurbish work myself. Having a project is half the fun. Looking forward to seeing some of the first ones get posted on here.....not that they will be any different from the ones before. But I do find it curious that Classic just had these "sitting in the warehouse". Im not a dealer so I don't know how they operate their business/inventory and why they did not just sell them out at once. But I am glad they didn't. I think these are a really decent deal at $500. I remember when WW was legit back before/during the panic they were $750-$850ish.

Interesting video just posted today by Classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvlXn0L_tk
Video looks promising. 5 samples and all worked flawlessly. I knew before, WW would jam right out the box, double feed, and have FTF. Seeing both the Tapco mag and drum work is also a good indication. For the price, I think this is a good gamble and props for Classic Arms going over the past of WW and showing working products. Granted, could be some lemons in this batch but DDI warranty is good shit.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #20
DallasCJ

AKaholic #: 173532

That's my luck. I've had 2 WW rifles after everyone said they were crap and both were GTG. I just sold both my 74's when I planned to get out of 5.45. But I have 6k rounds and only got low all offers so I decided to keep it. I tried to order one of these yesterday for $619 but they showed out of stock. I emailed DDI to see if they were gonna build any and they said no. Anyway, I just ordered a Saiga and an SLR104FR from Prepper Gun Shop. Then I get this email. No matter though, I'm sure what I have coming are gonna be excellent.
DallasCJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #21
GunsAreFun

AKaholic #: 171890

I bought two.....
GunsAreFun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:34 AM   #22
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsAreFun View Post
I bought two.....
This did cross my mind. However, I will be ordering another crate of 7N6 instead.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #23
love my ak47
Wild man

AKaholic #: 162758

Quote:

I was about to buy one last week for $619.00 man I'm glad I didn't. Thanks Op for the heads up,I have a beautiful Russian plum stock set that I'm going to put on my rifle.

Last edited by love my ak47; 04-18-2015 at 06:08 AM.
love my ak47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #24
Bear94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddywack View Post

That video did answer some questions. Ok... I'm pulling the trigger.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #25
Str8liner
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear94 View Post
That video did answer some questions. Ok... I'm pulling the trigger.
Tempted but I will let some of you test drive them first.

As soon as he said they still had the WW stamped receivers I put the brakes on.
Str8liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
Bear94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
Tempted but I will let some of you test drive them first.

As soon as he said they still had the WW stamped receivers I put the brakes on.
I have a feeling they are the receivers inspected by DDI. He did say in the video that DDI built them. DDI was very active here on the forums when they inherited that clusterfuck and they really turned it around. I'm not too worried since we'll have DDI warranty.

I also picked up a can of barnaul ammo on sgammo. Anyone have experience with it?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #27
rbgonoles
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173061

I'm going to do an East German mock up on mine.
rbgonoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #28
skser45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love my ak47 View Post
I was about to buy one last week for $619.00 man I'm glad I didn't. Thanks Op for the heads up,I have a beautiful Russian plum stock set that I'm going to put on my rifle.
Hey no problem bud, just looking out for my fellow AK 74s owners. I think this is a good deal.

By the way....what you going to do with that extra stock?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #29
fly
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 157672
Default I/m sorry But

I wish you all the lucky in the world /

But US barrel ?
Tapco Mag ?

blahahah No way.!
=================================
** Sling Quite AK/AR Clip & Buckle Cover's **
www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287226
================================

((DB)) #1 SnatchWrecher /'' If it's NOT a Colt it's a Copy ''
fly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #30
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

I would save the money on two and buy a 104
Old 04-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #31
GunsAreFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Already have one of those....
Old 04-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #32
tweek
MAK daddy

AKaholic #: 169067

Dang it, I bought one. Can't hardly buy the parts much cheaper. Already have a 74 kit I'm building and just finished a tantal.
tweek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #33
tweek
MAK daddy

AKaholic #: 169067

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Why? Two is more than one....
I also have a 104ur and it's nice, but not worth the money.
tweek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #34
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
I wish you all the lucky in the world /

But US barrel ?
Tapco Mag ?

blahahah No way.!
Man you just had to reign on our parade. . Well for $600 savings I'll shoot it out and relpace it with a CHF one someday. The tapco mag is admittedly annoying but is a non issue.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #35
GunsAreFun

I'm anxious to compare side by side with my 104fr and see if I feel $500 better about the Arsenal.