Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Master Blaster

AKaholic #: 6286
Default Century Arms Cetme .308 any good?

Hello guys, Have not been on in va long time but im thinking of getting a cetme from century. Are these any good or is the fal a better choice?
Master Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
7.62Blaster

AKaholic #: 7402

I would take a fal.

BUT, if you find a GOOD CAI setme, under $600, take it.

Check the bolt face(The apes at CAI ground on some of them).

Spirit of 1775 still alive
7.62Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Demon

AKaholic #: 7052

I`ve had 2 the first one was great,sold it got another one and the 2nd one had to be send back to century to be fixed,but they did fix it.
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

Had two, one work pretty good, the other had problems and Century did fix the cracked charging handle tube, but it was very finicky about the mags it would feed from. They are accurate and have very low recoil for a .308, felt more like and AK in 7.62X39. I would not buy another one though.
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
chrry

AKaholic #: 5903

I love mine, i can nail tacks at a 100 yards with my Century made CETME. All the CETME and HK mags fit and function great. I got a good one!! Fired 200 rds. so far, with no problems.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
dono

AKaholic #: 3572

If you search the gun forums you will run across quite a few people who have had problems with them. BUT I own one and I like it a lot. It was my first "black" rifle. I got it at a gun show. I really didn't know anything about them at the time. I still wouldn't trade any of my FALs for it though. If you can swing it get a FAL and a cetme. Just go without food for a couple months.
dono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Mandaree36
2nd Class Member

AKaholic #: 4562

I have to add my name to the list of I have one and it shoots great. Had to get rid of the muzzlebrake though -it was hella loud with it.

Proabably 500 rounds through it with no problems.

I wont check my religious beliefs at the door....to accomodate you - nor will I apologize for them...

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Master Blaster

Ok, Thanks for your answers guys. I may just pick one up, I'v had pretty good luck with century so far. My GP WASR was perfect for the price it has been a flawless shooter from day one.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Ding
onomanopeoia

AKaholic #: 7821

there is a cetme,don't know the maker,but it has these cammo furniture on it for 600 at a gun shop i know here in orygun.it's called the philomath gun shop.it's on the internet.if you are interested.
Voice#7-"There's Nothing That a Screwdriver to the Temple Can't Fix"
SFC I Corps 68'-72'
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Demon

AKaholic #: 7052

ya might look into the new cetme forums
http://www.militaryfirearm.com/
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
Master Blaster

Would you guys say a Cetme would be worth trading a glock for? I know a guy from AR 15 thats willing to trade me his Cetme that has only had 80 rounds through it, no malfuntions according to him for my M30. Let me know what you guys think. I know a Glock is alot to give for a century but they're about = in value.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #12
Master Blaster

Also... when im looking through the for sale area on AR15 at the Cetmes i see people saying "I'll take it as long as it dont say sporter on the reciever" Do the Cetmes have the same deal as the WASR 10s? As in are some high cap and some low or what do these people mean?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #13
flug06

AKaholic #: 6741

when and if you get one pull the bolt and stock and pistol grip and reach your finger all around looking for rust I recently wound up with one of these that had the reciever rusted from the inside out....
flug06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:03 AM   #14
Master Blaster

Well the one i should be getting, the owner says functions flawlessly. which is probably more like good for a cetme but anyhoo, I ask more questions than any man would want to answer when getting a gun off the net lol so hopefully it will be a good one. g3 green stock set and sadly only a 5 round mag. Mags seem cheap though so i'll just pick a few up when i know i like the rifle. Also i saw a cool looking one on Gunbroker at $305 it was all camo. Not my style though.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
TheOtherChris

AKaholic #: 522

I like the two I have.
But they're earlier ones with good bolts and NICE wood.

If I was to buy one today, I'd have to look it over really well and check the headspace and bolt for beaver marks.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
boomboom

AKaholic #: 5783

Centurys from this century are garbage you will be hitting yourself in the head if you buy one.
boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM   #17
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Don't waste your money.

Drop a little more and get yourself a decent rifle.

I really can't recommend much of anything from Century.

Look at an FAL from DSA--STG 58 can be found reasonable and is a MUCH better rifle.

If you want a G3 clone save a little longer and look at the JLD PTR-91s.

I wanted a G3 clone for a long time, but didn't want to drop the change on an orig HK. Did finally pick up a Cetme from Century and while it functions fine, I am just wholly unimpressed. In the meantime I had looked at other weapons and the FAL just seemed to fit the bill better. Dependable, easy to trouble shoot and work on. I have 3 now and love them esp my Para Congo. Damn, that thing shoots milsurp just great.

I've got a Para Congo and an SA-58 carbine(that was a postban so I changed the bbl out after the ban with a new Imbel). The third is a Springfield SAR-48. Great shooter.

I doubt the CAI Cetme is going to get out much anymore.
drjarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
Master Blaster

If you dont mind me asking, What is it that makes you unimpressed with it?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #19
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster
If you dont mind me asking, What is it that makes you unimpressed with it?
-Fit and finish, welds.
-Accuracy is not great.
-When I got it, the sights were way off and I had to have a smith get that straightened out. it wasn't expensive but was a PITA that one shouldn't have to deal with in a new rifle and it is not like they are just turning out a few lemons. Pretty much the same problems across the board it seems.
-The bolt and carrier are fairly worn. At least mine aren't ground on.
-Magwell is too tight--easy to fix but if you buy one go easy at first and stretch that thing out just a little ar you will dmaage the paint finish.
-The receiver they use does not seem to be of great quality steel and with the finish on it, just about guaranteed to rust.
-Many of them in the past have had issues with the trigger pack not quite fitting correctly.

Mine is better than most I've seen or I wouldn't have bought it, but I wouldn't waste my money on another. It does go bang everytime, that much I can tell you so if that is what your after, then go for it, but expect to put some TLC in it to get it running up to snuff--and then maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. There is a cetme site on the net that can take you through some fixes.

The overall construction is just not that great IMO and I'd rather go a little upscale.
Their quality control is definitely lacking in general.

Your putting your face up against a powderkeg, esp with a .308, and that is something to keep in mind. I'd just like something built by someone with a little more skill.
drjarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #20
LCPL 4

AKaholic #: 6572

Most important thing to consider is the bolt gap. Have him give you a reading. If too low this may indicate a repress of the barrel is needed. Another problem associated with this is that the cocking tube stop was welded too shot and makes the charging handle rest against the bolt carrier. this will cause an inaccurate reading.

Other things to be wary of as stated above are incorrectly aligned iron sights. A reweld of rear or resolder of triple frame may be required to correct.

FTE issues may be caused by a low hanging.

It's general consensus that best ammo to shoot is surplus but if you go commercial then make sure you have a broken shell extractor.

Rifle was made of a parts kit. The barrels are usually not that great of a shape so accuracy isn't the greates. Rifles are usually extremely dirty and require a good amount of cleaning if they have't been allready. Other parts may be worn and need replacing such as recoil spring.

Muzzle break may have been installed misaligned - poor shooting.

Just some of the major stuff...
LCPL 4 is offline   Reply With Quote